AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-10-05, 20:12   Link #81
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't have any particular desire for a human Admiral character.

That being said, it would be nice to get at least some sense of chain of command in future episodes. Thankfully, there is already a vague sense of Akagi and Kaga being leadership figures for their faction, and Enterprise likely being one for her faction.

As a big fan of Hood in the game itself, I'd love to see her become a leader of her faction, though Queen Elizabeth would also work for obvious reasons.

Edit: I think that the basic concept of Azur Lane (like Kancolle before it) is maybe a bit too silly/campy to mesh well with a world where we frequently see human characters, and human-filled cities. Not saying that such a thing couldn't work at all, but that it would be tricky given the overall tone and feel of the game source material here.
Old 2019-10-05, 20:36   Link #82
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

Gotta love those guys who come in watching anime and are so political, their first thought is "Hmm, the people who made this game is Chinese... Everything surely has this deep political meaning...!"
Not sure what Australia is referring to, but well, he does, it seems.
Urrgs, ironically the joke is on you guys since there have been incidents of China accusing Japan for bs reasons, while there haven't been any incidents of the majority willingly voting said party.
Also the only thing I said that people shouldn't be surprised about Japan being one of the enemies, all the sentencing mentioning "hate" came from other people

Spoiler for Nutshell version for people who want to understand Kakurin's pun:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Edit: I think that the basic concept of Azur Lane (like Kancolle before it) is maybe a bit too silly/campy to mesh well with a world where we frequently see human characters, and human-filled cities. Not saying that such a thing couldn't work at all, but that it would be tricky given the overall tone and feel of the game source material here.
The entire island seems to be filled with humans tending stalls.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2019-10-05 at 20:55.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-05, 22:26   Link #83
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
The entire island seems to be filled with humans tending stalls.
I'm pretty sure you know this and you're just joking about it, but just in case, everyone you see in the episode is a ship girl

Btw, I didn't really notice it but a friend of mine said the ending reminded him of The Last Supper with Enterprise as Jesus.
Old 2019-10-05, 22:59   Link #84
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I'm pretty sure you know this and you're just joking about it, but just in case, everyone you see in the episode is a ship girl

Btw, I didn't really notice it but a friend of mine said the ending reminded him of The Last Supper with Enterprise as Jesus.
No I don't, since the stall merchant's haven't been introduced at all and are background characters. So unless they are trade/supply ships it is fair to assume they are human.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-05, 23:26   Link #85
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For KanColle, they had Nagato more or less as the proxy Admiral in the power structure in terms of shipgirl interactions relating to missions and such.
Old 2019-10-06, 00:16   Link #86
Marina2

So I heard that in Chinese version of the game, they don't call Japanese ships with their historical name. The "code name" that Ayanami and Akagi used in anime is how they're called in Chinese version. That's nice detail.
Old 2019-10-06, 00:19   Link #87
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Oh so that's where that came from. I didn't know that.
Old 2019-10-06, 01:30   Link #88
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
also did not notice that. Now that you mention it, it does look like that.

I thought they were just having dinner near the beach.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 02:19   Link #89
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
So I heard that in Chinese version of the game, they don't call Japanese ships with their historical name. The "code name" that Ayanami and Akagi used in anime is how they're called in Chinese version. That's nice detail.
Huh, who did you hear that from? That's false.
Old 2019-10-06, 02:26   Link #90
ThorPL123
King of Harem

@Random Wanderer

Quote:
Right back at you. Just because you'd prefer there to be a male so all the fanboys can have someone whose role they can project themselves into while fantasizing about having sex with every girl in the series
AL is game where you can make a harem of shipfus, It's quite important thing for some/many players.

Quote:
doesn't mean that doing so would actually in any way improve the story.

Same might be said about Yuri thing in Anime.

Spoiler for Game Spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Let's not forget the plot will fall apart because Shikikan/Commander is the cornerstone of various arcs of the game story, the lack of the top command figure makes me worry about how they will make it .

Also Tenzen, just ignore the other dude, he is the last person to talk about coherence...
IMO, I'm also afraid that lack of Shikikan might attract radical part of Yuri fanbase that will think that AL is some Yuri/Female-only heaven, which might be annoying later(especially if they are going to consider Anime as canon).

@Triple_R

Quote:
That being said, it would be nice to get at least some sense of chain of command in future episodes. Thankfully, there is already a vague sense of Akagi and Kaga being leadership figures for their faction, and Enterprise likely being one for her faction.

As a big fan of Hood in the game itself, I'd love to see her become a leader of her faction, though Queen Elizabeth would also work for obvious reasons.

Spoiler for Spoilers from game:

I think it's more likely that Nagato would be leader of Sakura Empire.

Last edited by ThorPL123; 2019-10-06 at 09:57. Reason: Restored bit that seemed like future content; see explanation below
ThorPL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 03:55   Link #91
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
TBF, Nagato was the historical flagship of the IJN. Its just Yamato stole her thunder, with her demise painting her as a tragic legend, and a symbol of how the era of battleships is ending.

The game itself, as well as anime promotional materials, seems to have settled for QE as leader of the RN. And Enterprise seems likely to carry the Union.

As for the concern regarding a Commander character, yes, you could have a compelling human commander. Its not like there were no example in waifu-driven IP, Okazaki Tomoya for Clannad, the Producers in Idolmaster series, and for boatwaifus, Chihaya Gunsou from Arpeggio. So, from the aforementioned examples, it was quite possible to have compelling male characters that are not your terribad battle highschool harem or isekai cardboard MC or Masaki Tenchi (imo one of the most shameless cardboard self-insert MC, who also just so happen to be SPESSHUL).

But anime director seems to have decided to let characters like Enterprise carry the show.

Last edited by Sheba; 2019-10-06 at 04:10.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 04:28   Link #92
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I really liked the first episode. I know some people didn't like this part, but I especially liked the "creative license" they took in the way they represented the characters' powers on the battlefield, since this adds an element of surprise to game players and a unique visual flourish for the anime. They way they used wisdom cubes to "absorb" ships to transform was also a neat flourish, but even just the way they transformed in general I thought was well done.

Besides that, there was a fair bit of fanservice for game players in the anime; a lot of the appearing characters gave one of their "trademark lines" from the game, which wouldn't really mean much to non-game players but really stuck out to me -- but not in a bad way. I understood what they were trying to do as a first episode, and it worked to set the stage.

Obviously we'll see what happens, but it looks like the approach they're taking in this show is to make it a drama about the characters, and a (modified) retelling of the story from the game. People have speculated about the commander, and I'm of two thoughts: I think they'll either make it so that the commander exists in the anime but is always out of frame (so they'll talk "about" the commander and get orders from them indirectly, but you'll never see them), or they'll make it so that this is the story of what happens in Azur Lane without an outside commander and the heroines have to fight for themselves. (The pitch in the latter case would obviously be "play the game and command them yourself.") They haven't yet announced any casting for the voice of the commander, so although it could be a surprise, my guess with this episode is that they won't.

Just about this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorPL123 View Post
I don't think that Yuri baiting beetwen Kaga(some people argue that "body" text was reference to Amagi but still..) and Akagi [...] helped to improve the story too, but there it is.
And Yuri shipping/baiting was one of my concerns about this anime.
Spoiler for Comparison to the game:

Which, just as a general reminder for game players: no spoilers in the anime thread, and keep any plot comparisons for content shown behind spoiler tags.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2019-10-06 at 05:48. Reason: Clarify about future plot issue
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 04:31   Link #93
Tenzen12

Honestly I don't think there will be any actual romance regardless whether admiral would be guy or girl. I don't think romance is necessary in first place in Azure Lane.
Old 2019-10-06, 06:08   Link #94
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Honestly I don't think there will be any actual romance regardless whether admiral would be guy or girl. I don't think romance is necessary in first place in Azure Lane.
I don't think anyone expects there to actually be any romance, but they're just getting hung up because the fact that the game has a (very minor) relationship system that influences some characters' personalities. Without a commander character, those commander-centric aspects of their personality would be absent or changed... but the game actually provides a lore reason for that.

Spoiler for Lore specific to the game's systems -- no plot details:

To address the example that was mentioned above:

Spoiler for Comparison to the game regarding Akagi in this episode; no future plot spoilers:

So basically, if the anime chooses to go without a commander, the game itself already has a built-in explanation for any personality differences that result -- and honestly for almost any continuity differences at all.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2019-10-06 at 06:29.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 06:09   Link #95
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Which, just as a general reminder for game players: no spoilers in the anime thread, and keep any plot comparisons for content shown behind spoiler tags.
Glad that rule will be enforced here.

A few people have started writing references to the game. Spoilers to future events are not fun, and I've already added those people to my Ignore list - to be safe from potentially big spoilers from the game.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 06:18   Link #96
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Glad that rule will be enforced here.

A few people have started writing references to the game. Spoilers to future events are not fun, and I've already added those people to my Ignore list - to be safe from potentially big spoilers from the game.
Feel free to report these posts (in this or any other thread). It should be enforced everywhere, but it partly depends on if someone on staff knows enough about the source to catch whatever hints are dropped (and if other people are reporting posts).
Old 2019-10-06, 06:30   Link #97
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
Huh, who did you hear that from? That's false.
Aw, so it's false? I wonder if the code-names meant anything or were just randomly picked then.

Btw,
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Bisoku Zenshin, Azur-Lane's 4-koma manga on twitter had a chapter about the first episode airing, and it mentioned San-Diego's live show, which none of the characters noticed, and I see is not talked about by anyone in this thread either
Poor Sandy but not really

For those out of the loop, San-Diego is the one yelling WATASHI WA NAMBA WAN in the anime. In the game, she is the most common SSR ship, meaning when you are on a gacha-pulling spree (to target a limited gacha ship for example) you will more than likely to see her again and again and again and again, to the despair of countless commanders. Because of this she's often the butt of many jokes in the AL community.
Old 2019-10-06, 06:33   Link #98
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Bisoku Zenshin, Azur-Lane's 4-koma manga on twitter had a chapter about the first episode airing, and it mentioned San-Diego's live show, which none of the characters noticed, and I see is not talked about by anyone in this thread either
Poor Sandy but not really
I actually saw the 4-koma before I had the chance to see the episode, and the joke still worked that way around too.
Old 2019-10-06, 08:47   Link #99
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Speaking of Sandy, I really hope they have a scene where
Spoiler for Sandy:

Because Sandy
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 09:56   Link #100
ThorPL123
King of Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I really liked the first episode. I know some people didn't like this part, but I especially liked the "creative license" they took in the way they represented the characters' powers on the battlefield, since this adds an element of surprise to game players and a unique visual flourish for the anime. They way they used wisdom cubes to "absorb" ships to transform was also a neat flourish, but even just the way they transformed in general I thought was well done.

Besides that, there was a fair bit of fanservice for game players in the anime; a lot of the appearing characters gave one of their "trademark lines" from the game, which wouldn't really mean much to non-game players but really stuck out to me -- but not in a bad way. I understood what they were trying to do as a first episode, and it worked to set the stage.

Obviously we'll see what happens, but it looks like the approach they're taking in this show is to make it a drama about the characters, and a (modified) retelling of the story from the game. People have speculated about the commander, and I'm of two thoughts: I think they'll either make it so that the commander exists in the anime but is always out of frame (so they'll talk "about" the commander and get orders from them indirectly, but you'll never see them), or they'll make it so that this is the story of what happens in Azur Lane without an outside commander and the heroines have to fight for themselves. (The pitch in the latter case would obviously be "play the game and command them yourself.") They haven't yet announced any casting for the voice of the commander, so although it could be a surprise, my guess with this episode is that they won't.

Just about this...

Spoiler for Comparison to the game:

Fair enough, but i think that KGV and Hood part was much more spoilerish compared to Akagi's comparison that was made based on her base skin dialogues(there is her character storyline but that's another story)

I got too used to debates from AL subreddit.

Tags
sea battles, ship girls