Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-08-20, 20:10   Link #1
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Viz planning to test the waters with downloadable manga...

Quote:
Hello Manga Fans!

Please take a moment to participate in our manga survey. It will take just a minute!

We are always on the lookout for new product ideas to keep you excited about manga and anime, and your opinion counts!

Thanks for participating!

http://www.viz.com/participate/
Hmmm... Lots of interesting questions.
Old 2007-08-20, 20:27   Link #2
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

I'm just gonna call it right now.

People are not going to pay for downloadable manga when one can get it for free.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 20:41   Link #3
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

I dunno, if the prices are quite reasonable, and they don't use some shitty propitiatory format that requires their own reader, I may consider it. I strongly dislike most scanlations because they're very inconsistent (at least the ones I've looked at so far, which granted, isn't a lot.) with varying fonts, page sizes and very dubious translation quality over the course of a series. Where as something official should have good consistency and quality.

And I can almost guarantee it'll be cheaper than importing it the books. >.<
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 21:07   Link #4
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

I still think it's better reading it from book...

Also, drama... Yakitate Japan?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 21:34   Link #5
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I voted no

and its not about, "if i can steal pirated material for free"

its about I sit down on a couch or in bed when reading, I don't want to do it staring at a computer screen

I'm on the computer enough as it is.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 01:19   Link #6
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
I'm on the side of actually owning the volumes of manga, though I do like the options on the survey for downloading manga if it were older series or hard to find series. I'd still rather have the book in my hands - my anime can be watched from the computer, but doing that much reading isn't likely to help my already poor eyesight.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 02:40   Link #7
Key
s e m p i t e r n a l

Send a message via AIM to Key Send a message via MSN to Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
I voted no

and its not about, "if i can steal pirated material for free"

its about I sit down on a couch or in bed when reading, I don't want to do it staring at a computer screen

I'm on the computer enough as it is.
Lately, I've been getting really sick from staring at the computer screen so much and the prospect of paying to feel sick doesn't appeal to me.

One reason I've been buying so many manga lately to read on my bed or on my couch. Starring at scans for so long make me feel like puking. >__>;
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 02:43   Link #8
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

>>Viz planning to test the waters with downloadable manga...

Haha, this is a joke, right?

Unless VIZ Media can reduce the cost of downloading manga to some negligible price like a dollar AND kill off all the scanslator groups/sites, this idea is utter lunacy. VIZ isn't big enough like the RIAA to take down all of the scanslators, it's bad enough they have trouble with the fansubbers who are easier to target.

Even then, downloadable manga will still be released slower than more dedicated groups and there's no advantage to the VIZ editions than to the scanslators (heck, there's even a disincentive to read the VIZ ones since their work is so shoddy) - the best groups out right now are darn good at editing out sound effects, so even that advantage is lost to them (not like it mattered anyway). The only feature going for the company is that their manga is tangible and can be owned, while stuff on a computer "can't".

Dumb idea is duuuuumb.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 03:42   Link #9
Sun Shine
Destroyer of the Good

Awful idea, its much better reading manga from a book than on the pc. The only reason people read manga on there comp is because they are doing it illegally and choosing not to buy the manga. Its a stupid method that is if anything encouraging the wrong thing.
Sun Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 19:19   Link #10
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
I dunno, if the prices are quite reasonable, and they don't use some shitty propitiatory format that requires their own reader, I may consider it. I strongly dislike most scanlations because they're very inconsistent (at least the ones I've looked at so far, which granted, isn't a lot.) with varying fonts, page sizes and very dubious translation quality over the course of a series. Where as something official should have good consistency and quality.

And I can almost guarantee it'll be cheaper than importing it the books. >.<
I'm with you on this one. 90% of scanslations just can't compare with the official versions, 9% are about equal and only 1% are superior. To give examples, I caught up with Claymore, Vagabond and Nodame Cantabile recently and tried to continue with scanslations. While none of the scans were appalling, there was a sharp drop in the quality of editing, the readability, the flow and choice of words. Everything and anything that matters in manga. I don't know if Viz could ever pull it off and remain profitable, but I for one would choose official translations over scanslations any day of the week.
Old 2007-08-21, 19:32   Link #11
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Manga costing more 7 dollar that should not even be a option. Manga and Manwha in Korea cost about 4~5 dollar.
Spoiler for price for World Embryo:

World Embryo only cost 3800 won which isn't even five dollars. And if I would buy a manga I would not want to download it, there is huge difference in feeling in owning a book and looking at in a computer.
Old 2007-08-21, 20:03   Link #12
Kamui4356
Aria Company

No way I'm going to pay for manga to download. Hell, I don't even like downloading free manga from scanlators. I don't want to stare at a screen and hit next, I want the book in my hand and turn the page. Video over the internet is one thing, but if I had a choice between a book and a downloaded format, the book wins every time.
Old 2007-08-22, 01:43   Link #13
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
I'm just gonna call it right now.

People are not going to pay for downloadable manga when one can get it for free.
Agreed. I rather have the paper copy anyway.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 16:05   Link #14
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Having tried to read pages onscreen, unless I own a big*** screen it reads like crap

and I'm not gonna spend €€€ on a screen when a paperback reads more comfortable
and for only a few €
Old 2007-08-24, 16:33   Link #15
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Having tried to read pages onscreen, unless I own a big*** screen it reads like crap

and I'm not gonna spend €€€ on a screen when a paperback reads more comfortable
and for only a few €
Agreed there nightbat . I rather take the change of my house burning down then my HD breaking down.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote