Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-21, 07:41   Link #601
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
& i hear Natsume~
And I hear both characters. In Araragi's calm moments, I can hear Natsume in his voice, but when he's perturbed (usually by Senjougahara), you can also hear Itoshiki. I think the Natsume Yuujinchou comparisons in general are interesting. I think they're only apt to a certain degree. This is more Natsume Yuujinchou with venom. I mean, could you see Natsume swinging a schoolgirl around by her leg?

I actually get a bit of a "Haruhi" feel from this series. They both take a similar narrative approach, being very loyal to the natural narrative style of a novel, where the lead character's internal thoughts play the role of a narrator. Just like Haruhi, this internal narrator is used very well for comedy, and there are a few similarities in the sarcastic style of humour (although Haruhi probably takes that further), but as a device it's used very well to weave little observations and comments on the characters' state-of-mind into the story that would otherwise be difficult to bring up through other means. And I know it's already been said in this thread, but, oh, the dialogue! Snappy! I'm not sure I want to start suggesting this as a possibility for "anime of the year" (too early for that), but I think we have a contender for "best script".
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 07:49   Link #602
Lord Ryo
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Lord Ryo
This is a really good show, I like it so far. The unique visuals and musical score really set it apart from other recent anime. I hope it all plays out good, I haven't read the manga or light novels so I don't know what to expect. But I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of this show.
Lord Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 07:58   Link #603
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
The scope of Araragi's and Senjogahara's conversation throughout episode 3 was something beyond depth of most small humans reasoning lol. There were so many words within words and so much said that was not actually do so. I enjoyed the episode even though much did not happen. I must admit Araragi is pretty funny guy but only because of his misfortune lol. its obvious he thinks Senjogahara is pretty after all that blushing and staring at her cleavage its obvious. When she asked him if "he wanted a g/f" i was wondering if he would take the bait but he didnt. I believe it will take sometime for his true feelings to shine through.

Senjogahara is a most intriguing character shes so rude and direct sometimes you dont know what how to take it except to laugh. Her manner of speech is interesting too. I find it interesting that she wanted to pay Araragi back so they could begin as friends. You would think otherwise with the way she talks to him i find their whole relationship interesting. Is this the case of you pull the girls hair because you like or is it shes just not good with people and doesn't have that switch that tells us when not to say something. Im interested in her real feelings as well and what little adventures they will go through.

a high schooler beats up elementary schooler and is proud of it. Is it a sad a battle well fought? i think a win is a win that little girl was freakin tough.
Old 2009-07-21, 08:05   Link #604
Westlo
Lets be reality

Thanks for the info sirn and apr. It was interesting to see the titles for the 2 books coming out in 2010 assuming the wiki info is correct. Tsubasa's your favorite character isn't she sirn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I must admit Araragi is pretty funny guy but only because of his misfortune lol. its obvious he thinks Senjogahara is pretty after all that blushing and staring at her cleavage its obvious.
Don't forget his ahoge "standing to attention" in one scene lol.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 09:04   Link #605
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Thanks for the info sirn and apr. It was interesting to see the titles for the 2 books coming out in 2010 assuming the wiki info is correct. Tsubasa's your favorite character isn't she sirn?
I'm surprised someone could pick a favourite character, because the girls are all so damn awesome. This is an extreme case of otaku fantasy idealism, while somehow still remaining peculiarly "real" in how conversations flow.

(maybe I'll agree once I finish the fifth arc)
Old 2009-07-21, 10:33   Link #606
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I'm surprised someone could pick a favourite character, because the girls are all so damn awesome. This is an extreme case of otaku fantasy idealism.
Um, no. Hachikuji is a 10-year-old kid. Way too young to be "awesome", you sicko.

Wait. Senjogahara is not quite legal either.

(Oh sh*t. I'm lusting after a young girl's body. I'm so screwed. )

Maybe Oshino could help me out. I'll get to see a loli vampire too. Hmm.....
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 10:39   Link #607
klare

i find the conversation in eps 3 interesting, although no big things happened but i enjoyed it

Hitagi looks ok when she doesnt attack ppl with stationaries
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 11:22   Link #608
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Um, no. Hachikuji is a 10-year-old kid. Way too young to be "awesome", you sicko.

Wait. Senjogahara is not quite legal either.

(Oh sh*t. I'm lusting after a young girl's body. I'm so screwed. )

Maybe Oshino could help me out. I'll get to see a loli vampire too. Hmm.....
I said the characters were awesome, nothing about wanting to put my penis in them. Am I not allowed to think Yotsuba is cute and funny without it being sexual?
Old 2009-07-21, 11:56   Link #609
ProdigalSon
Ragnarocker

Since we're talking about favorites- the little sisters are so flipping moe.
That 20 seconds at the end of the 2nd episode were glorious, it also catered to my forehead fetish (you have to slow it down though, you only get for like a split second where their bangs lift up). I've been in forehead withdrawal without my weekly dose of Ritsu.

Back to the subject at hand though...

The idea of Koyomi being an emotional vampire, that avoids his own problems by dealing with others' is very interesting.

He can't/won't go home, but he is willing to help some other girl get back to her own home. In fact, he beats her into submission just for the opportunity of helping her

And this girl just happens to be around the same age as the sister he feels guilty for fighting with/disappointing. How very convenient!
ProdigalSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 12:36   Link #610
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalSon View Post
And this girl just happens to be around the same age as the sister he feels guilty for fighting with/disappointing. How very convenient!
Aren't his sisters in middle school though? Or, uh... I forget how the Japanese school system works... *googles* yeah, middle school.
Old 2009-07-21, 12:54   Link #611
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Aren't his sisters in middle school though? Or, uh... I forget how the Japanese school system works... *googles* yeah, middle school.
He also says "4 years younger" which puts her in second year middle school, which is about 13-14. I think.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 12:58   Link #612
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Don't forget his ahoge "standing to attention" in one scene lol.
Maho maho?
Old 2009-07-21, 13:03   Link #613
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Tsubasa's your favorite character isn't she sirn?
Not really. You can guess my favorite character from my avatar. But yeah, it's as apr said, the characters in this show are too awesome to decide.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 13:43   Link #614
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Maho maho?
That's an omega obscure reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
Not really. You can guess my favorite character from my avatar.
170 cm tall for a 14 years old girl... quite a scary combination
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 14:44   Link #615
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
That's an omega obscure reference
It's the obscure reference of the year.
Old 2009-07-21, 18:59   Link #616
ProdigalSon
Ragnarocker

Quote:
It's the obscure reference of the year.
Hopefully Shaft will be able to work in a kin-ai kani joke.
ProdigalSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 05:14   Link #617
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Some people are getting head aches? ...what?! on this dead simple show? (lol) This is sounding to me like "oh mygosh my head hurts trying to concentrate". I can only suggest you loosen up since you are likely too tense when watching it, expecting some stupid flashy fight or cliche fanservice or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Out of curiosity, how many people are watching the show with subtitles instead of raw? I suspect that they may be experiencing motion sickness because they are trying to read static words while images are moving quickly on screen.
Doubt it, the people complaining are seasoned, this should not be a issue. They are either too tense as I mentioned earlier or this is some pretty escuse they auto-suggest to themselvs to explain why they hate the show; this would not be the first time I see people indirectly-brag on being mature and licking philosophic shows, only to find they actually can't stand them. Newsflash! this is suppose to be entertainment, even if you find X and Y tolerable if you don't find anything likable in the show the you are wasting your god damn lives =P

If it makes anyone feel better no matter how much great names are in the show, no matter how hyped or praised a show is, you: 1) won't get smarter watching it, and 2) won't get dumber not licking it, 3) nobody likes every show of a genre anyway.
Old 2009-07-22, 09:31   Link #618
Dop
Mmmm....

I loved episode 3 - the DIALOGUE! Simple setting, two people messing around in a playground while having an intense conversation. That really worked for me.

Ah yes, the ahoge. Shinbo sure does like the ahoge. I was expecting a 'Maho' every time it moved.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 10:12   Link #619
Semantics
Ahhh, the irony.

I was sold on episode 2 actually. Episode 3 just convinced me of the genius. I especially loved the witty dialogue, with its sarcasm, double entendres, nuances, hints and suggestions. It may be confusing in its complexities at times, coupled with wonderfully psychedelic visuals and acute camera angles, but it's part of what, in my opinion, makes it work. The show does show hints of being rather abstract, and, I guess, is not for everyone.

Senjōgahara is an exceptionally fascinating character. And Araragi is not far behind too. They're almost like walking contradictions -- complex personas who are actually startlingly straightforward once you take a closer look. I can't wait for more episodes so they can be adequately dissected. Psychologically I mean.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 10:44   Link #620
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
Senjōgahara is an exceptionally fascinating character. And Araragi is not far behind too.
I was actually relieved when I saw she was as much of a bitch witch as before.

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural