AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-08-17, 13:29   Link #161
Frontier

Don't you just hate it when a psycho fanboy steals your love interest via boat? Kenshin's so ticked he's dramatically ripping Jine's letter to pieces .

Bold of Kaoru to remain as plucky and sassy as ever even when being held hostage by Jine, having full confidence in Kenshin, but Jine has full confidence in Hitokiri Battosai, the man he saw slay his Shinsengumi comrades and left him the only witness. That is who he wants to clash blades with, and you can tell Kenshin isn't quite the same Kenshin when he's talking normally .

Kenshin vs Jine! A fierce clash of swords between the two and Kenshin overcoming all of Jine's tricks...at least the one that doesn't end with a blade into his shoulder. And that's before Jine uses Shin no Ippo to make Kaoru suffocate to death to bring out Kenshin's game face and make him really want to kill like the old Battosai .

I didn't expect Jine to hypnotize himself into a roided out state but I love how Kenshin was able to cripple him with just his sheath. It's like dual-wielding, in a way .

Kenshin is about to strike the final blow, but against all odds Kaoru is able to break free from Shin no Ippo and scream for him to stop and not revert back to being a manslayer. It's so effective that Kenshin immediately reverts back to his normal speech pattern, to the point where Kaoru even imitates it herself. I didn't expect this to turn from tense, to heartwarming, to cute in such quick fashion .

Jine lost, but he kills himself rather than get taken into custody, knowing full well that he'll get traced back to the Imperial Government agent that hired him, showing that some things really haven't changed from the Bakumatsu era. And the only true end for a hitokiri is death. The world won't mourn the loss of Jine or Kurogasa at any rate .

Kenshin has a lot to ponder about the world, his role in it, and ultimately whether he's nothing more than a hitokiri, but Kaoru and his new companions are enough to take his mind off of it and make him commit to being a rurouni for the rest of his life. Too bad about Kaoru's ribbon though .
Old 2023-08-17, 16:34   Link #162
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I usually don't like to post anime reactor videos but this one is pretty fun. And I don't want to keep repeating myself each episode saying that "it's good".

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

She's a veteran RK fan and she reacts with the manga in hand so that she knows right away that a scene is anime-original (in this case, the flashback parts are original).
Old 2023-08-17, 18:42   Link #163
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Whew, that was a close call. Kaoru really did save the day in her own way. Call it the power of love or anything else, but she punched her way out of that really brutal situation and spoke up before it was too late. Since there probably wouldn't have been any turning back for Kenshin at that point. Credit to her for helping save him from that.

Of course great action and loved the fight. Kenshin was understandably pissed to begin with and only got so much more so once Kaoru was further dragged into it. I can't blame him for sliding back into that killer mindset and being more than willing to rip this guy apart. Loved seeing him recognize the strengths and weaknesses of his situation only to crush that guy's arm with the sheath. Shows what absolutely crazy power Kenshin has going for him.

Jine can proclaim what he wants. He has reason enough to believe it. Did almost completely drag Kenshin back into being a killer. If Kaoru hadn't been able to break free that's exactly what would have happened. So it does prove how fragile Kenshin's position is. One solid tragedy and he could snap without any chance to recover.

But that's the challenge. Holding back that side of himself that still exists and live as the person he wants to be.
Old 2023-08-17, 20:55   Link #164
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well that was some fight between Kenshin and Jine with both of them really going at it
Old 2023-08-18, 05:29   Link #165
zztop

Live-action version of the Kenshin vs Jin'e fight.

Filmed at the ruins of the Anraku-ritsuin temple grounds in Otsu, Shiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I understand and even support the decision to re-cast everything. But it's a shame, as there's no reason Ohtsuka Akio couldn't have stuck around. And with no offense intended to Sugita, that's quite a downgrade.
Amidst the ongoing Otsuka vs Sugita debate, what does the forum think of Kikkawa Koji's version? If anything I thought Kikkawa's take on Jin'e leaned more towards a quieter yet imposing menace, instead of the cackling evil madman of the manga/anime.

PS. Turns out both Kikkawa and Takeru Sato used to act in the Kamen Rider franchise. Kikkawa was in Kamen Rider W and played Narumi Sokichi, mentor to Hidari Shotarou.

And Takeru started his career in Kamen Rider DenO as its main lead, Ryotarou.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 06:04   Link #166
Amarantine

I think I can rest easy after this week, knowing the show is in good hands for Kyoto and Jinchuu. At least, I certainly felt they delivered the goods in this first genuine battle, which also contained much darker material than what came before. We even got some pretty good animation during the initial exchange between Kenshin and Jinei, but more importantly the mood and direction were on point throughout.

Another good indication of this being a fine adaptation is that the anime original material was perfectly implemented into the story. Those flashbacks certainly helped enhance Jinei's character and make his rivalry with Kenshin deeper and more personal. Only thing I would fault the episode on was that they shortened Jinei's explanation of his abilities, cutting the useful examples he gave in the manga, like how people can genuinely have trouble breathing if they believe there's something preventing them from doing it (even when the air is actually perfectly fine).

And I imagine his detractors remain unimpressed, but I personally felt Sugita very much delivered in his performance as Jinei during the character's most intense moments this week, including his haunting death scene, which is a key moment in the story that perfectly conveys Kenshin's inner conflict and how he is always walking on the edge of an abyss. He surely won't forget Jinei's last words anytime soon, with the latter being a very impactful and memorable antagonist despite his relatively brief and early appearance.

As indicated by the preview, next week the Megumi story starts. Like in the manga, we're getting the two best stories of the Tokyo arc back to back. And at this pace (and without filler episodes like in the 1996 anime), I can't help but wonder about how much we'll see of the Kyoto arc before this season is through. I'm starting to think it will be a lot more than most of us previously imagined...
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 06:37   Link #167
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
I think I can rest easy after this week, knowing the show is in good hands for Kyoto and Jinchuu. At least, I certainly felt they delivered the goods in this first genuine battle, which also contained much darker material than what came before. We even got some pretty good animation during the initial exchange between Kenshin and Jinei, but more importantly the mood and direction were on point throughout.

Another good indication of this being a fine adaptation is that the anime original material was perfectly implemented into the story. Those flashbacks certainly helped enhance Jinei's character and make his rivalry with Kenshin deeper and more personal. Only thing I would fault the episode on was that they shortened Jinei's explanation of his abilities, cutting the useful examples he gave in the manga, like how people can genuinely have trouble breathing if they believe there's something preventing them from doing it (even when the air is actually perfectly fine).

And I imagine his detractors remain unimpressed, but I personally felt Sugita very much delivered in his performance as Jinei during the character's most intense moments this week, including his haunting death scene, which is a key moment in the story that perfectly conveys Kenshin's inner conflict and how he is always walking on the edge of an abyss. He surely won't forget Jinei's last words anytime soon, with the latter being a very impactful and memorable antagonist despite his relatively brief and early appearance.

As indicated by the preview, next week the Megumi story starts. Like in the manga, we're getting the two best stories of the Tokyo arc back to back. And at this pace (and without filler episodes like in the 1996 anime), I can't help but wonder about how much we'll see of the Kyoto arc before this season is through. I'm starting to think it will be a lot more than most of us previously imagined...
I'll relax when I know Kyoto and Jinchu are going to be adapted. I'm not worried about the quality of the adaptation at this point. As for Sugita, I'm still not sold, but he wasn't a disaster or anything. He was fine - just walking in boots he wasn't really able to fill (and who could).

As for pacing, well... Right now we're getting exactly 2 chapters per episode, and nothing has been skipped. If that keeps up it would take us, theoretically, right up to the very beginning of Kyoto when someone appears for the first time. They can either stop just before or - more likely - show us that meeting and tease what would theoretically come next.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 06:42   Link #168
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

At this point there's indeed no doubt this adaptation is in good hands. They did a really good job with this episode.
Old 2023-08-18, 06:49   Link #169
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I'm also happy with the adaptation of this fight. My only gripe was how the narrator had to explain what is a battojutsu; it literally translates to "unsheating technique". We aren't that silly.

Also, I never really understood well the change of personality Kenshin has. Does he actually have a thirst for killing inside? Even his speech pattern changes according to Kaoru. Kinda reminds me a bit to Vash the Stampede from Trigun when he goes from playful to violent and then to chaotic violent.

I don't remember changes to the liveaction but the OVA seisohen made the duel different with Kenshin's weakness being that he can't peform battojutsu with his wound in the shoulder rather than the sakabato. There was an even bigger romantic subtext in the OVA as Kaoru reflected on him and told her father's testatment whether or she is ready to start a relationship with him.

Restoration also took some liberties but Kaoru was there instead impaled by Jin-e rather than paralyzed. Kenshin's wrath was similar but he uses some really made up broken moves for that minireboot. In restoration Kaoru instead grabs Kenshin before the killing move rather than yell at him as the wound wasn't that serious.
Old 2023-08-18, 06:57   Link #170
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
My only gripe was how the narrator had to explain what is a battojutsu; it literally translates to "unsheating technique". We aren't that silly.
You'd be surprised at how many newcomers who actually appreciate that explanation. Not everyone knows battojutsu. Heck, before this episode, a lot of newcomers still don't really get what "battou" means.
Old 2023-08-18, 07:36   Link #171
Amarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'll relax when I know Kyoto and Jinchu are going to be adapted. I'm not worried about the quality of the adaptation at this point. As for Sugita, I'm still not sold, but he wasn't a disaster or anything. He was fine - just walking in boots he wasn't really able to fill (and who could).

As for pacing, well... Right now we're getting exactly 2 chapters per episode, and nothing has been skipped. If that keeps up it would take us, theoretically, right up to the very beginning of Kyoto when someone appears for the first time. They can either stop just before or - more likely - show us that meeting and tease what would theoretically come next.
I would say it's clear that adapting those arcs is very much the plan and that fears that they won’t do them after all amount to little more than baseless paranoia and pessimism at this point, but hey, to each their own, feel free to worry your socks off that they will irrationally terminate the reboot of this incredibly popular series just before getting to the parts that people really want to see and that they’ve already teased multiple times.

As for the pacing, the next mini-arc has a lot of fights so there are bound to be episodes with more than 2 chapters' worth of material covered. I think a comparison to the 1996 anime is relevant, since the remake is going at the exact same pace thus far, with episodes 4 and 5 covering Sanosuke's story and 6 and 7 Jinei's.

Therefore, if the remake continues at a pace similar to the first anime's and we remove the latter's filler episodes (which this version almost definitely won't have), then the Tokyo material should end around episode 17. With 24 episodes planned for this season overall, that leaves them a whooping 7 episodes still to cover the start of Kyoto. That's a pretty decent amount, so I expect to see some iconic scenes from the beggining of the Kyoto arc this year still, which is an exciting prospect.
Old 2023-08-18, 07:44   Link #172
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I would argue that if they do intend to end the season somewhere at the beginning of the Kyoto arc, it will either be

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Ending at any point before that doesn't make any sense. I'd actually hate it if they end with a cocktease of a reveal of a certain former Shinsengumi officer's first appearance, because it inevitably leads to me favorite fight in the series.

As for the episode itself, well, it was animated so much better than arguably majority of what DEEN was able to do in the original. If they can keep it up this good then I'm excited for the Oniwabanshu (which is next), and then inevitably my favorite fight in the entire series with said certain former Shinsengumi officer.

And since people are also talking about voice acting, I think Soma Saito did a great job transitioning between goofball Kenshin Himura and the murderous Hitokiri Battousai, a performance worthy of the original.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 07:48   Link #173
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would spoiler tag that first paragraph...

We've gone almost a quarter-century with nothing but frustration where RK is concerned. I would say that assuming anything at this point is what's baseless.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2023-08-18 at 08:44.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 08:26   Link #174
Amarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I would argue that if they do intend to end the season somewhere at the beginning of the Kyoto arc, it will either be

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Ending at any point before that doesn't make any sense.
That would be my guess as well.

Spoiler for Manga spoilers and S1 finale speculation:

Quote:
Also, I never really understood well the change of personality Kenshin has. Does he actually have a thirst for killing inside? Even his speech pattern changes according to Kaoru.
Kenshin definitely doesn't thirst for killing (much less enjoy the act like Jinei). But he had to be ruthless to survive as an assassin during the Bakumatsu, so I interpret his apparent personality change as more like his old instincts from his time as a hitokiri resurfacing as he succumbs to the intent to kill.
Old 2023-08-18, 08:44   Link #175
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Also, I never really understood well the change of personality Kenshin has. Does he actually have a thirst for killing inside? Even his speech pattern changes according to Kaoru. Kinda reminds me a bit to Vash the Stampede from Trigun when he goes from playful to violent and then to chaotic violent.
The man has gone through a war. I don't think any good person could go through that without PTSD. Then imagine you have so much power that you can basically affect any change and save anyone you'd want by killing. You've already done that by killing countless people and ushering in the Meiji era, what's just one more?

This is what Kenshin faces; it would be so easy to solve problems by killing, but it would be at the personal cost of all his heart and mind. Killing requires him to discard his decision to not kill and act again like how he did during the war which is ruthless and cold.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 10:10   Link #176
AP24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
Therefore, if the remake continues at a pace similar to the first anime's and we remove the latter's filler episodes (which this version almost definitely won't have), then the Tokyo material should end around episode 17. With 24 episodes planned for this season overall, that leaves them a whooping 7 episodes still to cover the start of Kyoto. That's a pretty decent amount, so I expect to see some iconic scenes from the beggining of the Kyoto arc this year still, which is an exciting prospect.
No, the first anime had significant differences from the manga and the current anime is following the manga very close. The pacing is 3-4 episodes per volume so the season should end around Vol 7 end which is the end of the Tokyo stories.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 12:19   Link #177
grecefar

That was a really good fight, best chapter for now. I didn't recall the change of speech of kenshin when he turns into battousai, I guess it was missed since I watched the dub when I was a kid.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-08-18, 14:00   Link #178
Amarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
No, the first anime had significant differences from the manga and the current anime is following the manga very close. The pacing is 3-4 episodes per volume so the season should end around Vol 7 end which is the end of the Tokyo stories.
I don't recall the differences being the kind that would drastically change the duration of the arc, and of course, the first anime also inserted 10 filler episodes into the Tokyo arc, something this remake almost certainly won't be doing. So I definitely expect this season to reach Kyoto. In fact I think we kind of agree on the most likely cutoff point, it's just that I (and many others) consider the entirety of volume 7 to already be part of the Kyoto arc (even if the events don't take place in the city itself yet).
Old 2023-08-18, 16:19   Link #179
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
I didn't recall the change of speech of kenshin when he turns into battousai, I guess it was missed since I watched the dub when I was a kid.
IIRC Kenshin drops his humble "de gozaru" when he turned into Battousai and also uses "ore" which is a ruder way to address oneself. Those are just two of probably a number of signs of his Battousai's speech pattern that's different from Kenshin.

Kaoru rather-playfully mimicked Kenshin's "de gozaru" when talking to Kenshin after she managed to break free from Jine's Shin no Ippo this episode.
Old 2023-08-18, 20:10   Link #180
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

What a lively discussion. I have not read the manga and only watched the anime back in the 90s, so to me, all the filler stuff was just part of the overall anime experience when I was much younger.

This new anime adaptation is doing very well to have me re-live some of those memories. The fight was impressive and actually, I do appreciate the narration. It does seem a bit technical, but I hope it stays as it's good to learn the terminology (because when I was much younger, I watched it mainly for the fights and glossed over all of the names and skills).

Seeing how Kenshin can switch between his friendly "oro" side to his "hitorkiri battousai" side so quickly is amazing. He has great mental strength which made him one of the better anime protagonists in my opinion.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote