AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2016-07-15, 22:18   Link #21
justsomeguy

It's too bad that the attempted coup seems like it's going to fail. The military failed to capture/kill Erdogan, he's gotten the populace riled up in his favor, opposition parties have denounced the coup, and the chopper shootdown shows there's infighting within the military.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 23:36   Link #22
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
"Turkish justice minister says members of a movement loyal to U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen in the army are behind the attempted coup. There has been no immediate comment from Gulen."

Soooo..... US is behind coup?
And if that was the case, M. Gulen looks quite like the kind of guy I would like to see govern in Turkey if he was 10 years younger.

Seriously, that's nothing short of a smearing campaign against an old man who preaches for altruism, hard work, education, interfaith dialogue, and multi-party democracy. I don't think I can pinpoint many faults with the character. Erdogan has to go after the whole lot of rubbish he either spouted or created by himself, especially by sleeping with ISIS.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 00:02   Link #23
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am starting to accept the fact that the people of Turkey have decided as a majority, to want a theocratic Sultan ruling them. The founder of modern Turkey would not have approved, but he is not here anymore. And no matter what, the military would not be able to stage a coup successfully unless they have the population on their side.

People of Turkey have made their choice. And citizens who disagree with that choice probably has to accept it or leave the country.
Old 2016-07-16, 02:49   Link #24
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am starting to accept the fact that the people of Turkey have decided as a majority, to want a theocratic Sultan ruling them.
I can see how it goes, "Wow women start talking too much for my tastes. Maybe we should reinstal sharia to put them back in their place." f that shit.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 03:15   Link #25
Kakurin
大佐

Wouldn't surprise me if Erdogan himself is behind that plot to create a pretext for fulfilling his wish of a presidential dictatorship.
Old 2016-07-16, 03:24   Link #26
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I can see how it goes, "Wow women start talking too much for my tastes. Maybe we should reinstal sharia to put them back in their place." f that shit.
The women voted for it too. The belief that more religion would fix everything, is basically the only reason religion exists.
Old 2016-07-16, 03:54   Link #27
Brother Coa
Banned

The coup has failed and Erdogan will only use this opportunity to make true dictatorship - pretty much like Hitler did after burning of Reichstag.

As for victims: "Here’s a breakdown of the death toll in the Turkish coup, as provided by General Umit Dundar, the newly appointed acting chief of the general staff. More than 190 people dead:

41 police officers,
Two soldiers
47 civilians
104 people described as “coup plotters.”
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 04:47   Link #28
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Guess it is official. From now on there is no turning back. Erdogan will go down in history as the man who restored the Sultanate.
Old 2016-07-16, 05:15   Link #29
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Erdogan himself is behind that plot to create a pretext for fulfilling his wish of a presidential dictatorship.
Given how dumb and weak this "coup" was made, I'd believe such a conspiracy theory. I mean, who in their right mind would make a coup with only 1500 soldiers behind you and then only block like 2 bridges, fail to capture the president, fail to capture the news station, fail to keep all the opposing forces like police and reigning ministers in check/custody and ofc without proper support from the public which is the most needed for a coup as seen in Egypt where plenty of people didn't wanted the Muslim brothers to do as they please when they were elected. This just screams dilettantism all over it and that after three successful coups in the past?

Well, now Erdogan can get his idea of how democracy works through with all the national and international support he wants and needs. Democracy aka "everybody who is against me or dares to criticizes me is an enemy of the state, no matter how old he or she is, and ends up in prison. Protests against me or my glorious ideas are beaten down while I ask for people to rally up for me when my power is threaten by the military. Also Gülen is at fault for everything that goes wrong.".
Yeah, great, at this rate I bet in a couple years Erdogan will not only be reelected but also change his country's constitution enough to change the President position into Sultan position. <_<
Old 2016-07-16, 05:31   Link #30
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So....should we send him an ottoman for his next election?
Old 2016-07-16, 06:14   Link #31
Brother Coa
Banned

From BBC:

"Latest developments in ‪#‎TurkeyCoupAttempt‬:
- Death toll rises to 161, with 1,440 wounded, PM says
- More than 2,800 members of the armed forces detained
- PM says situation is "fully under control"
- Eight men have landed in Greece in Turkish military helicopter and claimed asylum.

UPDATE: Turkey has asked Greece to return the 8 soldiers who requested asylum."

161 killed and 1,440 wounded, this was costly coup if nothing else.
Old 2016-07-16, 06:21   Link #32
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
People of Turkey have made their choice. And citizens who disagree with that choice probably has to accept it or leave the country.
Do you realize this is 50% of the population? Which is also part of the reason he'll never gain enough support to change the Constitution and make his utopia real.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 06:24   Link #33
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Given how dumb and weak this "coup" was made, I'd believe such a conspiracy theory.
While I don't really believe that Erdogan ordered such a farce I would not put it past him to have actively goaded certain elements in the armed forces to do such a thing. It's also a bit suspicious how quickly he and other AKP elements pointed to Gülen as supposed mastermind behind this.
Old 2016-07-16, 07:04   Link #34
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Knight View Post
Do you realize this is 50% of the population? Which is also part of the reason he'll never gain enough support to change the Constitution and make his utopia real.
If he keeps gaining actual power, soon he wouldn't need citizen consent. There is no organised opposition anymore after today.
Old 2016-07-16, 07:33   Link #35
Brother Coa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Knight View Post
So?

My country recent election for example: 52% came out to vote, out of those 52% the ruling party got 48% of votes.

So they are realistically supported by 25% of the population and yet their rule in unquestioned and can make change with Constitution as they see it fit.

Same goes with Erdogan. With this coup he successfully destroyed any remaining opposition agaisnt him, and he don't need 50% of popular support to achieve total power now.
Old 2016-07-16, 08:43   Link #36
Homura7

Where do you live in?
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 09:53   Link #37
Brother Coa
Banned

Former Yugoslavia.
Old 2016-07-16, 10:12   Link #38
James Rye

Another weird thing about this coup is how quickly Erdogan now cleans the judges when he had talked about cleaning up the military. Nearly 3000 judges detained in 12 hours, Jesus. With that the last bastions of real oppositions against Erdogan and his plans are done with. He basically got free reign now.
Old 2016-07-16, 11:12   Link #39
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Another weird thing about this coup is how quickly Erdogan now cleans the judges when he had talked about cleaning up the military. Nearly 3000 judges detained in 12 hours, Jesus. With that the last bastions of real oppositions against Erdogan and his plans are done with. He basically got free reign now.
Yeah, it sounds fake and orchestrated by Erdogan himself to clean out people and hold on to power. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

lol, the independent has an article on this (conspiracy theory)
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-16, 19:49   Link #40
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

There are some reported that Erdogan is claiming Turkey should have control over Albania and Bosnia?!

Apparently the speech was only in Arabic at this time. But if this is anywhere remotely true, this is even worse than I thought. I just think he is a guy who wanted to rule Turkey, I didn't think he would be so mad as to want to have an empire.