AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-01-06, 17:55   Link #41
moodie

Probably the one anime id put all my hype in a basket for. And i was pleasantly suprised even after hyping it up. Some anime cant really match the hype or just turn out a bit better than expected.

The story, fanservice, animation, art, ost, ect. The whole package is fantastic. The reason why it worked so well is because kyoani is very self aware of what they are getting themselves into. This is an anime that isnt taking itself srsly but at the same time not falling into the everyday boring tropes most light novel adaptions take (i personally like the genericness at times).

Fav scene is the limbo scene. Now i do admit that the exposition was a bit in ur face but its telling a world we arent familar with. Many people thought this was going to be another chuunibyou type anime. However its more than that which is why the exposition was needed. I never comment on stuff like that cuz i think its stupid but i guess its something to note and help ppl understand why it was needed.

Story does look more unique than most but hey its only one episode i cant defend this as if its a finished piece. Lets see how kyoani does with the next 12 episodes.
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 17:57   Link #42
Hakuro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
Guess in this forum, it's crazy over 4chan though.
Please... 4chan is just the containtment please for Kyoani fans, they're spamming threads like crazy, same happened with Hibike.
Hakuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 18:09   Link #43
Dop
Mmmm....

As a rule I generally like KyoAni stuff, but this first episode left me cold.
Well, OK, limbo dancing telegraph poles was imaginative, at least, but so far the show has nothing to grab me.

I kind of felt that KyoAni's last 'teens battle supernatural things' anime - Kyoukai no Kanata - would have been vastly improved without stock otaku pandering such as the glasses fetish and sister fetish, not to mention the big cop-out ending, and I suspect this is going to fall into the same hole.

See how it goes.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 18:21   Link #44
moodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
As a rule I generally like KyoAni stuff, but this first episode left me cold.
Well, OK, limbo dancing telegraph poles was imaginative, at least, but so far the show has nothing to grab me.

I kind of felt that KyoAni's last 'teens battle supernatural things' anime - Kyoukai no Kanata - would have been vastly improved without stock otaku pandering such as the glasses fetish and sister fetish, not to mention the big cop-out ending, and I suspect this is going to fall into the same hole.

See how it goes.
I doubt it would since KnK took itself too srsly while this is a fun show. Unless they try to force some sort of melodrama they have a clear path for a good series by being fun in its own merits.
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 18:30   Link #45
KnightShade

the humor was genuinely funny, and the execution of certain cliches was equally funny.

i like the concept if only for being so out there

booby-chan seems like the second coming of 50 cent XD

the visuals was so good but what really got me was the great ost. OP and ED are also good as well

a great start to the winter season.

#allaboutthatexecution
Old 2016-01-06, 18:45   Link #46
Amiluhur
Gondok

"Crap, this is turning into super-cliched datim sim encounter!"

This line, and the sequences that follow, got me laughing my ass off. It just so completely caught me off guard.

Yep, i'm following this.
Amiluhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 18:47   Link #47
bakato

A fairly casual battle harem.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 19:09   Link #48
Draco Spirit

Quiet a funny show and I rather enjoyed it all in all. Not sure if it's a keeper or not yet, since I think we need to give it a few more episodes to some if it can get some sort of serous plot moving.

BUT!

It's episode one, it's purpose was to introduce the setting and cast.. which it did!

Of note I liked the intro scene, and the use of the little sprite/comic relief character in it, plus her general use throughout.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 19:13   Link #49
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Is it me, or has there been less hype for this than any KyoAni series since, like, ever?
It feels like a placeholder series until KyoAni releases their bigger hype movie The Silent Voice.

Unless this title becomes an unexpected franchise success.
Old 2016-01-06, 19:19   Link #50
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

My thought process with this series:

Haruhiko and Mai confirmed childhood friends in the OP... FUCK YEAH!

"ONEE-SAMA!" Oh boy, KyoAni, here we go again...

As for hype for this show, honestly I can see why people aren't as hot about this as others. I mean, it's like a chuunibyou's dream come true, and not only did they do Chuuni, but they did something similar already with Kyoukai no Kanata. I do like that this is more light hearted and much less serious than KnK, but with the triple battle action fantasy LN adaptation last cour, I imagine a lot of people aren't as keen into having another one.

Personally, I enjoyed it despite the fanservice is not really up my alley. (I'm more of a panchira than a boobs guy tbh ) This is not a masterpiece pilot episode by any means, but it sure was entertaining.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 19:23   Link #51
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Anyway, this episode is an introductory episode, no surprise there. I don't seem to like the background music in some scenes, although that's just me who has been used to listening to Maiko Iuchi's works. It sounded too SOL-ish when some scenes needed a more fantasy beat. Aside from that, nothing to discuss much. We still need to get to Koito's episode first, at least.

I really should look into youkai. Kyoukai no Kanata's own version (youmu) isn't like youkai, and the mention of the tsukumogami reminds me of Yotsugi-chan.

Also, I never thought that Reina's gonna sound like Miyuki Shiba. @_@
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 19:51   Link #52
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As for hype for this show, honestly I can see why people aren't as hot about this as others. I mean, it's like a chuunibyou's dream come true, and not only did they do Chuuni, but they did something similar already with Kyoukai no Kanata. I do like that this is more light hearted and much less serious than KnK, but with the triple battle action fantasy LN adaptation last cour, I imagine a lot of people aren't as keen into having another one.
all i see is people hyping this up simply because of the studio and "kyoani finds away" memes lol
Old 2016-01-06, 20:20   Link #53
DorkingtonPugsly

I knew we wouldn't get to see much of Koito in ep 1. So still looking forward to that.
Old 2016-01-06, 20:23   Link #54
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

This is a bit of a weird one. On the one hand, MC-kun is entertaining: he has some genuine weaknesses (such as how he actually did start spinning off onto a tangent about manticores--using one as a simile/compliment was silly enough, but then when he starts digressing about their literary background, that was funny) to give him some flavor, and his well-read background actually proved useful. And I like the world setting; it's light-hearted and fun so long as they don't start taking things with deadly seriousness later in the show. I liked the OP theme. And Ruru is just great.

On the other hand, the fanservice...just came off as weird and out of place. There's not enough of it for it to be effective as fanservice; it's more like, "hey, boobs are bouncing!" "Hey, she's pawing herself to use her powers!" "Hey, it's a girl's rear end!" are being presented as punchlines instead of supposed to be actually something we're supposed to want to look at it. Once it actually worked--Mai successfully accounting for jiggle physics in doing the limbo was amusing. Most of the time it failed--the panty-stripe incident (I'd have thought it was a lot funnier if either he'd successfully avoided the cliche incident after identifying it as one or else she'd reacted with a calm "what, why would I get mad over such a cliched accident?") most obviously--saying "This is a cliche!" before a trope is used is not a joke. And Kurumi has my future-creepiness radar pinging. It makes me feel like I'm one of those people who watches the Three Stooges and doesn't get the joke.

I'm sticking with it for now, but it could easily go into the drop bin if it goes the wrong way.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 20:50   Link #55
aakun4

Well I originally was going to never watch this because I had enough of shitty VL adaptations for the rest of my life but since it was Kyoani's first try at the genre and they always produce beautiful shows plus it was one of the first anime to begin this season I decided to give it a try after all.

...but yeah, dropping it was the correct choice lol.

It was still as top quality in animation as any other Kyoani show and the MC's good looks made it easier to finish the episode but the VL template was too strong for me. I hope the people into the genre enjoy it though!
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 20:50   Link #56
ghost013

Overall, this episode was ok, the animation and voice acting was good which is expected from Kyoani. The characters were likeable and the world building was interesting. Because this is a harem, there has to be fanservice, but wasn't really borderline hentai like To Love Ru or Highschool DxD which is a plus for me. The limbo scene with the poles caught me off guard, but in a good way. It also actually felt kind of intense for moment with mai on the last round.

My main gripe is the pacing which felt kind of rushed. Most of the characters were introduced kind of quick in this first episode and their roles were explained, but I didn't really get a good sense of the character because it tried to setup everything. Since this is only the first episode, hopefully the later episodes will be pace better.
Old 2016-01-06, 21:13   Link #57
reynoldszac

Quote:
Haruhiko and Mai confirmed childhood friends in the OP... FUCK YEAH
Did that opening confirm that? I thought she was just his senpai I mean if they are it's weird how he calls her Mai senpai unless he doesn't remember being her childhood friend. As for the hype for this show I feel like it's an under the radar show its not like Chuni where everyone automatically knew about it due to its popularity from its novel.
reynoldszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-06, 21:17   Link #58
Dr. Casey

I really enjoyed this first episode. Very creative, very fun, nice characters. Show has a lot of potential.

Credit to the scene where Izumi uses her ability for the first time for being one of the very few times an anime has honestly freaked me out a little.
Old 2016-01-06, 21:34   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldszac View Post
Did that opening confirm that? I thought she was just his senpai I mean if they are it's weird how he calls her Mai senpai unless he doesn't remember being her childhood friend. As for the hype for this show I feel like it's an under the radar show its not like Chuni where everyone automatically knew about it due to its popularity from its novel.
Hmm well maybe not confirmed, but could be implied. The OP does show both Haruhiko and Mai as children in back to back 'moments' in the OP. Not necessarily at the same place, but...one could imply that they knew each other as children. Childhood friends are a pretty standard thing so it's not out of reasonable grounds to call that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I really enjoyed this first episode. Very creative, very fun, nice characters. Show has a lot of potential.

Credit to the scene where Izumi uses her ability for the first time for being one of the very few times an anime has honestly freaked me out a little.
Yeah, that was a scene with some impact. That was just like . The mouth just opens and then.....she goes Kirby on those things .
Old 2016-01-06, 21:46   Link #60
Freeter
beyond

Hoo boy, there's going to be a ton of Mai doujins come next Comiket

Might as well go all out and have her cosplay as Mai Shiranui. They already did Nakoruru

Tags
harem, special powers