AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 86 50.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 30.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 9.47%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 4.73%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-12, 17:49   Link #101
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Old 2009-03-12, 18:06   Link #102
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

i wonder why the youtube subs say the first part was released yesterday and the second part 19 hours ago. i know that i checked a couple hours ago and they were not online.

this also happened last week. strange.
Old 2009-03-12, 18:10   Link #103
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

all 3 parts are now available on youtube
Old 2009-03-12, 18:11   Link #104
(o^^)-o*(x_x)*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
i wonder why the youtube subs say the first part was released yesterday and the second part 19 hours ago. i know that i checked a couple hours ago and they were not online.

this also happened last week. strange.
Who knows. Anyways, all three parts are out.
Old 2009-03-12, 18:17   Link #105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

All romance comedies have angsty moments. The term "comedy" in its original Greek formulation can include darkness and romance comedies as a rule have a "scary or sad climactic moment" before things sort themselves out.

A selection of romance comedies from the 1930s through the 1960s will give you a good feel for the genre. The rom-com REC explicitly homaged the genre with their Audrey Hepburn eye-catches and dialog references. The pattern follows a formula: character exposition, hijinks, squabbling hilarity, a rise to a sad/scary/tragic atmosphere and then some kind of happy or at least bittersweet-happy resolution.

I might be tempted to push Toradora (especially the novel version) more towards a general "human comedy" - those can be quite biting since they focus on the comedic nature of human flaws and mistakes.

As far as japanese genre labels, meh. The author pitched a storyline to a number of publishers, it just so happened one publisher picked it up. She told her story - sales were good, the publisher could care less whether or not the content fit their genre label.

edit: fish_eric, try not to triple post like that (local forum etiquette and rules). Edit your existing post using the edit button on the lower right. You can also delete accidental double postings.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-03-12 at 18:57.
Old 2009-03-12, 18:25   Link #106
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
fish_eric, try not to triple post like that (local forum etiquette and rules). Edit your existing post using the edit button on the lower right. You can also delete accidental double postings.
i will from now on.
Old 2009-03-12, 18:43   Link #107
Halohead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This is exactly how some people think. Which is very, very sad.

I don't want to become a writer if I'm going to have jackasses like that reading my works.
You consider readers to be jackasses just because they make a different interpretation of a story than the author had originally intended?

Literature is CREATED to have differing opinions. When you publish a book and put it on the shelf for people to read, you're giving them open headway to draw their own conclusions and their own meanings from your work, you're not forcing them to come to the exact end you want them to reach. There's a reason why ambiguity is such a commonly used literary technique in novels.

If you're a writer, you should be happy if your novel is viewed in more than one aspect. It means the story you've crafted isn't static and one-dimensional, it means you've succeeded in firing up the reader's brain, triggering their imagination.

"But," you might say, "what if I was leading the story up to this really huge symbolic theme or political statement or whatever, and the reader completely misses it, and thinks it's something else?" Well, so what? That's just how his experience with your novel went. In fact, when novel discussions and debates spring up, it'll bring up lots of opportunities for readers to reread your novel. Not many people will go through a story again if they feel they've got nothing else to discover.

Anyways, I realize I've probably blown this out of proportion, and strayed way off of what you had originally intended with your statement. But even so, try to be more tolerant and open to other people's opinions. You don't see chefs tearing off their aprons and storming of of their restaurant when a customer suggests the beef stew needs more salt. So don't tear your hair out when readers think your romantic comedy series is more of a drama, or that your horror novels are more action/suspense.

And now a short statement to make my post on-topic: I thought the episode was good.
Old 2009-03-12, 18:48   Link #108
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halohead View Post
You consider readers to be jackasses just because they make a different interpretation of a story than the author had originally intended?
I consider people jackasses when they TRY to come up with a different interpretation than the most obvious, clearly intended one (even if they have to really, really stretch it) in order to stroke their overinflated egos.

Not all critics are like this, I'm just saying.

And I thought the episode was good too. Even though I haven't seen it yet.
Old 2009-03-12, 19:02   Link #109
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halohead View Post
And now a short statement to make my post on-topic: I thought the episode was good.
i concur

(there is a 10 character minimum for posting so i had to add this down here to make the post long enough)
Old 2009-03-12, 19:58   Link #110
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Lordy you people are sad.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-03-12, 21:19   Link #111
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

Situations like this call for the facepalm. I'll check on the youtube subs for the moment and then check out Coalguys tomorrow. Hey atleast there's no hardcore shipping to deal with anymore. (^_^) always look on the bright side of life.

Spoiler for confrontation:
Old 2009-03-12, 21:52   Link #112
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

which part about everyone is sad? im not sure which thing you are referencing.

about the episode

IMO this is the best episode since ep 18 when Ami confronted Ryuji in the storage room with the father-daughter metaphor.

Taiga looked super cute in her piggy tails.

It was nice to see Ami smile. She hasn't smiled in an episode since she got mad at Ryuji during the Christmas party. The more and more the anime goes on I feel like Ami's character doesn't make sense in the story. IMO her character would have been better if they had spent more time fleshing her out, or given her less time and made her more like Maya. I like the character but I for as much time as they spend with her its all feels superficial.

Minori seems like a hypocrite. She is yelling at Taiga saying let me find my own happiness. But she liked Ryuji and purposely put her own feelings on a shelf so for Taiga. Why should Taiga be the one whom everyone helps and not Minori? Especially since Ryuji liked Minori in the first place. Im sure he still does too. He only put aside his feeling because Minori rejected him and he doesn't want to be hurt any longer.

Taiga was really funny when she was holding her cheeks and being all giggly during the handing out of valentine's day chocolates. "oh no i just couldn't say hehe giggle"

Im really surprised that Ryuji didn't think that Taiga and her Best Friend would talk about her being carried on who's back. For a character that is supposedly smart enough to get scholarships that was pretty stupid.

My favorite part of the episode was when Ryuji felt bad about Yasuko and Taiga chased after him. When he tried to leave and she kept pulling at his arm and then she calls out his name "Ryuji!....ryuji" and he starts crying and squeezes her hand. I thought that was a really well done scene. I even teared up a little bit. Im really impressed by how vivid the characters emotional pallets are.

The animation in this episode was really well done. When Minori starts to get upset and she lays the chocolates on the table you can see the creases in the cellophane wrapping. And then the same thing happened when she grabbed Taiga's wrist. She sticks her thumb into Taiga's wrist and you can see the skin get stretched. I really like it when an anime has great animation. For me the animation style is just as important as the story. Sometimes even more important if its an all out action flick.

10/10
Old 2009-03-12, 21:55   Link #113
(o^^)-o*(x_x)*

Coalguys Sub is out.
Old 2009-03-12, 22:17   Link #114
wistfulloner

Thank god for the subs; finally, everything makes bloody sense.

The part where Taiga accidentally spills the beans is pretty cliche, but instead of going down into a stereotypical mush, the whole scene was pretty intense and overall very well done.

The ball is in Ryuji's court now, lets see what stroke he'll make. His indecisiveness still irks me a little.
Old 2009-03-12, 22:25   Link #115
SageGaiGar
You are Next

It's about time for him to 'man up' one way or another.
Old 2009-03-12, 22:33   Link #116
Raiga
tl;dr

Just goes to show that I'm still a long ways away from not needing subs... sure it's easy to get the gist of the conversations, but an episode like this just has so much more impact with all the details in the dialog...

I think the part with Taiga letting on about what she said on the field trip was actually quite realistic. Even after Ryuuji said no one heard it last episode, I'm sure she must still have been really worried about it and wanted to confirm for sure from Kitamura. Classic human psychology, people tend to be most obvious about the things they're trying to hide. Your parent's really can't read your mind, but they can read guilty behavior...

It's really amazing how much Taiga's changed over the course of the series... how all she wants now is for her friends to be happy...

On a completely un-serious note, I wonder how Yasuko's costume fit Taiga? Or did they modify it or make a new one just for her?
Old 2009-03-12, 22:41   Link #117
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post

On a completely un-serious note, I wonder how Yasuko's costume fit Taiga? Or did they modify it or make a new one just for her?
i noticed that too.
Old 2009-03-12, 23:23   Link #118
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
Thank god for the subs; finally, everything makes bloody sense.

The part where Taiga accidentally spills the beans is pretty cliche, but instead of going down into a stereotypical mush, the whole scene was pretty intense and overall very well done.

The ball is in Ryuji's court now, lets see what stroke he'll make. His indecisiveness still irks me a little.
ball? stroke? haha sorry just couldn't help but make that connection...

but honestly, this episode was great. I still feel bad for Ami, her whole "it would've been alright if it wasn't everyone", damn it ryuuji u idiot!

Last scene was quite epic, and to the person who said minorin is hypocritical...not really. That might've been the way she was, but i think after her last "talk" with ami, she's changed and so she can make that comment w/o really seeing her as a hypocrite.

and on a side note, i'll have to agree with kaisos on the whole the "death of the author" is kind of stupid
Old 2009-03-12, 23:49   Link #119
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Situations like this call for the facepalm. I'll check on the youtube subs for the moment and then check out Coalguys tomorrow. Hey atleast there's no hardcore shipping to deal with anymore. (^_^) always look on the bright side of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
which part about everyone is sad? im not sure which
thing you are referencing.
At this point it's impossible to bitch and moan about Ryuji x Minorin or *gag* Ryuji x Ami happening, but somehow even when it's taken away from you guys people find a way to argue about something even stupider.

Jesus.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2009-03-13, 00:07   Link #120
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

bleh.. excessive amounts of Ami made me enjoy the ep, but Ryuuji's thickheadedness pisses me off. I honestly hope that Ryuuji doesn't end up with either Taiga or Minorin. it would serve him right. his level of indecisiveness is ridiculous.

Taiga x Minorin confrontation was done well.
Closed Thread