AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-08, 08:47   Link #521
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Also wtf @ girl making out with soldiers. And kuniko being all "hey wuts up" right after.
Episode 8 I presume? She didn't know or couldn't have known what the other girls had to sacrifice. Tomoka hide the truth from her which I believe is rather rational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Moon... Ascend to the heavens and illuminate the night sky

Sun... Ascend to the heavens and illuminate the land

Land... Eh?

Ryouko is going to take out Medusa. That answers one of my big questions: Why would they take out Serpent and leave MEDUSA alone when Serpent was only doing exactly what MEDUSA was doing? Answer: because they couldn't find MEDUSA.

Who is Sayoko's 10 year old daughter, Midori? Mikuni? Did she give one earring to each of her daughters? What did she give her son?

Kuniko  "country child" - red circle on knife - Sun - Digma 2
Mikuni "beautiful country" - dark crescent on knife - Moon - Digma 1
Kunihito "country person" - grey circle on knife - Land - Digma 3?

Digma was the name of a computer virus back around 2000. Are they viruses planted to bring Atlas to its knees when they trigger? Did Sayoko perform some weird experiment on her unborn children to give them special powers?
I'm going to take Sayoko daughter being Midori at face value. There is no reason she would hide it from Mikuni if she is Sayako daughter or interrogate Momoko to find the origin of the earring.

I'm curious but your explanation of Digma being a virus that will ultimately destroy Atlas, where did you obtain such info?
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 16:55   Link #522
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

For some reason I keep thinking that Saoko's daughter is the genius kid with Medusa. The age would be similar, neither see their parent/child often, but I doubt it's that simple.
Oh, and child Kuniko is sooo cute!
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 17:22   Link #523
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
I'm curious but your explanation of Digma being a virus that will ultimately destroy Atlas, where did you obtain such info?
Mere speculation from the fact that there was in our real world a computer virus released in 2000 called Digma. When was the light novel written?

Glad to see you back from your trip!
Old 2009-06-08, 20:04   Link #524
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

According to wiki, the novel was serialized between April 2004 and May 2005, so after the computer virus. It's a really recent book, wouldn't mind reading it myself.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 02:50   Link #525
kero

i logged on just so I could come and discuss shangri la.

first off, momoko, is the best thing going in the series, she kicks ass, and looks fabulous doing it XD.

I think kiryuu has made some good points about the flaws in the story [esp the whole kuniko escapes execution while waving cheerfully to girls who've helped - they were going to run tanks through Duomo to capture her, did she naively think the girls wouldn't be punished?]

how far is duomo from the prison anyways, she treks home, then goes all the way back through the tunnel, without breaking a sweat. and also you'd think there'd be news about a prisoner escape + massacre right?

And Kuniko does look/behave more like she's 15.
___

But still I find the story line interesting/intriguing and will follow through. And I hope Momoko survives AND gets to reopen her club/bar

kuniko doesn't really grab my heart as the heroine. maybe if there was a bit more boomerang action.

__

I got a bit confused about someone mentioned sayako [was this some pun on psycho?] has a child?

When was that talked about in the anime? Can anyone give me the lowdown on this?

for some reason I felt like ryouko was karin's mum (mainly because of one transition seen that showed them both at computer terminals opening mail) but that doesn't make sense, or does it?
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 07:42   Link #526
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Mere speculation from the fact that there was in our real world a computer virus released in 2000 called Digma. When was the light novel written?

Thank you very much, hahah although someone's presences is missing from this forum. I can't have my fun without knowing he is in agony watching this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
i logged on just so I could come and discuss Shangri-la.

first off, momoko, is the best thing going in the series, she kicks ass, and looks fabulous doing it XD.

I think kiryuu has made some good points about the flaws in the story [esp the whole kuniko escapes execution while waving cheerfully to girls who've helped - they were going to run tanks through Duomo to capture her, did she naively think the girls wouldn't be punished?]

how far is duomo from the prison anyways, she treks home, then goes all the way back through the tunnel, without breaking a sweat. and also you'd think there'd be news about a prisoner escape + massacre right?

And Kuniko does look/behave more like she's 15.
___

But still I find the story line interesting/intriguing and will follow through. And I hope Momoko survives AND gets to reopen her club/bar

kuniko doesn't really grab my heart as the heroine. maybe if there was a bit more boomerang action.

__

I got a bit confused about someone mentioned sayako [was this some pun on psycho?] has a child?

When was that talked about in the anime? Can anyone give me the lowdown on this?

for some reason I felt like ryouko was karin's mum (mainly because of one transition seen that showed them both at computer terminals opening mail) but that doesn't make sense, or does it?
Momoko is a rather interesting exhibit. To the many that don't like her because she's a cross dresser who authentically sounds male, the real world is crueler than people think.

Episode 8 seems to be getting an array of comments, no matter how gimmicky or preposterous people believe ihow it happen I genuinely believe it was rather intentional in the spirit of fun. I've use Lupin the third as a generalization where people are more willing to enjoy the aspect of Lupin's escape. Episode 8 and part of Akihabara episodes have a ratio to invoked witty and stereotypical humour on the viewers. But the gimmick part of episode 8 has some grounding in the science prevalent in the series which makes for some rather interesting set up.

Secondly the girls would receive a punishment but clearly in today's world mass murder isn't a conclusion anyone concluded. If anyone thought the girls were going to die I would assume you are the evil of the earth.

Sayako having a child name Midori is mention in episode 10 of shangri-la, have you seen it yet?
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 09:42   Link #527
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
For some reason I keep thinking that Saoko's daughter is the genius kid with Medusa. The age would be similar, neither see their parent/child often, but I doubt it's that simple.
Quote:
It DOES make sense. I don't recall that scene. What episode was it?
Quote:
I'm going to take Sayoko daughter being Midori at face value. There is no reason she would hide it from Mikuni if she is Sayako daughter or interrogate Momoko to find the origin of the earring.?
Thinking it over again with this input, it does seem unlikely that Sayoko is the mother of the Digma, although she may have had a hand in their creation.

The earrings confuse me, as there are only 2, leaving Kunihito out of that model. All 3 do have swords, but the swords are very old, handed down through generations from a much earlier common source. I speculate that long ago three friends made some kind of pact with the Jungle, signified by the swords, and handed them down through their families. But the Jungle isn't that old. Auuugh!
Anyone else have some ideas here?

Maybe I'll have more luck with Karin's parents. Both Sayoko and Ryouko are good candidates here. Both have the same workaholic and cold-blooded ethic as Karin. Both are too busy to see her much.

On the one hand, Karin's parents are clearly people of great wealth and power, like Ryouko, although I'm sure Sayoko is receiving more than minimum wage. On the other hand, the episode 10 teasers about Sayoko's daughter missing her so much seem intended to point at Sayoko. But why would Karin's name not be Midori then?

And what about Papa? When Karin talks about her parents, it sounds like they are together. You'd think any mate of Sayoko would be dead by now.

Ryouko could have had a child with anyone. Perhaps the mysterious Talshin, who seems to have a bigger picture view of MEDUSA than even its creator, Karin. And he even seems able to take control of it away from her, like a father would.

And it seems to fit that Ryouko would be on a power trip struggle with any (ex)husband she had. He has some great transcendent plan involving MEDUSA and Jupiter, so she is going to destroy MEDUSA, her own daughter's life work, not to save the carbon markets, but just to mess him up.

There, I've convinced myself! My vote for Karin's parents goes to Ryouko and Talshin. But wait a minute. Karin treats Talshin as quite distinct from her father. Dang! Foiled again!

P.S. Clearly, I'M enjoying the show. And I think the art since the few glitches in episode 3 has been great.
Quote:
Thank you very much, hahah although someone's presences is missing from this forum. I can't have my fun without knowing he is in agony watching this series.
What I thought was funny was that earlier I had said that noone was forced to watch the show, and then along comes this guy who said that he WAS forced to watch the show!
Old 2009-06-09, 11:13   Link #528
kero

I think it was the episode 9, or 8 that I thought about karin being nazi lady's daughter.

re mass murder: Kuniko was going to get executed for no reason at all, so the girls should have had some modicum of fear in them, but I suppose they were high on their success.

I would say that the tone of the escape then to the mass murder afterwards seemed jarringly incongruent. And I wasn't really moved by the deaths. [though I AM worried about Momoko]

-and I <3 the fact that Momoko has a manly voice!
__

and no wonder i don't know about midori, i haven't seen episode 10 yet. I wish there was some way to flag up how far discussion has gotten, since I'm obviously (going to be continually) behind and I don't want to be spoiled.
Old 2009-06-09, 12:47   Link #529
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
I'm obviously (going to be continually) behind
Why do you have to be behind? Shangri-la on Crunchyroll is open to all, new episodes every Sunday night.
Old 2009-06-09, 13:12   Link #530
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I tried to drop this show, but despite its manifest failings, I still enjoy it and look forward to it every week. And I enjoy Kuniko most of all. She is a unique character, with her ridiculous confidence -- now shaken. I also like the two vicious lolis. Vicious but sympathetic, to me. And I have to admit that I have gotten over my reverse dislike of the two cross-dressing characters (resenting the producers making silly fun of gay men) and just appreciate them for themselves and their roles in the story.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 13:49   Link #531
DangerMouse

Quote:

Very interesting, nice piece of info.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 14:10   Link #532
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And I have to admit that I have gotten over my reverse dislike of the two cross-dressing characters (resenting the producers making silly fun of gay men) and just appreciate them for themselves and their roles in the story.
I don't see how they're making fun of gay men. Speaking from experience of the people i've met over the years, both Momoko and Mi-ko are portrayed quite nicely.

Regarding episode 10, i just love the flashback scenes between Kuniko and Momoko. It's nice to see how their relationship began, and how Momoko plays the older brother/sister role in Kuniko's life.
Old 2009-06-09, 16:53   Link #533
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
I tried to drop this show, but despite its manifest failings, I still enjoy it and look forward to it every week. And I enjoy Kuniko most of all. She is a unique character, with her ridiculous confidence -- now shaken. I also like the two vicious lolis. Vicious but sympathetic, to me. And I have to admit that I have gotten over my reverse dislike of the two cross-dressing characters (resenting the producers making silly fun of gay men) and just appreciate them for themselves and their roles in the story.
fraudian slip? :P
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 18:04   Link #534
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
I also like the two vicious lolis.
You're not kidding about vicious. I have to go back to Narutaru to recall such a cast of vicious and sadistic characters (I really almost threw up watching that Butakui guy going to work on Norio. Sayako is sweet in comparison.).

Sayoko - masochism, sadism
Ryouko - megalomania, sadism
Mikuni - noblesse mérite, dissocial personality disorder
Karin - noblesse mérite, dissocial personality disorder

Although not in the "vicious" category, there are also a number of characters who could be said to display deviant behavior.

Shion - masochism
Momoko - transsexualism
Miko - transsexualism
Klaris - dissocial personality disorder

And then there's the 3 Stooges in Akiba.
Old 2009-06-09, 18:10   Link #535
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
fraudian slip? :P
Freudian slip?
Old 2009-06-09, 22:42   Link #536
kero

oh crunchy roll, is it subbed?

I had not too successful experiences previous times with CR i could try again I suppose

i think momoko and miko so far have been the best portrayals of "gay" (technically they're transexuals and not gays) that I've soon. And I like that there are two and they contrast each other nicely.
Old 2009-06-10, 00:29   Link #537
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Quote:
oh crunchy roll, is it subbed?
Yes. just click, sit back, and enjoy.

[rant]Crunchyroll seems to me like the perfect answer to all the "piracy" bitchin' that's been going on for so many years.

The company is happy because they maintain control and get revenues. They make me watch a thirty second ad up front. I can live with that. They can control the quality, do their own translation, and release simultaneously with the Japanese.

The fan is happy because he doesn't have to:

- wait a year and pay $30 for every two episodes. This was always a ridiculous concept. I can't believe people actually ever went for this canard. But you can still find proponents of this model bragging about their "legitimacy", how they're "supporting the artist", and how they like the feel of DVDs in their hands. And then there are the puppets of the distributors, like ANN, who propagate this idea merely to lick the butts of their advertisers. I knew one poor sod who had a 5 year plan to save his pennies and finally see all of Ranma at the cost of a small automobile.

- seek out fansubs of unknown and uncontrollable quality at the risk of their immortal souls.

The fansubbers are happy because they no longer "have to" expend large amounts of time, trouble, labor, and money to do the companies' job for them for no other motivation or reward than to serve the community they love. These guys are the unsung heroes of the industry. Contrary to any propaganda, there never have been any "pirates" in our community, ripping off the big companies and end users for personal profit.[/rant]
Old 2009-06-10, 14:06   Link #538
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Quote:
Oddly enough, it's not actually a light novel. It's "serious literature", at least in theory. And the author has a bit of a thing with putting in abnormal characters; I've got another novel by him that features a half-black, half-japanese "Amerasian" girl named "Dennis."
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-10, 17:32   Link #539
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiryuuKazumanosuke View Post
Oddly enough, it's not actually a light novel. It's "serious literature", at least in theory. And the author has a bit of a thing with putting in abnormal characters; I've got another novel by him that features a half-black, half-japanese "Amerasian" girl named "Dennis."
Dennis? O_o

BTW, ep 10 seems to have put thing in motion, but ANN says the thing's 24 eps long... I really thought we're gonna get the thing done in 3 more eps and end with the spring season... I suppose we might be getting twists here and there, cause if they have that many eps to go, they need to put a lot of stuff in.
Old 2009-06-11, 02:27   Link #540
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Quote:
BTW, ep 10 seems to have put thing in motion, but ANN says the thing's 24 eps long... I really thought we're gonna get the thing done in 3 more eps and end with the spring season... I suppose we might be getting twists here and there, cause if they have that many eps to go, they need to put a lot of stuff in.
Or start, you know, answering some of the stuff that they've already opened up. Like who the hell is Karin? How did a 10-year old girl design this insane semi-living supercomputer, and more importantly, WHY? And why do we care? What's her connection with the story they're telling? Or how they made a big deal about this holo-armor, and then just kinda stopped. Etc. etc.
There's plenty left to talk about; it's just an open question of whether it'll be interesting or not.
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonzo, science fiction