Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-11-08, 14:20   Link #441
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Its Like square pulled a Fable
If you're referencing to Fable the game...I assume that your saying Fable is pretty bad too? o_o

Anyhow, good thing I last minute decided not to buy the game like 2 days before the game came out since I was swamped with exams. But yeah..it's pretty bad..I loved the graphics though haha. IGN and PC Gamer has enough critiques to get me not to look at FFXIV again ._.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 16:17   Link #442
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

No I loved fable series, its that they promised so much and gave us half of what the said
Old 2010-11-08, 19:15   Link #443
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That is point of view. And what I mentioned in the "reading myopia" statement.
I'm not going to try to pick out what's fact or not when there are more trusted sites out there. It's like reading tabloid magazines versus c-span. While I do enjoy some of the articles on Sankaku, it's all entertainment not a place for news for me.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 04:59   Link #444
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
If you're referencing to Fable the game...I assume that your saying Fable is pretty bad too? o_o

Anyhow, good thing I last minute decided not to buy the game like 2 days before the game came out since I was swamped with exams. But yeah..it's pretty bad..I loved the graphics though haha. IGN and PC Gamer has enough critiques to get me not to look at FFXIV again ._.
Fable is horrible in terms of gameplay. It is certainly one of the dullest games I have ever tried playing other than Sims and Tycoon series (Tycoon wasn't as bad).

IGN and PC Gamer decided to be honest and downgrade FFXIV eh? At least they didn't try to pull off another K&L scam.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 23:34   Link #445
Sassarai
Army of One

Good link for those that are worried about ffxiv going f2p or bad news for the players that don't want to pay o_O

http://www.ffxivblog.com/content.php...feed-the-Troll
Old 2010-11-11, 09:52   Link #446
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...rals-Thank-You

the last thing a failing game like FFXIV needs is a carebear bubble, trust me. Yes, trolls can do damage, but they can do more good than harm in the long run if SE would bother working or interacting with them. How else do you think WoW got to where they are today? Search back to when WoW first launched on the bnet forum and you will see what they did with the trolls, and you will also see how they use trolls to make the game a better game.

Maybe, just maybe the trolls have a good point. The game is not worth paying for the money up front, make it f2p so there are insentive to play the game and make things mirco-transaction base to make income. What's better? 10 people paying $50 up front or 100 people paying $10 once every few months? let SE decide.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 10:00   Link #447
Sassarai
Army of One

Looks like some major updates coming to the game. Sounds like they are finally listening to the players. The game will be out of beta stage by next year yay.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...bd4263ed466626

Last edited by Sassarai; 2010-11-11 at 10:46.
Old 2010-11-11, 11:04   Link #448
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...rals-Thank-You

the last thing a failing game like FFXIV needs is a carebear bubble, trust me. Yes, trolls can do damage, but they can do more good than harm in the long run if SE would bother working or interacting with them. How else do you think WoW got to where they are today? Search back to when WoW first launched on the bnet forum and you will see what they did with the trolls, and you will also see how they use trolls to make the game a better game.

Maybe, just maybe the trolls have a good point. The game is not worth paying for the money up front, make it f2p so there are insentive to play the game and make things mirco-transaction base to make income. What's better? 10 people paying $50 up front or 100 people paying $10 once every few months? let SE decide.
Though an interesting article, a couple of paragraphs have made the author look like a complete idiot who gives little attention to market forces and details.

Firstly :

Quote:
One of the most difficult things for marketers to deal with is watching their carefully crafted messages and campaigns try to survive contact with the audience. Prior to a marketing launch, there's a lot of work that goes into creating the message, the press release, the imagery and the email to gaming outlets. Once the send button is clicked, there's an immediate, but futile, dash to the sent email folder to make sure, one last time, everything was perfect. Released into the wild, that news item is subject to forces beyond the marketer's control. The savage gamer community comes out of the woodwork to pick apart every word, every image and every perceived implication. These people descend to rip apart your marketing like birds of prey at a Tibetan sky burial. These people are the trolls, the haters and the flame war generals. Their merciless attacks on your work are an essential part of the marketing ecosystem and I absolutely love them.
What? Where is ethics?

When marketing something, it is important to keep in mind not to oversell - something which SE did to FFXIV. Complexity should be kept to the minimal to avoid mess, and what is interesting does not exactly translate into fun, just like how playing a Rubik's cube can be a chore to others and fun to some.

Overselling is lying to the consumer, and the common technique is marketing hype. It is in the seller's code of ethics to sell what the product provides with specifics so the consumer can make a better choice.

Quote:
The Techno-Trolls:
Armed with precise information on the inner workings of technology, they'll use jargon laden statements to make a point. They'll make arguments measured in milliseconds, frame-rates and pixels. However, what makes them trolls is that they're measuring the world in binary. The product is either good or it's bad. If you enjoy a game or a piece of technology that's obviously inferior, you're wrong and deserve to be corrected.
They are actually the reason why stuff progress and improve. People with an asinine eye for detail and technology serve as a counter for marketers with a flair for convincing talk but laidback action.

For the bolded line, it should be "inferior system mechanics". Most techno-trolls don't criticise backward technology unless it has got a complicated mechanic with worthless steps - i.e scratching your nose by putting by first putting your hand behind your head then scratching it.

One very good point the article pointed out is the inclusion of the "Fanboy Troll", who make up a significant portion of the troll community - hence the reason why most marketers just simply ignore feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Looks like some major updates coming to the game. Sounds like they are finally listening to the players. The game will be out of beta stage by next year yay.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com...bd4263ed466626
So who else wants to continue playing with me? I am continuing to play next month after my exams.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-11-11, 11:12   Link #449
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
What? Where is ethics?
There is no rule to marketing, PERIOD. There is only mission accomplish or mission fail. Trust me, I would know, I am an Operation Project manager.

Quote:
Overselling is lying to the consumer, and the common technique is marketing hype. It is in the seller's code of ethics to sell what the product provides with specifics so the consumer can make a better choice.
And yet SE clearly sold you an unfinish product that demand you to pay for the full price with an unbacking promise that they will get on it some day in the future.

Quote:
Looks like some major updates coming to the game. Sounds like they are finally listening to the players.
They just made it looks like they listen, but in fact those were the basic game components that was in development in the past, all they did was bother to finished it.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 11:34   Link #450
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
There is no rule to marketing, PERIOD. There is only mission accomplish or mission fail. Trust me, I would know, I am an Operation Project manager.
You mean your general PR branch dealing with follow-up has their own department? There may be no rules to marketing but there ARE legalities to follow, which translate into rules.

Btw, it isn't mission, it is objective. Mission takes into account long-term C&E, while objective is simply something to be achieved.

Quote:
And yet SE clearly sold you an unfinish product that demand you to pay for the full price with an unbacking promise that they will get on it some day in the future.
Exactly. Something which I didn't like - if the local government consumer watchdog deals with foreign imports I would have brought it there and gotten a refund already.

They are lucky it isn't a local product sold over here, or else they would have been forced to make a recall or renumeration (which they already did in the form of 1 month more F2P) to the consumers in less than a month.

Quote:
They just made it looks like they listen, but in fact those were the basic game components that was in development in the past, all they did was bother to finished it.
If it was the basic game component, it would be in the installation directory already. Won't it be easier for you to play the game for a month or so and find out how messy it is?

Old 2010-11-11, 20:15   Link #451
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:

the last thing a failing game like FFXIV needs is a carebear bubble, trust me.
The thing is, FFXIV isn't in a carebear bubble. Its been getting a ton of negative reviews from pro sites and players. A lot of the people that actually played the game gave them a ton of good feedback. I think that's pretty much why we are seeing S.E working as quickly as they can to fix all the issues. I don't see how a site that is lying, slandering, etc in order to get hits for his website is going to help the game since he probably haven't even played it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

So who else wants to continue playing with me? I am continuing to play next month after my exams.
I'll play when the game has as much content as FFXI + Rise of Zilart. But then again, I heard the pay system is pretty annoying so that might be a deterrent. Also Zebra needs to play with me too we hardly knew each other in FFXIV open beta ;;

Last edited by Sassarai; 2010-11-12 at 02:02.
Old 2010-11-12, 23:37   Link #452
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

I'll also wait until more content get updated and more new class is revealed. A good beginner guide might also help increase my interest because frankly, when I was playing the open beta I was confused on what to do with my character lol.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 20:44   Link #453
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

This is just brilliant :

YET ANOTHER FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Period

This is the third month free. I am not complaining because I can start replaying after my exams, but WHEN are they actually going to really make this a proper game?

On the other hand, it is a good time for me to hit the level cap during my vacation. If this game goes up, I can finally sell my game account.

Old 2010-11-16, 22:23   Link #454
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I chuckled when i saw it, but i expected it all the same.
Old 2010-11-16, 23:17   Link #455
Sassarai
Army of One

Spoiler for nonfixables:

This is disappointing to hear. S.E is sacrificing too much for pretty graphics

Whole interview

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/15/in...happy-players/
Old 2010-11-17, 01:16   Link #456
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Spoiler for nonfixables:

Whole interview

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/15/in...happy-players/
Those responses sound like 100% BS. Most likely what happened was that they didn't code an engine that allowed them to easily procedurally generate the terrain/basic props, and had easy features to sculpt/craft/place doodads, but instead had their designers manually create each block. So of course it doesn't scale well and they had to recycle entire map blocks.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-17, 04:50   Link #457
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Those responses sound like 100% BS.
That's because it is.
Old 2012-04-10, 07:23   Link #458
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Hey guys, check out the latest patches, the game might actually be enjoyable for those who left, the latest patch adds old classes like Paladin and Dragon. Chocobo's are finally in and Moogle house is back as "inns"
Old 2012-04-10, 10:21   Link #459
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Whole interview
They've been doing this for years now. The last couple of FF games have had like the equivalent development time of an entire console era and they spend so damn much time focusing on making the games look as pretty as possible that you can tell they've often been forced to cut content. It's one of the main reasons I have absolutely zero faith in the company to do anything right besides 3D modelling and graphics anymore.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 16:21   Link #460
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I'll be playing this again when it comes out for the PS3

Tags
mmorpg