AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-17, 09:13   Link #481
cyth
Banned

Yamakan has been far less critical than I thought he would be, besides, what does he look to gain by criticizing such an industry, when his customer base are those same otaku people? If you didn't take notice, he actually likes idols. That should be the main concern here, right? I find your apologetic responses in this thread to be somewhat confusing. I don't see the point in defending the industry over defending the idols themselves. It's their happiness every fan should be worried about first and foremost, right? To the delusional, even a healthy dose of criticism may seem like demonization.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 02:29   Link #482
sa547
*Author

Quote:
If you didn't take notice, he actually likes idols.
Yes, but this is getting ridiculous; the "quality" alone seems telling about how the show is faring... not very well despite his seemingly noble intentions.

Also, anime fans are not the same as idol fans -- as far as they're concerned, they don't mix easily.
Old 2014-03-18, 02:50   Link #483
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Yes, but this is getting ridiculous; the "quality" alone seems telling about how the show is faring...
Despite the quality, I heard the show is doing just fine. Only, more than the series, what's getting more attentions are the events. It seems there are WUG events (featuring the actual idols and such) pretty often and they're doing pretty well.

I think that's the real goal here. It's not so much about the anime itself. It's about promoting this group of idols. And like I said, in that regard Yamakan seems to be succeeding.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-03-18 at 16:20.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-18, 12:09   Link #484
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Yes, but this is getting ridiculous; the "quality" alone seems telling about how the show is faring... not very well despite his seemingly noble intentions.

Also, anime fans are not the same as idol fans -- as far as they're concerned, they don't mix easily.
Surely there's quite a good bit of overlap, judging by the higher than average BD sales Idol Anime usually get. And I know Anime fans who are Idol fans... but that's a personal anecdote, from a sample size of one.

My reading is that Yamakan's making the point that there are seedy sides to the Idol Industry, and very dubious and troubling practices. But it's not a blanket condemnation of the industry - rather, it seems that Yamakan's arguing that there's good and bad management within the Industry (as in every industry), and the conformity and homogeneity and constancy of Idol Groups is just a myth perceived from a short-term time-frame of less than a few years.

Once again, he paints the Idol Otaku in almost heroic light. Then again, I don't know whether the Idol Otakus are offended by WuG -it would enlightening someone whose been in Japanese online Anime communities could tell us about how the Japanese audience actually receives WuG. Because much of this thread has been just speculation.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 01:02   Link #485
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

To those interested, Discovery Channel will show a documentary about the idol industry, including footage of an idol election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery Channel Asia Website
POPCORN DREAMS
Director: Naoto Ueda, TV Asahi
19 March at 1900 (1800 BKK/JKT)
This episode showcases the global expansion of the J-POP idol group, AKB48 from Akihabara, Tokyo, and examines its first overseas venture, sister group JKT48 in Jakarta, Indonesia. Follow Melody Nurramdhani Laksani, a local JKT48 member as she hones her performing skills to become a pop idol sensation in Indonesia; and Haruka Nakagawa, a Japanese girl who transferred from AKB48 to JKT48 to help the Indonesian girls replicate the AKB songs and dance moves – and whose character and efforts to learn the local language is attracting a growing fan base. Also featuring Yasushi Akimoto, the producer who invented the AKB formula, this episode offers unique insight into Japan’s pop idol culture.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 02:53   Link #486
EroKing

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-12-02 at 10:50.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-19, 03:31   Link #487
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
To those interested, Discovery Channel will show a documentary about the idol industry, including footage of an idol election.
Yeah, that'll be interesting to watch for 30 minutes.

In any case, I wonder if Yamakan is still tweeting about assistance for the production? I mean, he needs help if WUG will be finished on time!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 02:28   Link #488
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Images
You should know what's behind this by now

Well, compared to last week's fiasco, this episode didn't look quite as horrendous.

I think I like "First Rate Smile" much more than the OP song, so it feels like I-1 got the better song in the end anyway.

Images
bonus
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-22, 15:00   Link #489
Esclair

I don't think their new song is the op. Isnt the op their second song?
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 04:57   Link #490
cyth
Banned

Wow that unnecessary plot twist. They just couldn't put out a team that's ready, for a change ...
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-23, 11:05   Link #491
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This "twist" is so terrible and cheap. I hate it when they use that trope (I'm sure that's got a name).
Old 2014-03-23, 21:12   Link #492
Red Cheese

Finally done marathon 11 eps. One thing I would say about this show is the pacing was weird. Like 3/4 of the show we were shown the group's mentality progress, but nothing much more about other aspects. I agree they have matured quite a bit, but it doesn't look to me that their idol's popularity has increased much thoughout the series.

Unlike Love Live!, whereas they successfully performed a numerous of concerts, here even up until ep 8, I still haven't seen WUG performed anything can be called successful. They either met with personal problems or lack of audience. Nothing can be called steady progress here. The last few eps suddenly skyrocketted their fame weird the hell out of me. I'm gonna leave out ep 11 with that cliche cause we all know it's so stupid .

Personally, I think the flaw of this show is it spent too much time on dramatizing individual's problems but left out many other important aspects ( Steadily raising their popularity, how they succeeded in drawing audience, how they show their talents to other people...). I think this show could fare a lot better as 2 cours, 12 eps are just simply not enough for all those complicated build up.
Red Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 01:50   Link #493
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

In the end, good idea, bad directing.

iM@S shall remain king.
Old 2014-03-28, 01:08   Link #494
Nork22

Was advised of this from ANN, but here's what the dance choreography of 7 Girls War looks like performed by the actual girls at Wonderfest '14.

YouTube

Suffice to say I was highly impressed with the amount of moves and how physical the dancing was (they even pull a cartwheel). Because of the intensity, the singing wasn't a good as I thought it would be. Still just mad props to them for pulling it off.
Old 2014-03-28, 11:57   Link #495
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 12 (End):
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-28, 15:33   Link #496
Red Cheese

Kinda disappointed...

Spoiler for Thoughts on ep 12:
Red Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-28, 20:55   Link #497
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sigh this was boring none of the idols stand out at all and the ending just seemed so uesless

5/10
Old 2014-03-28, 21:23   Link #498
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
The first episode was a snore, but once the second episode came out with the intended fan disservice it got my attention and I was committed to the ride. And it was laid back, and a pleasant experience and I enjoyed the journey to the conclusion, but it left me curious for more and I really really hope it did well enough to get the green light for a second season and if it does I ESPECIALLY HOPE they have a better budget so we get less derpy animation and for us to get more detailed artwork.

Favorite Idols were Minami(The glutton) and Miyuu(The maid). I liked them for being the more optimistic and energetic of the girls. Plus Minami got heavy respect points for not letting the swimsuit incident effect her like it did the other girls.

7/10.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 00:27   Link #499
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Ah, the joys of front row tickets...
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-29, 06:51   Link #500
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler