AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-01-22, 21:15   Link #41
pikachuwei

Mami reminds me of Descartes Shaman from Gundam 00 Movie.

all that promotion in trailers and official arts etc

and the dude gets offed so quickly XD
Old 2011-01-22, 21:46   Link #42
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Mami reminds me of Descartes Shaman from Gundam 00 Movie.
Well... we'll see in the fourth ep if this really is the case.

Spoiler for What has /a/ done?:
Old 2011-01-22, 22:45   Link #43
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genten View Post
it would be the perfect horror that would keep Sayaka and Madoka out of Mami's fate.
Except that, in the current situation, it had a strong possibility of driving them straight into said fate. With Mami dead, Madoka and Sayaka would have no chance of fighting or even surviving the witch unless they became magical girls right then. And had Homura been a few seconds later, it's likely that one of them would have done it.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 00:03   Link #44
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I've been thinking a lot about Mami and her role in recruiting for Kyuube, and whether she's "evil" or at the very least, morally culpable. I think the best analogy for me is to think of Kyuubey as a sexual predator. Sometimes serial predators will use children to lure other children into their clutches - whether via threat or "Stockholm Syndrome" or some other vehicle, children who are unable to break free of their captors. In that sense I think Mami was basically saying, "Get in the car, little girls - see, I did it and everything's fine." Of course the true villain is not Mami - she's a victim too. But she's also got the blood of those girls she lured into Kyuube's clutches (past and current) on her hands. I think she had a change of heart - or at least a burst of conscience - there at the very end, but for Madoka and Sayaka, they came too late.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 00:14   Link #45
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Originally, the goal for Mami was supposedly to recruit Madoka due to her and Homura's discussion about something involving Madoka that will make her incredibly stronger then the others. Since she is stuck with Kyubee after getting her wish granted, she just followed along and tried to recruit them. But during episode 3, she actually started to feel bonded towards Madoka when the duo offer was proposed and she was not afraid as long as she was with the person who she admired. So everything about Mami made a complete turn, but had to come to a conclusion.

That's what I think you mean Guardian Enzo right?
Old 2011-01-23, 00:15   Link #46
Genten
has a custom user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Except that, in the current situation, it had a strong possibility of driving them straight into said fate. With Mami dead, Madoka and Sayaka would have no chance of fighting or even surviving the witch unless they became magical girls right then. And had Homura been a few seconds later, it's likely that one of them would have done it.
See, that's where Homura comes in. She bound Homura in ribbon that was directly linked to her magic. I'm willing to bet this wasn't an irrational act on Mami's part: she would have kept Homura bound to keep her from interferring until Mami had gone through her plan. When the ribbon disappeared Homura knew something was up and, because she's dead set on protecting Madoka, she came to their rescue. Certainly, the plan wasn't perfect but it was probably the best Mami could set up then and there.
Old 2011-01-23, 00:21   Link #47
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Originally, the goal for Mami was supposedly to recruit Madoka due to her and Homura's discussion about something involving Madoka that will make her incredibly stronger then the others. Since she is stuck with Kyubee after getting her wish granted, she just followed along and tried to recruit them. But during episode 3, she actually started to feel bonded towards Madoka when the duo offer was proposed and she was not afraid as long as she was with the person who she admired. So everything about Mami made a complete turn, but had to come to a conclusion.

That's what I think you mean Guardian Enzo right?
More or less, though I think "complete turn" is more credit than I would give Mami. I think it's more of a guilty conscience than a true change of heart - as she got to know Madoka as a person and not just a potential recruit, she began to feel remorse over luring her into Kyuube's clutches. What we don't know in all this (and may never, who knows) is how many other girls Mami helped lure into Kyuube's control. It could be several and based on Mami's dialogue in the last episode, I suspect it's at least one or two and they've already died. But of course, that's 100% speculation on my part.
Old 2011-01-23, 00:30   Link #48
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
More or less, though I think "complete turn" is more credit than I would give Mami. I think it's more of a guilty conscience than a true change of heart - as she got to know Madoka as a person and not just a potential recruit, she began to feel remorse over luring her into Kyuube's clutches. What we don't know in all this (and may never, who knows) is how many other girls Mami helped lure into Kyuube's control. It could be several and based on Mami's dialogue in the last episode, I suspect it's at least one or two and they've already died. But of course, that's 100% speculation on my part.
She did feel alot of burden being pressured on her. All that cannot just come from her past and how she has to deal with the witches. So that speculation may actually be true in a sense.
Old 2011-01-23, 03:25   Link #49
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
As I mentioned on your blog, I saw Mami as a well intentioned extremist, but episode 3 does lend some strong support to theories along the line of what you and Clarste are saying. I just didn't pick up on it when I initially watched because, well... so much happened in episode 3. I had to actually rewatch a few scenes and think about the implications for my theory.

I'm hoping she gets revived though - flawed sure, but she was my favourite character so far just on the basis of pure charm.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 10:39   Link #50
redgrnbluylw

Quote:
I think the best analogy for me is to think of Kyuubey as a sexual predator.
Seriously, I Lol'd when I read this. Interesting way of thinking of him, I gotta say. But I think I sort of agree with what you say, but maybe he's not doing it for completely evil or selfish reasons.
redgrnbluylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 17:08   Link #51
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
As to why she didn't break out of Mami's binding ... well, she was caught outside her MG setup, and it could be that the girls don't posses any special ability unless transformed, which the binding likely prevented her from doing.
Mami wasn't in her MG setup when she bound Homura. So, they can obviously perform some special powers even without their setup.

What the actual limitations are, without their MG setup, is impossible to say based off what we've seen so far. All we know is when Mami used her "special power" without being in her MG-wear, it came from her soul gem (ala ring).
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 22:15   Link #52
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Most likely, the MG gear allows them to bring out their full potentional, whereas their normal setup they probably cant do as much.

Itll probably never be explained, but that how things like this tend to go.

EDIT: So, in so many words, what the guy above me said.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 04:05   Link #53
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrnbluylw View Post
Quote:
I think the best analogy for me is to think of Kyuubey as a sexual predator.
Seriously, I Lol'd when I read this. Interesting way of thinking of him, I gotta say. But I think I sort of agree with what you say, but maybe he's not doing it for completely evil or selfish reasons.
So Kyuubey is a Pedomon?

*Dodges*

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 11:04   Link #54
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

LOL, I think people are focusing too much on the wrong part of that phrase I used - "Predator" is the key word for the analogy...
Old 2011-01-27, 06:01   Link #55
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

On the official website a line about Mami's death was added to her character profile yesterday but just now it disappeared.

Some sort of secret meaning?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 18:06   Link #56
Dark Wing

I don't know what else I could say that hasn't already been said about Mami's untimely demises...but I believe this video click can illustrate my reaction when I first saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uEVPmZSjnw
Old 2011-01-27, 20:35   Link #57
Saber Cherry
Marionette

There's a trend of magical girls destined to fight their friends. You have Pretty Sammy vs Pixy Misa; Nanoha vs Fate; Nanoha vs Hayate (and minions); Yuna Kagurazaka vs virtually all her (subsequent) friends; Akazukin vs Gretel; etc. It's just a common theme - I have not watched Black Rock Shooter, by the way, but I know it's there, as well.

So I'm wondering. What if magical girls turn (or have an opportunity to turn) into witches when they are killed in battle? We still don't know where witches come from...

In other news... Clarste made a good post, but I don't necessarily agree with the premise of Mami being evil or selfish. Consider that she actually died many years ago, and was granted an extension on life by Kyuubei. From that perspective...

A) Mami might be a puppet of Kyuubei, created and (at least partly) controlled for the sole (excuse the pun) purpose of getting Madoka to sign a contract. I think this is unlikely, but somewhat intriguing.

B) Considering that Mami was alive for the past ~6 years only because Kyuubei specifically granted her life, it would be appropriate and expected if she were grateful - even if some conditions were placed on her. If I had a terminal illness and a doctor extended my life by 6 years, but I had to eat a very strict diet and jog 12 miles a day, would I be grateful? Yes. And I would encourage others to visit my doctor, even if they were not terminally ill.

Ultimately, she did not seem selfish to me, just a bit misguided - if all she wanted were friends and a normal life, and thought Kyuubei was evil, she could have allowed him to be killed in episode 1 (unless, of course, he was sustaining her).

Anyway~

I'm hoping Madoka uses her wish to bring Mami back to life.
Old 2011-01-28, 00:01   Link #58
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Ultimately, she did not seem selfish to me, just a bit misguided - if all she wanted were friends and a normal life, and thought Kyuubei was evil, she could have allowed him to be killed in episode 1 (unless, of course, he was sustaining her).
Just like to point out that I think it's obvious they can't kill Kyube. Hurt him, sure. Kill, no. If Homura could actually kill Kyuube, she'd have kept trying. She stopped attacking him because he came into contact with Madoka. Which insinuates all she was doing was harassing Kyuube to prevent him from coming into contact with Madoka. It's clear she does not want Madoka to become a Magical Girl, so if she was able to kill Kyuube, she'd have kept trying (especially with Mami dead).
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 02:45   Link #59
scr
my sides are in orbit

@Saber Cherry:
well, the doctor have good intention; the same thing can't be said about QB. also, your doctor won't force you to go through hellish superhero life.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:09   Link #60
Jimmy C

Even before ep6, I had been thinking, by the end of the series, we'd glad Mami died before going through what the other girls are going to face.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters