AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-06-20, 06:57   Link #21
sneaker

Yes, many "trusted" sites are affected. They don't even have to be hacked, but infected ads are being loaded from external services. Adblockers provide additional protection. But I really have to stress the plug-in issue again: please do deactivate or at least update Java and Flash. Replace Adobe Reader with PDF X-Change, Sumatra PDF, Foxit or similar.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 07:37   Link #22
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Or don't use Windows. Or just use it for things you need it for like, say, Photoshop. Running Windows in a virtual machine on top of Linux or OSX can be a good compromise. I have a copy of Win7 installed in a VirtualBox VM on my Linux desktop that I use on the rare occasions when I need to run MS Access. One of the nice things about this arrangement is that you can save a "snapshot" of the pristine version of Windows after installation. If the working copy gets compromised, you can just blow it away and restore the snapshot. Rather like "System Restore" on steroids. Of course, you have to make sure that you store your files somewhere outside the VM, either in the "host" OS via shared folders or on a network share or external drive.

Note to gamers: VMs and high-end gaming usually don't mix since the OS inside the VM often cannot write directly to the video hardware. For gaming, a "dual-boot" arrangement is usually preferable. I play games on consoles so this doesn't matter to me.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 08:25   Link #23
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Unfortunately common sense doesn't really help if a trusted website gets hacked with extra code added to it to spread malware because the site owner has been lazy and not updated the software and such that is used to run said site (that has happened to me once before as one site I frequent got done because if that exact problem, but thankfully avast caught the added malicious part).
Fixed.

I use one antivirus utility, one malware remover, one USB guard, and had the browser modified to an extent that it's restricted to run user-approved scripts.
Old 2012-06-23, 10:57   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Came across this comparison of the available AV options for Windows:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/summary
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote