AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-06-16, 00:38   Link #81
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

http://japancool.sblo.jp/article/45974081.html looks they took some comments from the ''lessons learned from anime'' thread here. Well, at least they now know what sort of important life lessons we all picked up

I have to say, as much as it is surreal to see my comment translated into Japanese, I was more interested in what the folks there had to say Some times, the reaction is pretty much the same as the foreign ones (what Marcus H. translated sounds a whole lot like comments you'd find in an English forum ) and sometimes it's expected (some Preview thread, like the Summer 2011, had a few people accusing us of stealing their shows via fansubs) and then at times it's totally nuts (translating threads, even entire blog posts )

Small world indeed
Old 2011-06-16, 12:29   Link #82
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
カリフォルニア 男性
まどか 「希望を抱くのが間違いだなんて言われたら、私そんなのは
  違うって何度でも言い返せます。きっといつまでも言い張れます」

その他に俺が学んだこと。
● 赤い目をしたキュートな動物の言う事は絶対に信じるな
● 何かを落としたらトンデモナイことになる
● 敵が本当に死んでるかどうかを必ず確認しろ
● スターライトブレイカーとディバインバスターは全てを解決する
● ハルヒよりも鶴屋さんの方がイイ
● バンドにはお茶とケーキと休暇が良く似合う
● 梓は売れる
● 考えるな!まずは買うんだ!
lol I was quoted too... though I don't know what quotes they picked from me... (somewhat)
Old 2011-06-16, 19:53   Link #83
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
スターライトブレイカーとディバインバスターは全てを解決する
Translated: Everything can be settled by Starlight Breaker and Divine Buster.

I hope that it rings a bell.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 20:56   Link #84
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

I've wondered if any of my thoughts have made it to any of these sites. I have looked on some of them, but I have not seen any of my handiwork... granted, some of it may have been lost in translation and not match what the things for which I have been looking.
Old 2011-06-16, 21:41   Link #85
勝利は単純な魂の中に

Quote:
ケイカク [ Keikaku ] の意味が " plan " だったこと。
そして、人は殺されれば死ぬこと。
LOL I see my quoting Shirou's "people die if they are killed" line didn't go over too well. There was a 2-chan thread awhile back where everyone was amused that foreigners thought this line was funny. I see they still haven't forgotten.

WE ALL KNOW THE MEME IS TAKING THE LINE OUT OF CONTEXT. You don't need to write a whole paragraph explaining to me the context of the line. Jesus.

Like why would you write a comment like this:
Quote:
人は殺されれば死ぬってフレーズだけだとマヌケだけど
それが当たり前なんだってフレーズまで入ってると別段おかしくはないな
"The line is stupid if you only have 'people die if they are killed' but if you include the 'that's obvious' line after it then it's not strange."

Oh wow, I couldn't have figured that out myself...
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 22:26   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Internet trolls go in looking for things to find "wrong"... and aren't interested in checking context.
Old 2011-06-17, 00:30   Link #87
Rozen Van Kaizer
Rozen Von Keiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreams View Post
"The line is stupid if you only have 'people die if they are killed' but if you include the 'that's obvious' line after it then it's not strange."

Oh wow, I couldn't have figured that out myself...
Person1: People die if they are killed, that's obvious.
My Response still: ....... No Duh Sherlock!

With of without that other line, Still sounds pretty stupid to me. Unless you're high or think everything is an art
Rozen Van Kaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 01:55   Link #88
Kagayaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I do recall a poll for locations in the General sub-forum, but it wasn't taken seriously, since anyone who wanted to reveal his location would have already done so in his profile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
The AS forums appear to be using Quantcast, which probably means one or more of the admins have access to geographic statistics on the site's visitors (all visitors, not just registered users, although it would probably be a reasonable estimation of the breakdown of registered users as well). So if we want to know, we can just ask them, unless there's some reason they wouldn't want to disclose those numbers. I can't think of any off the top of my head though.
I forgot that Quantcast data is publicly viewable.

Here's the by-country breakdown of forums.animesuki.com's visitors.
http://www.quantcast.com/forums.anim.../geo/countries
Old 2011-06-17, 02:02   Link #89
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
I forgot that Quantcast data is publicly viewable.

Here's the by-country breakdown of forums.animesuki.com's visitors.
http://www.quantcast.com/forums.anim.../geo/countries
I wasn't expecting Japan to rank so highly on the list. So they really are out there... watching us, reading our posts.

Hehe.
Old 2011-06-17, 02:11   Link #90
Kagayaki

Yeah, if I'm reading the uniques index correctly, Singapore is the most overrepresented country, followed by the Phillipines, then Malaysia, then Japan, and then Australia (among countries with reasonable amounts of traffic). India, Turkey, and Korea are all pretty underrepresented. I'm not sure what benchmark they're comparing to to get that index though.

Also, among US states, CA is pretty overrepresented, even though it already has the largest population anyways. So something like 9% of global visits here are from CA. On the other end of the spectrum, pretty much nobody here comes from Wyoming...

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2011-06-17 at 02:21. Reason: avoiding double post
Kagayaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-18, 19:46   Link #91
Dextro
He Without a Title

UOU can't believe I'm somewhere in there too (from the 2011 Spring Expectations Thread):
Quote:
Dextro リスボン 23歳 男性
C - あらすじが面白そうだったから
日常 - 単純に言って京アニだから
アップルシードXIII - 映画が楽しめたし、この作品はもっと長時間
   見せるべきだと思ってた。考える必要もなく必見
Damn, makes you feel weird doesn't it?

But it's not surprising since we're constantly asking about 2chan and the like to gauge the japanese otaku opinions as well.

It's just a shame that we can't interact more directly due to the language barrier, it would be awesome if some more japanese fans would be able to join in the animesuki discussions or some (more?) of us join in on theirs.
Old 2011-06-20, 08:22   Link #92
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

What the, I've turned up too! This soo freaky. It almost makes me feel kind of good. Someone thinks my opinion is worth translating.

Here it is, they're quoting me from the summer expectations thread. A few others as well.

Can anyone tell me if there's any context to it? Or is it just a straight translation with no commentary?

EDIT: They even took the care to say I'm 22 and from Ireland! It just feels so ... touching! Hi translator man!

EDIT 2: I also found out that I appeared on another Japanese website way back in 2007. The japanese have obviously been translating english forums (this was from ANN in fact) for quite a while. I wonder why nobody noticed earlier...

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2011-06-20 at 08:33.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-20, 10:45   Link #93
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This afternoon I was browsing through the "referer log" for my image archive site. The referer reports the page that requests an object on your site. Most of the references are for my collected signature images, and most of the remainder are for my Nina Fortner picture, but there are others as well. In particular, I saw a bunch of requests from honyaku.yahoofs.jp which points to a page from our thread about Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san. For the LULZ, as they say, I decided to retranslate yahoofs.jp's version in English using Google's translation engine. Here are the three pages for comparison:

Original AS English

Translation to Japanese by yahoofs.jp

Translation to English by Google

There are some sweet things in the retranslation. Forsaken_Infinity writes:
Quote:
Apparently. lol. Seji-sensei's love for the 'plush-toy' turned him into one!!! Watfek man.
After this goes through both yahoofs.jp and google, it comes out the other side as
Quote:
Obviously. lol。 lol. 『豪華なおもちゃ』に対するセジ-先生の愛情は、彼を1に変えました!!!Watfek人。 "Luxury Toys" compliments for - loving teacher, he changed to 1! People Watfek.
I smiled when I saw I had become "loving teacher" though perhaps that's because of a misspelling? I notice the translation seemed to leave all the usernames alone. (I chose "SeijiSensei" because it's one translation for "politics teacher" which I have been in real life. It's also a common male name.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 20:57   Link #94
Midonin
Last Engage

Recent find on this subject.

This is a bit of an old thread, but I came across this blog mostly by accident. It's covering a lot of recent shows, and a fair bit of the comments are taken from here. I'm mostly interested in the comments that are my own, but I'm sure people can find theirs, too.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 23:33   Link #95
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

this thread is interesting, there must have been some japanese read this thread but never commented.

btw, i found another thread translating blog here, it only list comment as [nationality] Man or Woman though.

reading those using google trans is breaking my hard-learned english

Last edited by Kimidori; 2012-08-23 at 23:05.
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 01:11   Link #96
larethian

^ LOL at the Japanese comments on 4chan thread on festivals, especially on the underwear .
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 05:20   Link #97
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
I had one in a case they thought I was a Japanese living in Malaysia just because I used perfect Japanese at one point for a certain fanart...

Until someone debunked it. Well thanks whoever saw that if you're reading this! I'm still embarrassed you saw my use of your language in which I don't have a good mastery of, unlike our venerable... translators.

Yeah, sometimes knowing what they think about us can be pretty amusing

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote