Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-17, 13:03   Link #821
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
i really wished they didnt do a timeskip and just kept the original characters.......this is just so dull.
I couldn't disagree more.
Old 2012-06-17, 13:38   Link #822
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I couldn't disagree more.
Agreed. Korra is a wonderfully interesting character. She has displayed some real emotions and qualities that Aang never really achieved (at least not early on); her fears, her hates, her impatience, her desires have all been quite fun to watch and experience. And while I find her romantic storyline to be very ill-paced, her actual character development has been quite good and always interesting.

In fact, the only characters that I have any problems with are the Brothers, and that's more because they lack any real personality beyond their interaction with Korra (and Asami). Who is Mako beyond his crush on Korra and his relationship with Asami? Who is Bolin besides his humour?

But, besides the brothers, I feel the other characters have been fleshed out in interesting and fun ways, and the story, which is decidedly darker than much of the original series, is quite exciting and generally very good.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 13:55   Link #823
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

In fact, the only characters that I have any problems with are the Brothers, and that's more because they lack any real personality beyond their interaction with Korra (and Asami). Who is Mako beyond his crush on Korra and his relationship with Asami? Who is Bolin besides his humour?
huh..........thats a really good point that i havent noticed before, they are just sorta there....

and about my comment before maybe im just bias to the first avatar series, i miss them so much
Old 2012-06-17, 13:58   Link #824
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

The first thing I thought when I saw new Iroh was "A challenger appears!!"

Looks like Korra's harem is coming in very nicely.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 14:02   Link #825
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
huh..........thats a really good point that i havent noticed before, they are just sorta there....

and about my comment before maybe im just bias to the first avatar series, i miss them so much
I will agree with that. The 20 seconds of Sokka were amazing . I loved his casual mention of Combustion Man.
Old 2012-06-17, 14:04   Link #826
antediluvian
Before the Deluge

I found the original Avatar hard to get into, what with the filler episodes and such. I know the story and how most of everything turns out, and I've had no problem slipping into it's universe with the Legend of Korra. I love Korra's personality. I'm also enjoying Tenzen, Lin, and Asami very much. I agree that Mako doesn't have much personality, he's more so there as a plot device to create drama between Korra & Asami. However, I really like Bolin. His humor is his personality. Maybe they'll flesh the brothers out more in the second season, but I could care less about Mako.

Three cheers for Korra's harem!
antediluvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 14:54   Link #827
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

My god, is it just me or is Meelo the most irritating character of the century? Whoever thought his character was a good idea was out of their mind and trying too hard to be funny. (Maybe the kids who watch the show find him funny, I guess, but I just cringe and facepalm.)
Old 2012-06-17, 15:48   Link #828
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanty View Post
My god, is it just me or is Meelo the most irritating character of the century? Whoever thought his character was a good idea was out of their mind and trying too hard to be funny. (Maybe the kids who watch the show find him funny, I guess, but I just cringe and facepalm.)
I actually tend to find him fairly funny; his slow motion roar was pretty hilarious... though he really does need to loose the farting

Though thinking about the fight, the only airbender kid i had a problem with was Ikki... Jinora and Meelo's fights seemed like they made sense, but with Ikki it seemed like the only reason she knocked out so many fighters is because they just stood there and did nothing as she rolled over them. Jinora's move made sense since she had a real surprise element going for her and Meelo actually makes me think that Airbender might be more difficult to fight hand to hand... When it comes down to it, the equalists rely on being able to dodge bending attacks, usually by nothing more than by a small margin... Thing is though, unlike earth, fire and water, you can not really "see" wind attacks making them more difficult to dodge; furtharmore with the amount of force that wind attacks use, they would be striking at incredible speeds. So the attacks are very fast and you can't see the attacks coming; thus the most difficult kind of attacks to see coming and dodge.
Old 2012-06-17, 16:17   Link #829
kitten320

^Also Air benders are great at avoiding.

Honestly I still wish that we would have a sequel with old charas since they are so much better especially when it comes to bending and action. They know how to deliver it.

Brothers are the most boring bunch here. At first I had some interest in them but now it is gone. Masami is far more fun than them and she is not even a bender.

Though I can't say I dislike this series. Korra, Tenzin, Lin and Asami are a great edition to cool character list.
I just hope creators won't ruin Asami with the whole jealousy factor and will keep it rational as it is now.

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-06-17 at 17:21.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 16:33   Link #830
Somnus
Eh?

I'd comment, but this episode was just too good. It'd pretty much be me praising every second of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanty View Post
I disagree. I find him hilarious. He's pretty much a younger version of Aang Season 1. There's no doubt in my mind that at 12 he's going to be Aang 2.0, and if that's what the writers' intents were then they've done a brilliant job. What did you want him to be like? In my opinion, anything else would've felt wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Though thinking about the fight, the only airbender kid i had a problem with was Ikki... Jinora and Meelo's fights seemed like they made sense, but with Ikki it seemed like the only reason she knocked out so many fighters is because they just stood there and did nothing as she rolled over them. Jinora's move made sense since she had a real surprise element going for her and Meelo actually makes me think that Airbender might be more difficult to fight hand to hand... When it comes down to it, the equalists rely on being able to dodge bending attacks, usually by nothing more than by a small margin... Thing is though, unlike earth, fire and water, you can not really "see" wind attacks making them more difficult to dodge; furtharmore with the amount of force that wind attacks use, they would be striking at incredible speeds. So the attacks are very fast and you can't see the attacks coming; thus the most difficult kind of attacks to see coming and dodge.
I agree. I had a hard time believing Ikki would be able to land a hit on that many equalists. Airbending may be harder to defend against, but that attack was way too straightforward (and to be fair, it's not really even an attack). Meelo on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed. Rather than speed and inexperience vs. airbending though (which ARE factors, just not the primary ones), I'd actually dumb it down to it simply being that he's small (literally speaking. It would've been more difficult to use the typical moves), and equalists or not they probably hesitated at the thought of attacking a child.

Tenzin on the other hand, is a master through and through. You know you're awesome when it takes 6 mechs to bring you down. I'll never get tired of watching Tenzin fight.

I've got to give a massive shout out to Asami too. The girl's got spunk. I like that. I like that a lot. Mako's an idiot. Also no, I highly doubt she's going to change sides.

That's that, so bring on the finale! (The Iroh appearance was downright awesome)
Old 2012-06-17, 17:53   Link #831
Destined_Fate

Mako doesn't see Korra in a platonic way, he already admitted that he's attracted to her and enjoyed their kiss. However he was already with Asami so that really makes things complicated for him since both are pretty nice girls. He feels loyalty to Asami because he's already dating her but he hasn't been the best at fighting off how he feels about Korra so yeah...

Quote:
Agreed. Korra is a wonderfully interesting character. She has displayed some real emotions and qualities that Aang never really achieved (at least not early on); her fears, her hates, her impatience, her desires have all been quite fun to watch and experience. And while I find her romantic storyline to be very ill-paced, her actual character development has been quite good and always interesting.

But, besides the brothers, I feel the other characters have been fleshed out in interesting and fun ways, and the story, which is decidedly darker than much of the original series, is quite exciting and generally very good.
Well, they had something when they were still in the ring but with that out of the way... There isn't much for them other than their interactions with Korra and working as a part of Team Avatar.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-17, 18:38   Link #832
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But they're not powerless and power structures are a part of society. Whether it's based on money, talent, knowledge or a combination, it's there. Just assuming that you remove someone's natural born talent and everything is going to be okay is pretty naive. Another force will just step into the vacuum and establish their own set of rules.

Who's to say that after Amon wipes out the benders that he doesn't establish himself as the new top dog? Or that his backers don't knock him off and seize control?

What Amon is doing is just another form of ethnic cleansing imo.
He's gray simply by the fact that, other than taking their bending away (which is extreme), he doesn't do anything overtly cruel afterwards. He doesn't kill them, torture them (As far as we've seen), nor incite every bender to be killed/blinded/maimed. Once they're "Cleansed", they're just like the rest.

Anyway, I agree with you on the fact that it won't end well. Amon can't eradicate bending since non-benders can still have bending kids (Katara and Tarrlok, for example) and he won't be around forever. He'll also most likely put himself up as ruler using his support.

I do say, however, that they have legitimate complaints. Non-benders have no seat in the ruling council, which means the benders get the final say and even the air acolytes, which probably number less than a hundred, have more say in the city's affairs compared to the thousands of non-benders solely due to Tenzin. This wasn't the case in the flashback, since Sokka and an unnamed Air Acolyte were there. They need at least one non-bending rep to alleviate the concerns.
Old 2012-06-17, 19:42   Link #833
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
I do say, however, that they have legitimate complaints. Non-benders have no seat in the ruling council, which means the benders get the final say and even the air acolytes, which probably number less than a hundred, have more say in the city's affairs compared to the thousands of non-benders solely due to Tenzin. This wasn't the case in the flashback, since Sokka and an unnamed Air Acolyte were there. They need at least one non-bending rep to alleviate the concerns.
Technically the council hasn't changed. The make up of the council is that each member of the council is meant to represent their respective nations. Sokka was likely the representative of the southern water tribe, and the air acolyte was there to represent the air nomads since the only other more highly respected member was Aang who would have had other responsibilities. Even today, the council is made up of those who are people who were likely high ranking and respected members of their nations... bending or no bending; though it just so happens that benders are more than likely to be in higher positions in those respective societies. This is what has led to the lack of non-bending membership

In a sense i'd say the real problem that the council has is that the council is built to represent the interests of their respective nations in regards to the united republic... the republic itself, technically does not have its own representative. If the council were to have several seats that could be elected from the population of republic city, then we would see better representation.
Old 2012-06-17, 19:53   Link #834
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Quote:
The air acolytes are not actually airbenders themselves, they just carry on the traditions and practices of the Air Nomads.
Old 2012-06-17, 20:02   Link #835
Eratas123

@ LuxorMG - I know they aren't (Tenzin's family is one of the few airbenders left). I'm just saying that the Air Acolytes as a group have more influence.

@ SlayerX - Yeah, but you can bet Amon will probably use the lack of non-bender's on the council as an excuse:/

Anyway, voting is going to be flawed as well. What's stopping benders from threatening the masses to vote for them?
Old 2012-06-17, 20:24   Link #836
james0246

Quote:

Amon can't eradicate bending since non-benders can still have bending kids (Katara and Tarrlok, for example) and he won't be around forever.
I've been wondering for awhile if the 'sterlized' Benders can still have children that could be Benders, or if the forcible removal of the bending ability would affect their progeny/descendents.
Old 2012-06-17, 20:40   Link #837
Slayerx

Quote:
Anyway, voting is going to be flawed as well. What's stopping benders from threatening the masses to vote for them?
The simple fact that the vast majority of benders are NOT violent criminals and are just ordinary people... and threatening people for their votes would be a criminal offense that would likely get them disqualified

Quote:
I've been wondering for awhile if the 'sterlized' Benders can still have children that could be Benders, or if the forcible removal of the bending ability would affect their progeny/descendents.
They can. Given Tarlok's age (37) he was born AFTER Yakone had his bending stripped from him (though no clue how he apparently avoided a life time of jail... escaped maybe?). In a sense, Tarlock actually exposes the futilitiy of Amon's campaign since you can't rid the world of bending as bending can still be passed down through de-powered benders (and non-benders may even carry the gene's from their ancesters as both of katara's parents were non benders)
Old 2012-06-17, 22:02   Link #838
Wargumm1i
Hentai

The guy in the end of episode 10 epic voice fail. Here i was thinking a manly man who most likely is Zuko´s grandson, still that voice..... woot?
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 00:05   Link #839
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

He's voiced by the same person who voiced Zuko you do know that right?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 00:18   Link #840
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
He's voiced by the same person who voiced Zuko you do know that right?
i knew that straight away ^^

lets hope he gets in on korras harem too

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra