AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-08-16, 17:04   Link #261
Brother Coa
Banned

Episode 7.

Mugi had quite the adventure in this episode. And I agree that what she did was really dangerous, even if she has best of intentions. Thankfully Japan is secure country, like many other countries. But ins some she would have been picked off and never seen again.

So reaction of her father, who just lost his wife recently, was more than expected. Even if it was hard for me watching him shout at her. And she got it really easy, some parents would beat the hell out of her in some countries and cultures.

And I don't understand that he only locked upper lock that is easily unshockable form the other side. I understand that Japan is pretty secure country but still. When I lock my doors I lock all locks and then I lock second door, just in case. I doubt I will ever be robbed but better to be sure than to heal wounds later on. Also, Mugi is 21'st century kid, she should have no problem operating phone even at that age. teaching her how to call Iida next time instead of heading alone in the street is good idea.

Still, the rest of the episode was good as the previous ones. And we saw some of Iida's past. I do hope we will see more of it in future episodes.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 20:01   Link #262
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

I don't think I've ever been as pissed before while watching an anime as I was while watching episode 7. For one, the teenage brat was about as bright as a black hole. Any teenage kid I know who found a kindergarten aged girl wondering around a big city by herself would at least have the brains to contact the parents or guardian, if she knows them, or the police if not. It boggles my mind just how f#$!@#% dumb she was.

When she started to butt in when the dad was yelling at the kid, I just wanted him to tell her to "SHUT THE HELL UP. IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS." Who the hell does she think she is? The mom? What the hell does she know about raising a kid?

And, of course, the real reason she wanted them to come back to her place was not because she felt bad for the kid, but because she wanted to spend lovey-lovey time with the dad.

That's it. I'm done. The only reason I was watching this was the kid was so adorable, but that teenage brat has ruined what little enjoyment I got out of the show.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 20:07   Link #263
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Why do you think so? Crime or other reasons? I know in many places I lived in the prominent danger would have been reckless drivers, though she seemed very well educated about the dangers of crossing the road. Other than that, the biggest risk is probably that she'd lose her way... the road seemed pretty long and remembering it all for a child that age who always does it together with her father doesn't seem so trivial.
Where Tsumugi lives she had a lot of people who were kind enough to stop and help her. And it looks pretty safe there. What I was saying is that where I live, there are a lot more dangers to look out for. And while my city is great and does have its share of good people, that's definately not the norm. I live in Chicago, the third biggest city in the US, and while I still think it's great, I'm used to it's pace and its dangers. I've lived in it my whole life and know how to circumvent the dangerous. But while reckless drivers would be a major danger, it would be only one of a long list of dangers that could happen to a kid in my neighborhood. Especially for one that young, alone. Unfortunately the dangers where I am are very lethal and dangerous.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 21:38   Link #264
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I don't think I've ever been as pissed before while watching an anime as I was while watching episode 7. For one, the teenage brat was about as bright as a black hole. Any teenage kid I know who found a kindergarten aged girl wondering around a big city by herself would at least have the brains to contact the parents or guardian, if she knows them, or the police if not. It boggles my mind just how f#$!@#% dumb she was.

When she started to butt in when the dad was yelling at the kid, I just wanted him to tell her to "SHUT THE HELL UP. IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS." Who the hell does she think she is? The mom? What the hell does she know about raising a kid?

And, of course, the real reason she wanted them to come back to her place was not because she felt bad for the kid, but because she wanted to spend lovey-lovey time with the dad.

That's it. I'm done. The only reason I was watching this was the kid was so adorable, but that teenage brat has ruined what little enjoyment I got out of the show.
This is one of the cultural differences. Japanese kids are more independent.

When dad was making a scene, she was right that he needed to take it indoors. The public doesn't need to have a "show". His display of anger caused everyone in the shopping district to stop and watch. That's a bad sign.

If dad had taken some precautions, like give the girl an age-appropriate cellphone to use in emergencies then this wouldn't have happened. She could have called Kotori and Kotori would have came over with the emergency food and medicine supplies.

Last edited by orion; 2016-08-16 at 22:10.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-16, 23:27   Link #265
FateAnomaly

It wasn't an emergency though. He just needed some sleep and he expected tsumugi to just watch tv and play by herself.

I think some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill. As others have said it is not particularly strange to see kids going out by themselves in japan. None of the passerbys are overly concerned because it is normal.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 01:12   Link #266
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
When dad was making a scene, she was right that he needed to take it indoors. The public doesn't need to have a "show". His display of anger caused everyone in the shopping district to stop and watch. That's a bad sign.

If dad had taken some precautions, like give the girl an age-appropriate cellphone to use in emergencies then this wouldn't have happened. She could have called Kotori and Kotori would have came over with the emergency food and medicine supplies.
Oh come on, now it's the father's fault for "making a scene" and not making preparations (and she would've needed to know Kotori's number the first place)? Tsumugi's the one who made a mistake. She at least should've left a note saying she went to Kotori's place. That's just spoiling a child if you try to deflect all criticism from her, they'll never learn if you keep them in a bubble.
Old 2016-08-17, 01:16   Link #267
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
It wasn't an emergency though. He just needed some sleep and he expected tsumugi to just watch tv and play by herself.
I disagree. It was an emergency. For two reasons:
- He left her effectively alone, and she's way too young for that. The TV isn't a baby sitter. The TV won't help them evacuate if there's a fire.
- She's too young to tell if he needs an ambulance, and he's too sick. What if he'd taken a turn for the worse?

And even if this time, it was minor, what about next time?

Quote:
I think some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill. As others have said it is not particularly strange to see kids going out by themselves in japan. None of the passerbys are overly concerned because it is normal.
None of them think she's going as far as she is. Or know just how young she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Oh come on, now it's the father's fault for "making a scene" and not making preparations (and she would've needed to know Kotori's number the first place)?
It didn't have to be Kotori (Yagi'd be a better choice).

Quote:
Tsumugi's the one who made a mistake. She at least should've left a note saying she went to Kotori's place.
It's a bit much to expect a note from her, and it doesn't actually solve anything.

Quote:
That's just spoiling a child if you try to deflect all criticism from her, they'll never learn if you keep them in a bubble.
It is, majorly, his fault. He's the one who didn't prepare for the eventuality he'd be sick, and no, having her stay alone wasn't the right thing.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 01:43   Link #268
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I disagree. It was an emergency. For two reasons:
- He left her effectively alone, and she's way too young for that. The TV isn't a baby sitter. The TV won't help them evacuate if there's a fire.
- She's too young to tell if he needs an ambulance, and he's too sick. What if he'd taken a turn for the worse?
Oh my, that escalated fast. How did we go from "having a little fever" to "if there's a fire"?

Look, you can't take care of a kid 24/7/365 as a single parent.

Quote:
It's a bit much to expect a note from her, and it doesn't actually solve anything.
So expecting a note is too much... but being able to handle a phone isn't?

Quote:
It is, majorly, his fault. He's the one who didn't prepare for the eventuality he'd be sick, and no, having her stay alone wasn't the right thing.
You can't be prepared for every situation that may come up. Besides, he just needed a bit of rest, he was up and running a couple of hours later, it wasn't serious. Who knows what he would've done himself if it had truly been more serious. Even if he had an influenza, it's not like he's dead, he can still call the ambulance himself.
Old 2016-08-17, 01:49   Link #269
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Oh my, that escalated fast. How did we go from "having a little fever" to "if there's a fire"?
"What if there's a fire?" is a question that should always have an answer.

Quote:
Look, you can't take care of a kid 24/7/365 as a single parent.
A child needs what she needs, no matter your circumstances and excuses.

Quote:
So expecting a note is too much... but being able to handle a phone isn't?
Some phones are very simple. One button and you call a prerecorded number. Decorate the button and she'll know which one to push. If she can operate a DVD player, she can operate a phone.

Quote:
You can't be prepared for every situation that may come up.
No, but getting sick or otherwise incapacitated is something eminently predictable.

Quote:
Besides, he just needed a bit of rest, he was up and running a couple of hours later, it wasn't serious. Who knows what he would've done himself if it had truly been more serious. Even if he had an influenza, it's not like he's dead, he can still call the ambulance himself.
He was unable to get up or even keep himself conscious.
Old 2016-08-17, 02:00   Link #270
FateAnomaly

Because he really wanted to sleep. If he is that sick he couldn't possibly recover in just a few hours. Saying he has to always keep an eye on tsumugi 24/7 is like saying he can't even take a nap without calling in a babysitter or he has to always bring tsumugi whenever he goes to buy something.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 02:00   Link #271
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
A kindergarten child does not need to be babysit 24/7/365.

Quote:
He was unable to get up or even keep himself conscious.
He was up and running just fine an hour or so later. He just wanted a bit of sleep and did not fall unconcious.
Old 2016-08-17, 02:28   Link #272
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Because he really wanted to sleep. If he is that sick he couldn't possibly recover in just a few hours. Saying he has to always keep an eye on tsumugi 24/7 is like saying he can't even take a nap without calling in a babysitter
If it's just a nap, he can be woken up if need be. That's different from the state he was in.

Quote:
or he has to always bring tsumugi whenever he goes to buy something.
He does. He shouldn't leave her alone as a matter of course.
Old 2016-08-17, 06:40   Link #273
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
He shouldn't leave her alone as a matter of course.
I cannot tell from your comments, but it does sound to me that you don't think it was a big deal that she left the house on her own. Yet, you also say this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your train of thought seems to be along the lines of, "It's wrong for him to leave her alone at all, ever, but it's okay for her to leave the house without telling him while he's taking a nap (or in the bathroom), and venture far away from home all by herself where the potential for danger to her person is eminently far greater than if she were to simply stay at home."

Having been the single dad of two young girls as young and younger than Tsumugi, I would never have left them alone to go to the store to buy something, but they also wouldn't need to be supervised 24/7. I could take a nap, take a shower, whatever, and they would be okay. But if they went out on their own together, or alone, I would have just as pissed, if not more so, than the dad.

Quote:
Oh come on, now it's the father's fault for "making a scene" and not making preparations (and she would've needed to know Kotori's number the first place)? Tsumugi's the one who made a mistake. She at least should've left a note saying she went to Kotori's place. That's just spoiling a child if you try to deflect all criticism from her, they'll never learn if you keep them in a bubble.
A voice of reason! Far too many parents let their kids get away with inappropriate behavior and don't punish them, at all, when they do bad things, such as stealing a candy bar at a store, swearing, or intentionally hurting other kids (physically or otherwise). Frankly, in my experience, a public scolding is much more effective than a private one. It's an experience the kid's not going to forget any time soon and will make them think twice the next time they are contemplating acting the same way.
Old 2016-08-17, 07:16   Link #274
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Where Tsumugi lives she had a lot of people who were kind enough to stop and help her. And it looks pretty safe there. What I was saying is that where I live, there are a lot more dangers to look out for. And while my city is great and does have its share of good people, that's definately not the norm. I live in Chicago, the third biggest city in the US, and while I still think it's great, I'm used to it's pace and its dangers. I've lived in it my whole life and know how to circumvent the dangerous. But while reckless drivers would be a major danger, it would be only one of a long list of dangers that could happen to a kid in my neighborhood. Especially for one that young, alone. Unfortunately the dangers where I am are very lethal and dangerous.
Isn't chicago one of the highest crime rates in the US? lol
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 07:22   Link #275
Tenzen12

Quote:

Yes, and it's not 24/7 supervision. Tsumugi isn't newborn baby anymore.
Old 2016-08-17, 07:24   Link #276
AntonKutovoi

But the problem wasn't that she left the home. The problem was that she left the home without telling a thing.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-17, 07:44   Link #277
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I cannot tell from your comments, but it does sound to me that you don't think it was a big deal that she left the house on her own. Yet, you also say this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your train of thought seems to be along the lines of, "It's wrong for him to leave her alone at all, ever, but it's okay for her to leave the house without telling him while he's taking a nap (or in the bathroom), and venture far away from home all by herself where the potential for danger to her person is eminently far greater than if she were to simply stay at home."
Of course it's a big deal she left on her own. My points are:
- that it's his fault she felt that it was the right thing to do;
- that in some circumstances, it was the right-ish thing to do, and she's too young to really tell the difference.

And both of those could have been solved by teaching her to call someone if he was incapacitated, which he was.

Quote:
Having been the single dad of two young girls as young and younger than Tsumugi, I would never have left them alone to go to the store to buy something, but they also wouldn't need to be supervised 24/7.
He doesn't need to watch her like a hawk 100% of the time, but he does need for an adult to be available. If nothing else, and adult would have prevented her from leaving the house.

Quote:
I could take a nap, take a shower, whatever, and they would be okay. But if they went out on their own together, or alone, I would have just as pissed, if not more so, than the dad.
None of those would prevent you from doing something if they needed you and called.
Old 2016-08-17, 08:44   Link #278
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:

I think you made a misjudgement on that part. Kotori did feel bad for Tsumugi being yelled at after her "effort". And Kotori did not butt in in a bad manner. She did not try to disturb the dad's authority on her daughter or forcing her way. Kotori just tried to help calm Tsumugi down so that the two can come home peacefully, but then Tsumugi grabbed her arm and won't let go, making Kotori trapped in that situation. Also, she did not force Inuzuka to come to her place. She was offering it nicely after observing the chaotic situation with Tsumugi crying and struggling, and the dad agreed. Bottomline, Kotori genuinely cares for both Inuzukas and want to make them happy in this case, not trying to get into the dad's pants.

I think you need to calm down a little watching this episode. Maybe you need some of Kotori's cookings too .
Old 2016-08-17, 08:59   Link #279
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Of course it's a big deal she left on her own. My points are:
- that it's his fault she felt that it was the right thing to do;
- that in some circumstances, it was the right-ish thing to do, and she's too young to really tell the difference.

And both of those could have been solved by teaching her to call someone if he was incapacitated, which he was.

He doesn't need to watch her like a hawk 100% of the time, but he does need for an adult to be available. If nothing else, and adult would have prevented her from leaving the house.

None of those would prevent you from doing something if they needed you and called.
Looks like we're never going to agree about this.

I don't agree that it is his fault that "she felt that it was the right thing to do." I know from experience that, even if you teach your children the difference from "right" and "wrong" that they will decide to do what they think is best, regardless of what they have been taught. Kids are not programmable robots who will only do, say, and act as they have been taught. And, how do you know she wasn't taught what to do under adverse circumstances?

You think it's okay for her to have left on her own under these circumstances, I don't.

You seem to think that, no matter what, an adult who is physically present within the "guardian zone" of a child can prevent all foreseeable and unforeseeable incidents by planning ahead. They can't.

Instead of laying a heavy coating of blame on the dad, how about admonishing the stupid brat teenager-in-love for not having an iota of concern that this very young child was far from home all by herself without her father knowing where she was, yet acting like everything was rosey 'cause she now had an excuse for spending some lovey-lovey time with the dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
... And Kotori did not butt in in a bad manner....
But she did try to butt in as if she was an important, authoritative member of the family. The little brat was wrong to do what she did and needed to be disciplined. There is no way in hell I would have listened to that teenage brat tell me how to discipline my child.
Old 2016-08-17, 09:13   Link #280
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
But she did try to butt in as if she was an important, authoritative member of the family. The little brat was wrong to do what she did and needed to be disciplined. There is no way in hell I would have listened to that teenage brat tell me how to discipline my child.
No. Kotori did not butt in. She offered help. Again, she tried to calm Tsumugi down so that the dad can take her home, but alas, it didnt work due to Tsumugi's persistence. And I don't know what kind of personal/individual barrier you have in your country or culture, but in most Asian countries, you don't have to be a part of the family to help calm a crying and struggling child down. You just have to know them well (which Kotori did) and you'll be welcomed to offer some help. Heck, I've witnessed first-hand many instances where complete strangers (mostly mothers) helping mothers/parent with their crying and struggling child in public places and all the adult parties were fine with it.

Tags
cooking, slice of life