AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-03-05, 05:39   Link #1
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Tokyo Godfathers

So I stumbled across a description of this movie while I was checking out a theatre that plays the "non mainstream movies" and was wondering why I haven't heard anything about it on this forum. It looks like a pretty cool movie but not one whisper of it on this forum. Come on someone give me the lowdown on this movie, is it worth seeing? Couldn't find anything about it on animenfo so I'm turning to you guys.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 05:55   Link #2
ShinDragon

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id...f=info&intl=us
Here's some info from Yahoo movies.

It's director by "Satoshi Kon".
He also directed the anime movie "Millennium Actress", "Perfect Blue" and the current on air TV anime "Paranoia Agent".
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 06:55   Link #3
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

I watched it here in Japan a while back and thought it was excellent. It's quite a bit more comedy than I've ever seen out of Kon as well, and I thought he pulled it off beautifully. The main story is almost cliche (Ever seen a movie about an abandoned baby? If so, chances are some unlikely caretakers took care of it, right?), but the underlying stories of the three main characters are a bit more deep, and I think that's what Kon was really going for here. It's a very good watch and I highly reccomend it.
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 12:23   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Sony Motion Pictures has owned the North American rights since
day one. Most fansubbers don't know or care about it that much
since they can't touch it.

On a side note, I have a beef with Sony about this movie...
There was supposed to be a showing in the city I live in. However,
a week before it was schedualled to show, they dropped it and
decided not to show it here.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 18:35   Link #5
Go-lytely

They are planning to show it in my city during the last week of April. Interestingly enough, the DVD comes out that same week which makes no sense. I'm eagerly waiting to buy it.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 20:36   Link #6
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

I haven't talked about it, because I haven't seen it yet. Dunno if it'll make it to local theaters, but since I am a huge Satoshi Kon fan, I do plan to buy it when it comes out on DVD.
Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 01:39   Link #7
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I saw it when I was in LA about a month ago. It was total luck that I happened to be staying in a hotel a block from the theater it was playin in.

I liked it quite a bit. Actually, since I hadn't seen any of his other films (Millenium Actress etc..) I was a little offput by the kind of ugly character design, but I quickly learned to like it a lot. It's a very uplifting film, with a lot of coincindences and turns, and bums. There's a hilarious transvestite, a REALLY angsty teenager, and an older man, all homeless, who form this makeshift family. On Christmas eve, they find a baby that was abandoned in the trash, and the rest of the film is basically devoted to them trying to find the baby's mother to return it.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 18:24   Link #8
Za Paper

Just got my dvd in the mail today. It was good, definitely had its funny moments, but imo not as good as his other works. I would still recommend it for everyone to see just because Satoshi Kon has a unique style that you dont see in anime everyday. I also have to give the guy props for trying to do something different.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 18:16   Link #9
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
I haven't talked about it, because I haven't seen it yet. Dunno if it'll make it to local theaters, but since I am a huge Satoshi Kon fan, I do plan to buy it when it comes out on DVD.
i have just finished watching it i also have to say i am a fan of his work perfect blue was really good, the story for that movie was really good i was just feeling a bit down and it really cheered me up.
i like all the little twists and how all the characters just seem to cross storylines all the way through it.
i had to import this a while back because i could find it on dvd

EDIT: tell a lie i have just seen where it is on western

Last edited by Carpe Jugulum; 2004-06-04 at 18:29.
Carpe Jugulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 23:09   Link #10
kujoe
from head to heel

I have this dvd for a long time now, and I definitely think it was worth the purchase. Though I'm quite new to his Satoshi Kon's works, I love all of the ones I've watched so far--including Paranoia Agent. They're all different in terms of approach and style, yet you can also see that they're all somehow similar. Tokyo Godfathers is touching, ironic and anti-poetic at times and I like it for what it simply is. And The voice acting is top notch too.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 10:19   Link #11
Killerattacks

I think it was a nice movie to watch but not that great. Like his previous films...
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 12:53   Link #12
Teioh

This is an AWESOME movie, and i'm looking for the ending theme (when the palaces dance), can you help me please?
Teioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 15:40   Link #13
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I saw this a while back, I already forgot the name of the characters, but it's a good movie, funny and heart warming. There were memorable moment like the Godfather that got stucked under the car. ^_^;;
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote