AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2016-09-16, 12:22   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Gender-flipped Betty & Veronica triangle

Still stuck on a major romance fix while waiting for a certain web-manga author to give some progress on one romantic plot. I stumbled upon a trope on TVTropes.com that very much fits the sort of story I want: the Betty & Veronica. Based on the Archie comics, a "Betty" is sweet, kind, reliable, a little average but very comfortable, and often has a long enough history to be very familiar, sort of a girl/boy next door sort of ting; a "Veronica" then is cool, hot, daring, edgy, and in most male versions I've seen somewhere between sadistic and just plain mean, at least on the surface. These vary very broadly but happen rather frequently enough.

Generally, with the series I've seen with gender-flipped scenarios resembling this, there is a slight difference. In particular, there's a larger focus on initiative and aggression, with the "Betty" being a bit too focused on finding the "right moment", reluctant to really be aggressive and force the girl to pay attention, while the "Veronica" is just the opposite, confident, assertive and aggressive, skilled at making the right moment happen when he wants rather than waiting and quite willing to be more than a little aggressive at forcing a girl to notice him, with little concern to whether the girl would be troubled by it at that time.

Naturally this varies broadly in terms of severity. In some cases the difference leans toward the subtle side, though clear enough that they can't switch (at least not quickly, easily or repeatedly), while in other cases the two are literally night and day.

Please don't focus TOO much on Shoujo. I used to read those sorts of manga from time to time, and I quickly got tired of seeing aggressive hot bad boys who would take this aggression to an extreme that approaches or in several places could actually qualify as rape, especially since series where these super-Veronica's showed up tended to focus on girls who would actually melt under that stare. How can I respect a girl like that? If the girl is respectable and doesn't fall too far for simple seduction, but instead requires real interaction and romance, then it's fine; I just got tired of series that were not only heavy on smut but also very quick to oblige.

Instead, I'm rather interested to see if there are any really good SHOUNEN with a strong focus on romance. For instance, another site recently introduced me to the manga series "Ginen Shounen". This series is a bit of a stretch, but I'd say it fits.
Spoiler:
This series also demonstrates that it's not necessary for the triangle to be too dramatic and uncertain.

Please limit to series that have finished or close to finished, or at least where it's gone far enough that you can tell which vertex of the triangle will be the victor.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 17:10   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

Umm. It'll be hard to find characters that fit those characteristics exactly, so I'm just going to name a few completed shows that come with mind with a 2-boy-1-girl love triangle where the guys have very different personalities:
Maison Ikkoku (probably the closest thing to what you're looking for)
H2
Peach Girl
Please Save My Earth
Ayashi no Ceres
Touch
Old 2016-09-16, 18:18   Link #3
BWTraveller
Born to ship

They don't have to have all the personality traits or anything, it's often just a sort of image they give off, of a reliable one versus a wild one, or a kind one versus a foul-mouthed one, or one who's a little too concerned with getting the timing right or doing something when it would trouble the other person versus someone who basically does what he wants and makes it right or hits people with his intentions without any concern for how troubled they may be. There's lots of traits connected to the two, and some traits might be stronger than others, like a guy who's not particularly rude or foul-mouthed but at the same time is so aggressive and determined to bend fate to his will regardless of others' feelings that it's kind of scary, or on the other side a person who couldn't be less aggressive but also couldn't be ruder, or someone who's quite courteous but basically lives a life that makes the Public Morals committee scream. Of course, I'm being a little harsh toward the "V" side since I've always been partial to the "Bs"; just like tsunderes have some "dere" to go with their "tsun", there's always some good to both.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 09:13   Link #4
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Then I would recommend Boys over Flowers(Hani Yori Dango). While it is shoujo, I think its one of the better examples of a 2-boy, 1-girl scenario, and the main character is from the female perspective. However, while the main 2 guys are, in a sense/on the surface "Betty & Veronica", they have more depth to them that is explored overtime. Since it's an older show, there are themes that might be a bit dated, but it might be to your interests. Just watching the first 4(or heck just the 1st if time is a factor) should KIIIINDA give you a hint at what is to come.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-19, 01:10   Link #5
jedinat

I could not get over the fact that you never find out whether the heroine actually got raped or not in Hani Yori Dango... It's like it didn't even matter... really bothered me at the time.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-29, 02:11   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku is probably closest to what you are asking for.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote