AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-12-06, 23:31   Link #4701
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Expectation for England is at all time low. But people overrate Uruguay too much. Forlan is no longer the player he once was. Other than Suarez and Cavani, their players are far from impressive and as a team they aren't better than England. Italy is better than the other 3 teams but not by a long distance. With Hodgson's ultra conservative tactics, England may well secure a draw against Italy like the last Euro. I still give England a slightly better chance to advance over Uruguay.

USA though, is done. Germany and Portugal are far better.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 23:48   Link #4702
ChampDream
Alive

^ Uruguay doesn't need to be impressive to advance next round and if we look at how they are today Uruguay is more dangerous then England, at least that my opinion, also you need to remember the world is in South America which give the majority of South America teams a big plus (specially Brazil) and remember Uruguay is really close to Brazil, so don't underestimated Uruguay.
Old 2013-12-07, 12:42   Link #4703
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

US has a chance to beat Portugal. definitely an outside chance, but our athleticism is still the best and our technique has only gotten better.

anyways, everyone but 'pool has dropped point today. hopefully sunderland can beat spuds.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 23:22   Link #4704
Nerroth
NePoi!

I was going to not give away the winner of this year's MLS Cup final, and let people see the highlights for themselves... but it seems that the league's YouTube channel had other ideas.

Last edited by Nerroth; 2013-12-07 at 23:40.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:01   Link #4705
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

heh, doesn't seem like SKC deserved it, but i didn't watch the game.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2013-12-08, 04:09   Link #4706
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Images
Wolrd Cup group
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-12-08, 04:20   Link #4707
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

If the artist who drew this thinks that Japan is not one of the potential top dogs in Group C, something's not right.

Meanwhile, Switzerland is not to be underestimated in Group E. They can give quite a challenge and even top the group.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 12:20   Link #4708
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the artist also thinks Mexico is good.

Old 2013-12-08, 14:16   Link #4709
Bri

Russia as group H favorite instead of Belgium is also quite odd.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 15:37   Link #4710
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

The artist has no idea about football.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 15:46   Link #4711
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Does anyone else know why the three teams in Group D are flags/rectangles instead of balls? I get that it's probably a joke at their expense but I don't understand what the joke is.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 16:42   Link #4712
Bri

I'd guess England, Italy and Uruguay are all former world champions so Costa Rica is the odd one out?
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 17:31   Link #4713
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Does anyone else know why the three teams in Group D are flags/rectangles instead of balls? I get that it's probably a joke at their expense but I don't understand what the joke is.
The best way to describe it is that Rectangle in polandballs denotes imperial ambition with an evil streak to it.
Old 2013-12-11, 17:48   Link #4714
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

What's an end to Group F of Champion League. This kinda set up for Arsenal or Dortmund to win the CL by May, so people can make a dramatic documentary movie about it.....

Kudos to Napoli. Hope they win Europa League as they probably the most deserved out of the bunch
Old 2013-12-11, 21:36   Link #4715
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

That was some of the most uncomfortable minutes of football I have ever witnessed. At one point ALL THREE TEAMS were at risk of losing their spot! In the end it was Napoli, and by the skin of their teeth.

Group of Death indeed. And the likes of Man U and Chelsea got off easy...

Of course, to be fair, this happens because somehow Arsenal collectively decided they were just not going to try (and Marseille decided they were going to fight tooth and nail to frustrate mighty Dortmund, in the midst of an injury crisis to match Arsenal's own). Although, whatever Rafa said to Insigne before he sent him in, it worked and Insigne's entrance changed the pace of the game completely from what was a comfortable Arsenal defense to all-out Napoli attack.

But yes, your idea of an Arsenal (and...fine...Dortmund) Champions League victory coming from this is most welcome. Muses of Football, are you listening?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-12, 00:28   Link #4716
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Frustrated about yesterday match.
If Wenger decided to play safe and hold on to tie, why didnt he rest Giroud and play Walcott instead.

Now let's see what monster await us in the next phase of CL? I personally wanna avoid PSG, Bayern and Real Madrid.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-13, 20:59   Link #4717
Nerroth
NePoi!

Until today, the four slots assigned to the United States Soccer Federation for play in the CONCACAF Champions League were awarded to the winners and runners-up of MLS Cup, the Supporters' Shield winner, and the team which claimed the U.S. Open Cup (a domestic cup competition also open to lower-division American teams).

Earlier this year, MLS and USSF agreed to propose a rule change which would take away the slot assigned to the MLS Cup runner-up, and give it to the team which topped the opposing conference to the Supporters' Shield winner. This change has been approved by CONCACAF, which means that the Portland Timbers (as the best-finishing team in the Western Conference, which became the "opposing" conference when the East-leading New York Red Bulls won the Supporters' Shield) now hold the 2014-15 CCL slot which would have gone to Real Salt Lake (as MLS Cup finalists) hitherto.

To the credit of the RSL organization (who had known about the plan when it was first drawn up earlier in the year), they aren't using the change as an excuse for how their season went. I'm sure that their preferred response will be on the pitch in 2014, and I don't doubt they'll be in serious contention for the next set of USSF berths.

In future seasons, if there is any duplication in the three MLS-based slots (say, if an American team tops the opposing conference and goes on to win MLS Cup, or if a Canadian team finishes in any of those slots), the next-highest finishing American team (regardless of conference) will pick up the duplicated berth.

Note that Canada only has one CCL berth, which is awarded to the winner of the Canadian Championship (which is Canada's equivalent to the U.S. Open Cup). Canadian MLS teams cannot qualify through league play.

Last edited by Nerroth; 2013-12-13 at 21:32.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-13, 23:19   Link #4718
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Just watched a recent cap of U17 US humiliated England with 5-1 win. Not sure if it was one-off, US showing its strength or simply England has fallen on their own sport.... But i do enjoy that

I always hope US national team do well (and really glad whenever they do) as i think that would raise interests from American population to football and their own MLS league (which already have the potential form its own financial power). European football has been too corrupting in my book, and need a massive mind shift but can't do so due to their conservative stand. With US being more open mind, more open to new technology (+ their lobby power), you guys are the only hope for introducing more technology into the game so we can lessen the role of those referee and their dubious calls, making the game cleaner and more enjoyable for me.

I'm not targeting any specific team here, but there was one time when i watched MU played versus one of the lower league team. It was a cup game , so i think MU only put on their second string. But heck they were totally dominated by that lower league team, on every front. I was enjoying that match up to then, seeing the underdog up their game and fight on open against the 1st league champion. And what happened next disgusted me. MU subbed in Nani, who draws foul and then go down at every opportunity he could around opponent's box. Totally acceptable in the rule box, of course, but MU thank to that get goals back through a set piece and a soft penalty. So the champion win in the end, but the game since that turning point was butchered by whistles every few minutes and you do not see any real open play since then. Worst, Nani got MOM as he "cleverly exploited opponent defense inexperience and turned the match around with his skill"

That's when i realised that this system have to go. No wonder top teams can stay up top for so long, as they always can win by pressing and exploiting the rulebook to its limit. While lesser team, those who dared to dream, or innovate themselves to punch above their belly, will most likely fail if they can't do the same

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2013-12-13 at 23:42.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 09:46   Link #4719
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Nothing new to see, City is still imba at home as usual....

Even when against group leader Arsenal
Old 2013-12-14, 09:57   Link #4720
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Arsenal left side was being barrage by City player. Monreal was on his lowest form today. Lost himself against Zabaleta and Silva on many occasion.

And why the hell Wenger took out Flamini instead of Giroud. He waste 3 chances on 5 minutes interval. Ah damn damn damn.

Double thumbs up to Yaya Toure. He is pratically man of the match for today's game.
On another positive side, looks like Arsenal can trust the CF position to Walcott once again. #benchGiroud
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer