AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-07-29, 23:26   Link #41
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Actually doppelganger is pretty far off. In most senses it means a "ghost" or "evil being". Im sure you are thinking, well its like a ghost copy of Naruto. Well no, a doppleganger is evil, and has mind of its own. Clone would be a much more closer/appropriate term, as its a clone of Naruto himself, not an evil being copying Narutos image and trying to kill him....

Not only that, "art of the doppelganger" sounds HORRIBLE, of course thats my opinion.

From what i have heard here, it seems they have slightly messed up the plot. Naruto is supposed to think Hinata is shy, and a little wierd only because she stares at him then looks away. What he says about her is like he completely hates her for no apparent reason.

EDIT

Heres some more proof, if you like you could look around, but basically a doppelganger is what i said, heres a quote from this site http://www.darkensouls.com/ghost/types.htm

Quote:
An exact copy of a person's souls would appear which in legend would foretell of one's own death. The spirit would at times roam freely into the world as a copy of a person and at time can take a physical form. There is a warning that if a person meets up with his or her doppelganger, death will soon follow.

Last edited by Dauthi; 2004-07-29 at 23:40.
Dauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 02:43   Link #42
Juice
Delete this account

Well lets review here:

1. Kage Bunshin No Jutsu is Art Of The Doppelganger
2. Sexy No Jutsu is Ninja Center Fold
3. The Hinata "Freak" Issue
4. Sharingan is mirror wheel eye
5. Chidori is Lightning Edge
5. They changed all the endings of the names (Sama, Sensei, Kun)
6. Name changes AKA Garaa being Gara and Gai becoming Guy
7. Naruto spouting off stupid phrases such as "I Rule you drool!"

The list can go on and on

To sum this all up, The VIZ Translations suck and they should be ashamed of what they did to Naruto
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 02:51   Link #43
desi786

quick question here. (first time poster, long time reader.)im not an anime hardcore finatic so ill sound like a "newb" here, but if the american company licenses naruto, dus the japanese anime company still make the episodes or dus the american company make them?
desi786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 02:57   Link #44
Don Roberto
President of Euroslavia

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi786
quick question here. (first time poster, long time reader.)im not an anime hardcore finatic so ill sound like a "newb" here, but if the american company licenses naruto, dus the japanese anime company still make the episodes or dus the american company make them?
The Japanese Company still makes it. But due to licensing it the American company is allowed to bring it over hear and defil- I mean americanize it.
Don Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 03:21   Link #45
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice
Well lets review here:

To sum this all up, The VIZ Translations suck and they should be ashamed of what they did to Naruto
And let's look at that.
1. Translation choice--also regarding the above post by Dauthi. You mentioned that a doppelganer has a mind of its own. Each of Naruto's 分身 has a mind of his own--just look at how that fight over bathroom use when the diarrhea set in.

2. Sexy no Jutsu--maybe they want to avoid the word "sex"?

3. Hinata as a "freak"--maybe a little over the top.

4. Sharingan as Mirror Wheel Eye--already covered. Read my other post.

5. Chidori as Lightning Edge--When Kakashi first began using what is now known as 千鳥 , the very same technique was known as 雷切 -- and Lightning Edge is very appropriate. In fact, I'm sure that in the TV episode fansubbed by A&A uses that same term--"Lightning Edge"--as a translation of 雷切 .

5. (?) Honorifics are not going to get kept in what is intended to be a popular American franchise.

6.1 Gaara as Gara? Hmm... that's something, maybe a typo? I'll keep my eyes on that.

6.2 Gai as Guy... the name is マイト・ガイ , what's quite obviously an Engrish pronounciation of "Might Guy." Plus not everybody knows not to pronounce "Gai" as "Gay."

7. Naruto's a kid--why not?
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 03:35   Link #46
Dez
Speshul

Send a message via AIM to Dez
Quote:
Well lets review here:

Eh. A few of your points are pretty minor.

4) A literal translation.

5) Raikiri is called the lightening edge, another literal translation.

5.2) The endings you're talking about are honorifics that don't translate to english. (at least you can't complain about Sakura saying "Sasuke-Kun")

6) Different spellings, approximately the same pronounciation. Don't see the problem.

I'll give you 1, 2 and 3. I don't remember Naruto saying 7, but it does sound Naruto-ish.

Edit: I didn't see Melazoma's post. That's what I get for leaving the browser window open for twenty minutes before I reply.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 03:42   Link #47
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
Eh. A few of your points are pretty minor.

4) A literal translation.

5) Raikiri is called the lightening edge, another literal translation.

5.2) The endings you're talking about are honorifics that don't translate to english. (at least you can't complain about Sakura saying "Sasuke-Kun")

6) Different spellings, approximately the same pronounciation. Don't see the problem.

I'll give you 1, 2 and 3. I don't remember Naruto saying 7.

Edit: I didn't see Melazoma's post. That's what I get for leaving the browser window open for twenty minutes before I reply.
Actually, I'm hoping the name Gaara stays intact and this new "Gara" is more or less a typo or something of an oversight. Everything else though, yes, I couldn't care less.
Old 2004-07-30, 03:44   Link #48
raikage
日本語を食べません!

2) Sexy-no-Jutsu is a translation. The original is おいろけの術 - oiroke no jutsu. But, you don't see that in the anime (or at least none of the anime I've seen) or scanslated manga.

P.S. It's pretty cool to have my own theme music courtesy of OhJustSomeRandomGuy. Thanks!
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 11:28   Link #49
eLstar
(^_^)v

In the last Shonen Jump they changed it back to "Gaara" instead of "Gara". Either it was a typo (which would prove our BAD editing point), or they decided to back down on trying to change it because of the pissed off Naruto fanboys/girls that they would have to deal with. No doubt, a lot of them have complaints about the translations.

Also, this one is just my little problem. I don't really like how they use "Master" instead of "Sensei". I know they basically mean the same thing, but I just like that word.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 12:04   Link #50
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranz
In the last Shonen Jump they changed it back to "Gaara" instead of "Gara". Either it was a typo (which would prove our BAD editing point), or they decided to back down on trying to change it because of the pissed off Naruto fanboys/girls that they would have to deal with. No doubt, a lot of them have complaints about the translations.

Also, this one is just my little problem. I don't really like how they use "Master" instead of "Sensei". I know they basically mean the same thing, but I just like that word.
Well, if they've actually decided to use "Gara" instead of "Gaara"--as opposed to a typo--Viz would have crossed a line and I'd be with the fanboys already simply because Gara != Gaara. Every other "flaw" that has been pointed out has some editorial wiggle room.
Old 2004-07-30, 12:51   Link #51
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
And let's look at that.
1. Translation choice--also regarding the above post by Dauthi. You mentioned that a doppelganer has a mind of its own. Each of Naruto's 分身 has a mind of his own--just look at how that fight over bathroom use when the diarrhea set in.

Kind of, however the fact that its supposed to be an evil apparition makes it not fit. Like i said clone works better in every aspect, and doesnt sound as lame.
Old 2004-07-30, 13:00   Link #52
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranz
"LEROY!!! Who's the MASTER!?"

Gara vs. Gaara is exactly what I'm talking about. That's just bad editing. You can argue the aestethics all you want, but you can't make a case for not doing your damn job, especially since some of the mistakes I've seen would have been caught by a spellchecker.

Gai vs. Guy is a no issue. As far as I'm concerned it's SUPPOSED to be spelled "Guy" because "Gai" and "Guy" would both spelled in katakana the exact same way. Spelling it "Guy" seems to fit his over-the-top cheesy personality better, so I'd been spelling it that way the whole time.

Raikage, you have your own theme music, but it's done by a hair band who would have done the music for the Sega CD games.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-30, 13:02   Link #53
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
Gara vs. Gaara is exactly what I'm talking about. That's just bad editing. You can argue the aestethics all you want, but you can't make a case for not doing your damn job, especially since some of the mistakes I've seen would have been caught by a spellchecker.
Sometimes they just use cut and paste. Like with my example with Asuma introducing himself as Kurenei. I have never seen One Piece have that kind of mistake, or Hikaru No Go. Hell, it's Dragonballz and Yu-gi-oh! and Kenshin that get the best treatment. Naruto is by far Viz worst product in my opinion.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 00:11   Link #54
aznincantation
Anime Heaven Fansubbers

Send a message via AIM to aznincantation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
Well, if they've actually decided to use "Gara" instead of "Gaara"--as opposed to a typo--Viz would have crossed a line and I'd be with the fanboys already simply because Gara != Gaara. Every other "flaw" that has been pointed out has some editorial wiggle room.
I deeply apologize for going off topic, but a question for Melazoma: (Nothing to do with the quote by the way)

What anime is your avatar based off of?

Sorry for any English grammatical errors I might have.
aznincantation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 00:47   Link #55
shinobineko

Actually I think that Viz's translation really suck, compared to the other manga they do. They could do a lot better with naruto translations. I don't know if anyone's seen the recent release in Shonen Jump, but when I read that I was really dissapointed... so now the Hyuuga are evil or something? Byakuga becomes "Evil Eye" ..now what kind of junk is that.....and Ino's shiten no jutsu becomes "art of the valentine"? ... yeah i can really imagine her dad using a jutsu nammed art of the valentine..and that sounds very lame for a ninja tech. and Kurasu is called 'scarecrow' I could go on... target audience or not, a lot of how they translated is bad, I seriously hope when Naruto anime gets liscened they don't use Viz's translations.
shinobineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 03:08   Link #56
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
first time i opened Viz Translated Naruto in Barnes and Noble.
A Chill ran through my back.
Doppelganger???
omg.....
but i get the korean version.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 12:59   Link #57
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobineko
Actually I think that Viz's translation really suck, compared to the other manga they do. They could do a lot better with naruto translations. I don't know if anyone's seen the recent release in Shonen Jump, but when I read that I was really dissapointed... so now the Hyuuga are evil or something? Byakuga becomes "Evil Eye" ..now what kind of junk is that.....and Ino's shiten no jutsu becomes "art of the valentine"? ... yeah i can really imagine her dad using a jutsu nammed art of the valentine..and that sounds very lame for a ninja tech. and Kurasu is called 'scarecrow' I could go on... target audience or not, a lot of how they translated is bad, I seriously hope when Naruto anime gets liscened they don't use Viz's translations.

MY god... art of the valentine? People are actually sticking up for this garbage translation? How does switching bodies = valentine?
Old 2004-08-01, 13:19   Link #58
AssertnFailure
Where's the ladies?

Quote:
Well lets review here:
how do you know garaa (actually its "gaara") is correct and gara is wrong?
maybe the first group to translate it decided to spell it gaara and the other groups followed along....all i know is ive never seen any "official" english spelling of gaara's name, with the exception of a little shuriken keychain imported from japan that i have, which has his name spelled as "Gara"

and gai....well.....same for him......except in the earlier appearances ive actually seen different translations of his name
AssertnFailure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 13:35   Link #59
kirika

the same happened in france on the manga, ( yes i'm french).

for example kage bushu no justu was translated in "multi clonage", sharingan wasn't translate, and the -kun, sensei ... , disappeared.

the worst was the translation of the justu of the guy with the dog, they translate the justu where i mixed with his dog ( half beast no jutsu) in "la danse du chien " ( the dance of the dog translated word by word in english).

the problem was they translated a few sentences very bad , transforming the sense, for example about the sharingan, that said that kakashi has got family link with sasuke, or something like that, but it' s all wrong.
kirika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 13:47   Link #60
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssertnFailure
how do you know garaa (actually its "gaara") is correct and gara is wrong?
maybe the first group to translate it decided to spell it gaara and the other groups followed along....all i know is ive never seen any "official" english spelling of gaara's name, with the exception of a little shuriken keychain imported from japan that i have, which has his name spelled as "Gara"

and gai....well.....same for him......except in the earlier appearances ive actually seen different translations of his name
Because his name is 我愛羅 - ガアラ - gaara, not gara. You can hear the difference when people say his name - the 'a' sound is extended.

It's not unheard of for translators to drop off repeat letters (for whatever reason) which is why 東京 is written as Tokyo instead of Toukyou, I remember some names that were shortened like this but I can't remember what they were...
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote