AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-11, 05:51   Link #541
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I still feel sad for that cute girl to be thrown in that ...lake and being transformed into that screaming kid (whose name I cant recall)
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-11, 08:05   Link #542
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I still feel sad for that cute girl to be thrown in that ...lake and being transformed into that screaming kid (whose name I cant recall)
The girl had no name, which sucks cause she was rather cute ^^ . The other thing (the screaming kid but I call it thing :P) is Lord Hiruko or something. Creepy >_>
Old 2009-06-11, 10:37   Link #543
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I'm really curious to see how all some of these supernatural powers are going to fit into the story. Kuniko's travel in the computer world (with the carbon market, not the other time), Mikuni's mental powers, Lord Hiruko's possessions, swords that all start vibrating at the same time (and seem to change the weather) that all feels a lot more like fantasy than science fiction.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 03:20   Link #544
Alchemist007
*Author

I suddenly got the feeling that Momoko is Ryouko's sibling.
Old 2009-06-12, 10:53   Link #545
kero

I think the word you're looking for is unusual, and not abnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiryuuKazumanosuke View Post
Oddly enough, it's not actually a light novel. It's "serious literature", at least in theory. And the author has a bit of a thing with putting in abnormal characters; I've got another novel by him that features a half-black, half-japanese "Amerasian" girl named "Dennis."
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 17:15   Link #546
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Quote:
Nope, I meant abnormal. If the kimono-wearing transsexual babysitter sumo wrestler doesn't qualify as abnormal, we should probably just pack up the English language and go home.

Quote:
I'm really curious to see how all some of these supernatural powers are going to fit into the story. Kuniko's travel in the computer world (with the carbon market, not the other time), Mikuni's mental powers, Lord Hiruko's possessions, swords that all start vibrating at the same time (and seem to change the weather) that all feels a lot more like fantasy than science fiction.
I had assumed that the images we saw of the black dragon etc. were kind of a zen thing, rather than actual magic.
KiryuuKazumanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-12, 17:56   Link #547
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Nope, I meant abnormal. If the kimono-wearing transsexual babysitter sumo wrestler doesn't qualify as abnormal, we should probably just pack up the English language and go home.

I had assumed that the images we saw of the black dragon etc. were kind of a zen thing, rather than actual magic.
No, I think unusual is the word. Abnormal is a bit too strong, abnormal is what I would call that little girl with the medusa.
Hmm, when did black dragon(s?) pop up? I don't remember seeing those, and I doubt that Hiroku's possession thing is Zen, that looked more supernatural (and I thought Zen was supposed to be calm and peaceful as well, that wasn't either of them).
Old 2009-06-12, 18:40   Link #548
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Quote:
Hmm, when did black dragon(s?) pop up?
The black dragon/snake thingie was a piece of CGI crap that popped up on the screen during the carbon markets nonsense in episode 6/7, it showed up where a better anime would've put expository diagrams.

As an aside, Zen really doesn't have much to do with calm and beauty anymore than as a means to an end; that end is to see the true nature of things and realize that you are one with the universe. I meant it in the sense of "gaining insight into the nature of things", where Kuniko realizes the nature of the Serpent program as a black dragon slithering through the carbon markets, destroying all in its path. It's not an actual dragon; it's a piece of computer code sitting on a server somewhere.
Old 2009-06-12, 21:30   Link #549
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
The black dragon/snake thingie was a piece of CGI crap that popped up on the screen during the carbon markets nonsense in episode 6/7, it showed up where a better anime would've put expository diagrams.

As an aside, Zen really doesn't have much to do with calm and beauty anymore than as a means to an end; that end is to see the true nature of things and realize that you are one with the universe. I meant it in the sense of "gaining insight into the nature of things", where Kuniko realizes the nature of the Serpent program as a black dragon slithering through the carbon markets, destroying all in its path. It's not an actual dragon; it's a piece of computer code sitting on a server somewhere.
Oh okay, now I remember and that all makes sense. I guess the animators (or maybe the original author) thought that it would be easier to show serpent as an actual serpent than as a series of graphs. And graphs probably would have been more confusing, then we would have been debating what in the world they meant and everyone here is already divided on the idea of how this carbon market works.
Old 2009-06-13, 00:29   Link #550
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Well I meant graphs and explanatory notes, charts. Maybe with chibi versions of the characters. You know, the things real animes do when they have a complicated concept to explain to their viewers that's plot critical.

My own private theory is that they know the whole carbon market thing is laughable bullcrap, and they couldn't put up a pretense of being a serious work if they tried to explain it.
Old 2009-06-13, 10:55   Link #551
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well the carbon market could exist in the near future in the US (I know I posted an article about it just a page or two back...) so the basic concept of it is sound. People have to buy carbon credits in order to pollute, this creates demand. Other people have extra carbon credits they wish to see, that's supply.
But as for the numbers in the anime yeah, I don't get where they are getting those from or heck, who gives out the carbon credits in the first place? Do countries get some every year? Who determines how many they get?
Old 2009-06-13, 12:38   Link #552
Alchemist007
*Author

The carbon credit dealer of course!
Old 2009-06-13, 12:55   Link #553
KiryuuKazumanosuke

We have no idea. Is it a fair system? An unfair system? How much of it is neccessary, and how much of it is eco-lunacy?
Old 2009-06-13, 16:46   Link #554
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
The word I used was deviant.

Hikari to Kage has been doing some pretty funny blogs on Shangrila lately here.

He put it this way:

"That, along with some pretty weird and hilarious characters, like Joker (Lady Ryoko or something, meh), the sadists, the slaves, the lolis, the trannies, the grannies, makes this a pretty entertaining watch."
Old 2009-06-13, 21:40   Link #555
KiryuuKazumanosuke

Deviant.
Yeah, deviant works.

Not sure I agree with "entertaining" though.
Old 2009-06-13, 22:00   Link #556
Used Can

I think this one has been one seriously underrated anime. Certainly, it started quite slow, but I think the plot, as it is now, is being developed quite well. The whole deal with carbon credits is still a bit off (primarily because that's a task that you'd never leave in the hands of the private sector), but I think it's quite easy to bypass.
Old 2009-06-14, 10:13   Link #557
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
The word I used was deviant.

Hikari to Kage has been doing some pretty funny blogs on Shangrila lately here.

He put it this way:

"That, along with some pretty weird and hilarious characters, like Joker (Lady Ryoko or something, meh), the sadists, the slaves, the lolis, the trannies, the grannies, makes this a pretty entertaining watch."
Wow, I loved that review. Think I'll start following that blogger now...
Old 2009-06-14, 20:26   Link #558
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

I love Karin and all, but I think I missed the plot or whatever just happened in Ep. 11. Someone please inform me, I'm a tad confused on the matter~
Old 2009-06-14, 21:46   Link #559
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Great Karin episode 11!
Spoiler for episode 11:

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-06-15 at 02:00.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 01:51   Link #560
Weils

Spoiler for Spoilers for Ep 11::
Weils is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonzo, science fiction