AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 34 28.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 42.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.69%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-16, 13:39   Link #181
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
To Cyz, just look out for a yellow item in the picture.
Lol! thanx. I didn't see that. I thought that was something else

Mmmm, I've been hearing Yui Horie's voice in 3 different versions: the voice of Ayu, Mizuho (Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru), and Hitomi (Dead or Alive)
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-10-16, 13:51   Link #182
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Mmmm, I've been hearing Yui Horie's voice in 3 different versions: the voice of Ayu, Mizuho (Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru), and Hitomi (Dead or Alive)
She's done so much more. :3

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ple.php?id=386
Old 2006-10-16, 14:12   Link #183
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I know. What I mean is, there are 2 animes I'm currently watching and a game I'm playing that she was doing VA on it.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-10-16, 14:18   Link #184
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yui Horie ... one of the classics. I can listen to her and "Becky/Hazuki" (Chiwa Saito) for hours... as well as the others... oops ran out of time.
Old 2006-10-16, 14:47   Link #185
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Spoiler for those pesky bears:
Old 2006-10-16, 18:24   Link #186
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
So, i must be the only person that doesn't see any part of Kyon at all apart from the voice in Yuuichi?
Really i cant beleive that well we all view the world a little diffrent i for one think they look very similar, as for personality yes bits and pieces here and there
Old 2006-10-16, 21:23   Link #187
Theowne
耳をすませば

Apart from the similarity, why does Tomokazu Sugita get to be in so many popular and "good" anime recently. Honey and Clover, then Suzumiya Haruhi, then Kanon....

Actually I'm kind of blurred between Yuiichi and Kyon. I mean I don't necessarily look at the Kanon main character as Kyon, but I think there's some mixing up going on in my mind. IT doesn't help that they seem to act similar......I mean it's not like they're different personalities, I can picture Kyon doing what Yuiichi does with the alarm clocks, or introducing himself, etc....

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2006-10-16, 22:03   Link #188
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I think that the personalities are different as well as outlooks. The problem here is that SHnY is overwhelming Kanon. It's being made worse by people referring to "Yuichi" as "Kyuichi" or whatever the current fave name is and those parody shorts.

Kanon and its characters need to be evaluated on their own terms. This is not SHnY2.
Old 2006-10-16, 22:35   Link #189
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

The reason is that because Haruhi is the lastest craze and that people's memoires to these types of characters automatically direct them to the most recent and famous one. In fact, Kyon can be said to be an archtype of bishoujo game protagonist, and that the it should be Kyon sharing similiarities with these characters (including Yuuichi) rather than Yuuichi successing Kyon's qualities as Yuuichi's personality in the game predates Haruhi by a good few years.

This kind phenomenon is like 10 years ago when EVA was the craze and everyone screams "EVA rip-off" with anything mecha they see, even shows which *predates* EVA. In a way it can't be helped as the comparisons will always be made by n00bs and newbies.
Old 2006-10-16, 22:56   Link #190
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
In fact, Kyon can be said to be an archtype of bishoujo game protagonist, and that the it should be Kyon sharing similiarities with these characters (including Yuuichi) rather than Yuuichi successing Kyon's qualities as Yuuichi's personality in the game predates Haruhi by a good few years.
Well said; I was thinking of saying the same thing. In fact a lot of the "lines" that people say are in homage to Haruhi (see, for example, the ANN Trivia Page - someone should fact-check) are actually taken directly from the game. But, as you said, it's probably inevitable. It's sort of ironic that a show with the known otaku-drawing power of Kanon would be pushed along by the recent (surprise?) success of Suzumiya Haruhi.
Old 2006-10-16, 23:19   Link #191
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Yup, a perfect example is where people believe there's a similarity since Yuuichi shares Kyon's seat in class when that's simply where he sat in the game which predates Haruhi by several years.

Old 2006-10-16, 23:34   Link #192
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
In my case, it's because even though I know that Yuuichi and Kyon are two very separate people, and both series have nothing to do with each other except for Tomokazu Sugita and KyoAni, I still like to call him "Kyuuichi" and call the show "Kyonon" because I find it amusing.

It's a bit like how, in every tabletop game I'm in, there has to be a reference made to that infamous D&D sketch ("Where are the Cheetos?"). It's something I picked up from my friends, and I've been told that this is fairly normal.

If it bothers people that much, I suppose I can stop.
Old 2006-10-17, 00:09   Link #193
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Oh I don't mind it much, I just find it silly when people make comparisons to thinigs that aren't really there. It comes from knowing Haruhi real well and a lack of familiarity to Kanon. It's all fun though.
Old 2006-10-17, 00:25   Link #194
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Reverie View Post
Thats an awful pic of Yuuichi, coudn't you have taken a better one?
Sorry...that was something I threw together a while back, when the "Yuuichi = Kyon" thing first came up. At the time, the only new Kanon footage available was the promo, and that actually was the best shot of Yuuichi available at the time.

Anyway, it's funny...personally, I don't subscribe to the theory, though I do see enough of a visual resemblance to make it worth joking about, and the two of them sharing a voice actor doesn't help either. I still find it distracting, though...
Old 2006-10-17, 01:50   Link #195
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenOhki'sRage View Post
Oh I don't mind it much, I just find it silly when people make comparisons to thinigs that aren't really there. It comes from knowing Haruhi real well and a lack of familiarity to Kanon. It's all fun though.
You may have a point there.

But, in the end, imo, it's a disservice to Kanon. Just like all those shows that predated Eva became Eva rip-offs, constantly referring to Yuichi or game scenarios transferred into the anime as being similar to SHnY when the observation really is "SHnY had a scenario and character types similar to Kanon" is saying that Kanon is ripping off SHnY imo.

At least, show some respect for the title, the characters and Yuichi's seiyuu. (This thread is sharing a trait of that FreezeFrame column.) The show is "Kanon", not "Kyonon" or whatever name that refers to SHnY is in fave. The character is "Yuichi" not "Kyuichi" or whatever name that refers to SHnY is in fave. Sure the seiyuu is the same for both characters, but his job is to portray "Yuichi", not "Kyon" or "Rin". If he can't do that simple task, he has failed as a seiyuu for this title imo.

If you are unfamilair with this title, then read up on it or as a last resort download the original version (and endure the "pointy chins of doom" ).

I'm sure if you get in the habit of referring to the characters and title with their proper names, the confusion will cease. If you're watching SHnY and this title concurrently, it's probably a good idea to pick one and watch it and save the other until after you finished the first one imo.

Edit: This brings back memories of the admonishments in the Higurashi forum when people were calling Keichi "K1".

Last edited by orion; 2006-10-17 at 02:25.
Old 2006-10-17, 02:13   Link #196
Thelastguardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Anyway back to Yuichi vs Kyon- Those two characters are very similar, but I like Yuichi much better simply because he actually put in major efforts for the female characters. As oppose to Kyon, who views himself as The Cleanup Crew of SH .

Kyon is more realistic, but Yuichi is more idealistic, thus it is much easier for players/viewers (example: me) to feel sorry for Yuichi; and the tragic background of each characters help, a lot.

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2006-10-17 at 02:27.
Old 2006-10-17, 05:19   Link #197
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well said; I was thinking of saying the same thing. In fact a lot of the "lines" that people say are in homage to Haruhi (see, for example, the ANN Trivia Page - someone should fact-check) are actually taken directly from the game. But, as you said, it's probably inevitable. It's sort of ironic that a show with the known otaku-drawing power of Kanon would be pushed along by the recent (surprise?) success of Suzumiya Haruhi.
The monologue one couldn't be more wrong as it WAS lifted from the game. Someone with the PC version should do a screen-cap of that scene with Kaori and the speech text and upload it somewhere.
Old 2006-10-17, 05:55   Link #198
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

For the Yuuichi vs Kyon debate, I'm still having a hard time figuring in Sugita as Yuuichi. Not really because he sounds like Kyon (which I could care less about), but really because Kisaichi came first. Not that Sugita is doing a bad job, mind you, but the Yuuichi that I am accustomed to is less saracastic-mean (ie. Kyon) and more sarcastic-whiny (ie. Yuuichi 2k2). And so can't help but feel that this Yuuichi feels a whole lot more Kyon than it feels Yuuichi to me.

I mean, let's say if Goto Yuko were to replace Kouda as Nayuki, I'm sure she'd do a fine job as her. Still, no matter how good of a job she does, it wouldn't feel like Nayuki at all to me (if I had to guess, Goto's acting of Nayuki would be like her Hiori in Mizuiro).

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2006-10-17, 06:16   Link #199
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
The monologue one couldn't be more wrong as it WAS lifted from the game. Someone with the PC version should do a screen-cap of that scene with Kaori and the speech text and upload it somewhere.
Is that the case? Well, I have removed the entry.

Cheers, and thanks for the correction.
Old 2006-10-17, 06:20   Link #200
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Keep this up, and its most certainly an anime I'm going to finish (and keep if possible). The episode was quite interesting.

I'm more interested in seeing more Mai, though, Ayu and Nayuki aside.
Closed Thread