AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2016-07-29, 11:23   Link #421
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eblion77 View Post
Plus, I'd like to think that Sue will be happy with Madarame and Saki will continue being happy with Kousaka. Now there's two relationships that will need to break apart in order to serve a Spotted Flower ending and I would hate that.
I think the seeds are there though, going back to Saki complaining about Kousaka watching an anime while having sex with her. Then there's her constant concern over Madarame. But, unless Kio-sensei decides to continue the Genshiken story, we'll never know for sure.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-29, 11:27   Link #422
Kazu-kun

Saki complaining about Kousaka watching anime during sex was a gag and it happened once. More importantly, if you re-read the whole manga you'd realize Kousaka wasn't that bad of a boyfriend. He was actually pretty insightful about her problems, and was there for her when it mattered.

Mind you, Kio probably forgot about all that. lol
Old 2016-07-29, 14:00   Link #423
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Saki complaining about Kousaka watching anime during sex was a gag and it happened once. More importantly, if you re-read the whole manga you'd realize Kousaka wasn't that bad of a boyfriend. He was actually pretty insightful about her problems, and was there for her when it mattered.

Mind you, Kio probably forgot about all that. lol
I don't know about that being a gag. Saki complained about that as if it wasn't something that happened to her. She also has made mention of how he doesn't make demands on her, even though she'd do anything he asked.

You are right that Kousaka is insightful. When he was playing a game, he did stop to give her a little attention before going back to his game. However, it is this part of Kousaka that I can see him saying something to Saki lie, "You really care about Madarame's well being" and then sending her his way.

But that's all fantasy now since Genshiken is no more.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2016-07-29, 14:35   Link #424
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Saki complaining about Kousaka watching anime during sex was a gag and it happened once.
Not only that, but the joke was early in the original series run (I remember Ohno was there, but I'm pretty sure it was pre-Ogiue). Saki and Kousaka have remained together for three or four years since then.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 10:18   Link #425
kniteowl

Decided to take a break from genshiken and it's spoilers because I thought that the Madarame harem arc was over then I get a notification that a translation of chapter 125 was out. Damn that curve ball! Saki-neechan always knows how to remedy these problems lol.

I come here to discuss it and learn genshiken nidame is ending and chapter 127 is the final chapter? WTF!?

Ah well the ride was fun while it lasted. I assume its a Mada/Sue ending and I ship that but still... I'm gonna go on genshiken black out until chapter 126 is translated. I missed the days when you read a new chapter and be surprised lol.

As for the Mada/Saki true ending. I'm satisfied with this even though does seem out of reach.

Last edited by kniteowl; 2016-07-31 at 10:37.
kniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-04, 12:40   Link #426
ccesarano

You folks are absolutely fascinating. I only read the past few pages and may read through more, but I'm just amused by some of the debates and arguments.

In regards to Mada X Saki, all I'll say is evidently, in its original Japanese, Kio's statement of "They're not related" re: Genshiken and Spotted Flower could be taken as a wink wink nudge nudge. After all, they're two comics in competing publications. You can't exactly say "Oh yeah they're totally related".

That said, I'd be down for it to be alternate universe.

In regards to Nidaime not being enough like the original Genshiken, volume 125 seems rather fitting. After all, that's what Madarame complains about. I am somewhere in-between in regards to how I relate to the different characters within that scene itself. Having to sit around and listen to co-workers gossip and such all day, I can understand Madarame wanting to just sit with his buds and talk about the media and such he cares about.

But if you go back and think about Genshiken as a whole, it's a story about a safe space being invaded by an outsider. Yes, it also allows Saki to grow beyond being a shallow person (and admittedly, that she began dating Kousaka for shallow reasons led me to theorize Spotted Flower was canon, because that's just a bad premise for a relationship). However, Saki also acted as a catalyst of change. Rather than just sitting in there reading Doujin all day, Sasahara was driven to try and do something with Genshiken, discovering the assertive side of himself that would be what drew Ogiue to him. In the end, Genshiken is about true acceptance of oneself, and where all the characters are in Chapter 125 suggests that everyone has grown beyond the Genshiken but Madarame. He's still not true to himself, and in the end he's the only one that has failed to grow. He clings to that safe space where Saki first invaded, and he has never truly forced himself to face his feelings for her. It's too risky. Where he is, being an Otaku that reads doujinshi and beats off to hentai games, is a known variable and is thus comfortable.

But that's only approaching how Madarame's arc has continued from Genshiken and into Nidaime. Another fascinating thing about Genshiken as a whole is that it works as a character study. Nidaime takes Genshiken from being a male safe space that gets invaded and turns it into a female safe space, and explores all the nitty gritty trials of that dynamic while simultaneously tackling Madarame's refusal to grow. Now, I haven't read 126 and might wait until 127 is out, but I'm hoping to reread all of it within the year (if I can) and get a better handle on the story once I know its conclusion.

As long as they don't pull a How I Met Your Mother I think I'll be happy.

But, to say that all the characters have regressed is, I think, false. The story is primarily about Madarame and Hato, yes, but more in that neither one of them has really been true to themselves or their feelings. But, until I see the end, I'd rather not get into that. In addition, that territory can really cross into some debates and arguments in regards to the sexuality of fictional characters and good God I've already developed a headache just thinking about it. In any event, Ogiue has evolved, Ohno has evolved a little bit, and Yoshinori and Yajima have evolved. They've handled Hato's resolution, and now we're about to get Madarame's and based on commentary here, Sue's.

The only people that don't really grow are Angela or Keiko, but in reality, were they ever really part of the group? I don't think so, and in the end they are the characters that don't even matter. Angela is just a straight-up temptation (that would probably cause him to blow his load within seconds) and Keiko is a temptation of a different sort: by not being an Otaku, she does resemble Saki. She also resembles that mildly antagonistic relationship present. But Keiko is more malicious and selfish than Saki, who learned to open her heart and see the hearts of others.

Genshiken Nidaime is different, and I'll be honest, the only pairings I'd have been happy with in the end were Madarame x Saki or Madarame x Sue. That it looks like we'll be ending on the latter? Yeah, I'm fine with that, and I'd like to reread the series to see if that's the direction it looked like Kio was planning on going (there are theories that Hato was meant to be the main attraction, but evidently Sue was frequently beating Hato out in popularity polls? I don't have any sources so I'm willing someone to cite sources and prove me wrong. It'd also just be speculation without real proof, anyway, unless the author came clean to such a thing).

I dunno. In the end, I like Genshiken as a whole. If Kio makes a third generation, I'll be there, but considering how much time he spent on this series, I'd only want to return if he felt like there was something left to say. Otherwise I'd rather check out his next project.
Old 2016-08-08, 07:47   Link #427
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Form one side I'm happy the story acknowledged how poor of an excuse was the one that Madarame gave for Sue.

From another side, though, I'm displeased by the fact that in the end it feels like someone else made the choice for Madarame. Sue was basically thrust on him on the sole ground that he didn't have a real reason not to date her.

If only I had seen anything that convinced me that he had feelings for Sue before then it would be different. But whatever, I guess...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-08, 11:08   Link #428
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
If only I had seen anything that convinced me that he had feelings for Sue before then it would be different. But whatever, I guess...
I believe Kio-sensei is using one of the omake strips from the original Genshiken (can't remember which volume off the top of my head), where Sue is riding on Madarame's shoulder's and he becomes aware of her as a girl.

Old 2016-08-09, 14:45   Link #429
ccesarano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Actually this is a very good point. For most of this arc my brother and I have essentially said to ourselves "I just want Madarame to tell 'em all to go blow", but clearly the only reason he's doing that is because he's been dead set on not letting go of Saki.
Old 2016-08-23, 09:26   Link #430
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
I am predicting, but there are some bookkeeping to be done, namely, a new club president to welcome in the new members, of the three freshmen turn sophomores, I am placing my bet on Yajima, Rika is too playful and Hato too passive, Yajima, being the normal one with a sense of responsibility, should be it.
apparently I haven't lost my touch, yet, the first half (with 3 COLOR pages) of the final chapter is already out, so this is confirmed.

Spoiler for 127:

Last edited by Hata; 2016-08-26 at 17:31. Reason: correction
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-23, 13:48   Link #431
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
apparently I haven't lost my touch, yet, the first half (with 3 COLOR pages) of the final chapter is already out, so this is confirmed.
You've always been pretty good at predicting things.

Old 2016-08-23, 16:19   Link #432
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
You've always been pretty good at predicting things.
that is actually one of the easier one, the chance of being right is one in three.

btw, a couple of unrelated things.

yes, Grand Blue is good, it is easily in my top 10 current manga, and the funnest one so far, 25? chapters and going strong, (the introduction of imouto really speed things up.)

and materials for your blog, Viz 30th wall
https://www.viz.com/blog/posts/exclu...shi-from-japan
https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/749023798930788352
Old 2016-08-26, 13:55   Link #433
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
btw, a couple of unrelated things.

yes, Grand Blue is good, it is easily in my top 10 current manga, and the funnest one so far, 25? chapters and going strong, (the introduction of imouto really speed things up.)
Heh! OK, I'll have to give that a look-see then.

Old 2016-08-26, 17:26   Link #434
Hata
時の異邦人

upon reading the full raw I made some minor corrections to the chapter spoilers.

there is a little booklet of 30 various Kodansha mangaka drawing congratulation Shikishi as give away on the same Afternoon magazine with the final chapter, and you can tell which mangaka took the efforts and which just fills in the order, the one that stands out?

Hitoshi Ashinano (Yokohama shopping guide): a cute Ogiue
Hitoshi Iwaaki (Parasyte): a scary Madarame!
Hiroki Endo (Eden): an even more scary zombie Madarame!!
Daisuke Kimura (Marginal Operation): a sexy Ohno,
Hiroaki Samura (Blade of Immortal): a very cool Saki,
Kenji Tsuruta (Spirit of Wonder): an even more cute Ogiue
Makoto Yukimura (Vinland Saga): a very cool Madarame
and in the end Kio sensei give us a little one page swimsuit special of Ogiue, Ohno, Sue, and Madarame as last words and final thanks,

on the other hand, Fujishima Kyosuke's Hato is just disappointing, consider he is embroil in marital trouble may be that is to be expected.

Last edited by Hata; 2016-08-27 at 00:05.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-26, 22:39   Link #435
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:

on the other hand, Fujishima Kyosuke's Hato is just disappointing, consider he is embroil in marital trouble may be that is to be expected.
I know he recently married a young cosplay girl recently, said girl being pregnant. What marital trouble is he in?

As to the 20 page extra, that was a nice addition. I loved the beach image from Kio-sensei at the end. I can't wait to see a clean copy of the cover art for the booklet.

Old 2016-08-27, 00:04   Link #436
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
I know he recently married a young cosplay girl recently, said girl being pregnant. What marital trouble is he in?
Fujishima’s first wife was his assistant, had a kid, and divorced. the kid is believed to be older than the cosplayer!

he was living with a second female which he often attend banquet with up to two years ago, now the rumor/guess is Fujishima had broke with her over the coser, (hard to imagine he is still with her while marry to the coser)

the cosplayer is at the minimum the THIRD wife, she declares pregnancy and marriage on her own twitter without confirmation from Fujishima, Fujishima just saying he would take cares of her and she mistaken it as confirmation of marriage, and even the cosplayer eventually delete her marriage twit, finally after a couple of weeks Fujishima confirms they will get marry.

https://twitter.com/fujishimakosuke/...10940518854656

now Fujishima is 50+ (born in 1964), this cosplayer is 20 years old, with a pair of knockers (J cups) to boot, and going by their twitter these two starts to have a relationship two years ago, when she is 18 an he is 50! this is even more extreme than when Ken hits on his wife who is 15 years younger, so funny how many of the cosplayer’s otaku fans whom fab to her were heartbroken over this, (talking about sending razor mail to Fujishima.) it is quite apparent, at least to me, Fujishima was just a playboy playing around, and got checkmated over pregnancy and public opinion. (the delay confirmation) and there is no saying it is true love from the coser, since she got a video game seiyu job without any qualification simply because on Fujishima’s recommendation when Fujishima was the CG designer of that game.

BTW the twit confirmation marriage is 07/06, Fujishima’s birthday is 07/07.

an interesting fact from this, the CGI drawing tablet company WACOM’s stock were immediately up upon this news, the thinking is, to get 30 years younger hot j-cup cosplayer girl, you need to be a mangaka, and they actually have WACOM’s stock chart over that time as proof, (+4%)
Old 2016-08-27, 11:52   Link #437
AstroNerdBoy

Thanks for the info Hata. I just knew Fujishima-sensei had hooked up with a young babe and cracked a joke about him living the life of those Ojisan x hot young babe stores. Of course I theorized that otaku would say, "If it can happen to Fujishima-sensei, it can happen to me!" However, I forgot the otaku don't like it when their waifu of whatever type has sex with someone.

Anyway, I didn't know (or had forgotten) that Fujishima-sensei had been married before, divorced, hooked up with someone else, left them, and how is with the 20 year old babe. It wouldn't surprise me if they get divorced in a couple of years, mainly because I agree with you -- there doesn't seem to be love here, only lust.

Oh well. Here's to waiting for the final chapter of Genshiken in unofficial English.

Old 2016-10-19, 13:57   Link #438
ChronoReverse

Final chapter is available now. Colour pages! And the one I expected to become president did.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-20, 12:24   Link #439
AstroNerdBoy

Sad that it has ended. I wonder what he'll do with Spotted Flower.

Old 2016-10-20, 12:49   Link #440
Ulin

Quote:
Sad that it has ended. I wonder what he'll do with Spotted Flower.
He can always make a third part (As long as it is more similar to the first Genshiken )
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen