AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-05, 09:27   Link #701
cbfox99
Scrumy!

Damn it! You got yours already?!! LUCKY!!!! I ordered from anime corner, I hope they at least ship this week. How exciting, can't wait!
Old 2011-09-05, 17:03   Link #702
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfox99 View Post
Damn it! You got yours already?!! LUCKY!!!! I ordered from anime corner, I hope they at least ship this week. How exciting, can't wait!
I ordered my copy from Amazon once I saw that people started receiving theirs. All signs point to a two-week wait for me. Oh well.
Old 2011-09-09, 13:00   Link #703
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

I ordered mine from Bandai on Monday night, they shipped it Tuesday afternoon, and I got it Thursday.
Old 2011-10-29, 15:39   Link #704
Nerroth
NePoi!

In case anyone back in Ireland is reading this, there will be a travelling film festival with screenings of TDoHS in different parts of the country next month.
Old 2011-11-05, 16:47   Link #705
panpanpanpanmelonpan
Mikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
In case anyone back in Ireland is reading this, there will be a travelling film festival with screenings of TDoHS in different parts of the country next month.
Awesome. I can attend the last one, so I can't wait! :3
Old 2011-11-14, 23:32   Link #706
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was exactly the kind of experience I've come to expect from this series, but there was definitely a sense that the series has stopped playing around and is looking to make some relatively significant progress from here on out. Indeed, what was once a relatively fun franchise sets out to become more serious.

And consequently get ahead of itself along the way.

Part of the reason I take issue with the series suddenly taking itself seriously are the liberties it takes with its narrative. While Nagato managing to supersede Haruhi's powers brings a sense of vulnerability to the latter's character, it undermines the point of watching over the titular character in the first place; perhaps Suzumiya's abilities are not fully developed yet, but when "God" is overrided by the "servant", I'm probably not the only one who isn't going to swallow that.

Then there's the matter of the time paradox towards the end of the movie where Kyon has to go back to save himself. Personally speaking, the time loop makes no sense, as what is the point of saving himself if he already survived and furthermore, when did he "first" travel back in time? I know a later novel covers the trip in detail, but really a good movie should be able to stand on its own, or at least for one that's part of a series, not to leave any threads answered by upcoming events.

I have no problem with a series deciding to take itself seriously, but the aspects which affect the plot should be tackled honestly as well.

Still, this is hardly enough to affect the value of the film by any significant amount. Because more than a hard science-fiction series where reality is at stake, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is a movie about self-realization, or in Yuki's case, self-admittance. And indeed, Nagato gets some significant development in this installment, so much so that I often muse that the movie should be called "The Melancholy of Yuki Nagato."

But I digress. We see a different side to many characters who were previously just a tad one-dimensional; we see Tsuruya portray a protective side for her friends when she steps between Kyon and Mikuru; we see Haruhi actually behaving like a normal girl at least before Kyon spills the beans on his situation, and most of all we see a side to Yuki that is, perhaps, her bottled emotions (in a pinch I'd ship Kyon and Nagato, but that's another story for another day).

And of course there's our (un)reliable narrator himself. His want to bring the world back to the way it was, while predictable, was more about the journey itself. KyoAni once again shows their capacity to create a good drama out of anything, never going over the top, but never glossing over the events in realistic/cynical fashion, because our main character is sarcastic enough already.

If there's one thing I'm still apprehensive about, it's where the series goes from here. As a stand-alone movie it's nothing short of incredible, but how well is this going to fit in the long run? Only time will tell, but for now the fifth slot on my favorites list has disappeared with the appearance of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-11-15, 22:34   Link #707
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
While Nagato managing to supersede Haruhi's powers brings a sense of vulnerability to the latter's character, it undermines the point of watching over the titular character in the first place; perhaps Suzumiya's abilities are not fully developed yet, but when "God" is overrided by the "servant", I'm probably not the only one who isn't going to swallow that.
I thought it was more like trying to steer a charging bull in the direction that you want--Yuki wasn't actually in command of Haruhi's powers so much as she duped them into executing her request, sort of like a hacker injecting a command into a computer's code without actually taking full control of the system.

Quote:
Then there's the matter of the time paradox towards the end of the movie where Kyon has to go back to save himself. Personally speaking, the time loop makes no sense, as what is the point of saving himself if he already survived and furthermore, when did he "first" travel back in time? I know a later novel covers the trip in detail, but really a good movie should be able to stand on its own, or at least for one that's part of a series, not to leave any threads answered by upcoming events.
Time in the Haruhiverse does not strictly flow from cause to effect, but instead all aspects of a moment in time come into being "all at once". Several times in the series, time is described as being like frames in a movie film reel, with each frame existing by itself independent of the ones before and after, and time travelers being "edited into" the frames in which they appear. Thus, Kyon's rescue of himself has "already happened" right from the start--there never was any "original" timeline where the time travel didn't happen.
Old 2011-11-15, 23:25   Link #708
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Also gives the effect of wanting more. If nothing else, to see what happened and when.

Also the hope that maybe...someday...we will see Yuki smile again.
Old 2011-11-16, 06:46   Link #709
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Time in the Haruhiverse does not strictly flow from cause to effect, but instead all aspects of a moment in time come into being "all at once". Several times in the series, time is described as being like frames in a movie film reel, with each frame existing by itself independent of the ones before and after, and time travelers being "edited into" the frames in which they appear. Thus, Kyon's rescue of himself has "already happened" right from the start--there never was any "original" timeline where the time travel didn't happen.
I'm saying that there had to have been a point where a Kyon who wasn't aware of his past self's circumstances (and likely not sent to the "disappearance" world) was informed to save himself. The question then becomes when or even if Mikuru or the like plastered themselves in those said frames. Because if there isn't it would make even less sense than it already does, and it really doesn't help that the only indication of time travel we get is Kyon's passing mention of the one more trip he has to make...except he has no reason to go back seeing as he survived, but the "original"/"edited into" Kyon/Asahina/whoever would.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-11-16, 11:58   Link #710
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Akito, it's TOTALLY not worth your time to argue time travel. I did so for pages and pages when I first joined the site, and the counter-argument inevitably boils down to "well the author says it works so that had darn well better be good enough for everyone." How do you argue against "it works because it works"?

Last edited by Gamer_2k4; 2011-11-16 at 22:24.
Old 2011-11-16, 17:47   Link #711
Tacoshuriken
Tasty Ninja Weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Akito, it's TOTALLY not worth your time to argue time travel. I did so for pages and pages when I first joined the site, and the counter-argument inevitably boils down to "well the author says it works so that had darn well be good enough for everyone." How do you argue against "it works because it works"?
A wizard did it?
Also, time travel in shows never makes sense, I've learned to not question it anymore.
Old 2011-11-16, 22:57   Link #712
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well, if it happened, from Kyon's point of view, from his experiance with time travel so far, that means it must be done so that with does happen (see earlier in the film when Haruhi tells him she met him a second time "on that date" and told her something specific that she remembered. Kyon knows he didn't say that after he met her last time, so when he goes back to that date again, he (with Mikuru (BIG) reminding him) goes to see young Haruhi off and tells her the very same thing her older self told him he said to her that night.

Thus, Kyon remembers seeing a second Mikuru and having himself tell him stuff. So in the future he will somehow get Mikuru to take him to that point, and remember not to do anything until his old self gets stabbed, then something will stop Ryoko..at which point Kyon will come as say exactly what he heard himself say (after both Mikurus cry over him). After that, Kyon has no idea what will happen or what to do, exactly, so he'll wing it he guesses. Another reason for him to go back is to find out what happened, and how did he get to be taken care of. And where did the backstory Itsuki told him come from? That is something else Kyon wants to know.

So at some point Kyon will go back to that every mornng to find out the rest. But like he says before going into the SOS-dan christmas party...that is a story for later.
Old 2011-11-17, 20:30   Link #713
Thranduil

Yeah, arguing time travel is pretty pointless, but from where I saw it, it all made perfect sense. Everything was done very carefully with very little conflicts with the defined way time travel is told to work in the haruhi universe, and I think it was done much better than any other time travel ideas I have seen. There were no "changing the past" or "alternate universes" things, instead it was more like "We have to go back in time because we have to avoid a paradox/Keep history straight" (kinda like it's fate, they have to do something no matter what or paradox, even if they themsilves don't realize it until later.). I really thought it was done very well for something completely fictional and theoretically impossible.

And yes, it does seem like it's going to get a lot more serious from here on, and I like that. I really loved the movie, especially how it didn't seem conflict with anything from the show at all, but instead fit in quite well, albeit being a near stand alone movie.
Old 2011-11-18, 02:52   Link #714
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
The only thing that makes me watch this movie is Kyon's feeling's regarding Haruhi and nothing more.

Hey, I will not argue if they change the title to "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: The Movie: The Kyon x Yuki Arc, do I still to answer why?

Good movie, I never expected that Yuki will go this far....unconciously?!
Old 2011-11-18, 17:39   Link #715
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Thus, Kyon remembers seeing a second Mikuru and having himself tell him stuff. So in the future he will somehow get Mikuru to take him to that point, and remember not to do anything until his old self gets stabbed, then something will stop Ryoko..at which point Kyon will come as say exactly what he heard himself say (after both Mikurus cry over him).
And what if he doesn't? What if Mikuru comes crying to him saying, "Kyon you have to go back in time with me!" and he just tells her no? What if he keeps deciding, "eh, I can't be bothered with this right now...I'll save myself later" until the day he dies?

Obviously those things don't happen, but that's the problem with the time travel in this series. The characters have to march along mindlessly like puppets, or else it all falls apart.
Old 2011-11-18, 18:28   Link #716
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe. So far Kyon seems to take things at face value (with a heavy dose of snark), but we have yet to see them attempt to not follow though with time travel.

It might be that he'll go even if he says "no". Mikuru can just knock him out and take him there "for the sake of the timeline" or something. Everything that happens supposely already happened from her point of view, so it will happen...somehow. Or maybe it is something else. Recall that Endless Eight does sort of show that there can be different paths in time. It could be that stuff in the "present" is changing the future, but Mikuru can't grasp that because her memory of the events changed each time so that the only way we'd know about it is if she told Kyon something, and it happened different, and then she told him about it again as it actually happened as if she'd already told him that before. But instead it is usually "Classified Information", which provides a great cover. It becomes even more weird because there are two Mikuru. (BIG) who supposedly knows everything that happened to herself, and (small) who appears to be mostly clueless and just follows orders when she gets them.

The resolution to Dissppearance might also show that time may not be as set at Mikuru claims (as you still have to figure out what happened those three days there are supposedly two Kyons...the wounded one and the one that will be the wounded one. And if they overwrite the world the Kyon we follow saw...then what happened to the other Kyon? The one that fell down the stair? The one that was asleep, home, in bed, while Nagato is changing the world?)

Plus there is the supposed weirdness from Books 9-11 that might alter how things work in Haruhi with multiple timelines.

So things may not be so simple. All we have to work with is what Mikuru tells Kyon and what we see via Kyon as the results of his time travel events. The only other person we have for information is Nagato, who's not saying much.
Old 2011-12-21, 21:20   Link #717
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Now that I can finally take a break from medical school, I have at last been able to take the time to purchase the DVD and watch the movie for the first time.

Of course, I already know every single scene that happens. I practically have the script memorized, given how often I read the book. But to have everything be fulfilled in glorious animation, to be blow away by the quality being even higher than I expected (and I expected a lot, given what I heard), and to see it all unfold before me like that...it was truly a wonderful experience.

Bravo. Thank you, Kyoto Animation, for making it happen.
Old 2011-12-29, 09:01   Link #718
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Perfect excecution: the graphic is just awesome, the animation is wonderful, the appropriate music for each moment, growing emotions when kyon does that monologue and asks himself what he wants, really sudden stabbing from asakura (that stunned me), new uncovered sides of our characters(yuki smiling sure was an event), and an Haruhi with long hairs(that was just hot). And the thing i'm happier the most is that i watched this movie before actually reading the novel, and therefore it surprised and mindfucked me the whole time while i was watching it. Oh ye, i also have the super high definition version of this movie saved, so i did actually enjoy it to 100%. So far i've watched it 4 times, and still it gives me the same thrills and chills. I just love it.

It's actually this movie that made me begin reading the novel, up to the last volume. It got me addicted to Haruhi. I do not hope in a third or other season, considering they haven't been producing anything for a while now, but i'm still burning for the next volume to come out.
Old 2011-12-29, 23:33   Link #719
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
really sudden stabbing from asakura (that stunned me)
What gets me is that she's downright cheerful about it--and that she thinks that Yuki should be likewise cheerful. She doesn't have the anger or sadistic pleasure or even sheer coldness that any halfway sane human would have, and she doesn't have the emotionless flatness that she would have if "logic dictated" that she should do it. It's like she really can not comprehend that Yuki and Kyon do not think that Kyon's death is a genuinely good thing.
Old 2011-12-30, 00:38   Link #720
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She was like that the first time as well.

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya