Notices

Old 2012-07-18, 17:09   Link #1361
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astray71 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
Spoiler:
i assume the report only publish the User names not the real names. Since back in vol3 the government had real worries regarding the Red and Orange players if they release a corresponding list of user names and real life names.
Old 2012-07-18, 17:29   Link #1362
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Asuna's mother knew but she just doesn't care about that sort of thing. i think she was more annoy by Asuna dropping out of the Rankings in the head House then the 4000 dead because of SAO. She remind me a lot of Natsuhi form umineko. The stress of marrying into a prestige familiy like the Yuuki probably got to her.
Her mother can learn to deal with it, and apparently has, as of the end of volume 7. Asuna may not like getting into conflicts with her family, but she's no longer the person they were trying to force her to be. The two years trapped in SAO have indelibly shaped her life. They are an inescapable part of who she is, and she is not going to give up the life she now wants just to please her family. Of that I am certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astray71 View Post
Can someone point out where her parents mentioned Kirito so I can take a look at it?
There wasn't anything direct...

Spoiler for Volume 7, chapter 2:
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 19:10   Link #1363
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Kayaba fathered at least two paradigm shifting technologies: the Nervgear and the AI to run SAO. There's nothing to indicate that Kirito's that kind of genius. He's smart, and good with computers and electronics, but so are countless kids.

Besides, intelligence isn't the issue. Pedigree, connections, achievements... Those are what the mother looked at. And from that point of view, Kirito was and is a nobody. (Yeah, I wonder why everyone conveniently forgets he's the hero of Aincrad...)
Well, I won't say countless kids. Many, many kids yes. Kayaba level genius of course, may be an exaggeration, but I'd say that even among that pack, Kirito may well be among the upper tier.

But one wonders whether the issues of "Pedigree (nothing Kirito can do about it), Connections and Achievements" are eating Kirito inside, subtly. Well, it was suggest that's why Oberon went a little morally off the rails. And Kirito intends to walk down that same route.

Quote:
Kirito isn't out of high school. How long before he makes a name for himself? It wouldn't be enough for him to be "a scientist". He'd have to have something to show for it.
This actually brings up a very interesting point about Kirito's psyche. Paying close attention to Kirito's lines from after Fairy Dance onwards would bring up the concept that Kirito is but a mere powerless gamer - utterly true, and I think anyone of decent intelligence in that position may be frightfully aware of this.

It seems though that a case can be made that this is eating him up, to a certain extent, throughout the whole of GGO, Rosario and Allicization. If Kirito's dominant internal issue in SAO is an "Imouto Complex" and his loner tendencies, Post ALO, especially after the Car-park scene, it is the feeling of being "a powerless gamer".

No wonder Alicization was so alluring to him. It's interesting, and commendable that the author sets up the basis of another set of torturous personal issues for Kirito to work through right at the very end of ALO, and the resolution of his prior issues. The question I think is whether Alicization would solve that fear of powerlessness in Kirito's heart. At most, it may seal off retreating into the virtual world as an option.

Another interesting thing to note: if Kirito indeed achieves a successful career as a "Scientist", the situation with him and Asuna may be rather reminiscent of some 19th Century Self-made men who married wealthy heiresses, in certain aspects.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 20:06   Link #1364
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
This actually brings up a very interesting point about Kirito's psyche. Paying close attention to Kirito's lines from after Fairy Dance onwards would bring up the concept that Kirito is but a mere powerless gamer - utterly true, and I think anyone of decent intelligence in that position may be frightfully aware of this.

It seems though that a case can be made that this is eating him up, to a certain extent, throughout the whole of GGO, Rosario and Allicization. If Kirito's dominant internal issue in SAO is an "Imouto Complex" and his loner tendencies, Post ALO, especially after the Car-park scene, it is the feeling of being "a powerless gamer".
Really? Maybe it shows up more in this Alicization that I haven't gotten to, but I haven't really noticed that in volumes 3 - 8. Yes, there have been times when he's felt powerless, but not because he's a gamer, and he's always been able to do something about the situation. More than that, he's proven a couple of times that the training he received in the games has given him fighting capabilities in the real world.
Old 2012-07-18, 22:34   Link #1365
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I think the main point is that no matter what Kirito's skills are, at the end of the day his strongest skillset is VRMMO gamer, which is not a recognised skillset in the real world. He has a certain understandable level of angst about that.

That said, I would so totally love to be able to play GGO and earn part time income. Then I can show it to my parents. "See Mom, Dad. Playing games can give you income!"

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 22:46   Link #1366
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
That said, I would so totally love to be able to play GGO and earn part time income. Then I can show it to my parents. "See Mom, Dad. Playing games can give you income!"
Because you could only really consider it part time is what kinda downs the idea. I don't know about your parents, but mine would probably give me pitiful looks if I were to even say gaming and career in the same sentence.

Last edited by trinitem; 2012-07-18 at 22:48. Reason: game -> gaming
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 22:52   Link #1367
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Weren't there implications of VRMMOs potentially being used as a form of training and such in real life skills? Forgive me if I'm incorrect on this note. I'm still on volume 3 right now so this hasn't come up yet though I have read a mention of it.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 22:53   Link #1368
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Weren't there implications of VRMMOs potentially being used as a form of training and such in real life skills? Forgive me if I'm incorrect on this note. I'm still on volume 3 right now so this hasn't come up yet though I have read a mention of it.
It was talked about in vol.9, but I think there might have been some mentioning of it during the GGO arc as well, not sure though.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 23:14   Link #1369
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
It was talked about in vol.9, but I think there might have been some mentioning of it during the GGO arc as well, not sure though.
Yes, it was mentioned. Kirito believed the government and military were making use of VRMMO technology for training. The thing that's mentioned a few times about VRMMOs is that they're new technology. Society is still discovery what sort of impact they can have, and there are all sorts of benefits to them outside of the pure entertainment aspect. Being a VRMMO gamer is not as limited nor as useless a skillset as some might think. Especially not for someone like Kirito, who has the intelligence to actually do things on the technical side of that industry.

He also has possession of the only known sapient AI in the world, which isn't something to sneer at, although he would never do something like announce that to the world and put Yui at risk.
Old 2012-07-18, 23:20   Link #1370
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
Well either way the "boss-fight" will be beyond epic. The father-boss has already been weakened but the mother-boss's ultimate skill "Mother's Death Glare" has a large of chance of OHKOing a certain black-loving male protagonist. I wonder if the defensive skills "Strong Look of Determination" and "Empowered Emotional Speech about Life and Love" will be enough to save his hide?
Hmmm...what does this means? Is her father will accept Kirito soon?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 23:25   Link #1371
astray71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Yes, it was mentioned. Kirito believed the government and military were making use of VRMMO technology for training. The thing that's mentioned a few times about VRMMOs is that they're new technology. Society is still discovery what sort of impact they can have, and there are all sorts of benefits to them outside of the pure entertainment aspect. Being a VRMMO gamer is not as limited nor as useless a skillset as some might think. Especially not for someone like Kirito, who has the intelligence to actually do things on the technical side of that industry.

He also has possession of the only known sapient AI in the world, which isn't something to sneer at, although he would never do something like announce that to the world and put Yui at risk.
It was mentioned in Volume 9 that VRMMOs were used for military training. In volume 7, it was used in medical practices. In a side story, it'll also be used for prostitution :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
It means that Asuna's father would more than likely accept Kirito as a son-in-law because he married a farmer's daughter rather than someone with status (i.e. Kirito) - pursuing happiness over family obligations/expectations. Asuna's mother wants her daughter to marry someone along the lines of a politician or someone that holds sway in large corporations.
astray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-18, 23:29   Link #1372
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
the father already try to married Asuna to Sugou. That really didn't work out, it is more likely he is going to leave to Asuna decision with his own lack of ability to read people's character.
Old 2012-07-18, 23:46   Link #1373
Random Wanderer

I'd think both of them would have some gratitude for the person who saved their daughter from Sugou and brought her back out of both of the games she was trapped in. They should know about him freeing her from the second game at least, even if they don't know about the first.

Quote:
It was mentioned in Volume 9 that VRMMOs were used for military training.
It came up in volume 6, too.
Old 2012-07-18, 23:59   Link #1374
Bombo
TSF Fans

I just finished in v9 ..what the latest volume released?
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 00:06   Link #1375
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Volume 10's out, but it has yet to be translated (into English at least).
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 00:27   Link #1376
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
It's the reverse. VR training would be most useful for physical skills. For intellectual ones... Well, how much training do you need to type on a keyboard?

Besides, Kirito mostly learned sword fighting, which is outdated in the real world.

That's not to say VR can't be useful. It can save on travel costs, and Klein made a presentation software which probably has some cool features.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 00:35   Link #1377
Bombo
TSF Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitem View Post
Volume 10's out, but it has yet to be translated (into English at least).
Good...I'm in ship now

I'm so glad SAO to be my first reading LN
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 01:26   Link #1378
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Regards VR skill training, note that Shino was able to fire a Colt M1911 (albeit an airsoft model) thanks to her time in GGO. There's also mentions in vol 9 of an american ggo player who'd go around and CQC opponents into submission and steal their guns - Kirito suspected he's a special forces soldier IRL.

Early in Volume 3 , there's already mention of flight simulator games - if the level of detail is that of Lock On or Falcon 4.0, or hell, ARMA, you can bet that militaries will be using the AmuSphere as a substitute for simulator training. Hell, I bet BIS has already ported ARMA and VBS to the AmuSphere. In fact, which VR training, you could see major potential cost savings - no need to take planes into the air and burn fuel, just practice online!

Of course, you'd still need Red Flag, NSAWC and FAARP to finish up the training menu...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 04:19   Link #1379
ireh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Regards VR skill training, note that Shino was able to fire a Colt M1911 (albeit an airsoft model) thanks to her time in GGO. There's also mentions in vol 9 of an american ggo player who'd go around and CQC opponents into submission and steal their guns - Kirito suspected he's a special forces soldier IRL.
regarding that mysterious man, his identity will be explained in vol 11 maybe? it is explained in chapter 6 Alicization Arc - web novel. CMIIW.
ireh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 04:30   Link #1380
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's the reverse. VR training would be most useful for physical skills. For intellectual ones... Well, how much training do you need to type on a keyboard?

Besides, Kirito mostly learned sword fighting, which is outdated in the real world.

That's not to say VR can't be useful. It can save on travel costs, and Klein made a presentation software which probably has some cool features.
No, but the ability to write essays and correspond just by thinking words out would be invaluable. Imagine how fast you can churn a paper just by thinking of the words, instead of typing.

There are ways to tweak VR training for education too, for instance. You could use VR training for Public Speaking, or practicing speeches. You could use VR training for negotiating skills- this would be especially true in Business-simulator like VR games, especially MMOs where Merchanting is a major component. The lists goes on and on.

You could manipulate and engineer things more effectively using VR simulations, before trying a test run in the real world.

And GGO shows you could probably train excellent soldiers in the VR world, very well. One wonders whether Sinon would get head hunted by parties impressed by her marksmanship skills. Wild Goose explained that rather well - you could do Live firing exercises every day for low cost, though certainly, VR training would not completely supersede real life training. It's just that Real life training would likely be a final stage training.

VR presentations can be incredibly flashy. Imagine summoning up Graphic Holograms for example, or calling out 3D Blueprints you could walk throughout.

Face to face meetings can be conducted from half a world away via VR.

So, don't be too quick to dismiss VR as a fringe technology benefiting the limited skill-set of gamers. It's potentially a game-changer, the next stage of evolution of the continually evolving methods of human communication, that begun with the Telegraph, Telephone, Radio, Television and Internet.

In any case, SAO is an Apologetic for the Information Revolution, and a Sci-fi Apologetic for technologies only conceived off today. Despite the astounding scandals that afflicted the Industry (and I presume it's one of the most regulated industries by now) , I suspect RETCO in the SAO world must be making as much money as Nintendo did from their DS.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality