AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-14, 23:25   Link #1021
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I didn't particularly like the flashback (unless there's a deeper, hidden meaning to it), and agree with what Shadow5YA said concerning it.

When Mahiro made the comment about what she must eat, I honestly groaned inside, expecting him to make a crack about her boobs.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 23:55   Link #1022
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I was honestly fine with the flashback. It's a rather important moment anyways. A meeting that frankly would consume the fate of the entire world. Plus I don't think Mahiro talking about his good friend is the same as saying "please go out with him." I thought it was an interesting moment before the hating Yoshino act was put forward by Aika. Showing how they both completely just blew past that isolation Aika faced her whole life and just proved how they are far stranger than even the Mage of Exodus .
Old 2013-03-15, 00:20   Link #1023
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

I knew it... IKNEWITIKNEWIKNEWIT that Mary Sue couldn't leave things alone.
I now fears at what she'll do to the remaining two episodes.
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 00:40   Link #1024
TheFallenxLullaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just wondering, was it mentioned in the manga if Aika was in middle school as well at that time? Or even her age at the time of the flashback? Because she hasn't developed much since then...
Well, I knew Yoshino and Mahiro were in middle school during the flashback..well that whole dinner scene was suppose to be just Mahiro and Aika. Yoshino and Aika met on the streets and Aika says something along the lines of he was weird and Yoshino replies that he's just a normal middle schooler. Logically thinking, Aika is just a year younger than Yoshino and Mahiro. Since at the beginning they were 2nd years and it's been a year since Aika died, and Mahiro said she wasn't 15 yet and at the time of the flashback Aika was fretting about High School entrance(guess she was a 3rd year jr high)exams...oh I just reread your question..sorry no, and I apologize for making this lengthy for such a simple question. I don't think they mentioned it. But if I have to guess she was probably a 1st or 2nd year. In the manga when before Yoshino met Aika, Mahiro showed Yoshino a picture of Aika she was wearing a sailor uniform, similar to the one she wears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
I knew it... IKNEWITIKNEWIKNEWIT that Mary Sue couldn't leave things alone.
I now fears at what she'll do to the remaining two episodes.
Well it's a bit expected right? As much as I would of loved it to stick exactly to the manga, it'll be a bit troublesome to cram 7 chapters in 3 episodes. :/
TheFallenxLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 00:46   Link #1025
SQA

Part of me wonders if that's a Flash-Drive Black Mail from Beyond the Grave. It just feels like something Aika would do.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 02:30   Link #1026
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFallenxLullaby View Post
In the manga when before Yoshino met Aika, Mahiro showed Yoshino a picture of Aika she was wearing a sailor uniform, similar to the one she wears.
Yeah, definitely was in middle school if it was similar to the one she wears. Which confirms my suspicions that I was wrong in my first assumption of Aika being childhood friends with Yoshino (or even Mahiro) that I made in the beginning of this series.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 03:12   Link #1027
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
It was established that Mahiro had no clue that Yoshino was dating Aika and thought they didn't get along. In the flashback, Mahiro essentially introduced the two and hooked them up by telling Aika that Yoshino is the guy she can rely on.
I'm not exactly sure what the big deal is here. I never got the feeling Mahiro was hooking up Mahiro and Aika together. And even, so why does that mean Mahiro would know about Yoshino and Aika dating later on? There wasn't any indication Yoshino and Aika started dating there and then.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 06:11   Link #1028
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
It was established that Mahiro had no clue that Yoshino was dating Aika and thought they didn't get along. In the flashback, Mahiro essentially introduced the two and hooked them up by telling Aika that Yoshino is the guy she can rely on.
People being friendly to each other when they first meet and then not getting along later on happens all the time.

This is a complete non issue.
Old 2013-03-15, 06:15   Link #1029
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What the last two guys said. I don't see that flashback as a setup at all, merely an introduction, and for me it contradicts nothing we've already seen or been told.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 06:45   Link #1030
Bern-san

But I want moe!Aika when she first met Yoshino
Even if they put the scene next episode it won't be the same in my opinion... I could see how they were made for each other since that first meeting.
Old 2013-03-15, 10:12   Link #1031
TheFallenxLullaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
Even if they put the scene next episode it won't be the same in my opinion... I could see how they were made for each other since that first meeting.
If I recall correctly even Yoshino says something about how it was 'fate'(?), or something along the with that word.

I mean with Mahiro and Aika's meeting he gave Aika Yoshino's #, kind of funny how things ended up like as results.
TheFallenxLullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 12:30   Link #1032
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
Agrees. Even they do put that scene in, the chemistry will be diferent. That "boy metes girl" feel during their first encounter is what I found endearing about them.
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 14:39   Link #1033
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
People being friendly to each other when they first meet and then not getting along later on happens all the time.

This is a complete non issue.
So I'm supposed to magically construct this scenario where Yoshino initially got along with Aika, then they go out of their way to pretend their relationship soured in front of Mahiro when they started going out?

Sure, why not! And here I thought Okada was the scenario writer

I'll commend BONES for sticking to the source material fairly well and not turning this into Full Metal Alchemist 2003 or JCStaff's Tsukihime and Yumekui Merry, but that doesn't mean it's flawless and gets a free pass. I call what I see.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 14:45   Link #1034
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
So I'm supposed to magically construct this scenario where Yoshino initially got along with Aika, then they go out of their way to pretend their relationship soured in front of Mahiro when they started going out?
What exactly is so wrong about that? Sorry, but your criticism isn't self evident here. I'm still failing to see the issue.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 15:01   Link #1035
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I'm confused because I thought the fact that they indeed do pretend to not get along was established?

Not to mention that apart from finding it amusing he called her "aika-chan" it's not like she was thrilled to see him ("do I look like the type of person who'd rely on someone?")
Old 2013-03-15, 15:37   Link #1036
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm confused because I thought the fact that they indeed do pretend to not get along was established?
Yes, it was established. However, Yoshino said he never understood why Aika wanted to hide their relationship. Perhaps the answer will be in that letter she left the boys.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 15:44   Link #1037
Folenfant
Banned

I think that flashback was the first time I saw Aika looking flustered and/or embarassed by something. Didnt even know she was capable of any display of anything other than absolute confidence and disillusion.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 23:04   Link #1038
GundamZZ
残念美人

I thought the storytelling is better than the days of Spiral. It can't helped to think that Aika has the eighth grader's disease. She takes her life just because Mahiro will meet Hakaze. It sounds rather lame. Still, the story is better than Spiral.

The list of possible Spiral equivalent.
Ayumu = Yoshino
EYES = Yoshino
Kiyotaka = Samon
Hiyono = Evangeline
RIO = Ayaka
Sayoko = Aika
Riouko = Hakaze

At least, this story promises the happy ending. Yoshino deserves someone such as Hakaze. Heck! As long as Hakaze has happy ending, everything would be fine. Her villager can't stop teasing her "coming of age". She should have a happy ending.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 23:53   Link #1039
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
I thought the storytelling is better than the days of Spiral. It can't helped to think that Aika has the eighth grader's disease. She takes her life just because Mahiro will meet Hakaze. It sounds rather lame.
And why is it lame if it's what's going to set up that meeting and thus bring the whole fight against the Genesis Tree into motion?
Old 2013-03-18, 00:31   Link #1040
GundamZZ
残念美人

Her committing suicide is lame. Because she can complete the task by herself. She can send the tree into space if she wants to do it. She sends Hakaze to sleep easily, although it's the trend of plot. Instead, she takes the more difficult route. She uses less capable Mahiro and Yoshino to device her play. Above all, she sees herself as a mere side character in the "play". Even before her death, her only concern is reciting Shakespeare's line. She becomes interested in Yoshino because Yoshino calls her Aika-chan. Their relationship still doesn't make sense. The logic is so manga style. So, Yoshino may doubt Aika's love for him. Yoshino may even doubt Hakaze's love him. Hakaze has to assures him her love for him is not just temporary crash. To help Hakaze, Mahiro and Yoshino turns against Samon. Then, they fights for Samon's cause. The outcome is not economical.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, gangan, shounen, tragedy, zetsuen