AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think is behind the mystery?
There is a rational reason behind all of this. 140 74.87%
There is definitely something supernatural at hand. 47 25.13%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-08-22, 13:23   Link #581
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ firelycan

Up until now I thought Oyashiro-sama = godess... lol

Q. Are we seing multiple stories or just one ?
Old 2006-08-23, 00:37   Link #582
Wanderer
Goat

I found it quite interesting that Rena was apologising towards K1 back in Onikakushi-hen. Later she asks K1 if he'd ever had someone apologise to him over and over. Now, why would Rena face K1 and apologise when we know that her big thing in her past was to apologise to Oyashiro-sama? Does she think that K1 is Oyashiro-sama?

Also, the first time I watched Tatarigoroshi-hen, K1's homicidal side just seemed... out of character (not to mention just plain stupid). I kind of felt like something more than his desire to protect Satoko was compelling him to do it.

So, let me just throw the idea out there: What if Satoko's comment at the end of Tatarigoroshi-hen about K1 being possessed was right.

Now, what if Rena in Onikakushi-hen was familiar with the Tatarigoroshi possession phenominon, (which is what happened to her before, and what happened to Satoshi) but was not familiar with whatever K1 was going through in Onikakushi-hen? What if she mistook K1's schizophrenia for the Tatarigoroshi possession/curse?

Sure, as a theory, it's out there. But, heck, I'm sure the real answer is gonna be at least as weird as this.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-23, 07:09   Link #583
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Wanderer

K1? Is this some mean name people use for Keiichi on the board @_@. How cruel.

My Stupid Theory

Himawiza is situated on volcanic vents.
These strings of murders are just the latest pieces in a very big and bloody picture of Himawizas history.

The volcanic vents produce poisonous gas that seeps out from the ground unnoticed. Contact with it can cause hallucinations and an increased sense of paranoia.

While it affects everyone, children *hint hint* and/or people with a weak body and spirit (or that have had some recent traumatizing event to induce mental stress) will feel its effects.

The gas increases the adrenalin in the blood and sharpens the senses, which leads to paranoia.

The most serious effect occurs at night, when the body is usually stressed and awareness increases. Victims experience realistic nightmares where their worse fears come true before their eyes. They also loose their sense of reality. Hence even when they wake up they still mix some part of the dream world with reality. They are basically awake, because of the adrenaline in their blood, and yet half way to sleep walking.

In such circumstances the subjects become violent and unsociable, which hides the fact that his body is suffering from the effects of the gas.

The act of being "demoned away" is a folktale derived from the effect of the gas. Presumably the vents would build up pressure and in specific periods of time release it, most likely at 1 year difference, it's not surprising that the time period would coincide with the festival. Like most culture a festival to please the gods is usually help prior to or on the exact date when the people thought that the gods would be angry and great peril would befall upon them. (like strings of murders)

Since the subjects are most vulnerable to the gas at night its very likely that Oyashiro-sama would come and sit at the window of their bed and whisper dark thoughts to them at that time, and all the hideous acts (like murders) would occur at night.

The reasons why the strings of murders are so intense in the last years is probably because of the increasing build up of gas... a premonition for the finale.

Anyway, the real world should be most of the scenes that occur in the middle of the day. or the scenes at night that appear in multiple arcs : like Rika's neck thing or Shion and Keiichis conversation or the story at the shack of fun & joy... stuff like that.

Full dream world is when the scene seems to be exactly as the characters paranoia dictates... like for example when the villages chief and council act all cold at the news that someone violated their holy shit... uhh... I mean shack. (I'm not 100% sure but if I remember correctly at a meeting between Ooishi and Keiichi they made it evident that for most of the day the village chief wasn't even in Himawiza) another full dream could be when Keiichi meats Rena (with the cleaver) and is followed buy the goons and eventually gets hit by some bat. After it hits he wakes up with Rena and supposedly Mion by his side. (of course it could be backwards very easily... the hole scene where he kills them could be fake, since we see him in another arc being carried away on a stretcher as the only survivor after the big finale. My guess is that his father wants to reopen the dam project, and the goons want to use Keiichi as blackmail...

Anyway...
RealityDream moment... like for example when Keiichi wakes up (from what I just described above) that would be dream reality... as in there are elements of reality and things that he just imagines, like the syringe. I speculate that the actual time span between certain events is very short. What appears to be several days in the episode(s) could just be one day. Well I personally find it strange how Mion isn't suffering from hunger and is still (while depressed) all bright and shiny days. Other examples of "RealityDream" would be Mion-Onibaba conversation (for Shion) and definitely most of Renas evil moments (for Keiichi). I suspect that some of the things are just exaggerations of her actual words and some are completely fake. The completely fake ones (in Renas case) are most likely the ones where she doesn't repeat the last word. For example in the last example that I gave for the dream state (in the paragraph above), the one that happens in Ep4 when Rena is in school uniform with a machete, she never repeated the last word, not even once.

Bla Bla Bla......

Ok that's it for my little theory... I think it about covers most of the events... except Rika... She's one of the most non-normal characters in the show... In Ep20 when she's walking with Shion, after Shion turns her back and says something like : "what's she up to ?" her face goes from cute to horror in a ghostly fashion... I'm not sure if that's an animation fluke or if its suppose to be like that. Anyway the premonition thing seems so supernatural its hard to figure out.

Oh well, one thing that comes to mind about Rika is that she's probably the one who killed Satoshi. (maybe for revenge against Satoko)
Old 2006-08-23, 09:35   Link #584
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
K1? Is this some mean name people use for Keiichi on the board @_@. How cruel.
It's a supposed "cool way" that foreign anime fans think of writing out "Keiichi." I believe this comes from how Morisato Keiichi in "Ah! Megami-sama" signs his name.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 18:11   Link #585
Audity

From the end of the Curse Killing Chapter arc,
Spoiler:

I know absolutely nothing about this series except from what I watched just from yesterday and today (1 - 20), so I just want to give my observations and perspective without reading any official information beforehand. It seems to me that the first arc was like a filler/introductory arc. The following arc "actually starts" the series. At the end of the 2nd arc, there's a horrible conclusion (fate-wise, not quality-wise). Then the 3rd one seems like a totally different scenario, but actually connects to the 5th arc in many ways -- the current arc being a different perspective of the 2nd arc.

I can only wonder what the next arc is going to be like. I predict that it's going to focus on Rena, and be pretty much in a completely different scenario than any of the arcs thus far. Most everything's been explained by now, except the mysteries of Rena.

Also, anyone know of any blooper-type material that's going to be released? This series simply reeks of quality blooper material, especially during the first few arcs where one can quite possibly get really confused why people keep disappearing and reappearing. That combined with and because characters' personalities change at so many points.
Audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 19:25   Link #586
Shuin4
You faked all of it.

I don't know if this was posted yet, but I found a site that lists all the differences between the anime and the game (atleast up until episode 5). it even goes into detail on what the anime didn't say, like what actually happened when Rena attacked her friends at her old school in Onikakushi-hen.

anyway, link: http://www.makenaidesuwayo.com/categ...ime/higurashi/
Shuin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 21:45   Link #587
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audity
From the end of the Curse Killing Chapter arc,
Spoiler:
Why is it that people call it "gas explosion"? ^^; There are no explosions whatsoever. It's a disaster involving poisonous gases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audity
I know absolutely nothing about this series except from what I watched just from yesterday and today (1 - 20), so I just want to give my observations and perspective without reading any official information beforehand.
Unfortunately, this anime is little more than a digest of the actual game story, so don't be surprised if many things leave you scatching your head going "huh?"
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 09:14   Link #588
imac2much

Spoiler for TIPS questions - big spoilers for Meakashi, be warned!:
imac2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 11:19   Link #589
LostBlue
祭囃子

Spoiler for RE: imac2much:
LostBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 11:57   Link #590
imac2much

Spoiler for Lostblue:
imac2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 14:21   Link #591
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac2much
Spoiler for Lostblue:
That was me, and I was referring to kj's notes for the last TIPs (which referred to Shion as Mion). Of course, no changes are made to the actual TIPs themselves (hence you see Shion calling Mion "Shion" in some of those TIPs).
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 01:23   Link #592
actawesomee

hi all I'm new to these forums this is my first post. I want to know if someone will help me make an AMV using maxwell's silver hammer and higurashi together.
actawesomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 21:55   Link #593
Vicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaOnna
About the rain in ep 11. In the previous arcs, there wasn't any rain during the Watanagashi festival, but there was one in this arc. However, it did rain after the festival in Watanagashi-hen.
Just got a random thought about that rain when I read about the death dates in the tips thread. Could it be something simple as the festival in Tatarigoroshi-hen is held at an different date? In Onikakushi-hen, ep 2, we can see that it rains 2 days after Watanagashi festival. Could that mean that the festival in Tatarigoroshi-hen is held at the 21 of June instead of the 19th?
Vicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-30, 01:02   Link #594
Bloodseeker

Seeing as how I can't make threads thanks to that stupid ass rule, I guess that I'll just put this here...

Casey and Friends! (4kids Higurashi parody)

"Casey's" girl-scream FTW!

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2006-08-30 at 01:14.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 16:38   Link #595
Killer Loli
baka desu

Send a message via AIM to Killer Loli
Who here has read Minagoroshi-hen? I was just wondering, since the anime goes only up to Tsumihoroboshi-hen, about whether Minagoroshi-hen has a logical answer for everything, a paranormal answer or a combination of both? i can't tell from the TIPS section alone + have not read Minagoroshi-hen
Killer Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 16:43   Link #596
MarmoO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicke
Just got a random thought about that rain when I read about the death dates in the tips thread. Could it be something simple as the festival in Tatarigoroshi-hen is held at an different date? In Onikakushi-hen, ep 2, we can see that it rains 2 days after Watanagashi festival. Could that mean that the festival in Tatarigoroshi-hen is held at the 21 of June instead of the 19th?

I think this tip from Himatsubushi has the crucial meaning here:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...0&postcount=73

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-08-31 at 17:35.
MarmoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 21:57   Link #597
Symmetry
安堵竜

Predictions for Tsumihoroboshi.

Keichi was hallucinating a lot. I'm guessing the needle wasn't really there, the eye slits were imagined, and the demeaner and word choice of Rena were exagerated in his perception, adn that Rena was really afraid for/of him and trying to save him from what she had experienced earlier rather than trying to hurt him.

Since Wikipedia predicts a happyish ending, Keichi will end up being saved after Mion and Rena manage to inject him with the antidote they got from either Rika or the Doctor.
Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-31, 22:36   Link #598
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetry
Predictions for Tsumihoroboshi.

Keichi was hallucinating a lot. I'm guessing the needle wasn't really there, the eye slits were imagined, and the demeaner and word choice of Rena were exagerated in his perception, adn that Rena was really afraid for/of him and trying to save him from what she had experienced earlier rather than trying to hurt him.

Since Wikipedia predicts a happyish ending, Keichi will end up being saved after Mion and Rena manage to inject him with the antidote they got from either Rika or the Doctor.
Because the wikipedia was confusing, and someone else seemed to have editted it proclaiming that it was a direct story for Onikakushi-hen, we've updated the wikipedia so that it now reads:

Unlike Meakashi-hen, Tsumihoroboshi-hen is a totally different story where Rena undergoes a similar situation that befell upon Keiichi in Onikakushi-hen. This episode explains many details on what went wrong in Onikakushi-hen, except this time the "victim" is Rena.

Bottom line: Tsumihoroboshi-hen IS NOT a direct opposite view of Onikakushi-hen.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 11:40   Link #599
NykylaiHellray

What I am still trying to figure out, is what is Keichii?

In my eyes most supernatural stuff can be explained, yet then he comes along in that one chapter, wishing people dead, and surprise surprise them dying. Whether this is concidence is debatetable, yet in the tips the interviewer dies the way keichi cursed him =/.....

I am also still wondering if the parrel universes are touching each other after seperating =/ is the parrel universe thing more important then we believe?
NykylaiHellray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-01, 12:25   Link #600
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
I'm gona post my rational theory for Onikakushi/Tsumihoroboshi-hen here, which I believe I posted in a previous thread before it got deleted. Credit goes to kj for tipping me as well as everyone off for the marker cross syringe picture that it is a big hint.

I got this theory lying around my anime blog since I watched episode 9 I believe, so I'm gona re-write the whole thing here after watching Meakashi-hen. I have not touched Tsumihoroboshi-hen yet, even tho the raw is out.

I'll try to be as complete as possible, so expect a long post.

Onikakushi-hen Episode Analysis

The function of Episode 1:

Episode 1 is easily dismissed as an introductory chapter. However it should not be dismissed as it contains a crucial event that ANSWERS the HUGE question in Episode 4! Of course after HEAVY support from other question and answer arcs. I will say it again in bold: ONIKAKUSHI-HEN EPISODE 1 ANSWERS ONIKAKUSHI-HEN EPISODE 4!

The function of Episode 2:

Episode 2 functions as a counter-check for the Hallucinogen theory for Rena's case.

Function of Episode 3:

Episode 3 is an introduction to the manner the main bulk of questions will be be asked in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Function of Episode 4:

This episode shoots questions at the viewer like bullets from an MG and is heavily narrative towards the end. Solving these questions is crucial to solving the mysteries behind Onikakushi-hen.

Main theory: The Hallucinogen Theory

Main point for H-THeory:

At the beginning of episode 3 Keichii was injected by Dr Irie for a "cold". This is strange, as the average patient would be given pills or syrup. Moreover, Keichii was more or less faking the cold to avoid Rena for the day.

I believe the drug injected contained a hallucinogen. Notice that everything only went haywire after he was injected.

Digression H-Theory Question 1: Why would Dr Irie inject Keichii with a Hallucinogen?

Answer 1: As an experiement because he is weird. This was my initial answer and my weak support would be that he is a strange guy since he is paedophillic and also suicidal (Tatarigoroshi-hen).

Answer 2: This answer is stronger and the support is found within Onikakushi-hen itself. Dr Irie made a MISTAKE and injected Keichii with the wrong medicine. He subsequently sent some men in a van to kill Keichii but failed. In the end, he sent Mion and Rena as the "advance scout party" before his men because he knew the drug was taking effect. And true enough, Rena and Mion were killed.

Support for H-Theory 1: Rena

The loophole to this is that Rena behaved rather freakishly by going USOOODDAAA in episode 2 BEFORE Keichii was injected. My counter to this is that Rena behaved in a normal way a human being would behave when he/she is angry if u watch her carefully. She only started behaving NOT like a human being from episode 3 onwards.

Further support is drawn from Watanagashi-hen. From Watanagashi-hen we know that Rena is intelligent, caring and sane, and that Keichii was not injected by anything. Thus she is incapable behaving like a total and complete psycho as shown in episode 3 onwards.

Why did Rena become psycho? Well she didnt really become psycho, but was perceived as psycho by Keichii. I believe Keichii became more wary of Rena after all the information Oishii has been feeding him. This is quite a crucial event and I believe the timing is critical.

Support for the H-Theory 2: The needle

If you watch carefully, there is no blood in the rice after Keichii, apparently, bit into the needle. Also later, the needle could not be found. Thus the needle could not have existed.

Support for H-Theory 3: Stains on the wall

There were no stains at all when he went in to find the needle, even tho he made a big mess beforehand.

Counter/Loophole for H-Theory Support 2 and 3:

Keichii's mother could have came in to clean up the place. However note that she rushed off to Tokyo so this could not have happened. If Keichii cleaned up the place himself, I he would not have wondered where the needle was, as he would have already found it.

Support for H-Theory 4: Mion

This is added as I did not watch Meakashi-hen, coz I more or less wrote up this theory when watching episode 9. Support is drawn from Meakashi-hen. We know from Meakashi-hen that Mion is a kind and caring person, so it is not possible for her to become amazingly freakish as well.

Counter for H-Theory Support 4: Shion

Well it couldnt be Shion either because she doesnt know anything about the club activity I believe.

Onikakushi-hen H-theory RATIONAL Answer

Well from Keichii's eyes we see that he was held down by Rena and injected by Mion.

This is not possible. Support is drawn from Tatarigoroshi-hen. Rena has not shown signs of super-human strength at all. The only girl that has demonstrated this is Satoko. Also from Tatarigoroshi-hen, we can see that Keichii is a strong bastard capable of pumelling a man to death.

This event indicates the nearing of the final stage of the hallucingoen.

Why was Keichii being punished? Because he failed to complete the club activity homework given to him, but instead did something else to it.

How was Keichii punished? Well putting a syringe through his arm is really inconsistent with the kinds of punishment he has been getting.

Support is drawn from Onikakushi-hen episode 1. Mion was going to punish Keichii by drawing something on his face again. That's right, what Mion took out was not a syringe, it was a MARKER.

When Mion took off the cap from the "syringe", she was actually taking the cap off the marker.

This backed by how the police could not find a syringe in Keichii's room. This is juz a very random guess now, but i believe the manager searched Keichii's room and found some note at the back of the clock. Now the writer of Higurashi wants us to think that he removed the syringe, but since there's no syringe in the first place all he actually did was remove the middle part of the note that is a threat to him. If Keichii glued the marker to the back of the clock, the manager removed it for some reason which I cannot predict now.

Keichii beat Mion and Rena to death through fear of being injected.

Later, Keichii clawed his throat out because the drug was actually not a mere hallucinogen and had arrived at its final stages. He kept mumbling about Oyashiro-sama because the information was fed to his brain and distorted by the drug.

END OF H-THEORY

Note that the H-theory actually is a very good support theory to the point that Rika is somehow connected to the clinic and that Rika was the one who killed Tomitake. This is drawn from Meakashi-hen as well.
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote