Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-31, 19:34   Link #4401
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
Not hypocritical. Weiss is a character Ruby has showed the most emotional investment in. It is the person Ruby is shown thinking about even in this season. And if Ruby is demisexual it would makes sense. Its the only pairing for her that actually has some buildup be it a friendship or romantic kind of(albeit not as much as Yang/Blake, which is pretty much THE romance in terms of narrative subtext)

Otherwise, as Ruby's VA said a lot of times, aromantic sexual identity fits Ruby the most and there's no man or woman in the show that would fit Ruby right now.
This is the first time I have come across the terms demisexual and aromantic sexual. Mind elaborating what this terms mean to help me better understand your argument?
Old 2016-10-31, 19:38   Link #4402
XFire
150% done

Ruby is weaponsexual. Neither Jaune nor Weiss stand a chance against her gunscythe.
Old 2016-10-31, 19:59   Link #4403
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
This thread has become more amusing than the show in some ways. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Ruby is weaponsexual. Neither Jaune nor Weiss stand a chance against her gunscythe.
I can get behind that term.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 20:37   Link #4404
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
This is the first time I have come across the terms demisexual and aromantic sexual. Mind elaborating what this terms mean to help me better understand your argument?
As a counter-point to this request, I would like to request that nobody elaborate on the term 'demisexual' and that we just instead all have a lovely, soothing evening discussing what Ren's Semblance is or something.

Speaking of, oh hey wow guys, what do we -- what do we all think Ren's Semblance is, that is definitely a mystery that needs to be discussed presently right now immediately.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 20:45   Link #4405
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Speaking of, oh hey wow guys, what do we -- what do we all think Ren's Semblance is, that is definitely a mystery that needs to be discussed presently right now immediately.
Since we are changing the topic, do you think that attack Ren used to finish off the one head of the King Taijitu has something to do with his semblance?

I also hope you know that your request makes me more curious about what the term is supposed to represent.
Old 2016-10-31, 21:03   Link #4406
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
Since we are changing the topic, do you think that attack Ren used to finish off the one head of the King Taijitu has something to do with his semblance?

I also hope you know that your request makes me more curious about what the term is supposed to represent.
Maybe? I think, given contextual clues, that was more likely meant to be a general application of Aura, since it's used to demonstrate Pyrrha's explanation of it, but then, we haven't really seen anybody else use Aura like that, I think? Someone will tell me if I'm wrong about that, I'm sure.

It's possible that Ren is just a very expert Aura user, though, who can manipulate it in ways that others can't. But, I mean, we don't have any other hints as to what his Aura might be, unless it's something that ties into the legend of Mulan somehow.

(I very nearly explained why I think we should move away from that topic as quickly as possible, but no, no, putting a lock on that before it can even start. There is no war in Ba Sing Se.)

Old 2016-10-31, 22:55   Link #4407
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The symbol reminds me of a horseshoe or something. I was thinking that one of the new characters can be associated with it (possibly a Faunus), but nothing about them was revealed in the series. Could it be that the bandit group is related to Amber?
I'd say the crazy guy who appeared this season Tyrian is more likely he seems like psycho bandit leader type. Also in season 3 when Nora had a meltdown before JNPR first tournament fight she mentioned her and Ren are orphans so I'd guess there families where killed by the bandits that use that symbol.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-31, 23:56   Link #4408
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Fox uses aura in a similar fashion as Ren at the end of volume 2 against an Alpha Ursa.
Old 2016-11-01, 01:56   Link #4409
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
In fffairness, while I know what you mean, I do think Jaune and Pyrrha were very overtly written as having feelings for each other. I think the argument could definitely be made that Jaune and Pyrrha were the show's flagship couple, keeping in mind that it's not unusual for flagship couples to have a will-they-won't-they thing going on.

But then, that's a small part of the tragedy of the situation: Their romance was cut very, very short.
Yeah, his feelings for Pyrrha were so strong that he completely ignored her and spent all his time going afte a different girl.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-01, 13:44   Link #4410
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Clearly it's making team name letters appear in mid-air. We just saw it last episode.
Old 2016-11-01, 14:11   Link #4411
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Yeah, his feelings for Pyrrha were so strong that he completely ignored her and spent all his time going afte a different girl.
I think that becomes a question of 'did the writers write this romance well,' which is not something I especially care to weigh in on: But I do think that Weiss is very much used to highlight Jaune's feelings for Pyrrha. Jaune's pursuit of Weiss, such as it is, is kind of shallow and immature, and what we're repeatedly shown is that he has a deeper and more immediate connection with Pyrrha.

Jaune and Pyrrha are predominantly subtext, I will grant you that, but it's very strong, very overt subtext, and I would hold that they're one of only two pairings in the series who get that very overt subtext (with the other being Blake and Sun).

Old 2016-11-01, 14:54   Link #4412
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So he and Pyrrha connected well and were very close friends. He still never gave off any romantic "I want you" signals the way Pyrrha did.

And yes, his pursuit of Weiss was incredibly shallow. However, if he really was into Pyrrha, he would not be going after a different girl entirely, no matter how shallow.

A guy who likes a girl but spends all his time going after an entirely different one makes about as much sense as being hungry and then sticking your finger in your throat to throw up.
Old 2016-11-01, 15:33   Link #4413
Eragon
Still Alive

Honestly, the Jaune/Pyrrha relationship (one-sided I might add) is why I have no faith in the writing team pulling off a romance arc regardless of whether it is hetero or homo. Jaune's utter unwillingness to even acknowledge Pyrrha's blatant signals (the only way she could have been any more blatant was if she was shoving her crotch in his face) is also why I'm having a hard time feeling any kind of sympathy for his loss. Instead of being decisive one way or other he just left her hanging.
Old 2016-11-01, 22:45   Link #4414
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
So he and Pyrrha connected well and were very close friends. He still never gave off any romantic "I want you" signals the way Pyrrha did.

And yes, his pursuit of Weiss was incredibly shallow. However, if he really was into Pyrrha, he would not be going after a different girl entirely, no matter how shallow.

A guy who likes a girl but spends all his time going after an entirely different one makes about as much sense as being hungry and then sticking your finger in your throat to throw up.
I think that assumes that people always behave in a straightforward, sensible fashion, and they don't.

But again, that comes down to whether the writers did a good job, because I don't think there's really any doubt about their intent, but it's -- definitely up for debate as to whether they handled it well.

Old 2016-11-01, 23:17   Link #4415
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Jaune was clearly a case of not realizing what you had until you say goodbye. The end of volume 4 episode 2 makes that very painfully clear.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-02, 05:07   Link #4416
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm fine with him beating himself up over never understanding her real feelings until it was too late. But to say they had any kind of mutual thing going at any point in time simply feels wrong. Jaune never expressed any kind of romantic interest in Pyrrha whatsoever.

You keep saying "it's subtext", but you fail to come up with a concrete example. And this behavior isn't so much "human being acting nonsensical" as it is "no way any real person in real life would ever act if they truly had feelings for someone".
Old 2016-11-02, 05:18   Link #4417
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Pretty sure there was no real subtext besides Jaune being the typical dense blockhead. It was essentially one sided from the get go. If anything, any sense of romantic attraction only came in episode 8 of volume 3. By then, it was too little too late.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-02, 09:20   Link #4418
DMurphy

I'm not sure saying something once counts as 'you keep saying it,' but who doesn't like a bit of melodrama in the morning. Or early in the afternoon, as the case may be.

I do think going 'oh, wellll, give me a concrete example (that I can't then just say is something else)' is very disingenuous, though, because if we're talking about subtext, then it is by it's very nature not concrete, because subtext is defined by how it arises from a gap in knowledge between participants in a narrative. Its whole point is that it's implicit.

That said, the fact that these two's arcs are tangled up in each other more than any other pair of characters', even the central platonic partnership of the show (Ruby and Weiss), even more than Sun and Blake, would certainly count as subtext; the fact that the end of Jaune's pursuit of Weiss coincides with him fulfilling a promise to Pyrrha would also count; the fact that Nora encourages Pyrrha to tell Jaune how she feels certainly suggests that Nora, at least, thinks Jaune would be open to the idea.

Not to mention playing a video of her on loop after she died and incorporating her armour and symbol into his shield, which remember is a family heirloom of massive importance to Jaune. Broadly speaking, that's not something you do for someone who's just a friend.

As far as 'no real person would act like that,' I don't think that necessarily holds up. Real people are more than capable of acting in some incredibly illogical ways.

I should note that I don't really ship them, or -- anyone, to be honest, but I do think the writers were trying to go for 'tragic romance' with them, and in all honesty, the touch of the dramatique that has started to filter into this discussion is a bit bewildering.

Old 2016-11-03, 04:10   Link #4419
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

First of all, when I said "You", I did not mean "You, DMurphy" specifically.

And I think it's disingenuous to say "I don't need to come up with a concrete example because subtext isn't concrete". I mean that's kinda like saying "You're just dumb if you can't see it but I'm not going to explain why I am seeing something you're not.". I understand this is not your intent but that does not stop it from sounding very much like that.

Arcs being tangled up with eachother says nothing about Jaune's feelings. Also, his actions after she died have no bearing on my argument, since my argument is "Their alleged 'relationship' was completely one sided. Except maybe for 10'ish minutes, after which the argument becomes moot due to one of the parties leaving the premises."

And if you're so convinced that it's not so unlikely, name me a few dozen real life people who go around fucking everybody except the girl they like.
Old 2016-11-03, 06:06   Link #4420
Sixth
Hu Tao

Did some of you guys really want Jaune to be forever alone in order to honor Pyrrha?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby