AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-06-17, 22:36   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 790 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Break is over, and spoiler pics and the summary are out, thanks to AP's Redon and Aohige:

-Chapter title is "Heaven and Earth". The splash is a color page of the Straw-Hats in various cultural outfits, which seems to be in celebration of the series' Guinness world record.

-The crowd cheers on Luffy upon his return, but him and Dofla point out each others' exhaustion. The warlord then attacks both Luffy and Rebecca with strings, but the latter gets saved by Law, who shambles her to safety. Dofla then uses his awakened power to turn part of the town into string arrows, and fires them at Luffy! The young pirate tries to block them with CoA, but he's eventually overwhelmed, and gets pinned to a wall! As Dofla laughs at him, Luffy has a brief flashback of his training with Rayleigh, in which the veteran pirate even tells him that he should find an alternative to Gear 4, as it greatly wears down his body....

-Back to the present, Dofla controls Luffy with Parasite, saying that the people of the island would have been better off being manipulated. However, these words only serve to further anger our hero, and he breaks free using Gear 4! Dofla is surprised, but figures his opponent is on his last legs. The two exchange a bit more banter as they enter their final standoff, and Dofla attempts to ensnare Luffy in his Spider Nest. But, Luffy activates Gear 3 while still in his G4 mode. He then unleashes King Kong Gun while Dofla counters with God Thread!

-But in the end, it's Luffy's attack that proves successful, as it destroys the threads along with its creator. During that final attack, Law has a brief flashback of Corazon telling him about how those of the "D" lineage are considered "enemies of God". We also see that DOFLAMINGO'S GLASSES FINALLY COME OFF.

So is the fight over? Or will Dofla merge with the Birdcage and transform into his hidden super-secret final form now that he lost the shades? Find out next chapter!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-06-17 at 23:54.
Old 2015-06-17, 23:58   Link #2
marvelB

Updated with the summary! So apparently, the monster animals on Luffy's training island can tank Gear 4 better than Dofla can, lol.
Old 2015-06-18, 02:45   Link #3
game2007

With that "dramatic" flashback before King Gun is unleashed, I think the fight really has ended. The title sounds like something you would use for a chapter containing the end of a fight too.
Old 2015-06-18, 02:48   Link #4
ranchan13

Luffy's will be the Drill that Pierces the Heavens
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
Old 2015-06-18, 02:57   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Doffy's dead...the glasses broke
Old 2015-06-18, 03:32   Link #6
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I'm waiting for a better translation. Something about translation I read didn't flow quite right.

Last edited by OH&S; 2015-06-19 at 00:10. Reason: whoops
Old 2015-06-18, 04:08   Link #7
J4n1

I am not impressed.
Though i admit that due to delay, i don't think it would have been possible to impress me.

Let's hope it's finally over.
Old 2015-06-18, 04:23   Link #8
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

Cool I think it's an amazing chapter.

Holy crap, Luffy's punch broke the city in half and tore it out of the ground in the blink of an eye. How has nobody comented on this yet. King Kong Gun > King Punch?
That was an insane amount of power..

There's gotta be bigger reprocussions from using gear 3 and 4 at the same time. I assume this is foreshadowing gear 2, 3 and 4 combined someday.

It was very satisfying to see that punch pummel Doflamingo into the ground. It felt almost symbolic of his fight with Crocodile.. Because Luffy used to be on the bottom fighting his way up from below the earth and now he's looking down on shichibukai level opponents and slamming them into the earth. I think that last page ended perfectly.
(^This does not mean I think Luffy > Doflamingo in terms of power. I still believe Doffy to be stronger if they had fought on equal ground with no handicaps, but that's only my opinion.)

Loved the ending of that fight, can't wait to see where the story goes from here. In a month or two of course after the post arc comedic relief stuff
Old 2015-06-18, 04:48   Link #9
marvelB

Fun twist: Beating Dofla STILL doesn't stop the Birdcage, kinda like how beating those two BW agents didn't stop Crocodile's bomb from setting off in Alabasta!
Old 2015-06-18, 05:05   Link #10
necrolyte

Very predictable but still awesome!!

As I recall many of us guessed Luffy's final atack will be some really strong hit with gear 4 but we were hoping for something different (or maybe it was just me?). Nevertheless I think this was an awesome ending of the fight and how this "King Kong Godsled Gun" atack was drawn was really great.
Old 2015-06-18, 05:52   Link #11
imza

That was a really good ending, loved the new attack. I wonder though if Doffy will still have one last attack, ending with Law delivering the final blow.
Old 2015-06-18, 06:39   Link #12
noktown

The real question still stands, why the hell didn't he just use that technique from the beginning, would have 1HKO'D Doflamingo without all this "no haki for 10 minutes" drama.

I don't want to see what's going to happen to his body after this attack though :/

Overall, I was hoping to see something non gears related since we had a flashback to Rayleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Fun twist: Beating Dofla STILL doesn't stop the Birdcage, kinda like how beating those two BW agents didn't stop Crocodile's bomb from setting off in Alabasta!
Law in ch 786 deduced that Doffy is still conscious by the fact that the Birdcage still "hasn't disappeared", so I assume it should disappear if he gets actually KO'D.
Old 2015-06-18, 06:52   Link #13
The One Above God
Kamijou

Luffy wrecking Dolfa is really fun to see . Can't wait to see the aftermath

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
Old 2015-06-18, 07:25   Link #14
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

It's about freakin time this arc finished, finally! I'm sure many One Piece fans are thinking the same thing

Well, Dof pulled that string attack move but why the wait? I'm not even going to question any thing any more at this point, I'm just glad this things over.

Now the exciting part, the after math, what I was looking forward to the most after this mess. I'm sure the group on this Island's bounties will go up, though I don't know why Robbin's should as she did next to nothing in this arc, guess cuz she was involved in this fight at all even

Glad Luffy defeated Dof alone without any ones help, wonder what happened between Sabo and Burgress?

Guess will finally return to the rest of the group, it's been two flipping years since we saw them, now in our time it's been two years. One piece's times are really slow though for some reason

Wonder what happened to the rest of the Strawhats, place your bets on them being caught by Big Mom's crew, what do you guy's think? Yes, or no on this? Oh wait, is Wano up next or do you think will be entering Big Mom's arc, are we at all going to get a glimpse at what happened with Sanji's group? Probaly not, Oda trashes him a lot these days

Over all, in my opinion the climax to the fight felt a bit meh, maybe it was the pacing issues Oda had this entire arc along with those breaks it felt this way to me, oh well. Can't wait for next weeks

I don't think will have much time to celebrate this time.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-06-18, 07:26   Link #15
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
So is the fight over? Or will Dofla merge with the Birdcage and transform into his hidden super-secret final form now that he lost the shades? Find out next chapter!
Old 2015-06-18, 09:02   Link #16
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Of course he finishes it with a King Kong punch . Very fitting, good naming there Luffy.

I enjoyed it as a whole. Another fight where Luffy just had to put everything he had into it and just managed to pull off the win.
Old 2015-06-18, 09:25   Link #17
james0246

So...that happened. Not a bad chapter necessarily, but the break completely ruined the tension created with the last chapter. We certainly got a big attack from Luffy, but it just feels a little too late. Oh well, hopefully the fight is over now (or at least can be finished for good next chapter with or without Luffy) and we can find out whats been going on with Kaidou and Big Mom (Mam?) and the other Strawhats (god I hope the next arc isn't a 'rescue Nami' story).
Old 2015-06-18, 09:41   Link #18
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

That is fast... please don't tell me that Doffy managed to survive again
He is become quite boring lately
seems like we need to wait for another long epic 1 vs 1 in future arc
Old 2015-06-18, 10:30   Link #19
itachi-san314

So Luffy's secret 1 hit KO attack turns out to just be a bigger punch? And if King Kong Gun fails against an Emperor or Admiral, will he then use the even bigger Emperor Kong Gun? I was expecting a little more from this, but I'm glad it's over.

I do like how strong Mingo's shades were though. Those things were Admiral level just by themselves.
Old 2015-06-18, 10:43   Link #20
Drake007

I don't know, but is there a crack in the air like with the gura-gura fruit?
Closed Thread