AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Old 2004-06-13, 17:33   Link #21
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Alright, I've had this gripe with the the translation of the final verse of the ending song for a long time. I don't like the way either Seichi nor A-E did it.

Japanese
mou sukoshi, mou sukoshi
ima, kono toki ga kienai youni
douka kami-sama,
boku ni yuuki wo kudasai

Seichi translation
Just a bit more, just a bit more.
Right now, this time won't disappear. (NO!)
Please God,
give me courage.

A-E translation
Try not to erase this moment. (HELL NO!)
Please God,
give me courage.

English (true translation)
Now, so that this moment does not disappear,
please God,
give me courage.

Now obviously, everyone knows that this song is about Midori being unable to tell her feelings to Seiji though he's standing right next to her. The last three lines are ONE SENTENCE! So that this time (with Seiji) does not disappear, Midori is asking God for courage to talk to Seiji!!! I was upset with both these translations, even if it is not a huge deal, I think the true phrasing sounds so much better than those other translations. That's my personal gripe for today

Last edited by Roots; 2004-06-17 at 05:43.
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 14:26   Link #22
Itlandm
Porcupine

Roots, it is wonderful that we have someone fluent in both Japanese and English.

I've been looking at four different translations of this song, and they are more similar than usual (a good thing, I think) but there is one thing that puzzles me. Both A-E and Froth-Bite have songs that are internally coherent, but they seem to tell a subtly different story. In particular this part from Froth-Bite:
"Even if I can control my mind,
I can't do anything about my heart.
To conceal our meeting,
I always try to act as if nothing has changed."

That's where I pause and think: What ?? Conceal our meeting? They make it sound like the two were secretly going out at the time or some such.

Surely she does not want to conceal their meeting, but to hide what is in her heart? (At least that's what I would have done...)
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 14:53   Link #23
project_00

i like ur translation of that line more
project_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 19:40   Link #24
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

perhaps you should notify the fansubbers about that little "mishap" there because yours sound a lot better and probable...
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 05:25   Link #25
LowT

yeah i don't know any japanese and I still try to sing along with the ending song.

the begening? er...i skip it.

the the end song is aw man, one of the reasons i like midori no hibi.

I'm even gettin SOME of the sounds(yes since i don't know japanese thats wut i'm praticly trying to memorize) down.

Mainly the Mou sou koushi part and a lil bit of the lines around it.
LowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 18:45   Link #26
Itlandm
Porcupine

I tried to play it for the girls at work, but they were like "Eh, guess it's OK, but if she was singing in English nobody would know it was Japanese." Guess it's OK?? Probably because of the tinny speakers on my PC. Now I've installed an Philips AZ2558 ghettoblaster with subwoofers and USB port at my office. The world must be converted! Yes! One soul at the time if necessary. Mou sukoshi ... mou sukoshi ...
Old 2004-06-18, 09:32   Link #27
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
I tried to play it for the girls at work, but they were like "Eh, guess it's OK, but if she was singing in English nobody would know it was Japanese."
it angers me that people think that just because it's not in their native language that it's automatically crap...especially music -_-
i bet no one remembers that many of the first songs were made without lyrics in any language...
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 11:34   Link #28
Tsubomi Koneko

Send a message via AIM to Tsubomi Koneko Send a message via MSN to Tsubomi Koneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
it angers me that people think that just because it's not in their native language that it's automatically crap...especially music -_-
i bet no one remembers that many of the first songs were made without lyrics in any language...
Oh god... It reminds me of high school.

Everyone thought I was a freak cause I liked Japanese music and they always said "Japanese music sucks." when they had never even listened to any...

Then when I was able to get some of the people to shut up long enough to LISTEN to some Japanese music... they ended up liking it. Sometimes it takes a song or two for the general "It sucks cause I can't understand it." thing to go away.
Tsubomi Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 12:49   Link #29
sensei kakashi03

wow, you all must have a lot of time to listen to this song over, and over, i mean its catchy, but not THAT catchy, don't get me wrong its cool, but paying 10 dollars for it when u can extract the soundtrack for free is not worth it.
sensei kakashi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 21:04   Link #30
Itlandm
Porcupine

Buying the stuff encourages them to make more like it. More songs like this will definitely improve quality of life in the developed countries. Joy without chemicals is good for all!
Old 2004-06-18, 22:32   Link #31
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Me too! A large portion of the music I listen to is foreign. I actually sometimes enjoy the fact that I can't understand the lyrics, because I can still find the meaning to the song without them and I think that's really cool. How old are these people you are talking about? I think generally as people get older they are more accepting of different (foreign) things, but maybe that's just because I haven't had many people listen to my music collection in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei kakashi03
wow, you all must have a lot of time to listen to this song over, and over, i mean its catchy, but not THAT catchy, don't get me wrong its cool, but paying 10 dollars for it when u can extract the soundtrack for free is not worth it.
You're a bad person If everyone ripped off music instead of buying, then they'd stop making it. I do agree though, I do not find the ending song as catchy as many other people here seem to. What about the opening people? I think the opening is better than the ending personally
Old 2004-06-18, 23:42   Link #32
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Me too! A large portion of the music I listen to is foreign. I actually sometimes enjoy the fact that I can't understand the lyrics, because I can still find the meaning to the song without them and I think that's really cool. How old are these people you are talking about? I think generally as people get older they are more accepting of different (foreign) things, but maybe that's just because I haven't had many people listen to my music collection in a while
the old songs i was talking about were things like orcestras and such that didn't use voices, and typically if they did, it was as a musical instrument ("songs" were invented by poets who had a taste in music)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 00:12   Link #33
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
the old songs i was talking about were things like orcestras and such that didn't use voices, and typically if they did, it was as a musical instrument ("songs" were invented by poets who had a taste in music)
Oh I love orchestra music too I especially like it when they sing in old Latin or just generally ummm, mumble I guess (Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Oh Fortuna)
Old 2004-06-19, 09:55   Link #34
sensei kakashi03

don't get me wrong as a bad person, i just don't think you need to spend 10 dollars on a song that is ok.......its perfectly legal to rip it and use for your own,(but i have an ipod so i don't need to ) but if you want to its fine to buy it jst for a multi-purpose item
I too also like orchestra music, I love the Marche Slav by Tchaikovsky, its a really cool piece, also from posted above, i think that the opening of midori no hibi was better than the end
Old 2004-06-19, 16:47   Link #35
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei kakashi03
don't get me wrong as a bad person, i just don't think you need to spend 10 dollars on a song that is ok.......its perfectly legal to rip it and use for your own,(but i have an ipod so i don't need to ) but if you want to its fine to buy it jst for a multi-purpose item
I too also like orchestra music, I love the Marche Slav by Tchaikovsky, its a really cool piece, also from posted above, i think that the opening of midori no hibi was better than the end

Umm...what country do you come from, and why is stealing someone else's work without paying them anything for it legal?
Old 2004-06-19, 17:50   Link #36
sensei kakashi03

jeez, ok i use quicktime player to view the anime i watch, and it seems to work fine. If I like a song, I export the soundrtrack and cut out the only music section i want and then burn it to a cd, or in my case send it to my ipod to listen, this is all legal, because bittorrent is free and *(as long as ur downloading unlicensed anime) you can use it for your own purposes, but you CAN"T sell it, it then becomes illegal, with a few tone checks, and fixes, you have as good as a cd track and more. So why spend $10???? Just a suggestion, nobody needs to go crazy, i just thought this was a better way
Old 2004-06-22, 09:46   Link #37
Bedi

Hi
does anyone has the lyrics of 'Atsumi Saori - Mousukoshi...Mousukoshi...'?
I mean the original Japanese ones (not the Midori no Hibi ending lyrics) I would like to have the ones of the original song.
Bedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 17:51   Link #38
Itlandm
Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Umm...what country do you come from, and why is stealing someone else's work without paying them anything for it legal?
Little known fact, but in some countries (such as my native Norway) it is legal to tape broadcasted material - both audio and video - for personal use. A court decision some months ago confirmed that this also was the case for downloading from the Internet. However, in neighboring Denmark it was illegal at the same time, so this varies.

Anyway, the reason I buy the song is not fear of punishment. Rather I wish to support the people who make these songs, and simply downloading them won't do that. The CD is waiting for me at the post office, but since I have the MP3 I can wait till I'm going there anyway.
Old 2004-06-22, 19:30   Link #39
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

the first thing that comes to mind when I buy a DVD or a CD is not that I'm supporting the makers but that I got something that is worth my money ....I don't know but for me, I don't think we really buy stuff TO support the companies.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 02:56   Link #40
Itlandm
Porcupine

When I can download anything for free, my money's worth is $0 for any movie, song or book. Most people won't put a lot of work into something that sells for $0. Unless we start thinking about the long term effect of paying versus just leeching, there won't be any CDs and DVDs to rip.

It may be a bit strong to say that a song worth listening to is a song worth buying; but a song that makes you want more definitely is. The only reliable way to encourage production, is to pay for the product.

Since I wish there were hundreds of songs like "Mou sukoshi", I am willing to pay a pretty steep price for it, even to the point of having it shipped halfway across the globe. Most on the stuff on "kawaii radio" does not evoke this response in me. I am kinda picky ... I buy perhaps 4-5 CDs a year on average.