Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-01-04, 18:05   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

2007 - The Year of Gothic Lolita

I'm noticing quite a few Gothic Lolita offerings for this coming Spring. Normally it's odd to see even a single such title. This Spring we're seeing not just one, or two, but three different titles with a Gothic Lolita style to them.
Princess Resurrection
Saint October
Venus Versus Virus
Suddenly I'm wondering why it is exploding like this. I'm also wondering if there are any that I'm missing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 18:18   Link #2
TronDD
Team the box!

'Cause gothloli is awesome?

Maybe a case where one production company did it, and the rest, while sitting in meetings trying to decide what to produce, said "What are the other companies doing? We can do that too."

I don't care for fanservice of the giant breasts and panty shots variety. This is my kind of fanservice so if they are decent shows I'm all for it.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 18:21   Link #3
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I'm noticing quite a few Gothic Lolita offerings for this coming Spring. Normally it's odd to see even a single such title. This Spring we're seeing not just one, or two, but three different titles with a Gothic Lolita style to them.
Princess Resurrection
Saint October
Venus Versus Virus
Suddenly I'm wondering why it is exploding like this. I'm also wondering if there are any that I'm missing.

The loli-Gothic thing has been snowballing for quite a bit now. Starting with the Rozen Maidens and then Pettie La Corrset. You also had a bunch of side gothic side characters like the girls form To Heart, Canvas 2 and Fruit Basket. The anime companies probably took note of how popular Loli-Goth is and decided to put more out. And once one company is doing the rest probably started to follow like lemmings.

It is kinda like how 2006 was the year of Yuri. Kannzuki No miko and that Maria-something lead the way and now we have Yuri everywhere.
Old 2007-01-04, 18:39   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

How could you have failed to mention Coyote Ragtime Show! The 12 Sisters are the best Gothloli supporting cast EVER! Also, there's a some of that in Death Note as well.

You might be right that this has been snowballing. It just took me by surprise to see three shows in a single season. I'm quite looking forward to this Spring. By way of some celebration, here is AnimeSuki's very own Kairin in Gothloli Style!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-01-04, 18:57   Link #5
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Pettie La Corrset
Obviously you didn't verify the spelling on that one.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 19:27   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Gothic Lolita is quite popular now days. If course it's been some what popular, but it's mostly gained it popularity from the over use of it in Animes.

Here's the article.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 19:58   Link #7
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
heh...its all to do with rozen maiden ouverture and how gin sama has affected view ratings *waves fanboy flag*
but seriously fads comes and goes...tho i wont mind this one staying a bit longer

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 20:21   Link #8
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
heh...its all to do with rozen maiden ouverture and how gin sama has affected view ratings *waves fanboy flag*
but seriously fads comes and goes...tho i wont mind this one staying a bit longer
then it will mix with other fads and we will have Loli-Goth-Meidio-Sis-con-Yuri
Old 2007-01-05, 05:06   Link #9
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
How could you have failed to mention Coyote Ragtime Show! The 12 Sisters are the best Gothloli supporting cast EVER! Also, there's a some of that in Death Note as well.
I may add the gothgoth-loliloli of Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge , though perhaps they're not as much brilliant. I still fail to understand what their role would be

Instead, my favourite example of gothic lolita is probably that of ~uber moe~ Hazuki from Tsukuyomi Moon Phase
Old 2007-01-07, 00:20   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
That's so true. Hazuki does dress up in 100% complete Gothic Lolita. I couldn't force myself to watch that anime, I gave up after episode 8. I suppose i'll finish it, eventually.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 12:30   Link #11
PastPrime

Don't forget the other Vampire show. Karin's little sister Anju, a true gothic lolita.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 22:58   Link #12
Nergol

Goth, Goth - Loli, Loli - nu
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 18:20   Link #13
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:

You might be right that this has been snowballing. It just took me by surprise to see three shows in a single season. I'm quite looking forward to this Spring. By way of some celebration, here is AnimeSuki's very own Kairin in Gothloli Style!

Aren't Venus vs Virus and Saint October Winter shows while PR is a Spring show?
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-09, 20:44   Link #14
Jaruromania

Last year was Shoujo-ai to the extreme, so I guess the execs from a bunch of studios go the bar every end of the year, grab a beer or ten, and decide what sort of a fanservice-oriented theme they'll incorporate into their shows each year. Or something like that.

VVV is gothloli? I understand the goth part, but from the poster, none of the characters look loli to me.
Jaruromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 03:45   Link #15
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Huhn. Sailor Suits, then Maids, then ROBOT Maids, then Yuri, then Gothloli...

I'm more afraid of what comes AFTER this...Has Tsundere ever been big enough to start a snowballing of series? Tsuyokiss excepted, of course.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 11:19   Link #16
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

2007 - The Year of the True ~Moe

Because everyone knows giant robots are moe in the holy words of Daigouji Gai. :P

"GIANT ROBOTS ARE MOE~! MOERU~!"

Quote:
I'm noticing quite a few Mecha anime offerings for this year . Normally it's odd to see more than one mecha series per-season, much less hot-blooded ones. This year we're seeing not just one, or two, but who knows how many different titles with a mecha attached to them, be it classic remake, classic sequel or new robot series.

REIDEEN
Dancougar Nova
GR ~ Giant Robo
Gurren-Lagann
idolM@ster Xenoglossia
Kishin Taisen Gigantic Formula
VOTOMS (( Remake?))
Bokurano
Rebuild of Evangelion
Steel God JEEG
Sousei no Aquarion : ~ Wings of Betrayal
Kiss Dum - ENGAGE PLANET -

I'm fairly sure I missed a few here and there.

And that's even including the ones semi-confirmed like...
Code Geass Season II
Gundam 2007

Suddenly I'm wondering why it is exploding like this, especially following a period of mecha slump especially in the hot-blood sector.
Fixed for a greater justice. :P

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 18:35   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Thank you for the correction, but while it might be moe, none of those robots are Gothic Lolita

Old 2007-01-11, 18:10   Link #18
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I think there's one in Darker Than Black; a blind gothloli no less. And there's also one appearing in Xenoglossia; that one's possibly a robot Both airing in April.

It's like the maid thing before it: a fetish that has slipped into mainstream Japanese culture and gets adopted into anime like all the other memes of that wonderful nation.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 18:42   Link #19
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Does this mean we'll start seeing gothloli cafes springing up all round Japan now?

Next it'll be GothLoliRobotMaids riding around in giant robots that look a lot like cute girls with cat ears...

I dunno about you, but I can't wait!
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 03:16   Link #20
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Neko mimi gothloli robo maid mecha pilot? I am SO there!