AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 79 54.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 27.40%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 11.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.68%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-06, 10:04   Link #181
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira-sama View Post
just finish watching episode 5
Spoiler for episode 5:
Yeah; I'm a SherylXAlto supporter as well. They're cute. Not a relationship that just started cause the guy gives the girl encouragement. I really hope Ranka would stop depending on Alto. I'm not liking it.

As for the EP.

Giant panties. Hippo-cows. And I'm starting to hate shouta boy. Whats w/ his cheeks?
Old 2008-05-06, 10:07   Link #182
Tabris

I swear I'm the only person here who seems to like Luca :3
Old 2008-05-06, 10:09   Link #183
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I agree Ranka needs to become more independent. It's probably a key to getting the upper hand with Alto again. That will probably start in the next episode.

But he did see her with Michael so a misunderstanding needs to get cleared up.

Edit: I like Luca too. He's the most honest male character with his feelings in the series. He is a refreshing sight to see.

Last edited by orion; 2008-05-06 at 10:21.
Old 2008-05-06, 10:11   Link #184
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
so in japan 1,0 of rating is 1.000.000 of people watching ???
No, I'm sure it's more like 500,000 per 1.0 rating or something the last time I heard. So if it's 2.0 in rating, that's close to a million or so.

As for the school 'overreacting', I don't think that's the case at all. Think about it objectively: Ranka basically skimped school to go into a pageant meant for adults. I'm sure an school that respects its curricula and student activity would suspend her. It just seems like a logical thing to do.
Old 2008-05-06, 10:21   Link #185
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
yeah Ranka need to be confident not only depending always to Alto
that's why i like Michell with her because Michell just to the point to her not encourage her like Alto did
Old 2008-05-06, 10:24   Link #186
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
I don't mind him. Though kinda I hope he gets a special eye and starts giving orders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
No, I'm sure it's more like 500,000 per 1.0 rating or something the last time I heard. So if it's 2.0 in rating, that's close to a million or so.

As for the school 'overreacting', I don't think that's the case at all. Think about it objectively: Ranka basically skimped school to go into a pageant meant for adults. I'm sure an school that respects its curricula and student activity would suspend her. It just seems like a logical thing to do.
I don't think it's meant for "adults". Wasn't the winner an old classmate of Nanase? If not, what's their relationship?
Old 2008-05-06, 10:27   Link #187
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I think from the response of Ranka's school uniform, her school is the type that takes such extracurricular activities a bit more seriously. That's probably it. Thinking back, they haven't properly explained all of it yet.
Old 2008-05-06, 10:32   Link #188
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Besides, the current mayor's daughter and a top military officer was #8 in the past contest. So something else must be up with the suspension. I bet Leon had something to do with it.
Old 2008-05-06, 10:36   Link #189
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I somehow don't think it's just a matter of favoritism even though Leon does seem shady about it all the time. Maybe the incident with the research vessel is an inconvenient truth for the Frontier crew. It's almost like what they did with the original Macross show, keeping people in the dark for as long as they could. I don't see much of a logic in that action, then again, I can totally see real government agencies doing that if they could.
Old 2008-05-06, 10:47   Link #190
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Edit: I like Luca too. He's the most honest male character with his feelings in the series. He is a refreshing sight to see.
There really hasn't been much to comment on about Luca up until this episode. Him, Nanase, Grace, Kanaria, and the bridge bunnies are all in need of having their characters fleshed out a bit more.

One thing that was revealed about Luca this episode is that he either has a thing for Nanase or Ranka. I really couldn't tell b/c Michael has been teasing Luca about it for a couple of episodes now but nothing really pointed out who Luca might be eyeing. Take for example the scene where Nanase suggests they go look for Ranka. Now, is Luca's excited reaction b/c they're going to look for Ranka or b/c Nanase pulled a Dragonaut move? Then there's also the scene in ep 4 where Michael teases Luca about having another reason to go to the Miss Macross contest. Was it to go see Ranka or sit with Nanase?
Old 2008-05-06, 10:56   Link #191
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
There really hasn't been much to comment on about Luca up until this episode. Him, Nanase, Grace, Kanaria, and the bridge bunnies are all in need of having their characters fleshed out a bit more.

One thing that was revealed about Luca this episode is that he either has a thing for Nanase or Ranka. I really couldn't tell b/c Michael has been teasing Luca about it for a couple of episodes now but nothing really pointed out who Luca might be eyeing. Take for example the scene where Nanase suggests they go look for Ranka. Now, is Luca's excited reaction b/c they're going to look for Ranka or b/c Nanase pulled a Dragonaut move? Then there's also the scene in ep 4 where Michael teases Luca about having another reason to go to the Miss Macross contest. Was it to go see Ranka or sit with Nanase?
Nanase, it's Mikhail that has a thing for Ranka. (Stupid guy wouldn't admit he's lolicon or else his rep is ruined.)
Old 2008-05-06, 11:18   Link #192
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Nanase, it's Mikhail that has a thing for Ranka. (Stupid guy wouldn't admit he's lolicon or else his rep is ruined.)
Yep; him and Altoh both.

Mikhail has a rep for being w/ older women. And the princess has the rep for rejecting every girl in his school. Stupid junkies. >_>.
Old 2008-05-06, 12:01   Link #193
Tabris

Quote:
Besides, the current mayor's daughter and a top military officer was #8 in the past contest. So something else must be up with the suspension. I bet Leon had something to do with it.
I'm sure they said that she was the runner-up in Frontier's 8th Miss Macross contest. And as for the suspension, if Ranka goes to a private all girls school, they have to keep a certain image to keep up and sometimes suspending pupils for inappropriate behaviour, even outside of school is necessary to keep face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Then there's also the scene in ep 4 where Michael teases Luca about having another reason to go to the Miss Macross contest. Was it to go see Ranka or sit with Nanase?
I thought it was to go and sit with Nanase

Last edited by Tabris; 2008-05-06 at 15:28.
Old 2008-05-06, 12:13   Link #194
4Tran

Quote:
That school definitely overreacted. It wasn't like their reputation was damaged by having a talented person in their school.
The Miss Macross pageants are considered prestigious affairs, so it probably boils down to a school that runs by strict no-tolerance rules. Since Ranka's school seems to be an exclusive all-girls school, this doesn't seem to be all that unusual. One thing to note is that the schools on Macross Frontier are probably run similarly to Japanese schools, so that students can be punished for extra-curricular activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
I do too. The way he dodged out of the way to allow Alto and Ranka their private time is alone enough to put him in my good books.

Quote:
Each point is a single percent of the total number of television households. In Japan, there are about 48,000,000 households, so each percent is 480,000 of that number. That gets rounded a bit, so 1.0 = 1,000,000 viewers is a rough fudge figure.

Quote:
The pageant almost certainly took place outside of school hours since Alto's school was off during that time. Moreover, the history of the pageant would suggest that teenagers are perfectly welcome as well.
Old 2008-05-06, 17:27   Link #195
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Send a message via MSN to Maes Hughes
After not being able to find the motivation to keep up to date, I forced myself to re-watch 1-3 and then watch 4-5. Only watching Code Geass weekly was getting boring.

Although it's hard to deny the quality of what's been shown so far, Macross Frontier easily being the best out of this seasons big 3 for me, it's been hard to get excited every week when the focus is all over the place and it's not clear where the series wants to go. Code Geass, on the other hand, had the advantage of having me hooked already thanks to the fantastic 25 episode original series, where as MF is my first Macross experience.

Like Code Geass, Macross Frontier wants to do too many things at once - Mecha, singing and dating. It's worked well enough so far, but I fear it won't work so well when the mecha and singing side of things start mixing together later on. Currently it's all a bit messy, the first 2 episodes being all mecha action and the following 3 focusing on the dating and singing side... I'm hoping all 3 paths merge into one over the course of the next few episodes.

Sheryl is easily my favourite character: Bitchy, flirty, playful and hot. I liked how she and Atlo interacted during EP5, the closet 'vibrator' scene being rather amusing (and her moaning being rather arousing :P). I hope she isn't going to take a leave of absence after EP6 - The show wouldn't be the same without her.

By the way, a few questions...

1: The Zentradi can transform into human sized beings...correct? It confused me that there were some in giant form and not human form during EP5.

2: Is 'Fold' just a posh word for warping in the Macross universe?

3: Since the Macross Frontier is searching for the centre of the universe, I'm assuming no-one knows where the end of the universe is. But, if no-one knows where the end is, how the heck will the Macross Frontier know when it reaches the centre? :|
Old 2008-05-06, 17:44   Link #196
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maes Hughes View Post

Yeah, pretty much. The specifics may be different from other types of hyper-fast space travel(Warping, Hyperspace, Slipspace, etc), but they all accomplish the same thing in the end.

Quote:
3: Since the Macross Frontier is searching for the centre of the universe, I'm assuming no-one knows where the end of the universe is. But, if no-one knows where the end is, how the heck will the Macross Frontier know when it reaches the centre? :|
Its heading for the Galactic Core, not the center of the universe.

Last edited by Spitfire; 2008-05-06 at 19:32.
Old 2008-05-06, 18:12   Link #197
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
1: The Zentradi can transform into human sized beings...correct? It confused me that there were some in giant form and not human form during EP5.
Miclonization or micronization has been around ever since Macross. It is a choice of a Zentradi if they want to micronize or macronize.

Spoiler for SDF Macross:

Spoiler for Macross 7:

Spoiler for Macross Zero:

The Zentradi were programmed not to come into contact with Protoculture or miclone worlds as they would become useless as a dedicated weapon if they were cultured.

The crew and citizens of Macross showed the Zentradi another way of life.

Therefore Culture Shock.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2008-05-06 at 23:34. Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Old 2008-05-06, 21:39   Link #198
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Although it's hard to deny the quality of what's been shown so far, Macross Frontier easily being the best out of this seasons big 3 for me, it's been hard to get excited every week when the focus is all over the place and it's not clear where the series wants to go. Code Geass, on the other hand, had the advantage of having me hooked already thanks to the fantastic 25 episode original series, where as MF is my first Macross experience.

Like Code Geass, Macross Frontier wants to do too many things at once - Mecha, singing and dating. It's worked well enough so far, but I fear it won't work so well when the mecha and singing side of things start mixing together later on. Currently it's all a bit messy, the first 2 episodes being all mecha action and the following 3 focusing on the dating and singing side... I'm hoping all 3 paths merge into one over the course of the next few episodes.
Macross is a space soap opera, is not principally a mecha show, the dating and singing will always take priority, and the mecha and action are secondary. the sings are a important factor, and can resolve war or battles (previos Macross shows)

sorry for my inglish im pretty tired
Old 2008-05-06, 22:38   Link #199
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Cadorna: I'd call it more space opera than space SOAP opera, due to the relative lack of twists and turns that they have in those - Code Geass R2, at the moment, is more a soap opera with mecha than Macross is. What Macross has always been is a drama with mecha, sci-fi elements, and the power of love, song, and the human spirit overcoming all obstacles; be they warlike aliens, supernatural aliens, or crazed AI's.
Old 2008-05-07, 00:13   Link #200
4Tran

Quote:

I think that the problem you've got is that you're expecting Macross Frontier to be about certain conventions, and be more like a typical mecha show. Unfortunately, it's more of a throwback to SDF Macross, and that show predated many of the memes we've come to expect of the genre. And in fact, you've touched on the three elements that are held in common among all Macross shows: transforming fighters, love triangles, and music/singing. Of the three, it's often the mecha that are the least important.

Structurally, the story is told on two more or less unrelated levels - there's the overriding plot which would be the main focus of most shows, and there's the personal story of the characters centered around Alto. The plot of the former hasn't really moved very much at all, since it's five episodes in before the question of what the Vajra are was asked. From a character perspective, every episode is jammed with details and fun tidbits, and I think that that's where Macross Frontier shines. The other major highlight is how well realized Frontier's setting is - in just a few episodes, the show firmly established what the setting is like for the characters, and the amount of work put into how everything fits together has been excellent.

Quote:
Sheryl is easily my favourite character: Bitchy, flirty, playful and hot. I liked how she and Atlo interacted during EP5, the closet 'vibrator' scene being rather amusing (and her moaning being rather arousing :P). I hope she isn't going to take a leave of absence after EP6 - The show wouldn't be the same without her.
Given how character-driven Macross Frontier is, I don't think that there's much danger of that.

Quote:
Correct. In episode 4, you can see the scene in the hanger after the combat, and the three giant-sized Zentradi there show up latter in micro forms at the Nyan-Nyan restaurant. In SDF Macross, the Zentradi had miclonization technology to change from macro to macro forms, but they reserved it for very special purposes. This process seems to take a couple of hours at most.

Quote:
Yes. By folding, spacecraft shift to an alternate universe and can thereby move faster than light, defolding at the end. The cylindrical object on the top of the fighter at the end of episode 5 is a detachable fold engine, and it can be equipped on all smaller craft.

Quote:
It's journeying towards the center of the galaxy, and it's not the first one to have that goal. A previous one had a semi-specific mission, but it's unknown if Macross Frontier has one as well (although contact with the Vajra seems to have been expected). All the Macross fleets have the mission of setting up permanent colonies if and when they discover an appropriate planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Cadorna: I'd call it more space opera than space SOAP opera, due to the relative lack of twists and turns that they have in those - Code Geass R2, at the moment, is more a soap opera with mecha than Macross is. What Macross has always been is a drama with mecha, sci-fi elements, and the power of love, song, and the human spirit overcoming all obstacles; be they warlike aliens, supernatural aliens, or crazed AI's.
This is especially true of SDF Macross; and I think that Macross Frontier is following along in its footsteps.