AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 55 32.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 30.36%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 39 23.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 10.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.19%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.19%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.60%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-23, 23:23   Link #121
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyluun
Whatever the distorsion was, it surely wasn't an "irrelevant detail", since there is no such thing so far in the entire serie.
May be she altered reality after all. Either way will never know.
Old 2006-05-23, 23:34   Link #122
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
OBJECTION!
Objection overruled!!
I just had to say that...

Back to the 'distortion' thingy:

I really do think that Haruhi changed herself because of how she was feeling before the distortion. Before, she was feeling the heavy emotions of the situation and quite possibly felt that she couldn't deal with them (she did get what she wished for).
Spoiler:
So her sub-conscious changes the world around them: getting rescued real quick and turning her gameshark on letting her know all the answers to the mystery before her. Thus, the old "always in control" Haruhi is back and as annoying as ever.
Old 2006-05-24, 00:10   Link #123
Ardee

Going along with "there are no irrelevant details"...

Take a look when Haruhi's foothold on the cliff breaks away and they fall - it doesn't appear that any time has passed since the previous camera shot where there was no lower ledge to save them... Another intervention?

On another subject, what was with Kyon's "if I seal your lips..." scene with Itsuki - who were they putting on an act for?
Old 2006-05-24, 00:26   Link #124
Nvis
Where are the good animes

At the end where Koizumi was looking at Kyon's neck, then focusing specifically on the mole. I wonder if there is some sort of significance to the story...or Kyon for that matter.
Old 2006-05-24, 00:27   Link #125
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

People mentioned it, they just dont' know what a mole is for some reason.
Old 2006-05-24, 00:30   Link #126
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznar
People mentioned it, they just dont' know what a mole is for some reason.
Maybe it's insignificant such as that woman on the ship that Kyon and Koizumi were looking at...
Old 2006-05-24, 00:56   Link #127
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardee
Going along with "there are no irrelevant details"...

Take a look when Haruhi's foothold on the cliff breaks away and they fall - it doesn't appear that any time has passed since the previous camera shot where there was no lower ledge to save them... Another intervention?

On another subject, what was with Kyon's "if I seal your lips..." scene with Itsuki - who were they putting on an act for?
I didn't really understand it either ... I figured it was just a last ditch effort to throw off the viewers.
Old 2006-05-24, 01:03   Link #128
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Some of the best directing yet.... the cave scene reminded me of some riff on the "Thin Man" series --- romance budding without romance. And Haruhi distortion of reality when she had her flash of insight.
The only reason I gave it an 8 instead of a 9 is that it was more of a leisurely intellectual feel rather than the energy levels of the previous episodes. Stilll, Orson Welles would be nodding sagely at this episode and most of the previous, in my opinion, for the directing and camera work.

My theory on the mole:
Spoiler:

Oh... loved the Yuki dialog and isn't it interesting that Kyon can "override".
Old 2006-05-24, 01:03   Link #129
Mr.Grudge
Doctor of Overkill

Does anyone know if the mole was ever there before? I never noticed it but those kind of details are often omitted. Maybe it was a possible sign that reality had been altered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
In essence, she promoted herself from a boring-old police detective, to an exciting great detective (ala Sherlock Holmes) with all the glory that solving the crime entails.
In a way she does give Kyon credit when she says the Watson phrase. While Holmes did the deduction it was usually Watson who found the clues and gave him ideas. Even in one story when Watson is thought to be dead Holmes runs into trouble trying to solve the case and despairs that he may have needed Watson more than he thought.

Ironically, the phrase "Elementary, my dear Watson" never appeared in any of the original Sherlock Holmes stories. It first appeared in one of the film or radio adaptations.
Old 2006-05-24, 01:18   Link #130
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The episode is great for Haruhi's character development, but...
You know what's the most frustrating about all this?

I don't know why Kyon even bothers to interrogate Izumi for information. That guy lies for a living. Instead of going through all this trouble, Kyon could merely ask Yuki for whatever he needs to know.

In fact, even in the novels there was a specific aspect that was pointed to it; Izumi asked Yuki for the "corpse's temperature, then deducted the time of death from that. This was odd to Kyon, as it would be quicker to ask Yuki for the corpse's time of death... to which Yuki will reply that he ain't dead. Hence Izumi avoided talking to or question Yuki in the book.
(I prefer the book's version.)

I guess Yuki blends into the background so well, even Kyon forgets that she is around sometimes. A true sign of a skilled "observer".
Still, it's frustrating. Unlikely as it may seem, Yuki is a trustworthy ally to Kyon. I wish Kyon could ask her for aid more often; She will appreciate the companionship.
Old 2006-05-24, 02:15   Link #131
migus_parvus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Regarding Yuki opening the door for Kyon...

Spoiler:
or it could be that...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-24, 02:24   Link #132
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by migus_parvus
or it could be that...

Spoiler:
That theory, unfortunately, is going to be shot to pieces in episode 5. But hey, nice try.
Old 2006-05-24, 02:37   Link #133
icchan's_world
icchan no yuutsu

really enjoyed this ep. i do think the flash haruhi got in the cave was the realisation that kyon n co. were the cause of the owner's death. haruhi did not tell this to kyon as she was hoping she was mistaken. good haruhi x kyon development. they'd make a great couple as haruhi would benefit from kyon's logical reasoning, and likewise haruhi would inject some enthusiasim in kyon. haruhi may have godly powers but she is just a teenage girl nevertheless, albeit a rather odd one. =D
Old 2006-05-24, 03:55   Link #134
Alu
Guide my hand...

It was a nice episode, finaly giving us the conclusion to what went on in the island, and all its purpose was to yet again.., Keep Haruhi entertained
As some mencioned it was not one of the best episodes, specialy comparing to the last one..

Never the less in this episode we got to see a compleatly more down-to-earth Haruhi then usual.., as in.. a person who in fact does care for her friends and those who are arround her.

Much like Kyon said.., in the begining she wanted a murder or something mysterious to happen.., and when it did.., she became frightneded and worried, as if.. she was only anxious for something to happen because it never does.

In the end though the episode gaved us some nice scenes, like previously mencioned aswell the Yuki scene at the door..
I still can't figure out if this was her idea of a joke or not.., since she in fact was behind the previous episode.., it could have been above all a small joke from part of her as oposite to as someone said.., evolution towards Kyon.

Thing that still gets me at the end of the episode was the camera focus by part of Itsuki on Kyon's mole behind his ear..; does anyone know what was the purpose of this ?

Anyway.., it was a decent episode.., I will give it an 8
Now.., one more week for the next..
Old 2006-05-24, 04:36   Link #135
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Some of the best directing yet.... the cave scene reminded me of some riff on the "Thin Man" series --- romance budding without romance. And Haruhi distortion of reality when she had her flash of insight.
Agreed. And the directing has always been very good. It ranks very highly among the numerous highlights of this series, IMO.

This was an excellent episode, but that goes without saying for a Haruhi episode. Though, compared with other Haruhi episodes, I thought it was lacking. Obviously the comedy wasn't there, but they clearly weren't aiming for it in this ep (except for that legendary Phoenix Wright homage). But, what doesn't bode well with me, is that, in the episodes we haven't seen, clearly something has happened between Haruhi and Kyon. Yet, on the same token, whatever it was, it wasn't anything monumental (as suggested by the fact their relationship seems to be in some sort of state of uneasy equilibrium). And this is, what... episode 11, in the Haruhi episode ordering. Which means, if we're to believe the rumours of 14 episodes, if something does happen between these two, it'll happen entirely within 3 episodes. That's far too short for my liking.

Of course, everything I say will be null and void if Haruhi ends up running for longer than 20 episodes, but, given the rumours and the nature of the next episode preview from this ep, I'm suspecting more and more that Haruhi is going to have an unfortunately premature ending.

Which is a real, real pity.
Old 2006-05-24, 05:13   Link #136
mugener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
I guess Yuki blends into the background so well, even Kyon forgets that she is around sometimes. A true sign of a skilled "observer".
Still, it's frustrating. Unlikely as it may seem, Yuki is a trustworthy ally to Kyon. I wish Kyon could ask her for aid more often; She will appreciate the companionship.
I think Yuki is with Izumi this time.

Since Izumi's doing this for lower the danger of Haruhi's free mind, this also what Yuki want.

So even if Kyon did ask her, I think she would keep slience this time since she want that happen.

So we can notice that after the event, during Haruhi's taliking, there's one sence
that Kyon watch Yuki with an unhappy face and think "She must know EVERYTHING along. "
Old 2006-05-24, 05:24   Link #137
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

This episode failed. I didn't even laugh, which is, after all, the point of the anime. Though I did smile at the Conan rip-off.
Old 2006-05-24, 06:19   Link #138
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
This episode failed. I didn't even laugh, which is, after all, the point of the anime. Though I did smile at the Conan rip-off.
I wouldn't argue it was the point of this particular episode. This episode was more about Haruhi's view of Kyon and their rather subtle relationship development than anything else.
Old 2006-05-24, 06:34   Link #139
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
lol laughing isn't the point of this anime.

The point of this show is Haruhi herself, we are here to learn whether shes an almighty being or not and how she affects the world. This show is a point of view on reality.

And this episode focuses alot on Haruhi, which is why this episode is great.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-05-24, 07:25   Link #140
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugener
I think Yuki is with Izumi this time.

Since Izumi's doing this for lower the danger of Haruhi's free mind, this also what Yuki want.

So even if Kyon did ask her, I think she would keep slience this time since she want that happen.

So we can notice that after the event, during Haruhi's taliking, there's one sence
that Kyon watch Yuki with an unhappy face and think "She must know EVERYTHING along. "
Actually, Kyon has no right to complain. Yuki was created 3 years ago to function as the observer of Haruhi. Keeping silence is what she does.
There is not point claiming Yuki is hiding secrets if Kyon never asked her anything.
And as I said before, Kyon is in Yuki's debt.

Quote:
Of course, everything I say will be null and void if Haruhi ends up running for longer than 20 episodes, but, given the rumours and the nature of the next episode preview from this ep, I'm suspecting more and more that Haruhi is going to have an unfortunately premature ending.

Which is a real, real pity.
The ending is next episode. You will find out soon enough.

Novels can have endings without being the size of LOTR.