AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-01-01, 03:11   Link #21
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
The coins are for unlocking Music Box tracks, I think.
I collected four coins and have all 11 tracks regardless.
Arachanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 03:14   Link #22
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachanox View Post
Just played through it all. From what I can tell, and my views are somewhat subjective because I can't read Japanese, this:

Spoiler:

edit: Also, anyone can feel free to ask me a few questions (as long as they don't involve too much detail - I caught the gist of the episode but not much more). I'll try to verify/debunk any rumors you might have heard.
Did you get different endings with different combination of choices? I assume you don't get immediately ushered to a bad ending if you make enough mistakes?

Anyway summaries. Take the start of their arrival on Rokkenjima and Ange and Battler's Meta talk.

Spoiler for Summaries:
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 03:17   Link #23
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Did you get different endings with different combination of choices? I assume you don't get immediately ushered to a bad ending if you make enough mistakes?

Anyway summaries. Take the start of their arrival on Rokkenjima and Ange and Battler's Meta talk.

Spoiler for Summaries:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-01-01, 04:22   Link #24
Mikachiru
test

I'm very curious about the coins. No one seems to know what they do. Kind of odd.
Old 2011-01-01, 04:24   Link #25
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikachiru View Post
I'm very curious about the coins. No one seems to know what they do. Kind of odd.
As I type this, I am reviewing the final ??? with 100% coins to look for any changes.
Old 2011-01-01, 04:35   Link #26
Arachanox
Trust the red.

No good. I'm at a loss. I don't know what the coins are for, if anything. But I have tried non-complete coins Magic/Trick endings, and complete coins Magic/Trick endings, and they are the same. So...a secret ending is either nonexistent or based on the Murder Game.

I give up for tonight. I'll be around for a bit longer and then I'm going to bed. Happy New Years' everyone!
Old 2011-01-01, 04:37   Link #27
Cross Clown
rule 63, pl0x

I think maybe you're going to have to be forced to go through the whole thing again.
Cross Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 04:42   Link #28
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Clown View Post
I think maybe you're going to have to be forced to go through the whole thing again.
I considered this, but I realized "how would the game's save files even know the difference?"

Honestly, the save file is just a point in a gigantic script, it doesn't carry baggage like "coins collected or no?"

I believe that data is stored in the game's code itself, not within the individual save files. Then again, my knowledge of the onscripter code is not optimal, so I might be wrong. SOMEONE GO FIND THE SECRET ENDING
Old 2011-01-01, 04:43   Link #29
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

More summaries here. Contains the meeting of Battler and Ange with Beato and the discussion in the distinguished guest room.

Spoiler for Summaries:

I'm hooked no matter what the ending is. I might try a whole 24 hour run, sanity willing.

I've also mentally erased my spoilered biases based on the stuff people posted from 2ch. As it stands, yes, I'm really getting the feeling that a heartwarming true ending may never occur...
Old 2011-01-01, 04:48   Link #30
hilly
hilly

The puzzle remind me of EP 5,Erika's quiz. Erika mention a question can lead to several answer by thinking out of the box and other reasoning than the authentic answer.Maybe that would mean there are 'other answer' than the correct answer with different reasoning.
So,maybe,just maybe,you must thinking out of box and get the 'wrong but right' answer to get different ending?Then you can get a new "fantasy' ending?
But this may as well R7 try to troll us,so I can't say for sure unless some1 can post the puzzle to discuss in this thread to see if there are other reasoning to choose the 'other answer"?
hilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 04:49   Link #31
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Update regarding the coins. And I kind of noticed this myself but didn't realize it until someone pointed it out.

There are at least 1 'special scenes' which give out a few extra clues, dispersed through the game. The more coins you have, the more scenes you see. For instance, on my first play through, I did not see a scene where

Spoiler:

but I did see it on the 100% playthrough. This may be my bad memory, or the purpose of the coins.
Old 2011-01-01, 04:55   Link #32
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Update regarding the coins. And I kind of noticed this myself but didn't realize it until someone pointed it out.

There are at least 1 'special scenes' which give out a few extra clues, dispersed through the game. The more coins you have, the more scenes you see. For instance, on my first play through, I did not see a scene where

Spoiler:

but I did see it on the 100% playthrough. This may be my bad memory, or the purpose of the coins.
At what point exactly do you need to have the coins you gathered and start getting the bonus scenes?

Anyway I'm gonna start posting my notes on my blog as a whole rather than in bits, aside from this thread, for anyone who wants references.
Old 2011-01-01, 04:57   Link #33
Mikachiru
test

When does the coin thing happen? Before the murder game, right?
Spoiler:
Old 2011-01-01, 04:58   Link #34
Arachanox
Trust the red.

@imbehindyou: when I played at not 100%, I had only 4 coins instead of all of them. Answering the murder quiz (in my opinion, unverified) incorrectly does nothing since the game can't advance until you do answer it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
At what point exactly do you need to have the coins you gathered and start getting the bonus scenes?

Anyway I'm gonna start posting my notes on my blog as a whole rather than in bits, aside from this thread, for anyone who wants references.
The only bonus scene I am aware right now is the Parentage one, and it appears very soon after the end of the coin riddles.

edit: Yes Mikachiru; after coin riddles, before murder quiz.
Old 2011-01-01, 05:43   Link #35
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
I will admit my feelings for the ??? are mixed, but I know I haven't read the real thing in plain English yet. Even still, the talk about what it is truly about is a bit unsettling - but even if those rumors are true, I think I can still accept it as the truth.

And what an unexpected truth it is.

edit: @fer: Ryukishi said the mystery was done in EP7. A lot of the people who 'feel cheated' and are raging in general either had the wrong expectations or are just going on false-rumor-fueled ragetrips (specifically /jp/).
Well that's why we're here right, to quell rumors with actual facts.

Anyway more summaries before I take a bath. This is the entirety of 1998 Ange and her metascenes.

Spoiler for Summaries:

So I've decided to post my entire notes online on my blog. For better reference, since it's exactly the same, you can find it here.

Twilight of the Golden Witch Summaries.
Old 2011-01-01, 08:27   Link #36
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm still reading it, but you know what is actually amusing?
It is that most complains are based on impressions and -interpretations- that aren't their own. It is a bit funny to see critics and so forth regarding spoilers and others elements that potentially lack the context at hand.

That reminds me how so many people were misunderstanding what happened with Eva back with Episode 7.

For now, I'm past the point after a "Fantasy/Mystery" brawling bash, and I still enjoy this episode immensily, because of the high dose of awesome.
I don't have any idea what's left, but I will keep my judgement once -I- finish reading, not based on interpreted points that aren't under my "own" bias.

By the way, this episode just confirms a lot of things I was expecting from Bern. In fact, it just brings me a grin for quite a while.
Old 2011-01-01, 08:34   Link #37
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm still reading it, but you know what is actually amusing?
It is that most complains are based on impressions and -interpretations- that aren't their own. It is a bit funny to see critics and so forth regarding spoilers and others elements that potentially lack the context at hand.

That reminds me how so many people were misunderstand what happened with Eva back with Episode 7.

For now, I'm past the point after a "Fantasy/Mystery" brawling bash, and I still enjoy this episode immensily, because of the high dose of awesome.
I don't have any idea what's left, but I will keep my judgement once -I- finish reading, not based on interpreted points that aren't under my "own" bias.
Well that's not to say that such speculations are wrong. For those who can't get access to the game right now, this is pretty much all they can rely on. I wanted to come out and question those who were making wide ranging conclusions and interpretations of the game if they actually played it before saying such things, but that would be rather arrogant of me.

This was the reason why I had to mentally filter out the spoiler thread contents that I read when the game came given the chaotic amount of stuff people were posting everywhere so that at least I wouldn't start playing already biased.

I do have a suggestion for this: perhaps open the spoilers and speculations thread again for those who have not yet played the game and are basing their posts on second hand information. At the very least it's still speculative in nature and content, and we could limit this thread for those who have actually played the game so that first hand and second hand information that jive and clash don't muddle up the entire scene.

I don't really blame them though. It's kind of like the news these days. So much biased bullshit that it's hard to separate fact from interpretation. I'm not immune to this, and most of my summaries are still subject to such bias even though I'm trying my best to minimize them.
Old 2011-01-01, 08:39   Link #38
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Acknowledged. I did not see any purpose for the spoiler and speculation thread, but so long a clear run through of the game isn't available, even the information given by those who are reading is being warped to some extent.

I will open the spoiler thread again, although it shall serve for them alone. Episode 7 is -solely- destined from true elements of that episode only, along with opinions. Questions and the likes must be directed in the other thread.

I will clean up this thread whenever I have the time for that. However, I will take harsh measure should I see fit.
Old 2011-01-01, 08:42   Link #39
witchfan

I think Klash makes a fair point here; without reading the story, we really don't know how good it is. I'll make a bolder point: EP8 is going to be a highly enjoyable read, even if you don't like the solution. There's something to the formula of unexpected twists, logic duels, great music and bittersweet endings that would make almost anyone sold on this.

However, I do believe that spoilers should be given a little more credibility when they have to do with the content of the mystery in itself. There's less room for personal interpretation as far as these go (the culprit is the culprit regardless of how epic the revelation is, and you can't go wrong with this trivial a motive either). And in the end, I really don't want to see Umineko as a work that, while really fun to read, is inconsistent, incomplete, and poor as a mystery.

I still do have my doubts, though, and what I wrote shouldn't be taken too seriously. I suppose I am just a bit too frustrated at these supposed spoilers.

e- I would appreciate if you don't delete what people wrote so far. At the very least, move it to Spoilers & Speculations, as, while you may disagree with us, we do make several points worthy of a discussion.
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 08:48   Link #40
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I do not claim there is no credibility with spoilers.
Why, as there are people reading the tale after all.

However, I think it is something that was ironically already addressed in umineko: the interpretation of the tale is extremely personal, especially the direction of the story (not the facts themselves) are quite ambiguous.
Mystery? Fantasy?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more like people are acting like Ange. I sure do not deny that I was as pissed as Chibi Ange with Battler's charades at first, but if you think more about it, the truth itself isn't the only important thing, especially for the readers who aren't -personally implicated- by the events.

This is why I find odd for people to be trigger happy, while they do not have the correct reading. When you see a red text, it can also be vastly different with the little chat before and after that.
This is the same this time, albeit you have more noise (personal interpretation/translation).

Hence, I believe it is just too ironic for some of us to criticize the tale, when they didn't read it themselves.
In fact, the whole situation is -extremely- similar to the "goat madness" scene. It almost look like Ryukishi expected that...