Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-30, 11:14   Link #61
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
I had a hard time getting over the fact that the blonde haired sporty kid had the same voice actor as Captain Usopp from One Piece (or at least I think he did). I just keep associating that voice with cowardice and general funkiness, so it really doesn't help me to see his character at all.
He's a veteran voice actor, Yamaguchi Kappei.

He plays wide variety of roles like:

- Inuyasha - Inu Yasha
- Ryuichi Sakuma - Gravitation
- Enki/Entaika - Twelve Kindoms
- Usopp - One Piece
- Artemis - Sailor Moon live action
- Ranma male - Ranma 1/2
- Tomonori Iwaki - Rizelmine
- and alot more. ^^

He has that unique voice people recognize. ^^
Old 2004-04-30, 13:43   Link #62
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian
It is lame and pathetic. Mika-sensei's parents aren't exactly thrilled that she's still living at home, especially her mother (though she seems more concerned that Mika is still unmarried rather than living at home, but the two sorta go hand in hand). She makes it quite clear that a 27 year old should not be relying on her parents for everything. Whether this is an uncommon situation in Japan is meaningless; it's not a desirable situation, and that is the point of the "joke."

Yukari-semsei, in the same sense, is an incredibly lame and pathetic character, and is meant to be seen as such. She is always mooching off her students, evading her gambling debts with Nyamo, and flat out lying so she doesn't have to pay when they go out. Again, the high cost of living no doubt plays a part in Yukari's character, but she is hardly meant to be a role model just because she's realistic. Living at home with her parents in Yukari's case is just another sign of her laziness -- rather than work hard for the more "bourgeois" things that Nyamo has, she'd rather sleep all day and drink all night.

I fail to see how you can use the high cost of living to defend the traits of these characters that are obviously meant to be seen as flaws.

I never intended to "defend" the such characters in such a way.

Yes, there are those who leech off their parents. They do not have to pay rent when they live at a parent's place, the food is prepared for by the mother, and all the pay goes into that person's own pleasure. It is shameful that this problem is burgeoning in modern Japan. There is no doubt both Mika-sensei and Yukari-sensei are a mirror of such ills.

What I intened to say was that there are families in Japan who cling to the traditional way of filial piety. Some parents who were brought up in the traditional way would give such reasons of high cost of living to persuade their children to stay at home even when they enter the social work force.

It is a dillemma. On one hand, parents want to make their children leave to have for responsibility and independence. On the other, there is this traditional view where one is expected to look after one's parents as a system of filial piety - one is supposed to "look after" and "repay one's debt" to the parents for raising one as a child.

I myself was persuaded (diligantly) by my parents to stay at their home and commute from there. After a discreet argument of "what if something happens to us," etc. etc..., I had to compromise to live "somewhat closeby" and to come back home "once in a while."

It is difficult to obtain "pure independence" from one's parents as in America. Here, we are bound by filial piety - whether it is the "child who cannot detach themselves from their parents" or "the parents who cannot detach themselves from their children."
Old 2004-05-01, 02:10   Link #63
kero

i just watched it and thought it was funny, and i would watch more of it but, like others have said, they do seem to be going for cheap gags, and every thing lasts like about 3 seconds, and the changeovers interspersed with a picture and profile of a character at every fourth second kinda bugged me, i hope this only happens in episode one as an intro.
there are a few similarities to Azu, the sleepy girl had tomochans hairstyle, mika reminds me of chibi chan, the thing about 'boke 'reminded me of osaka chan, the way they draw the exaggerated O O eyes, it is comedey sketch show set in a high school.... umm okay maybe there are a lot of links....

I guess this is the reason why it will invite comparison, BUT unfortunately it doesn't come up against the high standard that Azu has set in terms of art quality, characters and scenarios (hopefully it will get better ^_^).

Everytime I see or hear about Azu I have the overwheming urge to say how much I love that show, it warms my heart just to think about it, Osaka chan following fluff with her eyes, chibi chan in a penguin suit, osaka putting her face in flour, makes me wish there were more episodes, okay verging on now, back to sensei, i don't think (at the moment) there are any characters in sensei that i could fall in love with in the way that i absolutely adore osaka (incidentally, the artist character in Agent Paranoia looks like a grown up Osaka and even acts a bit dopey like her, anyone else make that association?)
Old 2004-05-01, 05:33   Link #64
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Now that you say that i can see a resemblance! That girl is somehow slow just like Osaka is. Osaka and Yukari-sensei were my favorite in Azumanga.

The first time i saw Mika-sensei, see made me think of Chiyo-chan.
Old 2004-05-01, 05:47   Link #65
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Aren't they adorable?

Now if only I can persuade them to animate Yotsubato! too. ^^
Old 2004-05-05, 13:00   Link #66
Proz
Known only as..

Send a message via Yahoo to Proz
Now that Episode 3 has been subbed, now we can talk about it.

This episode is a mile a minute with the gags. I had to rewatch a few scenes just to catch the gags. I still think Seki, Suetake and Kudo are the best characters in the series.

Spoiler:

If you're not already hooked on the series then you won't enjoy it. I'm hooked.
Old 2004-05-05, 13:11   Link #67
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I like that part where
Spoiler for episode 3:
she's so cunning. ^^
Old 2004-05-05, 20:40   Link #68
Za Paper

I thought the first ep was really funny with the quirky characters, but now they are just exploiting the same jokes over and over and it's not funny anymore. I hope they go one some adventure somewhere instead of just sitting in school all the time.
Old 2004-05-05, 23:37   Link #69
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I never intended to "defend" the such characters in such a way.

Yes, there are those who leech off their parents. They do not have to pay rent when they live at a parent's place, the food is prepared for by the mother, and all the pay goes into that person's own pleasure. It is shameful that this problem is burgeoning in modern Japan. There is no doubt both Mika-sensei and Yukari-sensei are a mirror of such ills.

What I intened to say was that there are families in Japan who cling to the traditional way of filial piety. Some parents who were brought up in the traditional way would give such reasons of high cost of living to persuade their children to stay at home even when they enter the social work force.

It is a dillemma. On one hand, parents want to make their children leave to have for responsibility and independence. On the other, there is this traditional view where one is expected to look after one's parents as a system of filial piety - one is supposed to "look after" and "repay one's debt" to the parents for raising one as a child.

I myself was persuaded (diligantly) by my parents to stay at their home and commute from there. After a discreet argument of "what if something happens to us," etc. etc..., I had to compromise to live "somewhat closeby" and to come back home "once in a while."

It is difficult to obtain "pure independence" from one's parents as in America. Here, we are bound by filial piety - whether it is the "child who cannot detach themselves from their parents" or "the parents who cannot detach themselves from their children."
I've had similar arguments with my mother before, in which I somehow managed to pull out a compromise in my favor. I guess it helps that my mother has been exposed to Western culture a bit, so she understands what kind of problems that living with your parents can cause you. But yeah, most people who aren't familiar with the culture (and even those who are) find it to be utterly pathetic and loser-ish, etc etc. Guess there are just some things that you can't understand.
Old 2004-05-06, 00:12   Link #70
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Paper
I thought the first ep was really funny with the quirky characters, but now they are just exploiting the same jokes over and over and it's not funny anymore. I hope they go one some adventure somewhere instead of just sitting in school all the time.
I agree completely. At first, I really liked Sensei no Ojikan but it's getting old very quickly. Will we EVER see a scene involving Kobayashi that doesn't involve someone making fun of her bust? Perhaps I'm being unfair, though. I just keep expecting her to be like Tomo from Azumanga Daioh...
Old 2004-05-06, 01:40   Link #71
musouka

Amusingly enough, even though I started the thread, I'm about thiiiiiis close to dropping it. If episode 6 isn't any better, I'm not going to follow it any more. It's not so much the characters I find annoying, but it's the one-note humor of the writing. It's like each character has a "joke" and they're not allowed to do anything outside of that one joke. I think you could do some really fun stuff with the characters, but so far that just hasn't been done.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-05-06, 01:52   Link #72
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

Mika: stop spacing out kudo, and start moving your hands!
Kudo: Whoa! I can't do that here.
Mika: I meant the test... Huh? *blushes*

Old 2004-05-06, 09:04   Link #73
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proz
Now that Episode 3 has been subbed, now we can talk about it.
This episode is a mile a minute with the gags. I had to rewatch a few scenes just to catch the gags. I still think Seki, Suetake and Kudo are the best characters in the series.
Ep 3 is the best so far...
I think the character development for girls are far inferior if compared to boys. They waste too much time of that big breast girl (forgot her name) bullying Mika-sensei.
Still, gay and feminine guy stories keep this anime alive and cheerful. More of Seki and Kudo plz
Old 2004-05-06, 09:42   Link #74
Kensuke

Heh, this is the first time I have heard "moe" in anime.

I had to agree, Hao Asakura, I wish that the girls in this series have more personality. Only Kitagawa is really intresting, and Mika-sensei of course.
Old 2004-05-06, 09:50   Link #75
cf18
Mecha Pilot

So far the episodes rely too much on the gay/lez jokes. It gets boring really quick.
Old 2004-05-06, 10:19   Link #76
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I tought the joke was pretty funny, but I do find these jokes are very asian culture oriented, it won't make any sense unless you know the asian culture well, or you been trough it yourself.

Like the ideal weight. It's more like what's considered normal for a girl. It is a really big deal for us.

The manga otaku. When I was in jr high, we do had this boy who draw manga character so well, and we just take turn requesting picture from him. We really worship that boy, because we love manga and he's a God when it come to drawing. But yeah he only draw girls. ~_~

On the other hand I never seen a guy dressed in a woman dress before in my entire life >_< ..... well until I moved to the US.... 0_o

Last edited by Secca; 2004-05-06 at 10:43.
Old 2004-05-06, 13:49   Link #77
Fronzel
Schmuck

Wow, Kitagawa's obsession with Mika-sensei has gotten really old....in episode three. Nearly every scenes leans upon it relentlessly, and it seems mean and exploitative, somehow.

The "because you...are stupid" joke was pretty good, but then they had to go an ruin it by not playing it straight! Deadpan! Deadpan!

I wonder why Mika-sensei got such bad muscle pains. She's only twenty-seven, not....thirty....seven.....which is close to forty. I mean, she may be in bad shape...and a dwarf....but.....Ah, nevermind, it's comedic license.
Old 2004-05-06, 14:13   Link #78
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Once again, I thought the Kudo and Suetake gags were by far the funniest.
Old 2004-05-06, 14:51   Link #79
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
Wow, Kitagawa's obsession with Mika-sensei has gotten really old....in episode three. Nearly every scenes leans upon it relentlessly, and it seems mean and exploitative, somehow.
I feel the same way. I found it sort of amusing in the first ep, but Kitagawa revolves around Mika, and she's in so many scenes you just feel like saying "Okay, enough". Granted, Kudou does the same to Suetake, but he doesn't get nearly as much screentime, so his obsession is easier to take.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-05-06, 15:06   Link #80
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I tought the joke was pretty funny, but I do find these jokes are very asian culture oriented, it won't make any sense unless you know the asian culture well, or you been trough it yourself...
I've seen these jokes before and I don't think they are so hard to get. Yomi in Azumanga Daioh was obsessed about her weight.

But I don't think jokes stand apart from the characters in a presentation of any length. The more the viewer gets to know and like/dislike a character the better the jokes come off. Yomi's obsession with her weight was not the only part of her personality that the viewers got to know, and the subject was treated in a way that was sympathetic to Yomi.
Closed Thread