AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-01-17, 03:16   Link #1
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Most influential characters

Most influential characters:

Amuro Ray (Mobile Suit Gundam) is an immature teenage main character with no prior military experience. Many protagonists of mecha anime including Camille Vidan, Judau Ashtu, Shinji Ikari, Hikaru Ichijou (Macross), Hibiki Tokai (Vandread), Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing), etc. were apparantely modeled after Amuro Ray. Even Last Exile which isn't a mecha anime has a protagonist named Claus Valca who is a bit similar to Amuro Ray in both age, military experience and maturity.

Hibiki Tokai is a lot like Amuro, Kamille and Judau. Hibiki is a 16 years old with no prior fighting experience. Hibiki also made an unauthorized entry into an authorized installation and hijacked a mecha. Not to mention he is also infantile and headstrong like Camille and Judau.
Old 2006-01-17, 03:23   Link #2
Kyaa the Catlord

Ayanami Rei... There are soooo many clones now it has become silly. :P
Kyaa the Catlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 03:27   Link #3
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaa the Catlord
Ayanami Rei... There are soooo many clones now it has become silly. :P
Yes, and Meia Gisborn from Vandread is one of those Rei Ayanami clones, anyone. Meia even has Rei's hair color.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 03:49   Link #4
Kyaa the Catlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelok
Yes, and Meia Gisborn from Vandread is one of those Rei Ayanami clones, anyone. Meia even has Rei's hair color.
As is Ruri Hoshino from Nadesico, Primula from Shuffle!, the space girl from Godannar... She's everywhere!

She's also one of the first "skin-tight spacesuit" girls. One of the first girl pilots (she'd whip Shinji's ass one-on-one)... She's too good to be true. Hell, she made lolipedo fun too! And incest... and... It just goes on. If there is a stereotype out there, she fits. :P

Edit: brian misfired. See! Did it again!

Last edited by Kyaa the Catlord; 2006-01-17 at 04:14.
Old 2006-01-17, 03:55   Link #5
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaa the Catlord
As is Ruri Hoshino from Vandread
Ruri Hoshino is from Martian Successor Nadesico.

And none of these rip-offs hold even a candle against Ruri-chan.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 04:14   Link #6
Kyaa the Catlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Ruri Hoshino is from Martian Successor Nadesico.

And none of these rip-offs hold even a candle against Ruri-chan.
Yeah, I knew that. She's a rip-off of Rei. :P (Eva came first.)
Old 2006-01-17, 05:02   Link #7
triela
Oh no! Uncle Ganondorf!

Triela Bossi ( Gunslinger Girl ) is very influential. She shows me how to survive even when life really sucks ^-^
triela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 05:06   Link #8
Kyaa the Catlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by triela
Triela Bossi ( Gunslinger Girl ) is very influential. She shows me how to survive even when life really sucks ^-^

I prefer Claes and Angelica (what a cute couple!). But Triela is cute. :P
Old 2006-01-17, 06:54   Link #9
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by triela
I think influential is on a different context. Just like how Astro Boy influenced the anime/manga industry in Japan, just like how Dragon Ball influenced the standard and cliches of the shounen genre, how Mobile Suit Gundam influenced the rise of the unpopular RR genre in a SR dominated era, etc.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 14:36   Link #10
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelok
Most influential characters:

Amuro Ray (Mobile Suit Gundam) is an immature teenage main character with no prior military experience. Many protagonists of mecha anime including Camille Vidan, Judau Ashtu, Shinji Ikari, Hikaru Ichijou (Macross), Hibiki Tokai (Vandread), Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing), etc. were apparantely modeled after Amuro Ray.
Eh? Heero had tons of military experience, and he didn't seem that immature to me.
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 15:34   Link #11
triela
Oh no! Uncle Ganondorf!

Oh oops! Sorry ^^
triela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 18:48   Link #12
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Son Goku and Vegeta from Dragonball Z.

Not only have their style of fighting become a cornerstone of how battles in Shounene anime will be portrayed from henceforth, but more importantly, their "nice hero VS bad-boy" rivalry have become the model of a thousand imitators, such as:

Sakuragi and Ryukawa (Slam Dunk)
Kazuma and Ryuho (Scryed)
Inuyasah and Kouga (Inuyasha )
Yuki and Kyo (Fruits Basket)
Kenshin and Saitou (Ruroni Kenshin)
Naruto and Sakuke Naruto
Kira and Athurn (Gundam Seed Franchise)
Negi and Kotaro (Negima Manga)

I could literally go on all day.

Were it not for Kakaroto and Prince Vegeta, a thousand beautiful friendships of helathy comptition in anime would not have come to fruitition today.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 18:54   Link #13
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Maybe it's because I worked design but I don't see your reasoning to call those characters "Rei clones". I'll accept influences based on their hair colour but saying they're outright character clones is completely wrong. A good way to see it is this:

Rei was completely souless. No intents at all, a complete 0 on the emotion meter.
Lou from Godannar displayed a great deal of emotion. She cried a lot, got angry a lot and smiled at her mentor very often.
Ruri from Nadesico was very sarcastic (and I love her for it).
Prim from Shuffle has strong empathy and character insight, as well as a lot of love for those around her.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 03:14   Link #14
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
1.Doraemon
2. Sailor Moon girls
3. Astroboy
4. Shinji Ikari
5. Rei Ayanami

Based on historical influences.
Old 2006-01-21, 00:22   Link #15
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu
Eh? Heero had tons of military experience, and he didn't seem that immature to me.
Actually, I have never seen Gundam Wing but I heard he's an Amuro Ray clone.
Old 2006-01-21, 08:09   Link #16
Cloudy

Kenshin(rurouni kenshin) influenced anime directors to create a character with no-kill policy for example Kira(gundam seed).
Cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 18:59   Link #17
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaa the Catlord View Post
As is Ruri Hoshino from Nadesico, Primula from Shuffle!, the space girl from Godannar... She's everywhere!

She's also one of the first "skin-tight spacesuit" girls. One of the first girl pilots (she'd whip Shinji's ass one-on-one)... She's too good to be true. Hell, she made lolipedo fun too! And incest... and... It just goes on. If there is a stereotype out there, she fits. :P

!
As I have other anime recently, I've noticed more characters who are similar to Rei Ayanami.

Leni Milchstrasse (Sakura Wars 2)
Yuki Nagato (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Yin (Darker Than Black)

All of these girls I mentioned have something in common with Rei Ayanami and that is their quiet, laconic, stoic and unemotional/emotionless personality.
Old 2007-05-23, 20:08   Link #18
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Tenchi the "the first modern i can't decide harem Male lead"

Keitaro the hapless loser harem male lead.
Old 2007-05-23, 21:17   Link #19
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

I think Lum from Urusei Yatsura is one of the most influential popular characters - especially for female leads from the mid 1980s onwards.

One of the pioneers of 1) the 'alien babe' 2) cosplay heh 3) the 'quasi softie with overt aggressive tendancies' which sort of became paramount in the construction of the 'modern' anime comedy (although it doesn't have to be limited to comedy).

I would say her 'tsundere' traits are not as extreme as some of the female leads which have followed her though.
Diodati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 21:43   Link #20
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Lacus Clyne. Most popular gal for several years on end, and takes down all sorts of diabolical villains. What's not to love?