AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2007-07-12, 16:47   Link #421
Kensuke

Should we simplify spelling?

Simplified spelling glossary

Well, I'm not native English speaker, but I hope that they are not even considering that. It makes English look like written by 7 year old, or lazy internet forum member.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-12, 17:39   Link #422
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
Should we simplify spelling?

Simplified spelling glossary

Well, I'm not native English speaker, but I hope that they are not even considering that. It makes English look like written by 7 year old, or lazy internet forum member.
I'm a horrible speller, but it hasnt hurt me that much. This idea is simply idiotic. If someone's having trouble spelling they should work on it rather than try to change the whole language to suit them. Plus, does this really make things any easier? I don't see how 'have' is any harder to figure out how to pronounce than 'hav'.

Besides, as was pointed out, unless we go back and "translate" books, anyone who learned the new system will have trouble with anything written in the old system. Great kids might learn to read a bit easier. Too bad there won't be anything for them to actually read unless they learn the traditional spelling system.
Old 2007-07-12, 18:01   Link #423
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

That simplified spelling glossary is horrible. I mean:

You = u

Only = onely

While they're at it, why don't they just make everything into l33t speak.

r u going 2 teh m411 2day!?
Old 2007-07-16, 20:03   Link #424
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I didn't see this one posted despite it being a few days old now, so:

http://www.thelocal.se/7869/20070712/

Quote:
Sigbritt, 75, has world's fastest broadband

Published: 12th July 2007 11:07 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/7869/

A 75 year old woman from Karlstad in central Sweden has been thrust into the IT history books - with the world's fastest internet connection.

Sigbritt Löthberg's home has been supplied with a blistering 40 Gigabits per second connection, many thousands of times faster than the average residential link and the first time ever that a home user has experienced such a high speed.

But Sigbritt, who had never had a computer until now, is no ordinary 75 year old. She is the mother of Swedish internet legend Peter Löthberg who, along with Karlstad Stadsnät, the local council's network arm, has arranged the connection.

"This is more than just a demonstration," said network boss Hafsteinn Jonsson.

"As a network owner we're trying to persuade internet operators to invest in faster connections. And Peter Löthberg wanted to show how you can build a low price, high capacity line over long distances," he told The Local.

Sigbritt will now be able to enjoy 1,500 high definition HDTV channels simultaneously. Or, if there is nothing worth watching there, she will be able to download a full high definition DVD in just two seconds.

The secret behind Sigbritt's ultra-fast connection is a new modulation technique which allows data to be transferred directly between two routers up to 2,000 kilometres apart, with no intermediary transponders.

According to Karlstad Stadsnät the distance is, in theory, unlimited - there is no data loss as long as the fibre is in place.

"I want to show that there are other methods than the old fashioned ways such as copper wires and radio, which lack the possibilities that fibre has," said Peter Löthberg, who now works at Cisco.

Cisco contributed to the project but the point, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, is that fibre technology makes such high speed connections technically and commercially viable.

"The most difficult part of the whole project was installing Windows on Sigbritt's PC," said Jonsson.
Pretty cool stuff. ^^ The technology would be very useful in some large countries where distances are problematic.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 00:44   Link #425
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Silly news from South Africa.

http://www.sabcnews.com/south_africa...152626,00.html

Quote:
July 16, 2007, 10:00

A 27-year-old beauty queen arrested for allegedly raping a 33-year-old mental patient is expected to appear in the Hammarsdale Magistrate's Court in the KwaZulu-Natal midlands.

Muzi Mngomezulu, a police spokesperson, says the model allegedly attacked the man who was returning from a shop and pushed him into nearby bushes before raping him.

Mngomezulu says police believe the suspect is part of a gang of ladies arrested last month after they allegedly raped several local soccer players who were returning from training.

"This lady, who was a beauty queen of Hammarsdale, was arrested on Friday for the case of indecent assault with a mental patient. She is appearing today at Hammarsdale court for indecent assault. The police are continuing with the investigation to try and link her with other ladies who have been doing indecent assault with the guys and another male people in the Hammarsdale area," said Mngomezulu.

Ok, so let me get this straight.
A beautiful woman who won the Queen of beauty pageant yanked a man into bushes and forced herself on him?
And this isn't an isolated incident, but a reoccuring problem in KwaZulu-Natal?

Ok, where the hell did I put my passport....
Old 2007-07-18, 06:39   Link #426
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

This was in a Swedish newspaper a few years ago. It takes place in Halmstad on the Swedish west coast.

A man walks in to a bank, and slides a piece of paper to the woman working there.
"This is a robbery, don´t shout and transfer ** Swedish crowns to this account"
** I don´t know the sum.

Okay, now the guy thinks he´s real smart. He´s eliminated the risk with handling cash. But there´s just one problem, the account is his own personal account so when he gets back home the police is there waiting for him.

Needless to say the bank got it´s money back.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 11:42   Link #427
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The Japanese army has been watching too much anime. ^^''
Take a look at their new toy >_>

Spoiler:

P/S -- I'm just kidding you know.
Old 2007-07-27, 22:05   Link #428
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

... And this is why, folks, FOX is the dumbest news station in the entire world.

Seriously, they need to realize broadcast news is not the same thing as a Simpsons episode.
Old 2007-07-28, 04:02   Link #429
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
... And this is why, folks, FOX is the dumbest news station in the entire world.

Seriously, they need to realize broadcast news is not the same thing as a Simpsons episode.
Hilarious, let me summarize...

Actually I don't know where to begin... I can't believe they send this overly flippant and badly investigated sorry effort as news They mixed up hackers, e-Stalkers, pranksters, trolls and so on... and somehow managed to stuff them all in that (maybe) imaginary "hacker" group labeled anonymous. And then they try to somehow link this group to internet expressions like "lulz".

The splashing of "Destroy, Die, Attack" across this media product gave me the most disturbing wtf effect though. (Do they try to put into the viewers mind that every hacker is a terrorist... or anyone who uses lulz... or maybe an anonymous user of the internet...). They are so bad in explaining stuff that the uninformed viewer must get the wrong idea when watching this.
Old 2007-07-28, 09:35   Link #430
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It's the american news what do you expect? ~

As for using "anonymous" to enter site x, y, z that's really standard stuff. I've see this a lot.
On some sites you need to type something like SiteName Guest to keep anonymous per say~
It's just a standard general use username to use if you don't want to register.

BTW what was the point of flashing 3 or so images of car bombs and then saying it was a hoax?

The Harry Potter thing was really funny though.
Isn't just the word kill associated with the murderer already a spoiler. Way' teh'a go Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
Quote For Truth
Old 2007-07-28, 10:06   Link #431
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
God, I was just lead to that video from somewhere else (I was going to post it here, too). I can't believe how much it cracked me. It HAS to be a joke. It's not possible... Damn. And I thought our local news about PCs and the Internet were misinforming enough...

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 18:22   Link #432
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Which is why Matt Groening couldn't satirize the Fox News Crawl. ...As the average Fox News viewer would likely mistake it for real news.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 00:13   Link #433
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
God, I was just lead to that video from somewhere else (I was going to post it here, too). I can't believe how much it cracked me. It HAS to be a joke. It's not possible... Damn. And I thought our local news about PCs and the Internet were misinforming enough...
I was thinking it was a joke too, but then I checked their web site. http://media.myfoxla.com/franchises/fox11investigates/ That story is in fact on there. It is a local channel, not the cable channel fox news, but still...

Of course I didn't bother to watch the video they have there, so it might have been editted for youtube to make it look dumber, but I doubt it.

edit: Watched it and yup it's the same report. Also put in a more direct link.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2007-07-29 at 00:34.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 00:19   Link #434
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Of course I didn't bother to watch the video they have there, so it might have been editted for youtube to make it look dumber, but I doubt it.
The Youtube version didn't appear edited. It's a real story though...
Old 2007-07-29, 00:46   Link #435
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Ha. Lolz.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 12:04   Link #436
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I'm an internet hate machine and a hacker on steroids. Fear me, for I know your phone number for you were dumb enough to post it on the internet.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 21:22   Link #437
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb View Post
I'm an internet hate machine and a hacker on steroids. Fear me, for I know your phone number for you were dumb enough to post it on the internet.
Wat exactly do you mean by this Razer?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 22:23   Link #438
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Wat exactly do you mean by this Razer?
It's called sarcasm He means that the people who're in the wrong are the ones stupid enough to post their personal information on the internets.
Old 2007-07-29, 22:37   Link #439
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
It's the american news what do you expect? ~
Just to be on the safe side, it is the Fox News, which is miles apart from the other news channel (by being the channel that solely aims to make you dumber), regardless of how low the others can get (i.e., Nancy Grace, and her "let's strangle him till he is on the verge of death and if he miraculously succeeds to survive, only then, prosecute him" attitude).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-29, 22:40   Link #440
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L
Ha. LULZ.
Fixed that for ya

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor