AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-17, 07:05   Link #1
lordlucless

Getting back into the game

Ok, so I watched anime quite a bit while at University, then lost track of it all when real life started to kick in. Now I'm drifting back to see what's happened in the time I've been gone. Looking through the current series, I realize I've got no idea what any of them are about, nor about any series that may have come and gone in the last five years or so.

I like:
  • Slice-of-life
  • Near-future Sci-Fi/Urban Fantasy
  • Tragic or bittersweet overtones
  • Developing/Multi-dimensional characters
  • Romance as a sub-plot, or subtext
  • Intellectually engaging
  • "High" fantasy

I dislike:
  • Fanservice - be it nudity, gratuitious violence, or whatever. If it's not their to advance the plot, or character development, but only to titillate the viewer, I'm really not that interested.
  • Straight-up romance
  • Straight-up action
  • Disappointing endings
  • Ecchi/Yaoi
  • Random weird - aliens or androids showing up with no real rationale

I can put up with some of my dislikes, as long as the things I like are there. Some anime I liked:
  • I Can Hear the Sea (Ocean Waves)
  • Whisper of the Heart
  • Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
  • Planetes
  • Vision of Escaflowne
  • Kimi Ga Nozomou Eien
  • Full Metal Panic (although never got into Second Raid)
  • Mai Hime
  • Hikaru no Go
  • Angelic Layer
  • Gakuen Alice
  • Last Exile (except for the ending)
  • Spiral: Lines of Reason (except for the ending)
  • Kita He: Diamond Dust Drops

So, suggest away!
Old 2009-08-17, 07:10   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

You seem like you'd absolutely adore Twelve Kingdoms.
Old 2009-08-17, 07:32   Link #3
lordlucless

Thanks. Checked out a preview on the Madman site (I'm in Oz), and some other info, and it does indeed look pretty darn good. I'll have to wait till I can splash out the $100 for the box set though.
Old 2009-08-17, 07:38   Link #4
Scorch

Honey and Clover. It fits most of your likes (just not sci-fi or high fantasy). Best slice of life show of the decade imho.
Old 2009-08-17, 07:57   Link #5
lordlucless

I don't think I'd actually like a show that had all of my likes - it'd probably be freakin' weird. Just a few will do

Honey and Clover looks good, but licensed in the US, and not Australia, so probably not available to me.
Old 2009-08-17, 08:02   Link #6
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlucless View Post
I don't think I'd actually like a show that had all of my likes - it'd probably be freakin' weird. Just a few will do

Honey and Clover looks good, but licensed in the US, and not Australia, so probably not available to me.
From this we can conclude that suggesting any series that are available worldwide through torrent is a no good because you'd rather spend 100$ per series ? That sure narrows down the variety of anime. I'll post back once I've checked what series actually are available in Australia..
Old 2009-08-17, 08:10   Link #7
lordlucless

No, I don't mind torrenting them - but most anime trackers take down shows once they're licensed in the US. Even the anime I download while unlicensed, I'll usually buy when it is licensed (assuming I like it enough). Recommend any anime you like, I'll check up and see if it's licensed in Aus. If it's not now, it may be later, and I can chase it up then.
Old 2009-08-17, 08:14   Link #8
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

ah, well 12 kingdoms should be findable both for downlaod and stream, honey x c as well
Old 2009-08-17, 09:02   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Is there something that prohibits you from buying online from American distributors? I know people in the UK do that when shows aren't available there. DVDPacific carries the ten-disc collection of Twelve Kingdoms for $44.

Other shows you might want to consider:

"High fantasy"
Seirei no Moribito ("Moribito, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit" in English)
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Scrapped Princess
Guin Saga - currently airing; based on a famous series of novels begun in 1979
Kemono no Souja Erin

Other shows you might find particularly appealing:
Monster (intellectual, strong characterizations)
Kure-nai (slice-of-life, drama, strong characterizations)
Baccano! (intellectual, unusual setting in Prohibition America)
Mononoke (intellectual, tragic, fantasy)
Bartender (slice-of-life, bittersweet)
Shion no Ou (strong characterizations)
Nodame Cantabile (strong characterizations, some romance)

In general, these shows have adult characters and mature themes.
Old 2009-08-17, 09:31   Link #10
lordlucless

Nothing really stops me, except a general dislike of buying out-of-region DVDs. It's extra hassle trying to make sure whatever DVD player I'm using is region-free, a pain to lend them to friends, etc. I'd rather out-and-out pirate stuff than be forced to jump through hoops for the sake of technological protectionism.

I've seen (and own) Scrapped Princess, so you were pretty spot-on there :P
I watched the first twenty-or-so eps of Monster, but I found it starting to drag, persuing the same general conceit without any sign of progress towards completion. Maybe I should give it another try.

Of the others, Kemono no Souja Erin, Kurenai, Nodame Cantabile and Shion no Ou look good.
Old 2009-08-17, 09:39   Link #11
Shadow Kira01

Although I currently don't watch these sort of animes but I do know of many that fits the description quite good. Thus, here are some recommendations:

Black Lagoon: Its a story about a Japanese businessman who was tricked and betrayed by his superiors, abandoning him in the hands of some sea pirates but in the end.. The guy ended up joining the 3 individuals and went on a quest of sea pirating in the Carribeans. The series is getting a third season in 2010.

Death Note: Although I don't like the protagonist or the antagonists but got to admit.. Ohba-san is impressive to come up with such a story, plot twists, and battle strategies between multiple sides. Rather than debating whether Yagami Light is more intelligent or L is the genius, I'd say Tsugumi Ohba is the real one!

Ghost Hunt: I don't like the attitude of the protagonist but the story and overall plot itself is very good. The explanations for the supernatural phenomenons, as well as their style is also pretty impressive. There is a wide-range of methods: Shinto priestress (part-time), Buddhist Monk (part-time), Catholic priest (part-time), Spiritual medium (talento), and some other guy along with an ordinary high school girl. That's a 7-man team, I think.. Since I watched it awhile back, I don't really remember. It needs a second season yet it never got one. Funny thing is that most of the ecchi love comedies are getting second and third seasons along with tons of spinoffs and ovas, yet these good series get nothing as that they aren't popular.

Gundam Wing: Aside from the fact that there is a lack of mobile suit designs, the story is very good and well-developed. It starts off with 5 Gundams known as symbols of terrorism by the warmongers as that these pilots are not working as a team since they do not know each other and came from different space colonies with different objectives as that their superiors are different scientists who all know each other, not to mention similar Gundam designs. The guys also fight against themselves as that they don't know each other or their motives of any sort. Somehow, this story of war and terrorism is pretty much a metaphor for the real world back in the 90s. Space colonies are pretty much colonies, the warmongers are pretty much the United States and some parts of Europe; however.. The story is more focused on Europe as that the antagonists were pretty much European; both Treize and Millardo. As for the 5 Gundam pilots.. Heero Yuy is from Japan but that isn't his real name as that Heero Yuy is the name of an assassinated politician, Duo Maxwell is from the United States, Trowa Barton is just another assassin who stole the name of the man he killed, Quartre "Winner" Raberta is from the Middle East and the successor to a terrorist organization, while Chang Wufei is from China in which the guy acts like a justice freak. Relena Peacecraft is most likely from an ancient European pacifist nation which I can't seem to make out as which one; most likely a fictional one.

Higashi no Eden: The beginning of this series is very good but it turns out disappointing. At first, the anime seemed a lot like a Jason Bourne ripoff; the soundtrack and story was really impressive but somehow.. They had to went right ahead and ruined it. Midway into the series, the mysterious Bourne replica turned into a "saviour of the NEETs", then it ends with the guy copying off Lelouch Lamperouge of Code Geass. *facepalm* A great start which I had high expectations of turned out to be a major disappointment. How sad..

Kara no Kyoukai: This series of films has a very good story to it, as well as battles. However, it is dark-themed as that it is a TYPE-MOON production so you may or may not like it. Personally, I like the 5th movie best.

Persona -trinity soul-: The story doesn't really follow the RPG series but there are cameos from P3 who do little to nothing at all. Instead, the story follows a group of high school students in a different town, probably not Inaba or Iwatodai, don't remember. The story in regards to the "whale's feather" is very confusing but you should be able to understand it all by the end of the series. However, there were many complaints from Persona fans who had no clue what was going on even after the series ended.

Witch Hunter Robin: This anime is a bit older than the rest but it fits your description pretty good. I like the anime too but I currently don't feel like watching it. Lots of intellectual and supernatural battles, nothing else.

Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo: Oryo-san is a MPD superintendent who fights alongside her loyal servant..uh *cough*..subordinate with the rank of a lieutanent against career bureaucrats who are involved with the mafia, mad scientists, lavish spending, and has little concern for ordinary people as that their experiments and projects are threats to the safety and well-being of the ordinary people. The Self-Defense Force also got involved, as well as their agency which fights against Oryo-san's JACES. Unfortunately, her JACES also get infiltrated by government agents. Generally, its a battle of politics with many supernatural elements involved.

----
I have yet to finish watching these series which I can only suggest rather than recommend:

Interlude: The story is somewhat obscure at the beginning, kind of like drama but it has quite a plot twist near the end when you get an adequate explanation of what is going on. The story is also dark-themed. Its just a 3-episode ova though. It has something to do with SO3 or DDS, as well as zombie-like enemies.

Monster: A dark-themed tale of science which is something like Death Note but I have no clue as that I have never watched it.

Moonlight Mile: The story takes a realistic setting of space traveling; the lives of astronauts and other involved individuals. I have never watched it before so I have little clue. It does have a second season.

Real Drive: The story of a scuba diver who had an accident which caused him to fall into a comatose state for decades. When he wakes up, the world had changed into an advanced civilization leaving him handicapped. However, by utilizing a new type of technology, he can dive into a CG world within the computer program that enables the diver to regain his stamina and appearance during his youth to obtain sunken treasures, as well as other valuables. It is probably something like "the world is no more than a computer program" like many other animes and RPGs.

Trinity Blood: The protagonist is a priest who devours vampires and is suffering from poverty. The guy can barely avoid purchasing milk no matter how hungry and thirsty he is. He is capable of activating nano-bots inside of him to transform into a vampire-eater which fixes up his hunger. Generally, this is a vampire anime that is dark-themed. The priest from some church is very kind all the time until he goes into his berserker mode which is when he becomes more dangerous and problematic than vampires.

Tytania: This is a tale of politics and conquest featuring warmongers as protagonists. Its about the world/space domination of a certain empire involving mainly strategies, as well as spaceships.
Old 2009-08-17, 10:38   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The two series that stand out based on your stated likes and dislikes are Seirei no Moribito and Noein. The former has your high fantasy, intellectually engaging and developing strong characters check marks. The latter is sci-fi ish, also intellectual, possibly near-future (I don't remember if they stated that for certain). Both have a romantic subtext that isn't the main plot, and I would call both bittersweet.
Old 2009-08-17, 14:46   Link #13
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
My suggestions:

Cross Game
* Slice-of-life
* Tragic or bittersweet overtones
* Developing/Multi-dimensional characters
* Romance as a sub-plot, or subtext
* None of your dislikes

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
* Slice-of-life
* Tragic or bittersweet overtones (not currently, but to be expected in future seasons)
* Developing/Multi-dimensional characters (At first most of them appear to be cardboard cutouts, but that's just a mask they wear)
* Romance as a sub-plot, or subtext
* Intellectually engaging
* Fanservice - be it nudity, gratuitious violence, or whatever. If it's not their to advance the plot, or character development, but only to titillate the viewer, I'm really not that interested. (Does have light fanservice (bunny costumes), but it's mainly to advance the plot and establish characters, after which it tones down)
* Random weird - aliens or androids showing up with no real rationale (Requires patience, there is an explanation, it just isn't always presented right off.)

Fullmetal Alchemist (either or both adaptations)
* Near-future Sci-Fi/Urban Fantasy
* Romance as a sub-plot, or subtext (more in the Brotherhood adaptation)
* Intellectually engaging
* "High" fantasy
* Straight-up action
* Disappointing endings (I thought the ending of the first adaptation was a bit weak, not bad, just not at the level of the rest of the show which had set high expectations. Brotherhood should have a better ending.)

Maison Ikkoku
* Slice-of-life
* Fanservice - be it nudity, gratuitious violence, or whatever. If it's not their to advance the plot, or character development, but only to titillate the viewer, I'm really not that interested. (Pretty bad the first episode, but goes away after the first season)
* Straight-up romance (Heavily mixed with comedy- besides, it's one of the best romances out there, so even if usually you don't like romance this one will be tolerable)

Last edited by Sackett; 2009-08-18 at 11:49. Reason: Posting more ideas
Old 2009-08-18, 11:47   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Okay I think those are the best suggestions I can make. Hope they are useful.
Closed Thread