AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2009-01-26, 13:24   Link #1441
Seifall

I thought Quebecer were like native speakers in French( the french language you're talking about which changed due to the difference of your culture,past...)
Since the Canada and the Quebec are close to each other, I didn't think English could be a problem to Quebecer.
But it seems, it's like you said between the nationalist and the french lovers. You adopted the french system of teaching then. If not, Quebecers should already be native speakers in two language by now.
A lot of Canadians reject the idea of the nation for the Quebec , I think that's in part due to this problem with your past. You sound more frenchie than english from their point of view, but for the French point of view, more english than frenchie.
Seifall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 14:48   Link #1442
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Goat Held Over Robbery

Quote:

Quote:
Nigerian police are holding a goat on suspicion of attempted armed robbery - amid claims it used black magic to morph from a human to escape justice.
Vigilantes took the animal to police, claiming it had been a person trying to steal a Mazda 323."The group of vigilante men came to report that while they were on patrol they saw some hoodlums attempting to rob a car," Kwara state police spokesman Tunde Mohammed said."They pursued them. However one of them escaped while the other turned into a goat."We cannot confirm the story, but the goat is in our custody."

He went on: "We cannot base our information on something mystical. It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat."Belief in witchcraft is widespread in parts of Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation.People have been flocking to the police station to see the goat, photographed in one national newspaper on its knees next to a pile of straw.
Source
Old 2009-01-26, 15:05   Link #1443
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Your country's focus on French is, and so is your written script, since it was developed by a French Jesuit in accordance with French system. I was in Hanoi a week ago, BTW.
I don't know what you mean. We're still learning French, obviously. And it's not my language that's mangled out of recognition by a bunch of foreigners. It's not in danger of being replaced from without by a bastardized version of itself. I'm not the one who has to wince every time I hear an international conversation - instead, I make the others suffer.

PS: oh, I get it. You thought I meant Vietnam. I'm French.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 16:49   Link #1444
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't know what you mean. We're still learning French, obviously. And it's not my language that's mangled out of recognition by a bunch of foreigners. It's not in danger of being replaced from without by a bastardized version of itself. I'm not the one who has to wince every time I hear an international conversation - instead, I make the others suffer.

PS: oh, I get it. You thought I meant Vietnam. I'm French.
Rofl.

And so Anh_minh is french (i never guessed it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I think France is also notable for trying to keep an "official" version of French with a government department, which is quite odd considering how language works. It seems like they're trying to swim up a waterfall here.
What???

Do you mean the "Académie Française"?

Quote:
The French are too proud of their language , that's why they are not good in english. Their "langues vivantes " courses are more like "langues mortes" ones concerning english and spanish...
From what i can tell among the students, in France those who don't have a good level in english have usually a medium level in French, and are not fond of learning new languages <.<

Yes, there are some French language lovers too, but not a LOT. People like to claim that the French language is the best but it doesn't mean that they are all skilled in French and French Litterature.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 16:54   Link #1445
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Rofl.

And so Anh_minh is french (i never guessed it)
Yes, I'm actually not far from you. Say, within telescope range. Nice shirt, by the way.
Old 2009-01-26, 17:05   Link #1446
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Yes, I'm actually not far from you. Say, within telescope range. Nice shirt, by the way.
*looks around*
<.<

>.>

*Closes the curtains*

Are you completely joking or are you at least not far away from Paris xD?
Old 2009-01-26, 17:20   Link #1447
Seifall

Quote:

From what i can tell among the students, in France those who don't have a good level in english have usually a medium level in French, and are not fond of learning new languages <.<

Yes, there are some French language lovers too, but not a LOT. People like to claim that the French language is the best but it doesn't mean that they are all skilled in French and French Litterature.

I really wonder about those french students who are not good in english and so are they in French...
Chirac was an excellent speaker and a excellent student, but his englisgh wasn't that good...
And yes, I stated that French are too proud of their language, that's why they're not good in english, and I think that goes for a majority of the French people.
I do not want to be offending but the French project a condescending image about their culture,language, etc...
Just after Obama's investiture, a french journalist was laughing about the " menu" served for the guests saying " well there is not a Bordeau, desserts are not that good too, this is not a french food, we can't except much..."
I will give you a simple example, your president Mr Sarkozy said " I'm eager to change the world with Obama " that's a bit too much no ?
Old 2009-01-26, 17:35   Link #1448
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifall View Post
I really wonder about those french students who are not good in english and so are they in French...
Chirac was an excellent speaker and a excellent student, but his englisgh wasn't that good...
Well, Chirac is not the worst. I would have quoted Jean-Pierre Raffarin instead

Quote:
And yes, I stated that French are too proud of their language, that's why they're not good in english, and I think that goes for a majority of the French people.
That's not what I said. What i said is that even if the french are prood of their language, it doesn't mean that their "french skills" are perfect or even very good.

In the french universities, nowadays, you can find people who can't even write french properly.

So don't expect those people to be good in a foreign language if they are not even good as they should be with their native language.

Quote:
I do not want to be offending but the French project a condescending image about their culture,language, etc...
The problem is, each people from a lot of countries think that about the foreigners.

Here in France, we criticize the English, and American etc

Quote:
Just after Obama's investiture, a french journalist was laughing about the " menu" served for the guests saying " well there is not a Bordeau, desserts are not that good too, this is not a french food, we can't except much..."
Don't generalize because of the behavior of one person

Quote:
I will give you a simple example, your president Mr Sarkozy said " I'm eager to change the world with Obama " that's a bit too much no ?
On that, I am ok with you, but it doesn't mean that us, french, are ok with what Sarkozy says.

In my case, i laughed at sarkozy when I heard that. But Sarkozy is not the only country leader to be like that. And it doesn't mean that I support those behaviors.
Old 2009-01-26, 17:43   Link #1449
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I can't believe this actually happened in modern times. I doubt any charges will be pressed on the goat though.. On the contrary, I am somewhat curious as to how many witnesses there were that claimed to have seen a man transformed into a goat at the car robbery scene. It is very unusual.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 17:56   Link #1450
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Your are not offending ( or at least I don't so ), it is true than french have a high image of their culture/ language etc... The real problem is than theur present cultural product is not way near what they were doing before.
It is sad, ( but true ) than on a cultural point, the France is declining, trying to remember the glory of the past.
Old 2009-01-26, 17:58   Link #1451
Seifall

Quote:
Well, Chirac is not the worst. I would have quoted Jean-Pierre Raffarin instead
Well, I know him from his famous " I'm glad to tell you that we are facing a deceleration of the augmentation of the unemployement " He is really brave.

Quote:
That's not what I said. What i said is that even if the french are prood of their language, it doesn't mean that their "french skills" are perfect or even very good.

In the french universities, nowadays, you can find people who can't even write french properly.
Well, it is surely it's not only in France where you can see that...

Quote:
The problem is, each people from a lot of countries think that about the foreigners.

Here in France, we criticize the English, and American etc
You're right , each country critize some others due to their geographic situation or others reasons, I talked about France because, it was linked to the discussion about the language and all.

Quote:
Don't generalize because of the behavior of one person
I do not generalize. I lived in Paris that's why I said that since I saw this behaviour in many French people.

Quote:
On that, I am ok with you, but it doesn't mean that us, french, are ok with what Sarkozy says.
I know that ,he is not that popular since his travel in Louxor with Carla ...

Quote:
In my case, i laughed at sarkozy when I heard that. But Sarkozy is not the only country leader to be like that. And it doesn't mean that I support those behaviors.
I know he is not but really honestly, he is the most funny president you had. I think Chirac with his long speeches was really boring sometimes but Sarkozy with his movements when he talks and all...
He just doesn't fit the traditional vision of the French presidency like people all around the world see its.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganbaru
Your are not offending ( or at least I don't so ), it is true than french have a high image of their culture/ language etc... The real problem is than theur present cultural product is not way near what they were doing before.
It is sad, ( but true ) than on a cultural point, the France is declining, trying to remember the glory of the past.
I read the paper about the "death of the french culture" , it must sounds like an understatement like that but I think it's true.
France is not a superpower or near that , they have a lot of wealth , thanks to their territory like their overseas territory with Guyane and all . They also have the wine,the delicious food with the" macarons" and others desserts but it doesn't make a country more important nowadays. The world changed a lot , the election of a black man in France is impossible for example,the diversity, the quotas in university like it was done in the US and all the others actions in this matter are condemned by the French autorities, Australia is making good wines now, some more juicy than the French ones and all...
I agree with you, this is more a sign of decline than a sign of prosperity or change.

Last edited by Seifall; 2009-01-26 at 18:11.
Old 2009-01-26, 18:01   Link #1452
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
XD He is not offending at all. Well, at least to me...

I already stated a few times that I am not really happy about the current society I am living in XD.

I want to add that only 44% of the french are pleased by sarkozy (recent survey). So, not even the majority XD
Old 2009-01-26, 18:06   Link #1453
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
I can't believe this actually happened in modern times. I doubt any charges will be pressed on the goat though.. On the contrary, I am somewhat curious as to how many witnesses there were that claimed to have seen a man transformed into a goat at the car robbery scene. It is very unusual.
Uhh 'modern times' have nothing to do with cultural attitudes and beliefs of many non-western cultures.
Voodoo is a religion, it's very much actively practiced and so all the negativity that goes with it (curse, spells, poision etc) are still well and truly believed.
You should hop over to haiti someday and say that

As for the goat, I just laugh, hee hee.
If it gains the death sentence, i wonder on who's plate it'll end up?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 18:08   Link #1454
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm pretty sure it's unconstitutional for one of our politicians to please the majority of us.
Old 2009-01-26, 18:19   Link #1455
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Well, I know him from his famous " I'm glad to tell you that we are facing a deceleration of the augmentation of the unemployement " He is really brave.
Rofl XD

Well, about Raffarin, he became really famous because of the "Win the yes needs the no, to win against (i hear "again" ) the no" during a speech for the europe constitution campaign in may 2005. Add to this a very bad (read: non-existent) english accent.

He did so much mistakes and funny comments that his weird behaviors and talks got a name "les Raffarinades"

Quote:
Well, it is surely it's not only in France where you can see that...
True. But I criticize those who are saying that "they are proud of their native language", while they offend their own language everyday

Quote:
I do not generalize. I lived in Paris that's why I said that since I saw this behaviour in many French people.
Even in Paris, we are not all like that. we tend to only see the people who are noisy or bad, not the silent and nice people

Quote:
I know that ,he is not that popular since his travel in Louxor with Carla ...
Chut!

Quote:
I know he is not but really honestly, he is the most funny president you had. I think Chirac with his long speeches was really boring sometimes but Sarkozy with his movements when he talks and all...
He just doesn't fit the traditional vision of the French presidency like people all around the world see its.
I will be honest, I voted for sarkozy. Royal was even worse imo. But I don't really dislike to see a president who doesn't "stay in his office while twiddling his thumbs". And not everything he does is wrong.

I just try to be honest. I say it when I am not ok with him, and I say it when I think he does something good .

In the case of "changing the world", I am not ok with his "superior attitude". But I don't really think that Obama will change the world either. The USA, maybe, the world, I wish it will be true, but I doubt it.
Old 2009-01-26, 18:23   Link #1456
Seifall

Quote:
XD He is not offending at all. Well, at least to me...
I do not look like a boy but mayve have a mind of that gender here.
I'm a "she"

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's unconstitutional for one of our politicians to please the majority of us.
Well maybe you could say that in France too : "t's unconstitutional for one to please the majority of our politician "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona
Well, about Raffarin, he became really famous because of the "Win the yes needs the no, to win against (i hear "again" ) the no" during a speech for the europe constitution campaign in may 2005. Add to this a very bad (read: non-existent) english accent.
The yes needs the "no" to win agaiinst the no ? What did he said lol

Quote:
I will be honest, I voted for sarkozy. Royal was even worse imo. But I don't really dislike to see a president who doesn't stay in his office while twiddling his thumbs. And not everything he does is wrong.

I just try to be honest. I say it when I am not ok with him, and I say it when I think he does something good .

In the case of "changing the world", I am not ok with his "supérior attitude". But I don't really think that Obama will change the world either. The USA, maybe, the world, I wish it will be true, but I doubt it.
Royal is funny, she is the one who after losing said " Tous ensemble, tous ensemble".....
If she would have been the president, the women would have ruled the country .
You are honest, I have french friends who voted for him but hate to talk about that now. I do not think he did one thing right, in my point of view, the France is worse than its was under Chirac. He is a superactive president but do not do the right things. Your Justice minister is really suspicious, like Kouchner in the foreign policy ( he was a great humanitarian but I do not recognize his politic anymore ).
He gives a bad opinion of the France from my POV, Obama will not change the world but he has the power to do so, unlike Sarkozy who doesn't .

Last edited by Seifall; 2009-01-26 at 18:36.
Old 2009-01-26, 19:03   Link #1457
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
I read the paper about the "death of the french culture" , it must sounds like an understatement like that but I think it's true.
France is not a superpower or near that , they have a lot of wealth , thanks to their territory like their overseas territory with Guyane and all . They also have the wine,the delicious food with the" macarons" and others desserts but it doesn't make a country more important nowadays. The world changed a lot , the election of a black man in France is impossible for example,the diversity, the quotas in university like it was done in the US and all the others actions in this matter are condemned by the French autorities, Australia is making good wines now, some more juicy than the French ones and all...
I agree with you, this is more a sign of decline than a sign of prosperity or change.
On the power, i disagree. We have the nuclear power. We deserve a lot of countries with electricty thanks to our nuclear power plants. We are among the leaders in aeronautics (airbus, Dassault Aviation), trains. In military aircraft development (dassault aviation again). Vinci is the largest construction company in the world. Total is one of the six "Supermajor" oil companies in the world. And many others, the list is long xD

About the cuisine. I still believe that we have one of the best cuisine ever. And the wine of Bordeaux is still not topped imo

About the universities, what do you mean by "quotas"?_?

Imo, we are not perfect but still a big country in many aspects

Quote:
I do not look like a boy but mayve have a mind of that gender here.
I'm a "she"
Sorry ^^"

Quote:
Royal is funny, she is the one who after losing said " Tous ensemble, tous ensemble".....
If she would have been the president, the women would have ruled the country .
You are honest, I have french friends who voted for him but hate to talk about that now. I do not think he did one thing right, in my point of view, the France is worse than its was under Chirac. He is a superactive president but do not do the right things. Your Justice minister is really suspicious, like Kouchner in the foreign policy ( he was a great humanitarian but I do not recognize his politic anymore ).
He gives a bad opinion of the France from my POV, Obama will not change the world but he has the power to do so, unlike Sarkozy who doesn't .
I should go to sleep (even if I don't feel like sleeping <.< ), so I will just give one example. I like what he is doing against the criminality, violence from the young people, and the recidivists.

He also says that to win money, we have to work hard. And I believe it's true, while some people I know voted for royal because "sarkozy wanted them to work harder".

In my case, it's 50/50 at the moment.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-01-27 at 00:17.
Old 2009-01-26, 19:45   Link #1458
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
When alls said and done, it may turn out that to be just an ill fated attempt by cops to have lamb chops . Gone horribly wrong
Old 2009-01-26, 22:10   Link #1459
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Uhh 'modern times' have nothing to do with cultural attitudes and beliefs of many non-western cultures.
Voodoo is a religion, it's very much actively practiced and so all the negativity that goes with it (curse, spells, poison etc) are still well and truly believed.
You should hop over to Haiti someday and say that

As for the goat, I just laugh, hee hee.
idk if that is your intent but u make it seem that western cultures aren't full of shit too.....

I've been to Haiti... and they take it very seriously... not every practice it but many still fear its power, even i a very logical person would think twice before going through neighborhoods known for voodoo

even haiti would not put a goat on trial though

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 23:33   Link #1460
Shadow Kira01

Some silly tourists licking a dead tuna in a fish market.

(laugh)
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor