AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2007-12-26, 01:27   Link #621
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Let's just hope it won't!

Have a merry christmas all! Be safe!

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 02:12   Link #622
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I don't believe it will end on volume 10. It would need to be fairly long to accomplish that. It should at least have 11 volumes, I think it shall reach 12 before going out though.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 03:06   Link #623
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't believe it will end on volume 10. It would need to be fairly long to accomplish that. It should at least have 11 volumes, I think it shall reach 12 before going out though.
I doubt it'll be that short.

Shakugan no Shana has lasted 18 volumes so far...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 04:34   Link #624
Eak
One angry cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post

Even the artwork in the light novel is better, mostly because theres not much of it.
Completely agree with you on that one.. one of the best I have seen.
Eak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 05:50   Link #625
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31059

I am delighted to announce to all Haruhi-ists, who have been begging me to do this for months, that the timeline for the Suzumiya Haruhi series has been updated to include events up to volume 9. Though I did promise that it'll be done by Christmas, I'm sure Boxing Day is more or less a good compromise.

If you still don't get the diverging storylines in volume 9, hopefully this timeline would clear things up.

And now we wait for the long overdue volume 10 to solve some of the questions posed.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 05:52   Link #626
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Hahaha! Alot of people have complained about 'where'd Volume 10 go?' To be honest, I am dying right now in anticipation for that volume.

Thanks Kinny Riddle for that update.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 18:11   Link #627
f4bidnish40

Send a message via AIM to f4bidnish40 Send a message via Yahoo to f4bidnish40
I know! Vol. 10!!!

But here's an extremely random thought....

Spoiler for Disappearance:
f4bidnish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 00:50   Link #628
Sol Falling

huh...the idea of there being even the slightest basis for a comparison between Kyon and Makoto is distressing in my mind. Although what you have suggested is superficially plausible, I'd rather keep two series of such disparate quality separate.

(not that I didn't enjoy my (fragmented) viewing of School Days...simply that what defined School Days for me was my loathing for Makoto and what defines Haruhi for me is my empathy with the two main characters...)
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 10:27   Link #629
f4bidnish40

Send a message via AIM to f4bidnish40 Send a message via Yahoo to f4bidnish40
...sorry.... *crosses fingers that no one shoots me* that was done out of pure randomness.........
f4bidnish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 11:33   Link #630
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

We must remember Asakura's reasons for trying to kill Kyon isn't personal; she simply wanted to invoke a reaction from Haruhi, and she being as clear thinking (in some ways) as Yuki knew that among all of the SOS-Dan, Haruhi cared the most for kyon, which is later proved by the finale, only Kyon was chosen (We have no idea whether or not she could only choose one person, the possibility of her taking more than one person shouldn't be excluded from such arguments!). Asakura might have with the right situations fall in love with Kyon (MANY doujins and fanfics depict this, its not a new idea) but I doubt that it would be near anything as "pure"(I use this term lightly) as Yuki's affections, it would most likely to see what would the competition do to Haruhi!

Also Haruhi > School Days, simply because Kyon is likeable while Makoto is well, Makoto.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2007-12-28, 21:20   Link #631
Flameneo
Haruhiist and Proud.

Send a message via MSN to Flameneo
Can't find any place to buy the Haruhi Novels... searched the web, bought 2 Original Japanese Editions for 24 dollars..

I'm not looking for the Chinese bootlegs (or just the Chinese Editions). I want the Official Japanese ones... =S
Flameneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 03:22   Link #632
kniteowl

reading 600 + post over 3 to 4 days is a chore :S.... lol... well I actually skimmed... some of it was boring...:S

Anyways I recently finished reading volume 9 of MHS, so I'll add my 2 cents.

So many theories.... I can't remember them all... most of my thoughts on the story are basically ideas that could possibly happen but generally have no evidence to support them.

There is a pattern in the arcs that I'm curious about though, the fact that each Main Arc is focused on a particular character.

Vol 1 = Haruhi
Vol 4 = Yuki
Vol 7 = Mikuru

I'm curious which character is focused on the current arc (Vol 9&10).

Before Volume 9 was released... If i had to follow the Pattern, you'd think the next arc would have been Koizumi orientated since all the characters focused on from the SOS-DAN unless he's been holding out on Kyon about his power to jump between alpha and beta worlds/dimensions (Which I doubt lol)

Now assuming there will be a 6th member of the SOS Dan and the pattern is followed then this arc will be focused on the Mystery Girl (Possible Slider). I personally don't like the number 6... 7 sounds like a better number.... who knows sTsuruya might become an official member in the near future but then that might trouble the Organization.

If the pattern isn't followed the other possible candidates would either be Sasaki or Kuyoh (or is it spelt Kuyou?). Now if this is true this opens up a whole new can of worms on how the story will follow as we will probably learn more about the opposing factions (Kyouko and Fujiwara).

There's also the possibility that Hauhi, Yuki or Mikuru may get a 2nd arc focused on them too.

Too bad I haven't figured out which character this arc is focused on, it looks similar to Volume 4 where they don't reveal who's behind everything until near the end of the arc... in this case half way through volume ten (maybe).

That's my 2 cent on Volume 10.

I'm more interested on the things yet to be explained like

Who is Tsuruya? (NO REALLY? Who is she?)
What is her Purpose?

Currently she seems LIKE someone sent out by one of the factions to observe Haruhi.

Her family has links with the Organization... is she an esper?

Maybe an Alien... (Is is me or are there WAY too many Aliens in the series? So far I've counted 4... well then again I've counted at less 5 Espers lol)... but there's nothing so far suggesting she could be an alien.

Maybe she's someone important to the Time Traveler Faction that the Lil Kid Haruhi Tutors... Is it me or is it a Coincidence that Tsuruya and Asahina are close friends... (well maybe not that close but close enough lol)... I might go as far as that she might be one of the future leaders of the Time Traveler Faction. Hopefully that isn't too far fetched. lol

Another interesting thing is the Metallic Rod Found by Tsuruya... What is it's true purpose? Tsuruya says it could have been possibly left behind by Aliens or Time Travelers.

I exclude Time Traveler being the possible source of the Metallic Rod because they can't travel any further then 4 years into the past from present day in the novel because of Haruhi.

That Leaves Aliens, Has Kyon reported to Nagato about the Metallic Rod yet?
I can't remember... Well I guess we'll find out eventually.

And Finally Koizumi Pledge to Betray the Organization... I reckon it will occur during his own arc, there could be many reasons why he'd do it. I also put my money on the next Main Arc will focus on Koizumi and The Organization but that's just me.

LOL I've Rambled on too much for my 1st post.

Cheers, Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year.
kniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 13:43   Link #633
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
reading 600 + post over 3 to 4 days is a chore :S.... lol... well I actually skimmed... some of it was boring...:S

Anyways I recently finished reading volume 9 of MHS, so I'll add my 2 cents.

So many theories.... I can't remember them all... most of my thoughts on the story are basically ideas that could possibly happen but generally have no evidence to support them.

There is a pattern in the arcs that I'm curious about though, the fact that each Main Arc is focused on a particular character.

Vol 1 = Haruhi
Vol 4 = Yuki
Vol 7 = Mikuru

I'm curious which character is focused on the current arc (Vol 9&10).

Before Volume 9 was released... If i had to follow the Pattern, you'd think the next arc would have been Koizumi orientated since all the characters focused on from the SOS-DAN unless he's been holding out on Kyon about his power to jump between alpha and beta worlds/dimensions (Which I doubt lol)

Now assuming there will be a 6th member of the SOS Dan and the pattern is followed then this arc will be focused on the Mystery Girl (Possible Slider). I personally don't like the number 6... 7 sounds like a better number.... who knows sTsuruya might become an official member in the near future but then that might trouble the Organization.

If the pattern isn't followed the other possible candidates would either be Sasaki or Kuyoh (or is it spelt Kuyou?). Now if this is true this opens up a whole new can of worms on how the story will follow as we will probably learn more about the opposing factions (Kyouko and Fujiwara).

There's also the possibility that Hauhi, Yuki or Mikuru may get a 2nd arc focused on them too.

Too bad I haven't figured out which character this arc is focused on, it looks similar to Volume 4 where they don't reveal who's behind everything until near the end of the arc... in this case half way through volume ten (maybe).

That's my 2 cent on Volume 10.

I'm more interested on the things yet to be explained like

Who is Tsuruya? (NO REALLY? Who is she?)
What is her Purpose?

Currently she seems LIKE someone sent out by one of the factions to observe Haruhi.

Her family has links with the Organization... is she an esper?

Maybe an Alien... (Is is me or are there WAY too many Aliens in the series? So far I've counted 4... well then again I've counted at less 5 Espers lol)... but there's nothing so far suggesting she could be an alien.

Maybe she's someone important to the Time Traveler Faction that the Lil Kid Haruhi Tutors... Is it me or is it a Coincidence that Tsuruya and Asahina are close friends... (well maybe not that close but close enough lol)... I might go as far as that she might be one of the future leaders of the Time Traveler Faction. Hopefully that isn't too far fetched. lol

Another interesting thing is the Metallic Rod Found by Tsuruya... What is it's true purpose? Tsuruya says it could have been possibly left behind by Aliens or Time Travelers.

I exclude Time Traveler being the possible source of the Metallic Rod because they can't travel any further then 4 years into the past from present day in the novel because of Haruhi.

That Leaves Aliens, Has Kyon reported to Nagato about the Metallic Rod yet?
I can't remember... Well I guess we'll find out eventually.

And Finally Koizumi Pledge to Betray the Organization... I reckon it will occur during his own arc, there could be many reasons why he'd do it. I also put my money on the next Main Arc will focus on Koizumi and The Organization but that's just me.

LOL I've Rambled on too much for my 1st post.

Cheers, Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year.
It can't be aliens who left the rod there. Yuki says no other sentient life forms other than humans have the data capacity to create spaceships and things like that, and the data aliens don't deal with physical objects like that.

The time travelers weren't always unable to go beyond "3-4 years ago", that's a recent change, hence why they noticed it.

Therefore, the rod was probably left there by a time traveler.

As for WHO Tsuruya is, well... see, there's this naming convention for characters you may have noticed. Characters with special powers are always given a full name, whereas those that do not have said special powers are usually given only a surname, a nickname, or a title. (This is probably Kyon's way of highlighting the only people Haruhi considers worthwhile.)

This does not mean that Tsuruya isn't important, rather, that she's simply an ordinary human. She is, however, extremely observant, very intelligent, and obviously plot-important in some way.

And the focus of Volumes 9/10... it COULD be Slider-tan, but I'm more inclined to think the focus is on both Haruhi and Sasaki.

Also, I'd love for a Koizumi book, but he's not very popular among the fanbase, it seems...
Old 2007-12-29, 22:43   Link #634
RR642

A Koizumi book would be great, he's such a mysterious character I think, what with him always 'wearing a mask' and all it makes me wonder what the real Koizumi would be like. I wouldn't expect anything too drastically different in attitude or anything, but if the student council president is any indication of how well members of 'The Organization' and their associates can act then I expect we'd see a different side of Koizumi at times when the mask is off.

I've noticed as well he doesn't seem as popular with the fanbase and I think this is down to the overall popularity of the female cast members as well as Kyon being the male lead causing Koizumi to be overshadowed at times as a character amongst fans, which is a shame but understandable I guess, there are so many interesting and great characters we still haven't seen enough of with this series.

Regarding Tsuruya, I agree with the theory that she is by this series standards an ordinary human girl, albeit an important one who seems to know more than your average girl and has connections with the mysterious Organization. I'm not one hundred percent sold on the naming convention theory as being a sure fire indication of a persons normality but I do consider it as it does seem pretty accurate thus far, and would provide further evidence to Tsuraya being a normal person.

I often think that the Organization could be a part of or are linked to the Government. The Organization itself seems well funded with many resources, and it seems a stretch to me to believe that it is mostly financed by wealthy 'investors' who either happened to be esper's themselves or who were approached by esper's at some point. In other words the Organization would be the 'Men-In-Black' of this Haruhi Suzumiya world, except where the MIB were concered with aliens and ufo's and the like the Organization is focused around their "God"

Spoiler for Talk of events of Vol. 9:
RR642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 23:50   Link #635
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR642 View Post
A Koizumi book would be great, he's such a mysterious character I think, what with him always 'wearing a mask' and all it makes me wonder what the real Koizumi would be like. I wouldn't expect anything too drastically different in attitude or anything, but if the student council president is any indication of how well members of 'The Organization' and their associates can act then I expect we'd see a different side of Koizumi at times when the mask is off.

I've noticed as well he doesn't seem as popular with the fanbase and I think this is down to the overall popularity of the female cast members as well as Kyon being the male lead causing Koizumi to be overshadowed at times as a character amongst fans, which is a shame but understandable I guess, there are so many interesting and great characters we still haven't seen enough of with this series.

Regarding Tsuruya, I agree with the theory that she is by this series standards an ordinary human girl, albeit an important one who seems to know more than your average girl and has connections with the mysterious Organization. I'm not one hundred percent sold on the naming convention theory as being a sure fire indication of a persons normality but I do consider it as it does seem pretty accurate thus far, and would provide further evidence to Tsuraya being a normal person.

I often think that the Organization could be a part of or are linked to the Government. The Organization itself seems well funded with many resources, and it seems a stretch to me to believe that it is mostly financed by wealthy 'investors' who either happened to be esper's themselves or who were approached by esper's at some point. In other words the Organization would be the 'Men-In-Black' of this Haruhi Suzumiya world, except where the MIB were concered with aliens and ufo's and the like the Organization is focused around their "God"

Spoiler for Talk of events of Vol. 9:
The Organization is believed to be funded mainly by the Tsuruya family, who appear to have dwelt in that part of Japan for several hundred years, and are EXTREMELY rich. But I agree that it's unlikely that that fortune alone could fund them.

Spoiler for Slider:
Old 2007-12-30, 00:18   Link #636
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Hmm about that girl, she may or may not have any significance, but she might as well be that slider! If you compared the two time lines; the difference between them began the day when she and Sasaki called kyon in the alpha and beta timelines.

But how would she know Kyon's phone number? There can be many possibilities; she might be an alien, but she seems too lively for that right? She might have been another esper, but then Koizumi would have said something. Being a time traveler or slider have the greatest chance among the four, slider more so simply because we need one in the story. For now she's just a freshman who knows Kyon's phone number!

This sounds like the beginning of a cliche dating sim now doesn't it?

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2007-12-30, 01:45   Link #637
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
Hmm about that girl, she may or may not have any significance, but she might as well be that slider! If you compared the two time lines; the difference between them began the day when she and Sasaki called kyon in the alpha and beta timelines.

But how would she know Kyon's phone number? There can be many possibilities; she might be an alien, but she seems too lively for that right? She might have been another esper, but then Koizumi would have said something. Being a time traveler or slider have the greatest chance among the four, slider more so simply because we need one in the story. For now she's just a freshman who knows Kyon's phone number!

This sounds like the beginning of a cliche dating sim now doesn't it?
There's a theory going around that she's Kyon's sister from an alternate universe where she was born first.
Old 2007-12-30, 01:58   Link #638
kniteowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
There's a theory going around that she's Kyon's sister from an alternate universe where she was born first.
where is it? I'd like to read it... sounds hilarious.

If that's true then Haruhi's powers go beyond just her own universe, makes you wonder why she traveled to our universe, what was wrong with her Haruhi/God?
kniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 02:02   Link #639
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

It has already been said that the Tsuruya family maintains tie with the Agency, albeit Tsuruya is keeping a distance with full association with Koizumi. It remains to be seen how this plays out.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 06:22   Link #640
westbluef
The Jesting Fool

Another question for slider-tan is "if she will remain?"
Spoiler for as qouted from baka-tsuki:

Which leads me to think if slider-tan (if it is really a slider) will stay for a vol. 11 if we ever get one.
Oh, and I don't trust the Kyon's sister theory on her, simply because she would not say that line.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga