AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-14, 22:16   Link #81
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizer63 View Post
The real question here is this: Anyone else play HvZ? I feel that it is a wonderful way to prepare yourself for any potential apocalypse. What could be better training than only having access to unreliable weapons against fast, thinking zombies?
It's Nerf or Nothing. Real ammunition worries, possible ambush from all around, and even melee weapons are not all that effective... until a boxer guy socks you in the face and KOs like two other folks. Yeah, melee weapons are still under scrutiny now.
Old 2010-07-14, 22:42   Link #82
disposablehero92
The Gravewalker

i think people underestimate the power of melee weapons in the zombie apocalypse, depending on what type your talking about i think they would do just fine, Have you ever watched to TV show Deadliest Warrior on spike?

well in that show they test may famous weapons from well know warriors in history on human analogues, when watching the show i saw cases where a war club was uses on a skull, not one wrapped in gel, just a dry human bone skull, what happened? the skull was VAPORIZED and literally reduced to many small pieces and dust, but when that same weapon was used on a skull incased in ballistics gel, and containing brain a replica Brian the hammer crushed the skull just fine, but nowhere near the type of carnage you would expect, what I'm getting at is the flesh and blood lily make a skull better suited for hold a skull together, and keeping the brain intact, NOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THAT FRESH IS ROTTING? the rotting flash will tear and fall off rather easily compared to living tissues, so melee weapons would likely have mire damage than they would on a living person, so..yeah that's what i think
Old 2010-07-14, 23:07   Link #83
JokerD

I live in an Asian city so no guns for me, the laws here are that if you fire a gun to commit a crime, it's the death penalty for you. I also live in an apartment block so bearing any unexpected difficulties, I'll put some oil on the stairs (so the zombies will slip on it) then barricade the top. Times 3 or 4 flights of stairs.

Having said that, being a small country, I live within 5 km of at least 3 army bases, so I might just try to drive there for weapons. Not sure what they have in the way of ammo though, I know they have guns, not sure how much ammo they have.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 23:19   Link #84
kaizer63

Send a message via AIM to kaizer63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
It's Nerf or Nothing. Real ammunition worries, possible ambush from all around, and even melee weapons are not all that effective... until a boxer guy socks you in the face and KOs like two other folks. Yeah, melee weapons are still under scrutiny now.
Yeah... you don't get a lot of melee practice with HvZ... at least not at my school since they're banned. On the other hand, you do get all the wonders of learning how to take a random group of people and forge them into a passable squad. Ammunition isn't quite as worrisome since you can always pick up darts and have things like the 35-shot drum magazine that fits on almost every gun.

Quote:
i think people underestimate the power of melee weapons in the zombie apocalypse, depending on what type your talking about i think they would do just fine, Have you ever watched to TV show Deadliest Warrior on spike?
The problem is that melee has some serious disadvantages. For starters, it DOES put you directly in contact with zombies and one wrong move will spell your death. In addition, true melee weapons like on Deadliest Warrior aren't all that common. Those are weapons designed to crush skulls and are used by very powerful warriors. While plenty of objects can be used to lethal effect, they won't hold up or necessarily give the one-shot kills of those weapons. Nor is the average person going to be strong enough to consistently pull off those kills. Its why training is one of the most vital things you do to prepare for zombies.
Old 2010-07-15, 00:05   Link #85
disposablehero92
The Gravewalker

Quote:

The problem is that melee has some serious disadvantages. For starters, it DOES put you directly in contact with zombies and one wrong move will spell your death. In addition, true melee weapons like on Deadliest Warrior aren't all that common. Those are weapons designed to crush skulls and are used by very powerful warriors. While plenty of objects can be used to lethal effect, they won't hold up or necessarily give the one-shot kills of those weapons. Nor is the average person going to be strong enough to consistently pull off those kills. Its why training is one of the most vital things you do to prepare for zombies.
you ar right about the kind of weapons used, i was was useing the show to help discribe the effect i wanted to point out. the effect i noticed was that in some tests the skull was heald to gether by the skin, you see the effect to some degree when they used sniper rifles on bullistics heads, the damage wasn't big at first glance, but the high speed showd the "skin" expand to double the size of the head then come back and hold the skull together, that my point, normal heathy human skinn hold the skull together better that rotting fleash, so melle will do damage to a zombie than a human.
Old 2010-07-15, 00:14   Link #86
ZeKeR
Superbad

melee weapons are very effective when it comes to up close and personal fights.... but it wont matter if your overrun by shitloads of zombies.... how i wish that there was an M134 SHOTGUN.... i'd have fun with that
Old 2010-07-15, 00:35   Link #87
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

I'd get my Snukes ready....
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 01:18   Link #88
FateAnomaly

Frankly, i think my chance of surviving is practically nil. Fighting it out is out of the question since i neither have the weapons or the physical ability. Only 2 options is viable.

One, barricade myself at home. I stay at a high rise building normally accessible only by 1 flight of stairs and the elevator. Barricading it should be easy by just blocking off the stairs. The problem lies in supplies. No way in means no way out. I can only hope i get rescued before its too late.

Two, try to find a way to a army with isn't exactly very far away. The problem is i don't drive and depending on the stage of invasion, even a short distance may be a little too far. On the other hand, if i do make it, my chances of survival will be higher.

Anyway, i don't think the situation will be that bad. Sure the initial stage will be bad but once the counter attack start, the zombies will be no match for modern weaponry.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 01:31   Link #89
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I think your best best would be to do it like Shaun of the Dead. Just pretend to be one of them and head for the closest pub and wait for it all to blow over
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 02:00   Link #90
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
For those without access to a firearm, maybe you'd be lucky enough to have a "Super-Soaker" squirt-gun filled with gasoline and a zippo-lighter tied to the end.

Oh and maybe a pokey stick to keep the burning zombies that are still kickin a little away.
Tried that before. The soaker melted at the nozzle. The problem is that the fuel pressure squirting out isn't as high as conventional flamethrower, and the rate of burn of the fuel is higher than that of the rate of release of the fuel, so it can result in the thing burning backwards.

I would stock up on nailguns with air cans. And I have some knowledge of making explosives like TATP (I love high school Chemistry exam questions), so I shouldn't have a problem fighting my way out.

Given the fact that my country still chamber their rifles in the 5.56 round, I am glad I am trained in heavier firearms like the FN MAG GPMG. Tighten the gas tap and it becomes a semi-auto/bolt-action rifle with a real punch. I don't think I will complain if I get my hands on the standard issue rifle, it's a pretty accurate weapon with a scope, just too bulky and hard to bring to the shoulder.

As for food, we would need non-perishables, but canned food will slow you down. Take stuff like smoked meat in bags or such, if better, grab a water bag on the run. And if I ran, I would take along my Identification card along with my military ID.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 02:36   Link #91
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Tried that before. The soaker melted at the nozzle. The problem is that the fuel pressure squirting out isn't as high as conventional flamethrower, and the rate of burn of the fuel is higher than that of the rate of release of the fuel, so it can result in the thing burning backwards.
^ This guy knows what he is talking about. I was a pyro myself (13-15 yo) and I tried all kinds of crazy sh*t.... hitting a stash of gun powder with a rock (didn't end well) .. Shooting at a glass jar filled with gun powder (didn't work out cause I needed incendiary rounds which are illegal off course!) ... the super soaker trick that almost cost me my eyebrows....setting lines of the strongest types of ants on fire (that was awesome! they didn't die and I almost caused something bigger cause those dam ants didn't stop running around even tho they were on fire)... u name it...

When ur an amateur ur weirdest fantasies will always backfire on you.....
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 04:01   Link #92
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero92 View Post
A melee weapon that is effective on a human is not necessarily effective on a zombie. What would be a lethal thrust of a rapier or a fatal slashing wound from a Shaolin hook sword can be merely brushed off by the undead. The warclub is great at smashing people, but you need to smash the zombie's head; hitting anywhere else is not going to stop it effectively. Now, try hitting a zombie's head while surrounded by more zombies. As stress builds and panic starts to set in, your precision tends to drop.

As kaizer63 mentioned, you need to be good with your chosen weapon. You could have the sharpest, finest sword in the world, but it won't do you a lot of good if you swing it around like it was a cudgel. Plus you could hurt yourself and/or others, that's just not cool.

Quote:
Yeah... you don't get a lot of melee practice with HvZ... at least not at my school since they're banned. On the other hand, you do get all the wonders of learning how to take a random group of people and forge them into a passable squad. Ammunition isn't quite as worrisome since you can always pick up darts and have things like the 35-shot drum magazine that fits on almost every gun.
For the first few games, melee weapons were allowed. However, the people in charge didn't do that great of a job in specifying what was considered a legal melee weapon. As a result, a bunch of folks from the martial arts club dons some pads and suddenly, I'm being judo thrown, kicked around, and of course, punched in the face. Plus those bastards were speedy agile guys. On the bright side, when one of them turned, it's like we got a super zombie.

Ammunition wise, it doesn't help that several humans used incompatible guns, such as non-Nerf brand shooters. In the end, I just made my own darts and stuffed them into a drop bag. I didn't care to lose them, but some kids were scouring the ground for their's. And since everyone used some other nerf gun, we couldn't always share magazines...

Yeah, being a human was tough.
Old 2010-07-15, 04:09   Link #93
Nosauz

I'm sorry but you L4D1/2 fan boys are absolutely wrong. In a Zombie Apocalypse you absolutely do not want to face a zombie close range, will it happen? Yes, but it still doesn't mean that you want a melee weapon. If we take the assumption that this is some pathological outbreak being anywhere near the blood spatter of a dieing zombie is basically a death sentence. I mean as you lack nutrients your skin will slowly become less resilient and increasing your chance for infection. If you think about Zombies similar to the HIV virus you want to be preferably in swimsuit skin tight gloves and heavy duty shoes and some form of headgear that protects your face. I mean being close combat with more than 2-3 zombies will most likely lead to infection, unless your some sort of sword master. You basically want a m1 grand from world war two or a M-4 Carbine to give you good distance and enough fire power so that you don't have to waste multiple shots to the head to eliminate zombies.

Oh toopurepureboy... someone has been watching too much Dusk till Dawn.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 05:11   Link #94
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

where is the rule that says to Kick your BFF in case the BFF got caught by a horde of zombies? D:

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 05:20   Link #95
FateAnomaly

Its there, right after the "too dumb to live" section.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 05:23   Link #96
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If you ask me if I needed anything more than a sidearm I'd be using a lightweight assault rifle. An M4A1 would be ideal more so for the fact that it was designed to have a good number of attachments. I could stick an M1 bayonet in case of close quarters or that flamethrower attachment I've always wanted to see for crowd control. In the end it's versatile and it saves me the trouble of having to carry extra guns for varying situations.

Also I'd probably prefer someone in the group to carry a sniper rifle and a squad auto weapon. An M40 (yes I know it's bolt action) and an M249 SAW would be fine.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 06:06   Link #97
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Having said that, being a small country, I live within 5 km of at least 3 army bases, so I might just try to drive there for weapons. Not sure what they have in the way of ammo though, I know they have guns, not sure how much ammo they have.
The question here is if the soldiers at the base are going to deprive themselves of weapons/ammo to every random untrained civillian who shows up looking for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I could stick an M1 bayonet in case of close quarters
Piercing weapons aren't the best things to use against zed. Since his head is his only really vulnerable point and you're bayonet can very well get stuck in the skull after you pierce it.

With regards to HtH combat, I think allot of people are disregarding the danger of getting zombie blood and tissue splattered all over you. If you don't make sure to wash up afterwords you could be in trouble.

Quote:
or that flamethrower attachment I've always wanted to see for crowd control.
...I somehow doubt somebody stuck a 40-60 pound attachment onto a 7 pound rifle.

More to the point, while a Zombie would when torched, it's worth questioning if he'd burn fast enough so that he'd die before he got within arms reach of you.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 06:07   Link #98
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
^ This guy knows what he is talking about. I was a pyro myself (13-15 yo) and I tried all kinds of crazy sh*t.... hitting a stash of gun powder with a rock (didn't end well) .. Shooting at a glass jar filled with gun powder (didn't work out cause I needed incendiary rounds which are illegal off course!) ... the super soaker trick that almost cost me my eyebrows....setting lines of the strongest types of ants on fire (that was awesome! they didn't die and I almost caused something bigger cause those dam ants didn't stop running around even tho they were on fire)... u name it...

When ur an amateur ur weirdest fantasies will always backfire on you.....
Well over here they have 100% gun control, no guns, no gunpowder. The last one I tried is stripping sparklers of the powder, and mixing it with diesel on Mid-Autumn Festival. Hell of a lightshow.

To make a flamethrower you need to have a high-pressure, high propellant exit-velocity fuel...something like an aerosol can with a glowing, not burning, wire/stick attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
<snip>
Something like combat CBRE gear?

Quote:
If you ask me if I needed anything more than a sidearm I'd be using a lightweight assault rifle. An M4A1 would be ideal more so for the fact that it was designed to have a good number of attachments. I could stick an M1 bayonet in case of close quarters or that flamethrower attachment I've always wanted to see for crowd control. In the end it's versatile and it saves me the trouble of having to carry extra guns for varying situations.

Also I'd probably prefer someone in the group to carry a sniper rifle and a squad auto weapon. An M40 (yes I know it's bolt action) and an M249 SAW would be fine.
That is the last weapon you want.....high maintenance (shudders at the thought of cleaning M16 and AR-15 carbines back in his army days). I would rather you take a HK-416.

Why is everyone talking like weapons are the sole factor to survival? What about medical research and vaccine building?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 06:18   Link #99
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
I think your best best would be to do it like Shaun of the Dead. Just pretend to be one of them and head for the closest pub and wait for it all to blow over
To the Winchester!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 06:23   Link #100
MetalCookie

I would send in the survivors from Left 4 Dead. xD

Tags
apocalypse, firearms, survive, zombies