4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-25, 09:17   Link #381
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Here I will say arguing for realism in Gundam, even relative realism within context, is still a pretty stupid thing to do.

Why? Because down the road, that realism within context will be blown apart because of some cool executions on behalf of the ace pilots.

So why bother?

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 09:26   Link #382
kiramuro

Arg! Double Post.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 09:28   Link #383
kiramuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Realism is relative. I can say Gundam 00 is more realistic than stick-figure animation, and I would be absolutely right.
If all else being equal only then you are correct. However if the stick-figure gundam adheres to accurate mechanics despite being only stick figures then it's hard to say which one is more realistic. One is more realistic looking while the other is more realistic in operation.

Quote:
But what you are saying is that Realism is somehow a fixed-point of reference, and that thus I can't say 00 is more realistic than stick figures because you think it still isn't realistic enough.
To judge the realism of X compared to that of Y you'll need an "inertial" frame of reference. Real world physics, real world politics, real world sociology, real world human psychology, etc should be picked as that frame of reference because well all our concepts of realism is based on the real world. Everyone is subconciously making comparison to the real world when they deem something in gundam as realistic. However what I usually object to is the selective manner in which that thought process is applied. It usually creates a false gap on the realism scale between X and Y in gundam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elehayym View Post
I haven't really seen many fanboys boasting about realism in these threads till now though. It's been mainly people defending the series from other people that keep pointing the whole time how unrealistic this and that is. Not talking specifically about anyone, but I see many more bashers than fanboys in this thread, lol.

That said, I agree about fanboys being annoying, and that's exacty my point - I'm annoyed by mindless fanboyism as much as I'm annoyed by excessive bashing. Again this series till now is far from being perfect but gawd, posts in this thread makes it look like the worst and stupidest anime in the past few years or so
Well this whole debate did start with Anh_minh's response to a guy who boasted the realism in gundam 00.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 09:46   Link #384
Elehayym

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramuro View Post
Well this whole debate did start with Anh_minh's response to a guy who boasted the realism in gundam 00.
This particular debate started because of one person that posted his first post in this thread, at some point around page 15 or after, saying that he thought it looked more realistic than Seed. Wasn't even saying it was realistic on a global scale.

Before that though, if you look at the whole thread there's plenty of posts criticizing every possible small detail of the episode; on the other side I don't really see that much fanboyism around.
Elehayym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 09:57   Link #385
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You know damn well that when the fanboys say Gundam is realistic, they don't mean "relatively to stick figures".
And you remember damn well that when this argument started, it was from a comment that claimed 00 is relatively realistic to SEED.

Q.E.D.
Old 2007-10-25, 10:52   Link #386
Tak

SEED started out fairly relatively realistic too. Until Freedom came about, and everything that still held just a fragment of relative realism within context got blown to bits.

Now, we are only on episode 3, and already we are commenting on how this whole show is going to be oh so realistic. Give me a break, man! Wait until Setsuna gets SUPER EXIA in episode 20+ and then we can testify whether or not realism in 00 can hold up to some of our expectations.

Besides, the Gundam pilots in 00 sure have an easier time than Kira when he first started.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2007-10-25 at 11:09.
Old 2007-10-25, 10:54   Link #387
CrisisDarkerXIV

Eh, Graham has a nice-ass MS and some set of skills, that's why he didn't get owned in like 10 seconds.
Gundam Virtue owns.
CrisisDarkerXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:19   Link #388
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Besides, the Gundam pilots in 00 sure have an easier time than Kira when he first started.

- Tak
A person who only control the Gundam for few times, and has absolutely no experience in battle, can own an ace, that's the problem there <_<.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:30   Link #389
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
The Star Wars fan in me screamed "RIPOFF!!"
Haven't you noticed all along that beam sabers are basically lightsabers? Heck, Tomino even said outright that Star Wars partially influenced Mobile Suit Gundam to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elehayym
And I DO believe that it's the same for most people, in fact, forgive me for saying it again, I rarely read this kind of criticism when it comes to other anime
Really? Perhaps it's because the nature of Gundam shows sort of invites this kind of criticism. I'm actually much less critical of how unrealistic the combat is in Gundam shows than some other shows - Zipang and Legend of Galactic Heroes spring immediately to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elehayym
Before that though, if you look at the whole thread there's plenty of posts criticizing every possible small detail of the episode; on the other side I don't really see that much fanboyism around.
Welcome to the Gundam forum! You'll find far more nitpicking here than you'll see in just about any other part of Animesuki! Seriously though, Gundam shows have been more thoroughly analyzed than anything else since (at least) Seed started. Some people will treat nitpicks as items of import in and of themselves, while others will bring them in to counter certain points. Admittedly, it'd be nice if we had a poster (or two) who just goes around saying "but that really isn't important". At least we're not going on about how certain characters' theme music isn't heroic enough, or something like that (yet) .
Old 2007-10-25, 11:37   Link #390
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
A person who only control the Gundam for few times, and has absolutely no experience in battle, can own an ace, that's the problem there <_<.
Except we are told that Kira was a super coordinator.

Then again, during Kira's initial struggle against other coordinator pilots, it was actually uncle Mu (a super ace in his own right) who bailed his ass out. Moreover, we have no evidence to suggest that Yzak & co. had prior combat experience except they graduated top of their classes.

There is your excuse. It may not a very good one, but its a valid one

- Tak (Besides, Rusty and Miguel? Aces? No way!)
Old 2007-10-25, 11:42   Link #391
hipeach

I don't understand why people try to analyze from scientific point of view on the realism of Gundam shows. It's common knowledge that Gundams are named as "real robot shows" which is different from "super robot shows", so obviously there is some point in distinguishing between the so-called "relative realism" between mecha shows, or do we want to go to Japan and scream at all those kids until they all accept that "real robot shows" are not more... real than "super robot shows"... or we scream them all to death?

And people should remember Gundam shows are aimed at kids, not scientists with PhDs, and for kids, obviously some melee fights are more realistic than beam spammings, since when kids fight, they usually do melee, not spam range attacks

I guess the "realism" in mecha shows are meant to describe how "realistic" the scenes look, not how realistic they are under scientific analysis. That's why the common people think Bernie fighting Chris one on one with a heat axe and some balloons look more realistic than Kira owning hundreds of enemies with beam spamming.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:45   Link #392
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It perplexes me a little that within realism context, people use FREEDOM, etc (( which came like... halfway through SEED )) and not Strike, when basing on RELATIVE realism. It's only episode 3, and let's face it, the suits will either get upgraded or be replaced with a better one. The question is of course... how much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Except we are told that Kira was a super coordinator.

Then again, during Kira's initial struggle against other coordinator pilots, it was actually uncle Mu (a super ace in his own right) who bailed his ass out. Moreover, we have no evidence to suggest that Yzak & co. had prior combat experience except they graduated top of their classes.

There is your excuse. It may not a very good one, but its a valid one

- Tak (Besides, Rusty and Miguel? Aces? No way!)
Miguel was an ace, but his weapons did jack against PS. Besides, with Kira reprogramming Strike, he pretty much stripped the entire Strike anew to a point where he probably knows every single electronics aspect of Strike, technically.

It's not like these Gundam pilots (( or at least Hallelujah )) are super-veterans either. Due to the need to keep Gundams a secret, I bet most of their time were spent on simulations anyway.

The 2nd time, Kira had already felt the comfort of actually having fought once and it's not like he fought 'well' against on par suits. On a relative aspect, personally, by episode 3, SEED felt just as if not more realistic than 00 at episode 3, if only simply because GN Particles didn't exist in Cosmic-verse.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:54   Link #393
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The 2nd time, Kira had already felt the comfort of actually having fought once and it's not like he fought 'well' against on par suits. On a relative aspect, personally, by episode 3, SEED felt just as if not more realistic than 00 at episode 3, if only simply because GN Particles didn't exist in Cosmic-verse.
IMHO the Gundams in Double O is definitely much more super roboty than those in SEED, or pretty much all previous Gundams except maybe Wing and Turn A, despite the fights may look more realistic (well, Turn A's fights also look quite realistic despite the Turn A being pratically a super robot). It's mainly because of those godly GN particles I guess, which makes the Gundams pretty invincible against everything else, like Getter Beam, Super Alloy Z, Tekkaman, whatnot. In UC they had the Minovsky particles, but at least pretty much everyone had them.
Old 2007-10-25, 11:58   Link #394
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
SEED started out fairly relatively realistic too. Until Freedom came about, and everything that still held just a fragment of relative realism within context got blown to bits.

Now, we are only on episode 3, and already we are commenting on how this whole show is going to be oh so realistic. Give me a break, man! Wait until Setsuna gets SUPER EXIA in episode 20+ and then we can testify whether or not realism in 00 can hold up to some of our expectations.

- Tak
I'm not sure if you could say that Kira and Co. had a harder time. The writers made their situation a bit more dire by placing Jesus and his crew on the defensive for most of the show. But, then again the audience had an inkling as to Kira's inherent combat genius almost from episode 1. By what he was able to achieve, the audience was clued in to assume (because of relative realism) that Kira could hold his own against Athrun and well-trained Coordinators. And he and his friends held up really well.

The situation is reversed in 00. The Gundammeisters and Celestial Being are on the offensive, meaning they get to (temporarily) dictate the terms of war until the Big Three come up with some kind of response. The real question is will the Big Three come up with effective countermeasures? For the sake of a good story, I doubt they are going to let CB run loose, and my hunch is that CB will eventually find themselves in deep trouble.

Furthermore, we have almost *nothing* on the backgrounds of the Gundammeisters. We only know that Setsuna was a child soldier and he may have been inspired to join Celestial Being after being saved by a Gundam. We don't really know his true motivations, but I'll bet that to be good enough to pilot Exia, it's more than talent alone.

Global problems, tensions that requires a need for resolution and troubled pasts--all the elements of a good epic, provided there's plenty of time to let the story unfold!
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 11:59   Link #395
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It perplexes me a little that within realism context, people use FREEDOM, etc (( which came like... halfway through SEED )) and not Strike, when basing on RELATIVE realism. It's only episode 3, and let's face it, the suits will either get upgraded or be replaced with a better one. The question is of course... how much better.
well, at least I didn't compare Freedom with the Gundams in Double O, I just compared Kira's beam spamming with Bernie's heat axe and balloons, which came at like... the end of 0080

Anyway I'm definitely not going to say Double O being more realistic than SEED, since IMHO Double O starts off practically a super robot show anyway. But then I'd say Double O's fights so far (and most of Turn A's fights) do look more realistic than Kira's beam spamming, when we compare the fights themselves, in terms of "relative realism". My point is just that, using melee weapons does not automatically mean it's not more realistic than beam spamming, when we talk in terms of how they look in mecha shows, not scientific analysis
Old 2007-10-25, 12:00   Link #396
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipeach
I guess the "realism" in mecha shows are meant to describe how "realistic" the scenes look, not how realistic they are under scientific analysis. That's why the common people think Bernie fighting Chris one on one with a heat axe and some balloons look more realistic than Kira owning hundreds of enemies with beam spamming.
In that case, the proper way to phrase it would be to say that certain scenes feel more "intuitive" or "natural". Since these don't necessarily have anything to do with what's realistic, using the word "realism" in this sense is completely incorrect.
Old 2007-10-25, 12:06   Link #397
Blaat

Do you guys have this discussion every Gundam 00 episode thread or just this one?
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 12:10   Link #398
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Meh. Beam spamming's always kind of made sense to me. When life hands you a target rich environment and a truckload of guns, use them.

And guys, OK, maybe I do have a bit of a knee jerk reaction when I hear "Gundam" and "realistic" in the same sentence. Especially if the sentence is "Gundam <insert suffix here> is so much more realistic than <insert series, which may or may not be a Gundam, here>".

But if so, I know where I acquired that habit... Here, in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Do you guys have this discussion every Gundam 00 episode thread or just this one?
Judging from past experience, I'd say we're going to have this discussion in every episode thread. Also, in other threads. Like the one we'll no doubt have about the CB plans, for example. And possibly in the ones we'll have about characters. And maybe even in the pairing thread, if we ever get one.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 12:20   Link #399
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

@the silly realism debate that's been taking up two consecutive episode threads in a row

Ok, the horse is dead. As a matter of fact, it was dead before this discussion started. Please stop beating on it.
Old 2007-10-25, 12:25   Link #400
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
In that case, the proper way to phrase it would be to say that certain scenes feel more "intuitive" or "natural". Since these don't necessarily have anything to do with what's realistic, using the word "realism" in this sense is completely incorrect.
well, the Japanese kids are obviously not linguistic expert. maybe they think it's more "intuitive" to call Gundam as "real robot shows", instead of "intuitive robot shows"?

Again, we should be talking about "realism" in mecha shows in the common kids terms, not scientific or linguistic analysis.