AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-12, 16:41   Link #41
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

I love slow paced shows, i think they give rise to some really good stories and character developments. However this one sent to sleep.

Possibly the animation style, i just couldnt seem to get it, who knows, but it is as bad as Fafner :P

But like Fafner it has some decent music, i give Fafner 10 out 10 for music scores
Old 2004-10-12, 16:50   Link #42
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Well I guess you're entitled to your opinion even though its wrong. I'd suggest that you don't post in this thread then because there are plenty of people who'd like to stamp you into the dust for such an opinion, so this is practically trolling.

It's a good thing we're more easy going than Naruto fans.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-10-12, 17:19   Link #43
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Naruto sucks aswell!!! (jk)

Seriously though, shows like this that i dont like i tend to come back to later on when there's 5 or 6 episodes out. They tend to have a habbit of starting out naff and becoming really good, course the reverse is true aswell. I mean i used to love Fafner till they killed my fave char, but atleast she went out in a rage :P

We'll see what the future holds, maybe it'll get better, or enough so i can watch it without falling asleep
Old 2004-10-14, 16:49   Link #44
ultrataro

I fully respect your opinion. When I've made reviews on this show, I've stated that to me, it is the standout show of this season so far, but also state that I think there are many who won't really like it. The quiet and slower pacing won't appeal to some, & I know it. Yokohama Kaidashi is like that too, I like it, but I can see some people being put to sleep by it.
Old 2004-10-15, 15:08   Link #45
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
In the fall anime review thread, I thought that this wouldn't be a very good show to watch either. I had nothing else to watch at the moment so I figured why the f*** not. The flying cats and people not seeming to care kind of threw me off. I'm not sure if they noticed them or didn't but it seemed like they did. I'd be worried about cat poo, hairballs, or even a whole cat falling on me. The 2nd ep really does pick up things a bit. The wind festival was pretty cool. I'm wondering if what the main character said at the end was true
Spoiler for not sure if it's needed but jic:
Old 2004-10-15, 17:36   Link #46
Russelwhite
GRAND MASTER EURO SENNIN

Location: Deaths House....the one with the multidimensional golf course...
Send a message via MSN to Russelwhite
Unhappy

does anyone else have problems connecting to their tracker (deathsquad)? I cant seem to connect....never had this problem but suddenly I cant get windy tales or gankutsuou....no fire wall or anything it just wont connect. Somewhat desperate because windy tales had a very good first ep (could connect to that one).

Darcy White
Old 2004-10-15, 20:53   Link #47
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelwhite
does anyone else have problems connecting to their tracker (deathsquad)?
I didn't have a problem. Was it you or someone else that has a thread somewhere else asking about this? If it was you, then maybe you're the only one.

I'm using the latest Azureus and I'm behind a firewall with ports mapped.
Old 2004-10-15, 21:47   Link #48
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Interestingly enough, I didn't like this series when I first started out. Strangely enough, it's quickly growing on me. It kind of reminds me of Piano, except this has quirky artwork and flying cats. o_0
Old 2004-10-15, 23:00   Link #49
Alterscape

Spoiler contains thoughts on the 3rd ep

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-16, 09:59   Link #50
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterscape
Spoiler contains thoughts on the 3rd ep

Spoiler:
Well it is "Windy Tales". It should focus on characters that have something to do with wind. Putting them all in the same place either makes the story easier to tell (since you can have familiar characters interacting with eachother) or perhaps it's to show that in some way the wind is a part of anyone's life.
Old 2004-10-16, 17:45   Link #51
Russelwhite
GRAND MASTER EURO SENNIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I didn't have a problem. Was it you or someone else that has a thread somewhere else asking about this? If it was you, then maybe you're the only one.

I'm using the latest Azureus and I'm behind a firewall with ports mapped.
no, I didnt know about the other thread before...but I am curious as to what you mean when you say ports mapped (is that just ports open for use?). Meh... im sure I can just dl it at school while I study and burn it there. thanks for the reference tho.
Darcy White
Old 2004-10-16, 18:37   Link #52
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelwhite
I am curious as to what you mean when you say ports mapped (is that just ports open for use?).
It means to open the ports in the firewall so data can get to the computer. If you're not behind a firewall, you won't have to worry about it.

Did you find the thread about someone having problems connecting to the deathsquad tracker? I can't find it now. There weren't any replies to it when I saw it last so I don't know if there was a fix or anything.
Old 2004-10-17, 00:23   Link #53
Russelwhite
GRAND MASTER EURO SENNIN

Quote:
It means to open the ports in the firewall so data can get to the computer. If you're not behind a firewall, you won't have to worry about it.

Did you find the thread about someone having problems connecting to the deathsquad tracker? I can't find it now. There weren't any replies to it when I saw it last so I don't know if there was a fix or anything.
tried looking but to no avail....not such a major problem for me because my friend (who lives with me) is pretty cool about my dling using his comp and he is able to get it....somehow......still eludes me as to how exactly because we are using not only the same connection but also the same hub....interesting. But again not too important if you spot that thread in your travels (if it has anything significant in it) let me know otherwise dont bother. Gotta say though i am most impressed with the animation style in windy tales....reminds me of kill bill and the last short film on the animatrix... I honestly believe that I like this animation style better than some of the more mainstream stuff (sometimes I cant really tell series apart they are all drawn so similarly). I do hope that this series encourages more variety in style.
meh food for thought
thanks anyway
Darcy White
Old 2004-10-18, 04:47   Link #54
u&t

Quote:
Well it is "Windy Tales". It should focus on characters that have something to do with wind. Putting them all in the same place either makes the story easier to tell (since you can have familiar characters interacting with eachother) or perhaps it's to show that in some way the wind is a part of anyone's life.
Hmm, the way I see it the wind i just used to give coherency and tie stories together. he main focus of the show is, err... hmmm....

It's about getting high. Theme of ep 2 was love. Love gets you high. Theme of ep 3 was running. It had the best description of runners high I've ever seen in any show. Brough tears to my eyes really (and yes you really can feel the wind, it's one of the wonderful things about it). Ep 4 is a bit trickier to describe but it did have a fair amount of flying in it, pretty good indication of being high to me. Maybe the theme was raising and finally letting go of a child. Don't know if that makes you "high" but that Jun kid did seem pretty content at the end.

Also the flying cat does look pretty stoned to me :-)
Old 2004-10-18, 09:13   Link #55
Alterscape

Interesting take on the theme..

I agree with what you're saying about putting the characters all in one place to be good, but having four (so far) characters run into eachother coincidentally and be like "I like wind!" ... "OMFG, so do I!" just ruins the suspension of disbelief for me, which is a shame, because Windy Tales has such an awesome, atmospheric world. I wish the characters had been shown becoming interested in wind due to something one of the other characters said, or something -- I know I'm explaining that poorly, but some sort of story-motivated change, rather than just "oh, we all like wind."

But it's a nitpick. Overall, I still love the feel of this series... I'm very glad that all the characters seem to have lives beyond their interest in wind, which sets the series apart from the Angelic Layer effect type crap I talked about in my last post.. ^_^
Old 2004-10-18, 10:50   Link #56
u&t

The way I see it Nao is the only one that has a true interest in wind. She is the one always trying to take pictures of it after all...

The running girl didn't strike me as anyone particurlary interested in wind. She was just using those words describing the feeling she had while running. I may have to rewatch the episode because I don't remember the exact words but when she said it I just had this wonderful "it's summer and I'm running" flashback.
Old 2004-10-18, 15:21   Link #57
ultrataro

yeah, I don't really find the 'I like the wind' thing overly coincidental & convenient. It's so broad. It's like living here and meeting someone and saying I like the ocean, oh, i like the ocean too! Nothing strange about it, it happen all the time.
I really like the show so far. I think the wind village & the teacher is sure to figure into the show again, but i like how these episodes aren't about it. Kinda gives it a more slice of life feel as this show seems more like about Nao. Just as in Ghibli movies that i really like, the maincharacter becomes someone I can identify with & feel. No matter how fantastical, otherworldly, or realistic the world is, I can identify with how the characters feel and that ultimately is what makes the shows work for me.
Old 2004-10-19, 01:33   Link #58
taeli
whore

I really, really, really love this show ^_^. It's my fave of all the new shows this season by far.

I love the characterisation. They way they characters talk to each other always smacks of reality. Like the little conversations they have that have _nothing_ to do with any sort of plot development. lol, the silent conversation in episode 4 was the kawaiist thing ever! (and possibly the cleverest use of composition I've seen in an anime for a while)

The animation is beautiful too. I can't believe someone said it looked cheap! The motion is so smooth and detailed. Plus it's break from nearly all the cliched anime conventions - characters with realistic hair colours and shapes - no surreal pink eyes - young teens who look like young teens - no giant sweat drops or red vein crosses - omg etc.

The theme of the show is what ties it together tho. It doesn't need an Important Plot (tm) or strained comedy to be enjoyable. It's enjoyable just through it's subtly happy existence.

I enjoy it in a similar way to which I enjoyed a lot of Haibane, which I also adore. From what other Windy Tales fans have said here I really want to watch Someday's Dreamers and I'm already downloading YKK
Old 2004-10-19, 19:53   Link #59
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I have to say that this one has totally surprised me. At first I wrote it off. Didn't like it. Then I thought about it again and kept the episodes around that I had watched cause I figured to give it a second chance for the heck of it. By Ep4 I was hooked and glad I stuck with this anime. Especially since there's very few good anime this season. T_T But the few there are happen to be gems.
Old 2004-10-19, 19:56   Link #60
ultrataro

I don't know quite about realistic shapes, the character designs are quite stylized. I don't think I've seen too many middle school girls with hips like those. But I know what you mean, there's lots of little touches that give it that 'real' feel. Things like Nao drinking her soda & having that little burp.
So has no one else in the town noticed a cat floating around in the air?

Oh, and try and find YKK manga if you're inclined. I know there's a scanlation around and it's wonderful. I've got a bunch of original Japanese volumes. One of my favorite nonplot stories from it was the young boy napping with the younger girl neighbor w/crush (literaly) on him & the dream it causes. If I remember right, there was no dialog in that story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taeli

The animation is beautiful too. I can't believe someone said it looked cheap! The motion is so smooth and detailed. Plus it's break from nearly all the cliched anime conventions - characters with realistic hair colours and shapes - no surreal pink eyes - young teens who look like young teens - no giant sweat drops or red vein crosses - omg etc.

The theme of the show is what ties it together tho. It doesn't need an Important Plot (tm) or strained comedy to be enjoyable. It's enjoyable just through it's subtly happy existence.

I enjoy it in a similar way to which I enjoyed a lot of Haibane, which I also adore. From what other Windy Tales fans have said here I really want to watch Someday's Dreamers and I'm already downloading YKK
Closed Thread