AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-06, 02:19   Link #441
GameraBaenre

And a little later in the evening..
A little update.
Ok, first I got a little over zealous with removing the bloody pinholes.... so I had to fix that mistake with some epoxy putty..

But, the weekend was fairly productive:

Still got some more work, but it's getting close....
Old 2006-11-06, 07:24   Link #442
Dirty-jin
The dirty one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
now you mentioned it
someone made a display with the figure and background music
it looks amazing !1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_43a4CabmOo
Even though it lacks yuki...its still equally Sexy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameraBaenre View Post
And a little later in the evening..
A little update.
Ok, first I got a little over zealous with removing the bloody pinholes.... so I had to fix that mistake with some epoxy putty..

But, the weekend was fairly productive:

Still got some more work, but it's getting close....
I love the glossy red .....Hmmm..... what brand of paints are you using???.. Mr color?
Old 2006-11-06, 09:59   Link #443
GameraBaenre

For the red, it's a three step process. Gloss black using Finisher's Paint (japanese brand of lacquer paints that dry REALLY fast - formulated for car model builders), Alclad II Chrome over the glossy black, then Mr Color Clear Red on top of the chrome.
Old 2006-11-06, 10:00   Link #444
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
now you mentioned it
someone made a display with the figure and background music
it looks amazing !1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_43a4CabmOo
LOL.. it was nice, but it would have worked so much more better if he spliced in some actual scenes from that episode (like zoom out to the crowd clapping, or Mai on bass) and make it look like a real AMV-with-Resin-figure-bonus instead of just showing off his detailed work. Can't blame him, I guess.
Old 2006-11-06, 10:49   Link #445
GameraBaenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
LOL.. it was nice, but it would have worked so much more better if he spliced in some actual scenes from that episode (like zoom out to the crowd clapping, or Mai on bass) and make it look like a real AMV-with-Resin-figure-bonus instead of just showing off his detailed work. Can't blame him, I guess.
Well, his only purpose for shooting the little video was to allow folks to hear his sound stage setup and see how the kit fit in with everything.

It's interesting the context surrounding the clip. Makes me wonder how many other youtube videos are misconstrued due to the lack of context for various clips.
Old 2006-11-10, 09:09   Link #446
GameraBaenre

Ok, sneak peak at some close to finished pictures of the red one: Haruhi in red 1
Haruhi in red 2
Haruhi in red 3
Haruhi in red 4
Haruhi in red 5
I should have everything done by the weekend tho
Old 2006-11-10, 09:31   Link #447
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok, sneak peak at some close to finished pictures of the red one: Haruhi in red 1
Haruhi in red 2
Haruhi in red 3
Haruhi in red 4
Haruhi in red 5
wooh thats soo amazing ... *bloodnose*
and its shiny ... i cant take it anymore
*clicks and saves all the pic*
Old 2006-11-10, 12:28   Link #448
Dirty-jin
The dirty one!!

Quote:
Haruhi in red 2
Haruhi in red 3
Haruhi in red 4
Haruhi in red 5
"Simply amazing"!!!....The bubba's haruhi resin kit is worth every penny. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive tomorrow or Monday.

Its gonna take me a while to reach your level of skill. I cant wait to see the black one finished..

edit:- Ive just notice in picture 5, you've got your trademark tattooed on her back.!!!!!

Last edited by Dirty-jin; 2006-11-10 at 13:19.
Old 2006-11-10, 12:55   Link #449
GameraBaenre

Quote:
ts gonna take me a while to reach your level of skill. I cant wait to see the red one finished..

edit:- Ive just notice in picture 5, you've got your trademark tattooed on her back.!!!!!
Heh, thanks.... I've actually only been building resin figure kits for a little over a year. My first resin figure kit was finished September 2005. As for seeing the red one finished, did you mean the black one? Cause I'm pretty sure those pictures are of the red one :P

Yeah.. the tattoos are a force of habit.... sorta like a dog marking it's territory Personalizes it a bit I think.
Old 2006-11-10, 13:18   Link #450
Dirty-jin
The dirty one!!

Quote:
Heh, thanks.... I've actually only been building resin figure kits for a little over a year. My first resin figure kit was finished September 2005. As for seeing the red one finished, did you mean the black one? Cause I'm pretty sure those pictures are of the red one :P

Yeah.. the tattoos are a force of habit.... sorta like a dog marking it's territory Personalizes it a bit I think.
My bad i meant the black... i got to over excited for the sexy red :P...all i can think of is red...
Old 2006-11-10, 14:24   Link #451
Vulcannis

Quote:
Heh, thanks.... I've actually only been building resin figure kits for a little over a year. My first resin figure kit was finished September 2005.
Wow, that's awesome for only a year of experience. Thanks for posting your progress, it's a good read.

How did you handle the ends of the stockings? Did you tuck them into the hip joint? How about the foot end? And did you use anything like glue to hold them in position? And any tips on doing the eyes?

I've got the kit as well, but I'm going to save it until I build up a bit of experience first.
Old 2006-11-10, 14:40   Link #452
GameraBaenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcannis View Post
Wow, that's awesome for only a year of experience. Thanks for posting your progress, it's a good read.

How did you handle the ends of the stockings? Did you tuck them into the hip joint? How about the foot end? And did you use anything like glue to hold them in position? And any tips on doing the eyes?
On the hip side, the stockings are just tucked in, I cut away the excess and it's only a small amount of excess stocking that needs to be tucked.

The other end was the pain in the rear part. I ended up thinning some elmer's white glue with a small amount of water and painted on the glue solution onto the stocking/leg assembly. Since the glue dries clear it works quite well. I just liberally applied the solution all over the leg, the let it completely dry. Once dry, I use a brand new blade for my hobby knife and traced around the shoe/foot seam to remove the excess. The glue keeps the stockings in place on the kit so the sharp knife does all the work. A lot of patience is needed. I went through a whole bunch of stocking sets.

As for the eyes. I painted the white with a lacquer based paint, then clear coated them with a lacquer based clear gloss. Once dried, I used a pencil to draw out the eyes, if I made a mistake, I just erased the pencil marks and redrew them until I was satisfied. Then I painted the eyes using enamel paints. Having the lacquer base, if I made a mistake, I can clean up the paint using enamel thinner and it won't remove the white layer of paint. Sorta like erasing a mistake and starting with a new white eye. Not much to it, just do a google image search for "haruhi suzumiya" and get a picture for reference and run with it. That's how I did it

I'm glad the tutorial was helpful. I actually added information about the stocking + glue, but since my webhost was having problems early this morning, I was not able to update my page.
Old 2006-11-10, 16:10   Link #453
Vulcannis

Quote:
The other end was the pain in the rear part. I ended up thinning some elmer's white glue with a small amount of water and painted on the glue solution onto the stocking/leg assembly. Since the glue dries clear it works quite well. I just liberally applied the solution all over the leg, the let it completely dry. Once dry, I use a brand new blade for my hobby knife and traced around the shoe/foot seam to remove the excess. The glue keeps the stockings in place on the kit so the sharp knife does all the work. A lot of patience is needed. I went through a whole bunch of stocking sets.
Ah, I thought that might be it. I've used thinned white glue often enough with terrain to know how great it is. You mentioned having extra sets of stockings on your site; where did you get them? Or more importantly, what are they called so I can look for them myself?

Quote:
As for the eyes. I painted the white with a lacquer based paint, then clear coated them with a lacquer based clear gloss. Once dried, I used a pencil to draw out the eyes, if I made a mistake, I just erased the pencil marks and redrew them until I was satisfied. Then I painted the eyes using enamel paints. Having the lacquer base, if I made a mistake, I can clean up the paint using enamel thinner and it won't remove the white layer of paint. Sorta like erasing a mistake and starting with a new white eye. Not much to it, just do a google image search for "haruhi suzumiya" and get a picture for reference and run with it. That's how I did it

I'm glad the tutorial was helpful. I actually added information about the stocking + glue, but since my webhost was having problems early this morning, I was not able to update my page.
Gotcha. I've not played with enamels or lacquers yet, but once I get my desk/paint booth done I'll be giving them a go. I assume you used a small brush for the eyes rather than an airbrush? And yah, there's plenty of references for her eyes--Megami's posters are pretty good for that.

Yes, it was very helpful, thanks for them. Hrm, though my questions are probably OT for this thread so maybe we should move to PM's.
Old 2006-11-10, 16:23   Link #454
GameraBaenre

The fabric I used I picked up from here: http://www.pumpers.com/arquan/arcart...ProductID=3238
I bought 1 yd of the stuff. Probably going to get some more, the stuff rocks.

Yes, I used a 5/0 brush to do the eyes. The white and clear coat was airbrushed on.
Old 2006-11-11, 08:35   Link #455
GameraBaenre

Ok, I was able to update my webpage. Here's a link of the Haruhi in red: http://www.gamerabaenre.com/1_7_haruhis.htm

Edit: Finished the other one, so I took some more pictures. Link above has been updated.

Last edited by GameraBaenre; 2006-11-12 at 08:05.
Old 2006-11-12, 07:55   Link #456
umeboshi_onigiri

Mikuru Towel is up for preorder at HobbyLink Japan. Mikuru beam!
Old 2006-11-12, 13:47   Link #457
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Though the black outfit Haruhi is more "canon" ... that glossy red outfit is *really* sharp looking (and makes her look more like the devilish bunny she can be ).
Old 2006-11-13, 22:07   Link #458
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeboshi_onigiri View Post
Mikuru Towel is up for preorder at HobbyLink Japan. Mikuru beam!
Now who wouldn't want to dry themselves off with Mikuru?

But for 5,000円, I do believe I must pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Though the black outfit Haruhi is more "canon" ... that glossy red outfit is *really* sharp looking (and makes her look more like the ish bunny she can be ).
Agreed. Red is the winner.
Old 2006-11-13, 22:31   Link #459
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Now who wouldn't want to dry themselves off with Mikuru?
Nah, no otaku in his right mind would be using this towel. It may as well be a wall-poster.
Old 2006-11-14, 00:33   Link #460
GameraBaenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Nah, no otaku in his right mind would be using this towel. It may as well be a wall-poster.
Yes, because we all know true otaku don't even bath to begin with....
Closed Thread