AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-15, 17:21   Link #1
ShoKay

Popular Anime in England (help needed)

Hi, my dad is re-opening his Manga/Anime/Karaoke shop in London (Brewer Street, Soho if anyone's intrested ) and he wants to know what anime would be popular with the many curious English people who drop in every now and then.
I was wondering if you guys can help. Now I know some of the popular anime is shite, and there are loads of good anime that deserve better recognition, but here we're strictly looking for what sells .
Obviously looking for TV series that have been taken over to England (Dragon Ball, Digimon, there have been shows on CNX?), but also ones that have cult appeal in England like Naruto or Initial D. Thanks for any help.
Old 2004-06-16, 21:53   Link #2
Mugen
Tha slick

Send a message via MSN to Mugen
Wow man this shop you speak of sounds awesome, il have to drop in some time. Anways, if you just want anime series that are available in the u.k and are popular(if i understand you correctly) id reccomend escaflowne, neon genesis, rahxephon, gundam wing o.k ive run out of good anime - heads gone blank , god we really dont have f**k all good series out in the u.k.
Old 2004-06-17, 00:02   Link #3
kero

Hey that's cool!! I'd def visit

as for stuff that sells, well I think what you should do is pop into Forbidden Planet and check out what people are buying mostly there.

The thing with anime/manga is that you are either a follower or you're not, so I don't really know what wil tempt passer by.

Oh I know that astro boy is on bbc, and bey blade or whatever it's called.

I don't know how feasible it'd be (or how profitable either) but lots of chinese people would go pass brewer street, so maybe getting a hold of manga in chinese might pull in this market (manga in chinese is like half the price of english translations) though i have no idea how your dad would get hold of this

i think i'm too removed from the typical market to tell you what would sell but
I would think that Cowboy Bebop should do well, i think i saw some of that (manga version) in Borders...

Oh and Hayao Miyazaki, the peeps will definately recognize this

Hey are you selling Japanese Karaoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoKay
Hi, my dad is re-opening his Manga/Anime/Karaoke shop in London (Brewer Street, Soho if anyone's intrested ) and he wants to know what anime would be popular with the many curious English people who drop in every now and then.
I was wondering if you guys can help. Now I know some of the popular anime is shite, and there are loads of good anime that deserve better recognition, but here we're strictly looking for what sells .
Obviously looking for TV series that have been taken over to England (Dragon Ball, Digimon, there have been shows on CNX?), but also ones that have cult appeal in England like Naruto or Initial D. Thanks for any help.
Old 2004-06-17, 02:35   Link #4
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Is "R.O.D" (both OVA and TV series) popular in the British Isles? I would imagine so since the anime deals with the British Library...?
Old 2004-06-17, 07:03   Link #5
El Diablo

Send a message via AIM to El Diablo Send a message via MSN to El Diablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Diablo
I've seen the OVA for sale, not sure how well it seels. As for the TV series, its not available in the UK yet as far as i'm aware. I wonder if it will feature dubs as humorous as Hellsing. Man, i laughed SO hard when i heard everybody speaking in that.
Old 2004-06-17, 10:05   Link #6
jennwenn

I don't think I've noticed as much a difference between American and British tastes in anime/manga as I have between American and French tastes in anime/manga. The French love high-school-bad-boy series, sports series, Jiro Taniguchi, horror/thriller/mystery manga, etc. They're not big fans of Rumiko Takahashi nor do they have as much shoujo as Americans. (They have more stuff by Yuu Watase than we do though.)

Dragonball is popular everywhere. French otaku have just about every Toriyama manga (Dr. Slump too). They also have more mature tastes in manga, like Urasawa and Tezuka. Overall, the French have a lot more manga but not as much anime. But then you didn't ask for French tastes.

You should get the Crayon Shin-chan manga by ComicsOne. Shin-chan plays on FOX Kids UK and I've heard its really popular. Of course, gotta have Pokemon and Dragonball stuff to draw in the kiddies (who can spend a lot.) Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh cards are big in America.

A lot of people buy wallscrolls in anime/manga stores.

I'm sure Ghost in the Shell stuff will be HUGE. Sci-fi UK used to play a lot of 80's Manga Ent. titles, so I bet they would be popular with nostalgic, older otaku or people who saw them once on the Sci-fi Channel. So the "cyberpunk", dark sci-fi stuff would probably sell well. I think Giant Robo has a cult status, Sci-fi aired it. (I'm obsessed with Giant Robo!)

Oh, and can't forget Sailor Moon.
Old 2004-06-17, 10:58   Link #7
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Is "R.O.D" (both OVA and TV series) popular in the British Isles? I would imagine so since the anime deals with the British Library...?
As El Diablo said the OAV is on sale here but hardly any anime TV series are available in Britain. The Lodoss OAV, for example, you might find, or Tenchi, or YUA, but the TV series of each of those and many more are usually on available from the US.

SCC
Old 2004-06-17, 15:39   Link #8
varica

The best place for you to look for anime in the uk is on play.com where u get the best price animes.

I would recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hellsing, Bubblegum Crisis, but you really need to browse for the best deals. A lot of people nowadays dont want to pay £20 for a dvd because they can get them cheaper on the net so be careful.
A lot of the animes listed by people above are not available on dvd yet, eg Naruto, which although is good, it isn't liscenced.
Old 2004-06-17, 15:41   Link #9
varica

I'm from the uk so I know what we'vwe got available over here!

A good idea is to look on ebay and see what stuff is selling and whats not
Old 2004-06-18, 01:36   Link #10
raspberihevn

Send a message via AIM to raspberihevn
I remember back in 1990-1998 CLAMP was really popular in France and England. I heard about Evangelion, Escaflowne, and X/1999 from my French pen pal.

I'm also aware that whatever is popular in U.S., Europe is way over that period, such as Naruto, One Piece, etc.

You know what would help you the most. Do an internet search on a search engine for conventions and cosplay in Europe. This may give you ideas on what's popular. Hope this helps.
Old 2004-06-18, 13:44   Link #11
kero

the thing is the location of brewer street isn't really a kiddy kind of place, i mean it's in Soho (still regarded kinda like a red light district with it's sex shops and xxx shows)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
You should get the Crayon Shin-chan manga by ComicsOne. Shin-chan plays on FOX Kids UK and I've heard its really popular. Of course, gotta have Pokemon and Dragonball stuff to draw in the kiddies (who can spend a lot.) Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh cards are big in America.

A lot of people buy wallscrolls in anime/manga stores.

I'm sure Ghost in the Shell stuff will be HUGE. Sci-fi UK used to play a lot of 80's Manga Ent. titles, so I bet they would be popular with nostalgic, older otaku or people who saw them once on the Sci-fi Channel. So the "cyberpunk", dark sci-fi stuff would probably sell well. I think Giant Robo has a cult status, Sci-fi aired it. (I'm obsessed with Giant Robo!)

Oh, and can't forget Sailor Moon.
Old 2004-06-18, 17:04   Link #12
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kero
the thing is the location of brewer street isn't really a kiddy kind of place, i mean it's in Soho (still regarded kinda like a red light district with it's sex shops and xxx shows)!
Oh, Well in that case, stock up on some hentai. Hentai sells.
Old 2004-06-18, 22:06   Link #13
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

I think it would also be a good idea to take a look at Amazon.co.uk and see what manga and anime sell best there.
Also, as jennwenn said, I think stocking up on hentai would be a good idea
Old 2004-06-20, 14:56   Link #14
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
hentai sells like hot bread ..if you know how to sell the stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Oh, Well in that case, stock up on some hentai. Hentai sells.
Old 2004-06-20, 18:44   Link #15
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
As El Diablo said the OAV is on sale here but hardly any anime TV series are available in Britain. The Lodoss OAV, for example, you might find, or Tenchi, or YUA, but the TV series of each of those and many more are usually on available from the US.

SCC
Weird that you mention that, I've seen ROD TV in my anime store and they import from england so it must be availalbe around there as well. ROD TV is pretty good btw...
Old 2004-06-20, 22:16   Link #16
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Weird that you mention that, I've seen ROD TV in my anime store and they import from england so it must be availalbe around there as well. ROD TV is pretty good btw...
7th, which store was that and where?

SCC
Old 2004-06-21, 17:50   Link #17
Sakuba
Student of the Fung Huo

love hina will be good
i been trying to get those eps
Old 2004-06-21, 17:54   Link #18
Sakuba
Student of the Fung Huo

what is the shop going to be called?
im getting really interested in the shops openning.
and chinese manga. will sell as soho is so close to china town
Old 2004-06-21, 18:23   Link #19
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
7th, which store was that and where?

SCC
anime store in Antwerp, they import from england and US. I've seen ROD TV disk 1 last week at the shelves. Also archonia is selling the US the UK and the French versions so check here

http://www.archonia.com/index.php?pa...icle&aid=26132

you might wanna order it online if you can't find it otherwise. It appears that only the first disk is out
Old 2004-06-22, 00:29   Link #20
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Whoops, that'll teach me not to read profiles...

Strange, but also good, that it's around, as you might be able to get quite a few OVAs here, but they're still holding back on most of the TV series. Except possibly in the case of really naff stuff. Not that I've been anime shopping in a while...

SCC
Closed Thread