Old 2014-10-03, 00:41   Link #21
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

First thing that came into mind?

Bellri = Amuro
Aida = Sayla
Raraiya = Lala
Noredo = Frau

Honestly, this felt like Mobile Suit Gundam than even SEED did... if it weren't for the fact that Senpai seems to be destined to be the next masked pilot of the series, which is the only thing that left me WTF upon seeing the ED.

Overall, I thought that the pace was neckbreaking. I have no idea who half the characters were; how they convinced Aida to get out of her hatch when, though restrained, the G-self seemed all but invincible; why the 'rescue' team didn't seem to have ANY regard for the safety of the place that was holding their rescue mission's target; how that officer who gave Bellri a lift didn't recognize their #1 important captive; why didn't Noredo snitched on Aida if she really hated her so much; and what the heck is that research department and why'd did fight have to happen when they already 'consented to it'?

So yeah, while I liked the throwback to the old school art-style, and I love mecha battles as much as the next gundam otaku, I can't say this was a good start at all. Can't really recommend this to anyone but to those people who already liked old school mecha, sadly enough.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 00:42   Link #22
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtwoN View Post
I don't know what to say. Just feel so weird.

But I see many potentials. Hope that the series will be execute well.
The weirdness is what makes it memorable. It's different from many of the other shows that have come out, for better or ill.
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 01:20   Link #23
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Finished watching both episodes and while I have high hopes for this series, the art direction feels a bit off for me. Sure that I love the retro-ness for Reconguista in G, but it's not enough.

Also, I wonder if those pirates have two G-Self units: One piloted by Raraiya and the other piloted by Aida? I hope that I didn't see double...
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 01:25   Link #24
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Omg. Tomino and his dialog and naming schemes. Such nostalgia. No idea if this Gundam series will be any good or not, but as someone who's love of Gundam is largely rooted in the Tomino era, it's definitely comforting.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 01:42   Link #25
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Finished watching both episodes and while I have high hopes for this series, the art direction feels a bit off for me. Sure that I love the retro-ness for Reconguista in G, but it's not enough.

Also, I wonder if those pirates have two G-Self units: One piloted by Raraiya and the other piloted by Aida? I hope that I didn't see double...
Just in case I'll put the info in spoiler tags for those who have not been following the spoiler/speculation thread:

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 03:30   Link #26
monster

Woah, episode 2 was something else.
Spoiler for episode 2:
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 04:54   Link #27
Gundamx

lol at next episode preview

Quote:
Bellri: it's not because I fell in love with the lady pirate at first sight
since most of us thought at the begining he will do all that shit because he love her at first sight .

And I think sub should change from killing him to murder him since Bellri did killed him but he was not murder.
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 05:32   Link #28
ookamigirl

Decided to watch episode 1 on a whim.
Gundam 00 was the first I've watched & the ones that followed did not peak my interest.
So far I like what I'm seeing.
Reminds me of older anime style.
Newbies doing training.
That Bellri caught my eye. He seems very capable.
But skipping it..

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 05:38   Link #29
Chosen_Hero

I feel like I've just watch old school gundam designs with Transformers G1 animations... I... I don't even... I don't know what to think yet.

I will say this I'm betting in Bellri being Aida's relative in some way.
Old 2014-10-03, 05:46   Link #30
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
I feel like I've just watch old school gundam designs with Transformers G1 animations... I... I don't even... I don't know what to think yet.

I will say this I'm betting in Bellri being Aida's relative in some way.
So incest route or MC being with current girlfriend all season.
Old 2014-10-03, 05:52   Link #31
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Just in case I'll put the info in spoiler tags for those who have not been following the spoiler/speculation thread:

Spoiler for Spoiler:
There's one G-Self only (for now). It changes colors based on the pack it wears. Not really a spoiler since you see those variations in the ED.

People should read this article first before attempting to watch

http://en.gundam.info/topics/white/34204
Old 2014-10-03, 07:07   Link #32
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Painfully boring, I actually skipped through most of the parts and even the action scenes can't pull me in... I'll give it few more episodes.
Old 2014-10-03, 07:15   Link #33
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Is the MC a super pilot? if so, I hope he stay that way and don't become a newtype. I'm tire of protagonist with OP Jedi Mind power driving Gundam's, stick with pure skills and instincts to win.
Old 2014-10-03, 07:16   Link #34
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
Just watch episode 1 it is odd like it just jump from place to place and the begining was really werid random gundam fight. Even if the creator of gundam said this is for this generation kids I can see theme being turn off by the art and old school animation, I also think this show trying to pan to the original fanbase of gundam too like 1979-1988 or Tomino trying to do a remake of turn A from what i heard did terrible in rating or was it toy sells. overall Good to okay episode. I find it funny that both Aida and Monday look betrayed when G open it hatch for Bell I guess G was NTR from them Monday seem kind of mentel in a sense with her lines pretty much being G! G! and G! I guess she inove with it Setsuna and her would get along fine.
Old 2014-10-03, 07:39   Link #35
Vaans
NEET

When I saw the art style the first thing pops out of my mind is Eureka 7. I kinda like it. It has a nostalgic feel.

http://coolfunnyquotes.com .”
Vaans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 08:24   Link #36
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dahm View Post
I don't think he's a pacifist I just think he doesn't particularly see any reason to kill anyone if he doesn't have to. Also that sucks because I surprisingly liked Noredo when I thought I wouldn't. There's obviously some racism going on to these Kuntara people in the Amerian culture but she just sort of rolls through it and is trying to keep Bellri out of trouble as much as she can. She kind of reminds me of Sochie Heim from Turn A Gundam somehow, just kind of outspoken, headstrong and determined.

I also don't think that it's two factions facing each other but there's definitely at least a few at play. The pirates just seem to have some sort of goal which Aida kind of hints at having something to do with setting up solar panels. Bellri says some reason why they think they can't do that but it's cut off by the sounding of the fighting outside the castle and then she slaps him. There's definitely something going on there. Also they talked about how there's a Capital Guard but now there's a Capital Army division that the kids seem confused about which seems to hint at military expansion since a guard does just that while an army invades. The religious leader also seems interested in the G-Self since he personally came to see it at the end of the 3rd episode and it looks like they'll be taking over the the jurisdiction. I think the Capital Army is going to try to take control of it too. There was also some visiting dignitary at the party they were having in the Capital so there's that to consider too. Supposedly the 3rd episode has a lot of exposition about the politics of the Reguild Century which should help flesh a lot of things out.

Oh one other thing I found curious is the way they talk about the G-Self and how the girl reacts to it is like it's a living entity. It also moved on it's own to kill that Captain Cahill guy Aida seemed close with which seems to have led to some confusion as well since Aida thinks it was Bellri that killed him. Aida also seemed to think it wasn't operating and responding to her right either when she fought Bellri and there was also something the Captain mentioned about an Iris Sign which Bellri had as did Aida and his was flashing a lot brighter than hers. Just some food for thought. There's clearly a lot going on here but we're also not meant to understand it all yet as I figured going in so I'm kind of just ready for the ride.
It was really the questions he just kept asking Aida about why she was a pirate and that it was because of people like her that people died or something like that. One of the questions he asked made me flashback to early Kira Yamato and I immediately rolled my eyes at another potential pacifist MC. Hopefully it's like you're saying and he'll be less angsty about that. Sometimes he rubs me the wrong way, but we've got time, hopefully we'll see him grow.

As for slingshot girl, who hasn't earned the right for me to use her name yet, I'm glad you like her and I guess somebody has to, but I can't stand her. Her dialogue, her actions all seem to be designed to piss me off. She reminds me of a petulant, jealous childhood friend that has a crush on the guy and will therefore be a jerk to any other love interest. It's a possibility that she will become a better character, but right now, I couldn't be happier if she was the first to get killed off.

As for the story, yeah, we're really going to have to wait and see. The way I understood it so far is that there are two main groups against each other: these Capital guys and the Amerian guys and that the pirates are sort of a third party (the unofficial Orb I'm guessing) however there is also some connection between the pirates and the Amerians from what was said in the first episode. As for the iris thing, I didn't think it was any brighter with Bellri than Aida, in fact it seems to flicker a bit with him, while it is steady with her. I'm guessing that whatever it is, has just been activated in him, while she's had it for a while. The first thing that popped into my head was that they are related somehow, why he has it and why he's the only other one that can pilot G-self. However, we will have to see how the series unfolds.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 09:41   Link #37
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Since this is a Tomino series, I know this series’s gonna be weird to some degree. But the thing is, although there are indeed weird things in episode 1 & 2, I don’t really feel weirded out like some others did and can actually keep up (more or less) with Tomino’s signature fast-paced dialogues and busy sequences. Maybe this is an indication that, after watching and re-watching his works (MSG, Zeta , ZZ, CCA, F91, Victory, Turn-A, Brain Powered, etc) my brain slowly able to synchronize with his style of storytelling . But seriously, these episodes are good if you can (and willing to) get used to the relentless nature of Tomino’s storytelling. I honestly have no idea how can anybody be bored with these two episodes when so much is happening on screen where we can learn about many things from the characters’ interactions (the technical things about space elevator, the state of the world, the military, the culture, etc), unless you’re not interested and just shrug them off as boring events. For those who are expecting another Valvrave, Aldnoah or heck even Gundam SEED or 00, I’d say you’re watching the wrong series. You might wanna push the eject button now.

Some related notes:
  • The MC seems to be a combination of both smart MC and the usual lively hot-headed MC. I like that. He reminds me of Shiro Amada
  • In episode 1, the atmospheric G-Self was actually carrying the red shield while the Space G-Self was carrying the blue one, which is totally opposite of the marketed HG model kits. So, I suppose the G-Self will swap (or changed the shield’s color) in later episodes when Bellri pilots it. I wonder what’s the deal with that. Is it compatibility issue?
  • Aida, what kind of shampoo did you use to be able to charm Bellri like that after flashing your hair near his face?
  • I love how G-Reco broke the cliche of hot scientist woman/mother. Thanks to the chara-designer, Bellri’s mother actually look her age. I respect whenever a designer refuse to sex-up characters just for the sake of it.
  • So... Iris is the new Newtype? (hey, there's a rhyme to that! )
  • I like the Op and The ED is hilariously fun. Well, at least it doesn’t feature a naked baby floating in space like Tomino did in Victory Gundam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The main character sure loves to talk to himself when in a fight.
It’s Tomino’s typical narrative method (which also shared by other directors & authors. Usually from the shounen genre): have the character say what they think and what they will do out loud .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
As for slingshot girl, who hasn't earned the right for me to use her name yet, I'm glad you like her and I guess somebody has to, but I can't stand her. Her dialogue, her actions all seem to be designed to piss me off. She reminds me of a petulant, jealous childhood friend that has a crush on the guy and will therefore be a jerk to any other love interest. It's a possibility that she will become a better character, but right now, I couldn't be happier if she was the first to get killed off.
Heh, I enjoy her character so far. I kinda understand her personality partly because she got the racist treatment from many people that we’ve shown here for god knows how long, and it seems Bellri is one of few people who’s actually nice to her. I think the early racist Fllay is much worse and piss me off a lot more. Also, I think she shot Aida’s booty to save her from falling, but Aida was offended (who won’t? ) and literally and recklessly jumped on her. Just saying.
Old 2014-10-03, 09:50   Link #38
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Second episode definitely confirms this show as having a very weird feeling to it. That's probably the best way I can describe it right now. From the plot to the characters. Somehow just hard to take some of these people seriously and then they have Aida breaking down emotionally at the end there.

Not bad overall though. Will again see where this goes.
Old 2014-10-03, 09:56   Link #39
HandofFate

Watched the first two episodes, never really watched any other gundams, so a few of the namedrops and technology dropsare kind of out there for me.

The MC is interesting. There's a lot of more girl characters than I expected from what I heard about the gundam series in general.

Brown girl is really annoying. A drinking game with her everytime she says G would be a disaster.

Slingshot girl is cool, I like her spunk. What race is she? Some people mentioned it.

Pirate girl, okay.

T_T poor Captain.

Episode 2 was kind of weird, like why was everyone letting the Pirate girl stick with them when she's clearly the enemy, and part of the forces attacking? Tie her up. And then they're both surprised when it ends badly.
Old 2014-10-03, 10:08   Link #40
Revan21

It was extremely childish, even more so than AGE, and a lot more stupid.
It seemed like non of the characters could even imagine that a mobile suit battle involves actual deaths, so everyone is genki and trusting towards the terrorists, who are handled like misunderstood school bullies or something.

Hurry up with GBF, because I'm dropping this right now.

Note: I have watched every Gundam there is, but I cannot show the slightest interest towards this one. Everything is just too lame about it.