Notices

Old 2008-06-23, 01:43   Link #1921
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002 View Post
Spoiler for Next Chapter:

Damn you Akamatsu
I'm not an expert on how mangaka work but don't these things happen alot? Well at least he's taking time off to collect data, it makes it look like he's preparing for something good.
Old 2008-06-23, 01:50   Link #1922
Eastern_Mage

Writing a manga of 18-pages doesn't really takes one week to complete. Usually 3 days for the overall completion. It's very safe to assume that Akamatsu-sensei does a true job other than being a mangaka.

Patience is a virtue.
Eastern_Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 03:08   Link #1923
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern_Mage View Post
Writing a manga of 18-pages doesn't really takes one week to complete. Usually 3 days for the overall completion. It's very safe to assume that Akamatsu-sensei does a true job other than being a mangaka.

Patience is a virtue.
What's his other job anyway? Does he works in a clothing store? Because he always appear wearing fancy clothes.
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 07:05   Link #1924
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
I'm not an expert on how mangaka work but don't these things happen alot? Well at least he's taking time off to collect data, it makes it look like he's preparing for something good.
Meh. That seems to be the excuse every time he takes a week off.

Quote:
Yeah. And you know this from your extensive first hand experience in the manga industry?

Anyway, I saw a TV interview with Akamatsu once. He's got a hot trophy wife and a really swank home. Whatever it is he is doing for a living, he's making good money at it.
Old 2008-06-23, 09:42   Link #1925
Eastern_Mage

^^off-topics: Ken having a possible job other than being a mangaka is just my assumption. Besides, Jap magazines where Negima's being printed is being released only ONCE a week. I don't have much experience on manga, but I do have very extensive experience on literary writing as I have been writing fics since 1988. Though I just keep most of them to myself. But I do agree that data collection REALLY takes time. I also do that everytime I write my own literary pieces as research provides important story back-ups.

on-topic: Could Chisame have some, or maybe, few ideas about Asuna's past?

I also noticed that the ogre guidance teacher Nitta isn't discussed in Negima forums, huh? Lolz! :lol:

Last edited by Eastern_Mage; 2008-06-23 at 10:38.
Old 2008-06-23, 16:52   Link #1926
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Anyway, I saw a TV interview with Akamatsu once. He's got a hot trophy wife and a really swank home. Whatever it is he is doing for a living, he's making good money at it.
Yeah, the harem man's wife is hot (And she cosplays for him).
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 20:37   Link #1927
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Meh. That seems to be the excuse every time he takes a week off.

I think he wrote something on ailove.net when he got married. Appearance-wise, he is very ok. (That said, he's one of the few mangaka who actually bothers to show his face.) Read his interview with Horie Yui and Megumi-san in LH.

Negima is a money spinner. No doubts about that.
Old 2008-06-24, 01:33   Link #1928
Eastern_Mage

It seems that Negima will surpass LH's fame in no time most especially when the plot really start to thicken.
Old 2008-06-24, 02:50   Link #1929
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
It seems that Negima will surpass LH's fame in no time most especially when the plot really start to thicken.
Well, Negima's length certainly helps.

On the emotion level, LH was Akamatsu's break-out work, so it occupies a place in my heart.
Old 2008-06-24, 09:07   Link #1930
Eastern_Mage

^ Same here I liked LH a lot. I also liked Negima, but not as high as LH. I haven't read Akamatsu-sensei's first work - AI Love You.
Old 2008-06-25, 00:35   Link #1931
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Caveat: I'm reading the english licensed version which has just now finished the Festival battle with the future... so to speak.

Frankly, I thought the last few volumes were getting terribly muddled in terms of exposition and event layout (Sorry, I just don't think Ken really does hyper-action sequences very clearly). Also, character motivations started to lose the feeling of having a point when close friends were battling each other -- harder to explain my feeling on that point.

The same sort of thing happened on a smaller scale during some of the latter arcs of Love Hina --- so I guess my feeling is that although Ken has expanded his skills, he still falters in the same places for the same reasons.

He's got killer character design and enough of his story arcs are charming enough to stick with him though.... I'd like to see him get back to some of the core threads that he does so well at.

AI - I love you ... I rated that poorly mostly because I never got past the "suspension of disbelief" and it just seemed an amateurish (and un-researched) effort. Love Hina, I still consider a fantastic rambling messy classic that any student of manga should read.
Old 2008-06-26, 09:41   Link #1932
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

well Vexx ... i give you that the festival arc was slightly muddled, specially in the action sequences ... but the character motivations aren't at all losing ... the only one with a clear 'close friend' on the other side is Ku Fei, rest of chao's party is either pure mech's (Asakura, though she makes a HeelFaceTurn when getting the whole story, and Mana, whom also agree with reasoning) or people that are somewhat offcord from the rest of the class ... the class is in no way a 31 woman big collective of friends, and there is clearly diffent parties interested in diffent things that clashes together

which character motivations is it your questioning really?
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 13:43   Link #1933
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh, let me reread the sequences this weekend and I'll see if I can elucidate what is nagging me about the character motivations. Like I said, it was hard to put my finger on what wasn't working for me.
Old 2008-06-26, 14:43   Link #1934
williamaugustus
*Author

by the way who do you guys think the cloaked figure in the lower left corner of chapter 193 page 02 is?
williamaugustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 18:26   Link #1935
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:

Patience is a virtue.
Hata on the Aquastar forums indirectly disagrees with you.

Quote:
from the TV program テレビ朝日「大胆MAP」and repost on blogs and 2ch,

http://ministramagi.blog26.fc2.com/blog-entry-963.html

http://catmania.blog13.fc2.com/blog-entry-1806.html

・原稿料1枚に付き2万6千円
・アシスタントは現在7人
・1話の話作るのに8日かかるため、5週に1回休載
・単行本の印税は40円×約50万部とすると1巻で2000万円  ←
・赤松先生の年収は5000万円

-- Ken is paid by Kodansha 26,000 yens for each page.
-- has 7 assistants now.
-- each chapter took him 8 days to finish, and a break on each 5th week.
-- each single compilation is taxed 40 yens X 500,000 circulation = 20,000,000 yens.
-- each book tax is 10%,
-- Ken's yearly income is about 50,000,000 yens

comments:

-- current date, 1 euro = 168 yens. 1 dollar = 106 yens.

-- a newbie weekly manaka usually gets paid around 10,000 yens per page by the magazine, and a break each 9th week.

-- this was basically cry foul by a lot of people right away, they estimate Ken's yearly income to exceed 0.1 billion yens easy.

and BTW, Ken thinks he got a "40's aching shoulder syndrome", and appropriately enough his 40th birthday is coming up next week. (JULY 5th)

I think I will eat a hot dog in Ken's honor that day.
Just thought I'd throw that out here. It's convenient that I saw this right before I went on AnimeSuki.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 18:37   Link #1936
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamaugustus View Post
by the way who do you guys think the cloaked figure in the lower left corner of chapter 193 page 02 is?
Natsumi. Shares a room with Chizuru, Ayaka, and Kotarou.
Old 2008-06-26, 19:34   Link #1937
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Caveat: I'm reading the english licensed version which has just now finished the Festival battle with the future... so to speak.

Frankly, I thought the last few volumes were getting terribly muddled in terms of exposition and event layout (Sorry, I just don't think Ken really does hyper-action sequences very clearly). Also, character motivations started to lose the feeling of having a point when close friends were battling each other -- harder to explain my feeling on that point.

The same sort of thing happened on a smaller scale during some of the latter arcs of Love Hina --- so I guess my feeling is that although Ken has expanded his skills, he still falters in the same places for the same reasons.

He's got killer character design and enough of his story arcs are charming enough to stick with him though.... I'd like to see him get back to some of the core threads that he does so well at.

AI - I love you ... I rated that poorly mostly because I never got past the "suspension of disbelief" and it just seemed an amateurish (and un-researched) effort. Love Hina, I still consider a fantastic rambling messy classic that any student of manga should read.
Looks like I'm not the only one feeling uncomfortable about the direction of the series. Anyway, waiting for Vexx's comments after his advanced viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Hata on the Aquastar forums indirectly disagrees with you.
Hence, my "making a fool (along with lots of money) out of us" comment a while back.
Old 2008-06-27, 09:08   Link #1938
Eastern_Mage

OceanBlue: 8 days? That's a bit long, I wonder why? Maybe it's the publishing process or soemthing. Oh, well, that's their procedures. But Ken's sure makes a lot of money, huh? Y26000 a page is really some money.

Last edited by Eastern_Mage; 2008-06-27 at 10:59.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:04   Link #1939
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Where have we learned their surnames?
Sorry, I've not been reading the thread as I'm behind in the manga. I wasn't aware there was any doubt but since you ask.. Negi announced himself as "Negi Springfield" on page 20 of the first volume. I'm not sure if it was the first time Nekane Springfield's name is given in full, but it shown on a letter Negi sends her in chapter 72 (start of volume 9). To be exact, it was addressed to:

Miss Nekane Springfield
1600 Mason Street
Merdiana, Wales [something I can't make out, probably supposed to be a postcode]
United Kingdom

(note that I don't think there are any streets in Wales with 1600 door numbers..)
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 19:07   Link #1940
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
OceanBlue: 8 days? That's a bit long, I wonder why? Maybe it's the publishing process or soemthing. Oh, well, that's their procedures. But Ken's sure makes a lot of money, huh? Y26000 a page is really some money.
I wouldn't know.
But he has to draw/ink everything, and I can't imagine how long it takes to illustrate one manga page. In my opinion, it probably isn't easy, especially with the page spreads and the pages which show the setting.

It is a lot. I'm amazed that people are saying that he probably makes more.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy