AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-28, 16:42   Link #41
james0246

^Just as a clarification (and not as a disagreement to your post), Oda did not work on Dragonball, he worked as an assisstant to Nobuhiro Watsuki on Rurouni Kenshin (and you can see many of the lessons (concerning story/plot/character development) that Oda took from working under Watsuki) as well as a slew of other smaller manga (his other big job was working for the humour manga New Jungle King Tar-chan, which influenced much of Oda's whimsical humour (Luffy was, in my opinion, influenced greatly by Tar-chan)), but Oda never worked with Toriyama on Dragonball (unless you are counting Cross Epoch).
Old 2009-01-28, 16:47   Link #42
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Well either way, I still don't like movie 10's plot to take Nami out of the story of One Piece permanently. It would ruin my chances of creating my spin-off series by 99.99999999999999999%. Only a miracle could turn those chances around.
(12 little kittens crying)
Movies are filler anyway, so it's not like it would be canon to the current or future plot of OP.
Old 2009-01-28, 16:57   Link #43
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
What worries me a little bit more is that it seems like Oda is going to fix this by using the new Haki powerup to diffuse the static in Luffy's way. It would kinda suck, just a little if his new murder-all specialty was Haki. It...would underrate, almost instantly all the Marines, and the whole World G-Unit. Because:

It seems like none of the Marines so far manifest Haki ability. It looks a bit like an instant margin to push all of Luffy's more frightening opponents behind. I don't know if I'm getting it out right, but if Haki becomes like a 'Haki > pretty much everything other than other strong Haki users' then The Marines would instantly fall out of the threat zone, and even thought he Yonkou would take over...it wouldn't be the same, since the Yonkou infighting (assumed to exist) is more selfish than pointed or purposeful. The Marines are the only sensible enemies and if they get pushed off then the fights would make no sense, somewhat.
Don't worry. When Luffy does end up learning (if he hasn't already) and utilizing Haki, he won't derogate (belittle or lessen if you will) the threat of the marines. It will just be a tool he uses to narrow/reduce the gap in strength between him and the higher ups like the admirals. Think of it as analogous to the gears, but on a much grander scale of power. Also, I'm pretty sure that the top tier fighters of the marines (i.e. Sengoku, Garp, and the admirals) are also well versed in Haki, or that they at least know about it. They might not have the "King's Disposition" Haki, but they will probably have a Haki that is very formidable in its own right.

Worst case scenario, if none of the marines have Haki just based on showings of combat so far (like you've said), it doesn't mean that Luffy is simply going to wipe the floor with them. Two of the admirals so far (Aokiji and Kizaru) are impervious to physical attacks since they are logia users. But from what we've seen of Haki, regardless of what type of devil fruit the user possesses, the power of Haki can break through the defenses of anything and internally injure the person. Even though this new found power would allow Luffy to damage the admirals, he still has to watch out for their ridiculously dangerous logia abilities. Aokiji and Kizaru are monsters and so far we have only seen them play around with their opponents. Just because you can damage someone, does not necessarily mean you're going to win. Luffy vs Crocodile round 2 is a perfect example of this. Luffy knew his weakness, but he still lost against him.
Old 2009-01-28, 18:36   Link #44
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Movies are filler anyway, so it's not like it would be canon to the current or future plot of OP.
We don't know that for sure. Not to mention the fact that Oda wrote the story for Movie 10 and he even has a character mentioned in the comic from the movie. Maybe the Movie's place in continuity will be mentioned by Oda in some sort of interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl
Hell yeah! Crocodile is the most stylish Shichibukai they've had beside Mihawk. He had it all: the superiority complex; the Mastermind Shemes; the Decadently luxurious mansion; the cigar; the Walk; the Talk; The vast, formidable criminal Organization...OMG!!!

Clearly a showstopper.
Best post in the thread^^!!
Old 2009-01-28, 18:42   Link #45
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
We don't know that for sure. Not to mention the fact that Oda wrote the story for Movie 10 and he even has a character mentioned in the comic from the movie. Maybe the Movie's place in continuity will be mentioned by Oda in some sort of interview.

Sort of like a prequel? I wonder what level of canon this will have (maybe like how Star Wars Clone Wars is "T"-level canon, just for example.)
Old 2009-01-28, 18:44   Link #46
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Another thought: I dunno about that net being seastone - can't see it anywhere in the barely legible text or the partial script. There is mention of seastone cuffs though. If the net was seastone it got broke rather easily.

Also, I think the floor limit is 30m, not 50m.
The above was based on the partial script posted around btw.

Full script out now. Level 3 bounties are 50m+. The net was iron, but with seastone too (iron mixed with seastone powder perhaps?). Enough to have anti Devil Fruit powers, I guess, but not enough to make it super-hard.

The Level 2 prisoners are going wild - and giving credit to Buggy The Blugori are going to be sent in to deal with them.

Sengoku sure isn't happy with Luffy doing so many unheard of things in a row - Enies Lobby, punching a Tenryuubito and now Impel Down. There has been one escapee 20 years ago, but Luffy will be the first successful intruder it seems. Impel Down has held hundreds of thousands of prisoners to date. Sengoku's also annoyed with Kuma reporting that he'd finished off the Strawhats at the archipelago - Sengoku now knows that Kuma lied. However, Sengoku doesn't seem to have a clue as to how Luffy could have gotten away from that situation (doesn't he know about Kuma's ability to send people flying long distance - others do, so it's not "secret"). No sign that Hancock is in any immediate suspicion.

Anyway, with Impel Down hearing back from Sengoku about Luffy, they now know his objectives. This means they're much more intent on stopping him than before. When Mr 3 and Buggy get away from Luffy, they hope Luffy'll make a good decoy - which he does, since the guards are focused on him (though he's already founds stairs going down). Buggy and Mr 3 hope to lurk for a bit since the stairs to Level 2 are currently blocked. Mr 3 is suffering quite a lot from the heat (seems enough that a bird cooked in the air or something) due to being a waxman.

I'm not sure if the guards and commander will follow Luffy down to Level 4. I wonder exactly how hot that place is, given Level 3 is already very hot. According to the commander there's 4 wandering beast gaolers in the floors below (no patrols then?). Apart from the warden, maybe those'll be the main fights Luffy will have to win to get to Ace then. Anyway, Luffy's progressing pretty quickly at the moment - faster than it looked like a few chapters ago. I wonder if we'll see Mr 1 next week.
Old 2009-01-28, 18:55   Link #47
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenomenol View Post
lol I have to agree with you on this, I too think Crocodile is brilliant as a villian def one of my favs

and am so glad he's making an appearance now!
Old 2009-01-28, 19:03   Link #48
marvelB

Eh, Moria will always be the #1 Shichibukai in my mind. I just love the fact that someone as lazy as him can still be such a huge threat (gotta love uniqueness!). I'd actually consider Blackbeard having the #1 spot instead, but I sort of see him being in a different league of his own despite him being a Shichibukai, what with him essentially being a "darker" version of Luffy. I'd still say that he's one of my top favorite villains overall, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You got that right my friend. Luffy was extremely lucky to have beaten two warlords (both of which I feel he should not have won against), and at this point in time the disparity between him and the admirals is not even funny.

Yep, Luffy certainly did survive those battles by the skin of his teeth. Heck, you can even say that the same applies to the Lucci battle as well, seeing as the marines held him in such high regard for being a legendary assassin. But.... hey, shounen logic and all that.

Still, that makes me all the more curious as to find out who the final boss in the Impel Down arc will be. Luffy's already commented that the freaky creatures guarding the first two levels alone were no pushovers, so who knows what final obstacle Luffy will have to face off against before he can successfully rescue his brother? While the wardens are probably pretty powerful in their own right, I'm not 100% certain that they'll be the final bosses for this storyline. After all, we also have to take into account the types of prisoners who are held in level 6+, and whatever creatures will be guarding over them. Luffy's gonna have a helluva rough time in the prison's lower levels......
Old 2009-01-29, 02:40   Link #49
Talendra

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
It seems like none of the Marines so far manifest Haki ability.
Well, what about Sentoumaru? That was (imo) pretty obvious haki use, from both, drawing style and its effects on Luffy. Also, while i think hes anything far from a pushover, Sentoumaru is certainly not WGs/Marines very top notch. Guess Oda would have a hard time to explain, how the Marines could actually not know about Haki. However, since its mostly a playing tool for the really strong ones (well, except in haki island of course ), im really positive that we will see more haki-based Marines in the New World.

Last edited by Talendra; 2009-01-29 at 02:51.
Old 2009-01-29, 03:27   Link #50
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If the topic is Haki, I'll be sure to stop by.

I'm not sure what people thinks Haki is now, but I'll just say that as long as someone is a leader, has demanding presence, is intimidating, is powerful, he already has Haki.

Why does the Pirates and even Marines have so much fear and respect for the Admirals? Because they are extremely powerful, have a demanding presence and intimidates them. Their Haki overwhelms those before them, just hearing their names, knowing that they are around somewhere sends shivers down their spines.

For Sakki, why do you think the Marines fear Lucci so much? Because that man is a walking killing machine, he doesn't hestitate to kill, he loves killing. The thought of crossing paths with him may mean that your life is in danger, that is Lucci's Sakki, people see him as an embodiment of death.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-01-29, 12:33   Link #51
Noshino

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Haha, I just realized something: Level 3 is supposed to be reserved for criminals for bounties of 50+ milion, yet Bon Clay is there.... who has a bounty of 32 million (and here's the pic for proof):

Guess the marines figured that trannies are more dangerous than their bounties imply.
Or maybe, as the picture that you presented mentions:

"Mr 2 is famous for breaking out of prison"

and so they decided to keep him under more security
Old 2009-01-29, 14:09   Link #52
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

well Bon-chan played a part in freeing other BW members whos to say his bount didn't raise after that, he did go up agianst Hina twice and I'm guessing he royally pissed her off both times
Old 2009-01-29, 18:32   Link #53
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Sort of like a prequel? I wonder what level of canon this will have (maybe like how Star Wars Clone Wars is "T"-level canon, just for example.)
Maybe, of course I have not seen an anime be released before it's put into the manga format. And what does the T in "T"-level canon stand for?
Old 2009-01-29, 19:02   Link #54
Wargumm1i
Hentai

But is it me or is the World Government more evil than pirates? I mean they talk about protecting "justice" and all that stuff, but every time i see them doing something like getting rid of pirates or for exemple the Buster call how inhuman it was on not only Enies Lobby but also Ohara.

I have maybe discovered a theory on Will of D and the missing past...

The Will of the D were royal family lines all the way to Luffy and few others for exemple...

* Monkey D.
* Gol D.
* Marshall D.
* Jaguar D.

who rule over the Ancient kingdom 800 years ago during and something happen between the Ancient Kingdom were the Monkey, Gol, Marshall, Jaguar rule over fought against the 20 kingdoms that soon became the World Governmant.

I cant fully create a theory since there are alot of holes, but since everyone who has The Will of the D, cant seem to figure why they have it, has to be involved with the lost centuray.
Old 2009-01-29, 22:15   Link #55
marvelB

It'll be quite interesting to see how Sengoku will handle the situation with Luffy.... seeing how pissed he is over Luffy's various antics, and the fact that none of the various marines/Shichibukai sent after him were successful in capturing our Supernova friend (whether it was deliberate or not), he may decide to travel to Impel Down to deal with Luffy personally. Garp's reaction to Luffy breaking into the prison makes it clear that he has no intention of arresting his own grandson, and Kuma's going to be under a lot of hot water with the government now that Sengoku's aware that he didn't wipe out the crew at Sabaody like he should have ('course, this also raises the possibility of Kuma working for Dragon, but that's another story......). Looks like if Sengoku wants the job of taking out Luffy done right, he'll most likely have to do it himself.....
Old 2009-01-29, 22:20   Link #56
james0246

^I doubt Sengoku can make any sudden movements right now (unless he, or a subordinate, has a power that allows him to travel great distances quickly), considering that Sengoku is waiting for Whitebeard to strike. That being said, I could definetly see Sengoku sending large amounts of reinforcements in order to quell a rebelion within Impel Down, as well as secure Luffy and, more importantly, Ace.
Old 2009-01-29, 23:02   Link #57
Slayerx

Quote:
Garp's reaction to Luffy breaking into the prison makes it clear that he has no intention of arresting his own grandson,.
I don't think so... remember, he also said he had absolutely no intention of catching him at water 7 as he went there with no orders, and he left just like that; but then he came back with orders from sen goku to capture Luffy and that's exactly what he tried to do... If he's ordered to, Garp will chase after Luffy with his strength... grant it, if Luffy manages to escape despite Garp's best efforts, he will also be the first to laugh it off and boast about how strong he is; while still disapproving his choice of life
Old 2009-01-29, 23:29   Link #58
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I don't think so... remember, he also said he had absolutely no intention of catching him at water 7 as he went there with no orders, and he left just like that; but then he came back with orders from sen goku to capture Luffy and that's exactly what he tried to do... If he's ordered to, Garp will chase after Luffy with his strength... grant it, if Luffy manages to escape despite Garp's best efforts, he will also be the first to laugh it off and boast about how strong he is; while still disapproving his choice of life

While it's true that Sengoku forced Garp to return, he still practically let Luffy escape in the end. Sure, his one-man Buster Call act was impressive (as well as tossing that gigantic cannonball), but I still doubt that Garp put a lot of effort in trying to stop Luffy. I mean, Aokiji was even present, yet he didn't lift a finger against Luffy himself (especially when he could have just frozen the water to stop Sunny in its tracks!). I believe that, in the end, Garp was just going easy on his grandson.....
Old 2009-01-30, 00:20   Link #59
Slayerx

Quote:
While it's true that Sengoku forced Garp to return, he still practically let Luffy escape in the end. Sure, his one-man Buster Call act was impressive (as well as tossing that gigantic cannonball), but I still doubt that Garp put a lot of effort in trying to stop Luffy. I mean, Aokiji was even present, yet he didn't lift a finger against Luffy himself (especially when he could have just frozen the water to stop Sunny in its tracks!). I believe that, in the end, Garp was just going easy on his grandson.....
Garp only "let" Luffy escape in the sense that the Sunny-Go rocketed into the sky in a way that it would have been totally futile to give chase... no point in chasing Luffy if there is no hope of catching up... Really Garp tried to crush him with an iron ball that was bigger than the sunny (which always made me wonder where the hell they were keeping such a thing on their ship)... to say he wasn't trying to stop Luffy is like saying he new the sunny could rocket off into the sky or that he knew Luffy could deflect something so monstrous

As for Aokiji... Again, much like Garp, unless Aokiji gets direct orders, whether or not he acts is up to him... There is no indication that aokiji was keeping in contact with HQ, and he very likely has been on water 7 the whole time till Garp showed up and he decided to hitch a ride... Aokiji was not ordered to attack and thus decided he wanted to just lay back and not interfer
Old 2009-01-30, 08:45   Link #60
kari-no-sugata

Full MQ raw is out.

Not much to add since my last post, except that Luffy hasn't found the Level 4 stairs yet - he's jumping around looking for them and that for the 4 gaoler beasts below, one seems to be that Minotaur.