Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2014-08-01, 07:30   Link #1981
Dormouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubbi View Post
You missed the point. Simplicity.
Speak for yourself. I'm an Australian-born Cantonese and I had no problem pronouncing Ghyslaine the moment I saw it.

Quote:
Then it comes to names like Elinalise.
Well yeah, I made it up. But you see -lise endings in a lot of names pronouced liize or liizeh so of course it should be familiar to you.

Quote:
The entire idea is to make reading smooth. If there is a name which sticks as odd for most people - I am making an assumption here - change it. because the reality, the exactness doesn't matter here, rather just to convey the massage while being closer to the original meaning.
Fair enough, but I think you're missing my point; it SHOULD be easy for you to understand. Over 1/3 of the English language comes from French, either because of the Saxons or via importation of the word. It's of my opinion that the average English reader should be able to guess at the pronunciation of 'Ghislaine'.

Quote:
Here lies my dilemma though. I know that translators have gone through lot of trouble to fish out the right one. Is it OK to ask them not to use it?
You're free to ask whatever you want; you have the right to do so. As you can see though, I personally, was not pleased. Everyone else seemed pretty chill about it, so I suppose it should be fine for you to continue.

-----------------------------

EDIT: Answering impartially though, there's nothing wrong with what you're asking. Here are two approaches you can take to this; fundamentalist or non-fundamentalist.

- If you're fundamentalist, you'd take the original Japanese name exactly the way it is as the author's intent; the author is Japanese, so this is the name as he knows it, and nothing else matters. (e.g. write Girehhnu because that's how the original text name is pronounced) [<- i.e. you]

- If you're not, you'd take the source name (e.g. Ghislaine, Michael, whatever) as what the author intended; the assumption is that he's thinking of the name used in Western countries for example, and writes it as ギレーヌ or マイクル or whatever simply because that's how it's written in Japanese. [<- i.e. me]

If you take the former approach, then as long as the spelling is confusing enough, hypothetically you'd be more or less indifferent between writing for example, Michael or Maicooll (because you can pronounce it fairly closely to the Japanese way).
i.e. The text says Maikuru, by what's this 'Michael' business? How is that pronounced? mee-char-el ? mihhh-hah-el? mee-sha-yall?

This doesn't sit well with me, personally.

Last edited by Dormouse; 2014-08-01 at 07:48.
Dormouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 08:05   Link #1982
Gubbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormouse View Post
Speak for yourself. I'm an Australian-born Cantonese and I had no problem pronouncing Ghyslaine the moment I saw it.

Well yeah, I made it up. But you see -lise endings in a lot of names pronouced liize or liizeh so of course it should be familiar to you.

Fair enough, but I think you're missing my point; it SHOULD be easy for you to understand. Over 1/3 of the English language comes from French, either because of the Saxons or via importation of the word. It's of my opinion that the average English reader should be able to guess at the pronunciation of 'Ghislaine'.
May be I am being irrational here, Neither English nor French is my first language and I live in a bilingual city with both the languages being used. I am prejudiced against French though! I know English contains lot of French, but the pronunciation is different. I find it really hard to pronounce French words, most time I am not even close to intended pronunciation. This is why the moment I found it is French name, I wanted to change it!

Quote:
You're free to ask whatever you want; you have the right to do so. As you can see though, I personally, was not pleased. Everyone else seemed pretty chill about it, so I suppose it should be fine for you to continue.
The idea is to have a consensus. Not to displease anyone with an irrational demand, TL or Leech. That is why we are discussing. If I am not able to convince you I will drop the topic. We are here to enjoy, not argue and get angry over trivial stuff!

-----------------------------
Quote:
EDIT: Answering impartially though, there's nothing wrong with what you're asking. Here are two approaches you can take to this; fundamentalist or non-fundamentalist.

- If you're fundamentalist, you'd take the original Japanese name exactly the way it is as the author's intent; the author is Japanese, so this is the name as he knows it, and nothing else matters. (e.g. write Girehhnu because that's how the original text name is pronounced) [<- i.e. you]

- If you're not, you'd take the source name (e.g. Ghislaine, Michael, whatever) as what the author intended; the assumption is that he's thinking of the name used in Western countries for example, and writes it as ギレーヌ or マイクル or whatever simply because that's how it's written in Japanese. [<- i.e. me]

If you take the former approach, then as long as the spelling is confusing enough, hypothetically you'd be more or less indifferent between writing for example, Michael or Maicooll (because you can pronounce it fairly closely to the Japanese way).
i.e. The text says Maikuru, by what's this 'Michael' business? How is that pronounced? mee-char-el ? mihhh-hah-el? mee-sha-yall?

This doesn't sit well with me, personally.
No, I am not fundamentalist. I am fine with Linia, Paul, Ellis or Michael and so on. I don't even think about them. Problem is with words which makes you think. Now I am not arguing in particular about a single name or word. Rather a general idea, about how text should be, translation or not. You want to engage readers with story and not with weird terminology that makes them google to understand.
Gubbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 08:37   Link #1983
iceaco

You guys think Girenu is nothing close to Ghyslaine because you're thinking as an English speaker.
The author is not an EN writer. He's a JP writer.
What this means is don't think 'how do you convert this katakana to english?'

but 'what was the author trying to convert to katakana?'

I said this before somewhere else - try to convert Soufflenictole to katakana and convert that to English without knowing the original. What will you get? (Yes, that's a character last name from another novel)

As for weird terminology, it's the Japanese. Why are you expecting them to come up with terminologies easy to understand? If that's the case you haven't read enough.

Baka-Tsuki username: acolyte
iceaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 08:58   Link #1984
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
I would kindly like to ask to keep detailed issues relating to the baka-tsuki translation project on Baka-Tsuki Wiki or at Baka-Tsuki forum. After all, that is the purpose of them. To help discuss these sort of things.

Lets keep this thread on topic, which is to discuss about the story and characters of this novel.
Thank you.
Old 2014-08-01, 10:06   Link #1985
PuddingGod
Despair's event horizon

Oooookay! Now that we're no longer in a semi-intense argument about ghyslaine/girenu/gireenu/whatever, let's talk about a cheerier topic!

So! We know that Vanant clearly likes Roxy, who's everybody's favourite guy/girl/creature?

Much like Vanant, I also really like Roxy (though maybe not quite as vehemently as he), probably because of how adorable her clumsy nature is in spite of her rather serious personality.
PuddingGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 10:15   Link #1986
Dormouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinggod View Post
much like vanant, i also really like roxy (though maybe not quite as vehemently as he), probably because of how adorable her clumsy nature is in spite of her rather serious personality.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Someone who understands!
Old 2014-08-01, 10:30   Link #1987
Ahou
Worshipper of 3 Goddesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingGod View Post
Oooookay! Now that we're no longer in a semi-intense argument about ghyslaine/girenu/gireenu/whatever, let's talk about a cheerier topic!

So! We know that Vanant clearly likes Roxy, who's everybody's favourite guy/girl/creature?

Much like Vanant, I also really like Roxy (though maybe not quite as vehemently as he), probably because of how adorable her clumsy nature is in spite of her rather serious personality.
As of vol 17 Ellis is ok, not too bad but not too good. She needs to do something more impressive to make me like her.

But Sylphy and Roxy = HNGGGG.
Sylphy is always soooo cute and forgiving and Roxy is as stated above; adorable clumsiness.

On a somewhat more serious note: for Vol 18 and 19, the chapters have editing in progress next to them. So should I just leave it to that person to do all editing or is it fine to help with it?
Old 2014-08-01, 10:56   Link #1988
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahou View Post
As of vol 17 Ellis is ok, not too bad but not too good. She needs to do something more impressive to make me like her.

But Sylphy and Roxy = HNGGGG.
Sylphy is always soooo cute and forgiving and Roxy is as stated above; adorable clumsiness.

On a somewhat more serious note: for Vol 18 and 19, the chapters have editing in progress next to them. So should I just leave it to that person to do all editing or is it fine to help with it?
feel free to help, its what's the labels says, a work in progress.

Also, i guess i'm the only one that likes the big breasted war goddess? how sad...
Old 2014-08-01, 11:10   Link #1989
Ahou
Worshipper of 3 Goddesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post

Also, i guess i'm the only one that likes the big breasted war goddess? how sad...
In terms of like, I do like Ellis but I find the other two a lot more enjoyable so I rate Sylphy and Roxy higher ;D
Old 2014-08-01, 11:29   Link #1990
Dormouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post

Uhh, kind of awkward to say this since I'm doing Volume 10, but my preferences actually go Roxy > Eris > Sylphy.

I sorta just took these chapters because I didn't want Ren ruining them. Uhh, so yeah. Skuizaan, Kaito, since you two like elf-tits feel free to overwrite my chapters and/or do them in my stead. I'm working on them at the moment, but would be perfectly happy for guys who like her better than me to overwrite them.

Edit: Nvm Skuizaan. Dude goes for middle-aged women and/or maids. 9:

Last edited by Dormouse; 2014-08-01 at 11:57.
Old 2014-08-01, 11:51   Link #1991
Skuizaan

Roxy is god, Sylphy is love, Eris is a bro, and Aisha is best girl.

I can't see it any way other than that.

But then I hold Lilia above all of them, so clearly my opinion is invalid.
Skuizaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 12:11   Link #1992
Kaito Yamakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormouse View Post
Uhh, kind of awkward to say this since I'm doing Volume 10, but my preferences actually go Roxy > Eris > Sylphy.

I sorta just took these chapters because I didn't want Ren ruining them. Uhh, so yeah. Skuizaan, Kaito, since you two like elf-tits feel free to overwrite my chapters and/or do them in my stead. I'm working on them at the moment, but would be perfectly happy for guys who like her better than me to overwrite them.

Edit: Nvm Skuizaan. Dude goes for middle-aged women and/or maids. 9:
Woohoo more elf tits for me!

Na, I would never replace a better translation. I prefer efficient translating after all. (I don't mind my chapters being replaced by better ones later though.
Kaito Yamakage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 12:16   Link #1993
Skuizaan

B-but I'm a middle aged guy... it's only n-natural that I like someone closer to my age, like Roxy or Lilia...

Though slave beast girls don't apply to this logic of course.
Old 2014-08-01, 12:35   Link #1994
Gubbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuizaan View Post
B-but I'm a middle aged guy... it's only n-natural that I like someone closer to my age, like Roxy or Lilia...

Though slave beast girls don't apply to this logic of course.
Don't call the lolichan Roxi middle aged. She is 14 (as she says in the start) + 12 (story progression) = 16 years old. If you want middle aged, go for Ghyslaine/Guilléne whatever.
Old 2014-08-01, 12:38   Link #1995
Krunk

Not sure if this was posted before, but here are LQ pictures I found of volume 3.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3067379545

Horseman makes glorious appearance.

Ruijerd is mad 24/7.
Krunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 12:41   Link #1996
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunk View Post
Not sure if this was posted before, but here are LQ pictures I found of volume 3.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3067379545

Horseman makes glorious appearance.

Ruijerd is mad 24/7.
Who's the horse guy again?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-01, 12:45   Link #1997
Kaito Yamakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Who's the horse guy again?
Nokopara,
Spoiler for Roxy:

Nice find on those images, I think there's some missing though... some low quality scans still better no scans... that will tide us over until Vanant gets his volume 3.
Old 2014-08-01, 12:47   Link #1998
Skuizaan

Quote:
Don't call the lolichan Roxi middle aged. She is 14 (as she says in the start) + 12 (story progression) = 16 years old. If you want middle aged, go for Ghyslaine/Guilléne whatever.
Roxy is around 50 when she marries Rudeus.

She was 40ish when she was tutoring Rudeus as a kid.
Old 2014-08-01, 12:50   Link #1999
Gubbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuizaan View Post
Roxy is around 50 when she marries Rudeus.

She was 40ish when she was tutoring Rudeus as a kid.
No, she is 13, at most 16. She will remain a teen for another 50 years or so after which she would turn 25 or something. Anyone saying otherwise is a heretic.

Edit-----

Sorry, she will remain a teen for next 100 years or so:

Spoiler for The teen Roxy:
Old 2014-08-01, 12:54   Link #2000
Kaito Yamakage

Quote:
No, she is 13, at most 16. She will remain a teen for another 50 years or so after which she would turn 25 or something. Anyone saying otherwise is a heretic.
Really gets the point across that in this world you must TRUST NO ONE!!

Waking up in the bed in the morning with a hot chick next to you feeling good, then you realize she's a snake underneath the covers.... What did you do last night when you were drunk?

Sleeping with a sexy SM onee-chan last night then in the morning you wake up and find loli-rika next to you. Damn it illusion magic!

And don't even get me started on the traps.

Tags
alternate world, fantasy, gods, harem, incest, og isekai, polygamy, reincarnation, seinen, time travel, true harem, webnovel