AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 09:57   Link #21
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Better than Oath sign, which is quite nice btw. But it may be bias, haha
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 09:59   Link #22
Axiszero
The Forsaken Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen3dge View Post
Have to agree you, Crossing field is better than Oath sign in ways
Axiszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 18:04   Link #23
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen3dge View Post
I have to agree as well. But wait does that make me bias too ?

From the look of things people feelings on the OP range from great to just awful .
To each their own I guess.
Old 2012-07-10, 00:52   Link #24
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Honestly, I don't like LiSA's voice all that much. She may be a good performer, but I think she sounds squeaky every time she forces out a high note. It doesn't help that this song's composition was kind of messy and doesn't stand out at all.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:05   Link #25
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Another season, another popular show, another Yuki Kaijura soundtrack. It's almost become trite at this point. I've still never gotten into her music nearly as much as the rest of the community seems to have (I honestly had no idea who she was or how to identify her music until around the time of Madoka Magica really and even then I have trouble recalling what her BGM's sound like), but she's always been pretty serviceable from what I've heard. Just never managed to stand out and so far it's not seeming like this is going to be much different. It really does sound a fair bit like her Fate/Zero work and I'd say that while I can never recall individual songs by her I've definitely come to be able to identify her particular sound in a given show.

As for the opening, it's decent, but somehow it doesn't really feel like it fits with the show. Just doesn't do much for me or get me pumped up for the show like I would expect.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 02:23   Link #26
kyp275
Meh

IMO, the best BGM are the ones that you never notice In that regard I think so far it's been pretty decent.

As for the OP, I'm indifferent to the song, but the complete product is better than average.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 03:43   Link #27
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Another season, another popular show, another Yuki Kaijura soundtrack. It's almost become trite at this point. I've still never gotten into her music nearly as much as the rest of the community seems to have (I honestly had no idea who she was or how to identify her music until around the time of Madoka Magica really and even then I have trouble recalling what her BGM's sound like), but she's always been pretty serviceable from what I've heard. Just never managed to stand out and so far it's not seeming like this is going to be much different. It really does sound a fair bit like her Fate/Zero work and I'd say that while I can never recall individual songs by her I've definitely come to be able to identify her particular sound in a given show.

As for the opening, it's decent, but somehow it doesn't really feel like it fits with the show. Just doesn't do much for me or get me pumped up for the show like I would expect.
I'm interested in knowing what kind of scores stood out to you, seeing as how Yuki Kajiura's compositions are considered some of the most distinct in the current anime OST word. Some of Yoko Kanno's compositions, perhaps?

I understand that music is a highly subjective topic, and this is just my opinion on the matter. While I concur that her sounds are homogenous in nature, I do believe that her scores are able to brilliantly augment the subtext and emotions of the scenes, which is what a good score strives to achieve. Where any other score would probably have made the explanation scene just another bit of exposition, her's managed to strongly convey the sense of dread and the epic scale of the this undertaking. Similarly her music was able to capture and heighten the scenes in Madoka and Fate/Zero. (Interesting note: she also worked on .hack//Sign)

But I agree, the opening is rather run-of-the-mill. There's nothing that really stands out about this standard J-pop fare, and the OP isn't very creative with it either.

Last edited by com_gwp; 2012-07-10 at 03:58.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 04:10   Link #28
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I'm interested in knowing what kind of scores stood out to you, seeing as how Yuki Kajiura's compositions are considered some of the most distinct in the current anime OST word. Some of Yoko Kanno's compositions, perhaps?

I understand that music is a highly subjective topic, and this is just my opinion on the matter. While I concur that her sounds are homogenous in nature, I do believe that her scores are able to brilliantly augment the emotions of the scenes, which is what a good score strives to achieve. Where any other score would probably have made the explanation scene just another bit of exposition, her's managed to strongly convey the sense of dread and the epic scale of the this undertaking. Similarly her music was able to capture and heighten the scenes in Madoka and Fate/Zero.

But I agree, the opening is rather run-of-the-mill. There's nothing that really stands out about this standard J-pop fare, and the OP isn't very creative with it either.
Just never seen what the big deal is really and why she gets so much more attention and mention than other composers. To me she's just kind of okay and still has a ton of room for improvement before I'd ever really think to esteem her work especially highly. I don't consider having her as a composer here a detriment by any means, but I've never felt particularly moved by her music (but for one scene during the climax of Madoka Magica) or felt the desire to go out and get her soundtracks like I have for others.

As for composers that have stood out to me, lots. I'm a big fan of Senjuu Akira who most recently did the score for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, as well as of course Yoko Kanno (the only other name besides Kaijura that really seems to come up in conversations about anime music now that I think of it) who is one of the more experimental composers to have ever had a place in the industry. Hisaishi Joe is another composer whose music has really stood out to me over the years as have Masamichi Amano, Kohei Tanaka and Kenji Kawai. I'm also a growing fan of Hiroyuki Sawano as well as Kaoru Wada. All of them have kind of done for me what Kaijura has failed to do much of the time but apparently has for so many others and that is get me really invested not only in the moment of the anime I'm watching, but to take notice of the compositions themselves and have done so on a fairly regular basis.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 09:41   Link #29
Awrya
U mad?

The song itself is quite good, but compared to Oath Sign it somewhat lacked intensity for me.
If oath sign was 9/10, this would be a 7.5/10 for me, but then again I'll wait for the full version until I make my final judgement.

Apart form the music, did anyone else find the animation a bit lacking especially the beginning where Kirito just sits in the rain and the fight against those skeletons?
Old 2012-07-10, 09:47   Link #30
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Apart form the music, did anyone else find the animation a bit lacking especially the beginning where Kirito just sits in the rain and the fight against those skeletons?
Depends on what you mean by "lacking". If you mean the quality, then nope. If you mean how those scenes in the OP were designed, then also nope.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 18:52   Link #31
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Its not the best op but the animation's good. Now for the ED
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 03:08   Link #32
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I think the reason the OP gets so much love is really due to trailer 2, which had the whole latin chorus and the grimdarkness and despair and skyward scream.

Then the chorus of the OP kicks in - "In my dreams I'm flying" - and, interspersed with animation of awesomness, badass and what Excellen Browning would call a Love-Love Attack, reminds viewers that this is a show that believes in Earning one's happy ending.

That said, is it catchy? Yes. Did I like it? Yes. It has a certain feel that IMO fits smoothly and IMO it's fitting with the series and animation.

My prior exposure to Kajiura has been with some Gundam SEED tracks, some Tsubasa and some Noir. So far, from the music that's in the show, I think music wise this show is on to a good start.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 03:39   Link #33
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I adore the OP. It reminds me of the kinds of anime opening themes from the late 90s to early 2000s that I really liked so much as a kid. (To avoid confusion: I am NOT saying that Crossing Field sounds like those songs, because it obviously doesn't. What I mean is that it gives me that same catchy feel-good vibe that the songs that I liked from that time did.) I did not expect to like it this much at all. I like it WAY more than both of Accel World's OPs combined.

I do agree with what a couple of others said in that I do think the song could've benefited from being performed by a stronger singer, but I'm not complaining with what we were given one bit. And the slick animation just helps bring it all together.

As for the ED, I'm lukewarm about it. I do like it more than Accel World's EDs, especially the first one (I'm a Kotoko fan, but I'm still not crazy about that song). I think I will listen to it more, and see if it grows on me. But it's a pretty song, imo. Soothing, even. (Without being boring.)

Last edited by Kismet-chan; 2012-07-11 at 21:59.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 06:19   Link #34
sky black swordman

^ I find myself agreeing with you and several things you said, but I love the Accel World ED. The first one I mean.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:11   Link #35
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hmmm. Been listening to the Episode 2 PV music. For some reason, the melody and arrangement of that track, at some points, remind me of Ace Combat 6's leitmotif.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-14, 11:49   Link #36
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I can't wait till the full single comes out. I remember watching LiSA's concert 2 weeks ago at AX which helped me choose SAO to be the next series to pick up. I am very pleased.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL

Last edited by Netto Azure; 2012-07-14 at 12:58.
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 12:52   Link #37
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I've been listening to a tv rip of Crossing Field.

Everytime I hear it, a smile breaks out on my face. I'm putting it on my "Cheering Up list", as opposed to my "Thoughtful/Heartwarming List", which is currently dominated by Yakusoku, Chihaya's ultimate image song... Actually, I've been listening to Crossing Field more than Yakusoku, which is a bit of a surprise to me. Heh.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-07-14, 16:13   Link #38
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I really liked the ending...sounded familiar and just pure KiriAsu. <3 ;-;

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 16:32   Link #39
Deltaray

OST during the episode was pretty dam good, ending meh, I really honestly don't care about endings that much, but it was allright.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 17:44   Link #40
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

The ending was alright. It does the unwinding that I usually expect from endings. Nothing outstanding on the side of music or animation.

As usual, I can't remember the ost because it blended in so well.

To Episode 3!
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music discussion