Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-15, 07:02   Link #1
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Some Good Current Manga

I'm trying to get into reading manga that is currently running, so I'm looking for some good suggestions. I'd prefer something with a relatively small backlog - something like 50-100 chapters a the most. I will take stuff that releases monthly, but I would prefer something coming out weekly.

Here's some of my favorite manga:

Gunslinger Girl
Jing: King of Bandits
Berserk
Vagabond
Soul Eater
Onani Master Kurosawa
Shoulder-a-Coffin Kuro

I generally like good fantasy action when it relies on characters, anything really character-driven really, and good slice-of-life.
Old 2009-10-15, 13:44   Link #2
SoulCorpse
WhO PuT BaKOn In My SoUP!

Interesting tatse you have their. Well you could try.

Pandora Hearts
Claymore
Hunter x Hunter
[Bleach and One Piece] these two have alot of chapters though

In the begining their was Cupcake, and Cupcake was with Gir, and Cupcake was Gir. With out Cupcake everything that is would not be.
Old 2009-10-15, 19:22   Link #3
jedinat

Hoshi no Samidare is a pretty, ah, unusual manga with some fantasy action; a bit more focused on characters than action.
Sengoku Youko is not bad, though it might be getting a little too shounen for my taste... (impending conflict with a series of high level baddies from an organization... )
Old 2009-10-15, 20:55   Link #4
LusterFlare
Lost.

I'd have to recommend Cross Game even though it's well over 100 chapters. Even if you don't know much about baseball (like me), you'll enjoy it. It's also one of the better Slice of Life mangas.
Old 2009-10-15, 22:42   Link #5
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Helen ESP, ONLY 1 Volumes!? *Complains. It is Fantasy, Horror and sounds like slice of life but not. Then I will recommend stuff like Full Metal Alchemist or something.

*Note, there is no weekly or monthly release with Helen because dammit shounens ... indeed.
Old 2009-10-16, 00:56   Link #6
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I read: Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Claymore, Gantz, Hunter X Hunter, Berserk.
Old 2009-10-16, 21:17   Link #7
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

@crowncl: I've been considering Pandora Hearts and Claymore, so may check out. Not interested in others.

@jedinat: Those both look great, but neither seems to be getting scanslated in a timely manner. I want to read something that will be coming out on-time.

@LusterFlare: Not interested, though I'll probably watch the anime one day.

@Izayoi: I'm confused - are you saying only 1 volume is out, or only 1 exists?

Albafica: I love Berserk and am interested in Claymore, but I have no interest in any of the others you've mentioned.
Old 2009-10-16, 21:44   Link #8
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Rosario Vampire Season 1 and Season 2(ongoing)

You won't regret it. But ignore the anime, it was utter garbage.
Old 2009-10-16, 22:02   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Rosario Vampire Season 1 and Season 2(ongoing)

You won't regret it. But ignore the anime, it was utter garbage.
This doesn't look like it should appeal to my interests in any way, shape, or form. I don't like harems, romantic comedies, or the character designs from what I've seen. PASS.
Old 2009-10-16, 22:04   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
@jedinat: Those both look great, but neither seems to be getting scanslated in a timely manner. I want to read something that will be coming out on-time.
Well, you have me at a loss then, lol. Those are about as timely as they get in my experience (i.e. not timely, but not utterly stalled either). I've got 187 manga I'm tentatively following, and none of them get consistent releases.
Old 2009-10-16, 23:41   Link #11
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
This doesn't look like it should appeal to my interests in any way, shape, or form. I don't like harems, romantic comedies, or the character designs from what I've seen. PASS.
It does have some romantic comedy aspects and it is a harem in the respects that all the girls are after the guy. But thats not what the story is about. Exactly how far have you seen it? dropping it after the first few chapters is a big mistake.

You're missing out on things like this:

Spoiler for manga images:

and much more. There's a reason why R+V is the number #1 manga thread in these forums.
Old 2009-10-17, 00:05   Link #12
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Well, you have me at a loss then, lol. Those are about as timely as they get in my experience (i.e. not timely, but not utterly stalled either). I've got 187 manga I'm tentatively following, and none of them get consistent releases.
Well the fist one said there were 7 vols out and only 4 scanslated. I mean maybe the series is comign out consistently, but it seems to be way behind the publication. And the second one said it's been 45 days since the last release... and it's monthly publicaiton.

Now, mind, you I'm very new to the world of currently running manga, but I'm pretty sure Soul Eater was translated within days of release in the latest chapter, and the Jump stuff all seems to come out in a timely manner. Maybe my expectations are too high?

I should probably explain that the reason I want to follow something current is that I want to blog currently running series, so it helps to be something that really gets released.

EDIT: Although now that I think of it, if the group is releasing consistently, I guess I could blog their releases anyway.

also, @hayashitakara: What I see there is boring character design and some dramatic moments that do not appear to be the make-up of a cool fight. I like my battles to be composed with a lot of quickness and cinematic quality. Soul Eater is a perfect example.

EDIT: One more thing, since starting this search, I've picked up Exorcist of Blue and Manga no Tsukurikata, which are both great. More like that, plz.

Last edited by Deus ex Digital Boy; 2009-10-17 at 00:32.
Old 2009-10-17, 01:02   Link #13
james0246

Strong second for Hoshi no Samidare ~ Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Even if you do not read it now, try and keep a reminder for it so you can check it out in half a year or so (then again, someone will probably just remind you of the title in half a year if you post another thread asking for recommendation for manga during that time period ).

How about:

Shin Angyo Onshi - completed now, with all 75 chapters currently available.
Vinland Saga - 50 some chapters available.
Kiseijuu - more horror than fantasy, but still really good series. Complete at 60 some chapters.

More slice-of-life type manga (less dark fantasy):

Historie - Strong characters, and kind of a historical slice-of-life . 50 some chapters avaliable.
Usagi Drop - very good and very cute series. 25 long chapters (40 some pages each) have been released so far, but there is an irregular schedule.

Damn, probably too short...

Bakuman? 50 some chapters long, and still continuing...yeah, that should do...

Damn, evey other title I can think of is probably too short or too old...

Here's hoping you can find something in the "darker" titles....

Last edited by james0246; 2009-10-17 at 01:13.
Old 2009-10-17, 01:05   Link #14
jedinat

Quote:
Now, mind, you I'm very new to the world of currently running manga, but I'm pretty sure Soul Eater was translated within days of release in the latest chapter, and the Jump stuff all seems to come out in a timely manner. Maybe my expectations are too high?
Well that might explain our differing perceptions... the only Jump manga I've been reading is Beelzebub and that gets fairly rapid releases; probably the most consistent of any manga I've read recently (I almost mentioned it actually for that reason). I do tend to gravitate toward less popular manga I guess.

Quote:
EDIT: One more thing, since starting this search, I've picked up Exorcist of Blue and Manga no Tsukurikata, which are both great. More like that, plz.
Manga no Tsukurikata is great.

You might check out Gamaran and Amanchu!, two new manga I just came across... the latter I haven't even read yet (but it's from the creator of Aria!).
Old 2009-10-17, 01:18   Link #15
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Well the fist one said there were 7 vols out and only 4 scanslated. I mean maybe the series is comign out consistently, but it seems to be way behind the publication. And the second one said it's been 45 days since the last release... and it's monthly publicaiton.

I should probably explain that the reason I want to follow something current is that I want to blog currently running series, so it helps to be something that really gets released.

EDIT: Although now that I think of it, if the group is releasing consistently, I guess I could blog their releases anyway.

also, @hayashitakara: What I see there is boring character design and some dramatic moments that do not appear to be the make-up of a cool fight. I like my battles to be composed with a lot of quickness and cinematic quality. Soul Eater is a perfect example.

Well your loss, we all have different tastes. While you're praising Soul Eater, I think its a "meh" series with "meh" designs. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 2009-10-18, 14:10   Link #16
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
the manga of Kekkaishi and Fairy Tail =3
Old 2009-10-18, 15:27   Link #17
signorRossi

Strongly second Vinland Saga, Historie i also quite decent.
Closed Thread